Thread: Lesson 4 Prep

Hader's Avatar Things are very seldom what they seem. In my experience, they’re usually a damn sight worse.
    took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Lesson 4 Prep

I've got lesson 4 done and ready, though my personal video I have been making and editing along with the pace of this class is just behind (getting the footage is a pain too because shadowplay is not liking planetside2 for some reason). This really means I may not have the best screenshots to act as visual aides, I can probably get a few in there still so there is still some visual I just prefer it to be from the same project so you can see the continuity.

How are you guys progressing along with your video/gathering material for it? Would you like a little more time for that as well while I try and get more footage myself to finish my project, or you all fine with the next lesson now?

Veteraan's Avatar TATW Local Moderator

Default Re: Lesson 4 Prep

I am capping regularly, but working for two mods at the same time ATM, has meant that I don't have all I need yet.
    So I would not be against some more time.

Citizenised by Shankbot - Patron of b0Gia - House de Bodemloze

IlluminatiRex's Avatar Are you on the square?
    Citizen

Blog Entries

I've gotten a good set of footage, and already threw together a test version of my video but more time would always be appreciated; especially by a procrastinator like me
    I am the author of the "Weaker Towers" and "Officers Of" series of mods for Total War: Warhammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Holmes
    One of the problems with trying to write about the First World War is that most people have already read Wilfred Owen and Siegfried Sassoon, Pat Barker and Sebastian Faulks before you get to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Fisher
    Can the Army win the war before the Navy loses it?

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Veteraan View Post
    So I would not be against some more time.
    same here; due to RL issues I will not have any free time till next friday, so some extra time would be welcomed

besides, I have a question: is anyone expert with FRAPS? I'm taking some footage, but the size of the video is simply crazy.. any tip?
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee

Blog Entries

I agree too. A bit more time would be very helpful

@ Flinn, I personnaly find Fraps a bit "limited". That's why I choose DXtory. For the full version, it cost 3800 JPY which is about 28€ or 31 USD (a little bit cheaper than Fraps ). The good point is that there are numerous tutorials to use it and you can get good quality videos without a huge size.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Blog Entries

err I don't think I will ever spend any cent on such programs man I'm using Fraps free edition and it works fine for my purposes, my only concern is with captured videos size

any free alternative for this? I regret I can't use shadowplay at all.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Blog Entries

OK, I thought you had the "full" version. May be a silly question but have you tried a "google search"? It seems that there are numerous tutorials explaining how to reduce the size of a Fraps' video while keeping its quality.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Blog Entries

I'm the silly one who doesn't googled it, my bad

I'll do it as soon as I'm back home, thanks for the tip mate

And as for a free alternative, there is OBS which I use. The download link can be found in the OP of lesson 1 (introduction) in the recommended programs section.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Flinn View Post
    I'm the silly one who doesn't googled it, my bad

I'll do it as soon as I'm back home, thanks for the tip mate
    No problem.

Hader's Avatar Things are very seldom what they seem. In my experience, they’re usually a damn sight worse.

Blog Entries

Fraps is decent software but there is really no way around its gigantic file sizes. Most other programs are better about it, some have worse overall quality, but others like MSI afterburner have a good quality to file size ratio. Shadowplay is awesome of course but also saves big files when recording on higher qualities (good thing I have a decent size hard drive then)

Blog Entries

Alright, so here's the plan for now. I have my video nearly complete. I just couldn't get enough good footage on my own though, so I was faced with either scrapping it and doing something completely new or finding some other way to get more footage. The latter was obviously more preferrable to avoid scrapping everything, so I managed to contact and old friend from planetside who has plenty of similar footage to mine, and I told him I would make it a dual montage for us. I will still focus on the teaching points for the video, but by the end I hope it to be edited as perfectly as I can so he isn't too disappointed

So it will take a little longer for me to complete mine, but the next lesson won't need it completely done (but pretty close) to be doable. Look for that in the next week hopefully. I know this has gone on a bit longer than planned, but thus is the life you must get used to when pouring effort into videos like this.

Hopefully you all have had enough time for your footage, you will have a little bit more now, but even then, we're almost done so be prepared!

I upgraded my GPU to a GTX 960, partly because of Shadowplay. I tried it and works really well and the quality is great.

It was very disappointing however to find that it is unable to hide the cursor, that really spoils the video footage. I was flabbergasted that they would make this superior video capture software and leave out this very important feature.

Blog Entries

I guess it depends on where you're trying to get footage from, generally I'm getting footage in games where cursor doesn't matter or isn't there in the first place.

The only game I would take the trouble to capture would be a Total War game. I guess that's not a big surprise on this forum.
    So now I must choose between the superior quality and ease of use from Shadowplay and the cursorless footage from OBS.

I noticed there are a lot of threads on the Nvidia forum asking for an option to remove the cursor, but it seems for some mysterious reason Nvidia won't comply (yet?).

Blog Entries

What if you play your battle(s), save it (or them) and only record it (or them) with shadowplay with the replay?

Quote Originally Posted by Lifthrasir View Post
    What if you play your battle(s), save it (or them) and only record it (or them) with shadowplay with the replay?
    I really only play MTW2 Kingdoms. It has a custom battle replay option (of a saved battle), but it automatically ads a battle UI to the screen even when it wasn't there in the original. Also the mouse cursor is visible, not in the saved battle but from the replay screen.

I like your "out of the box" approach on this though.

Blog Entries

Well, I guess that in that case, your only solution is to use the cinematic editor if you want to get ride of all that. There are also a few tips in the old video course.
    Last edited by Lifthrasir; July 21, 2015 at 01:19 AM.

Blog Entries

Lesson 4 pretty much done guys, just waiting on my videos to render and upload and then they shall be posted!