View Poll Results: Should the Applicant be a citizen?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
    The results in this poll are hidden.
  • Yes

The results are hidden 0%
  • No

• Abstain

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [Citizen] HigoChumbo (Patron: Aikanár) [PASSED]

Aikanár's Avatar no vaseline
    Blog Entries

Default [Citizen] HigoChumbo (Patron: Aikanár) [PASSED]

Aik's bit My fellow citizens,

I come before you today with a bad conscience. The reason for this is that I should've brought HigoChumbo before you much earlier. I also should have brought him in a time when I actually have time to introduce him in a proper way. Alas, it's how it is. Life is not all guns and roses.

So, please bear with me when I'm leaving you with this short introduction due to time constraints. HigoChumbo is a fine young chap who loves to discuss, especially in the Attila and Rome 2 forums, but he's no stranger in the Universitas Ludus Olympus either. If you don't know him, be prepared to be hit by some walls of text when you browse through his postings.

I came across HigoChimbo when doing some out of character moderation in the Attila forums. No, not his posts, but he participated in a few threads I had the, eh, fortune, yes, yes, fortune to moderate. I followed him for a while and what I found convinced me. His attitude is usually great, but sometimes his temper can get the better of him. However, he usually calm and friendly and some aggressive debating can't hurt every once in a while, can't it?

But enough of my words, have him in his own word:

Applicant's profile.
    HigoChumbo's Application
    Little bit about myself:

Well, I’m Spanish and 28 since less than a week ago. I “studied” Architecture for 6 years and also tried Computer Science for one. Last year I got a nice management job offering in a company dedicated to fertilizer sales on the condition that I finish Agricultural Engineering, so I came back from Germany (where I had been living for almost a year, fighting to learn the language), enrolled back at University, and that’s what I’m on currently, struggling every day to keep my evenings focused on the intricacies of the artichoke now that properly formatting forum posts has become my new, ridiculously time-consuming hobby.

I registered in TWC back in 2006, although I had been a guest reader for quite longer than that (I started playing Total War when Shogun came out in 2000 and mods rapidly became of interest to me after Rome). I was a member of the official Total War forums before joining TWC, and the main reason why I made the change is that I did not like how restrictive and ultimately unnatural they were. TWC seemed to be a better place to freely share one’s opinions and so far, almost 10 years later, it stands pretty much confirmed that I got that part right.

As for why would I like to be a citizen, well, I had honestly never considered it until I was suggested to by Aikanár (I actually thought that most of those badges were titles for modders and internal TWC staff), but it turns out that I would just be doing the same stuff I do now, which basically sums up to writing dauntingly long posts with lots of editing and plenty of wasted hours meddling with Photoshop and Excel (also known as procrastinating depending on who you ask).

Oh, and arguing as well. Boy I sure love arguing. I'm not fond of conventional, pre-established conceptions and because of that I like to question and relativize everything and not leave any stone unturned, something that annoys the hell out of my buddies since I often find myself defending points of view I do not share just to see what arguments they can bring forward against them. I use that as a way of learning (or making my ultraconservative flatmate reconsider whether she can judge stuff like promiscuity, Hitler's motivations or open bisexual relationships using absolute moral standards) and it is funny because, as cheesy as it might sound, debating in TWC is actually one of the things that has made me better at that (the other being growing up as an only child with an obstinate, single mother ). I do believe that the refuting arguments I got -and still get- from more mature users since I started delving into these forums as a teenager have had a lot to do with that improvement.

I guess that makes TWC a part of my day to day and therefore I'm honored to be considered for citizen (even when I have to admit that not one week ago I had no idea of what that was. I hope I'll be able see you guys once more as just some other posters with flashy badges written in latin instead of the whimsical, scrutinizing, godlike overlords who, I've come to think these past days, will read all this.

Cheers,

Nico. (I'll leave you with today's menu below)

My Contributions in TWC:

A few threads and comments I posted somewhat recently:

As a side note on modding, I’m also (very) slowly learning how to create 3d models which I hope proper modders will be able to use some day.

A handful more miscellaneous posts:

Comments in some the subforums where I usually stroll around:

Last edited by PikeStance; July 13, 2015 at 08:32 AM.

Son of Louis Lux, brother of MaxMazi, father of Squeaks, Makrell, Kaiser Leonidas, Iskar, Neadal, Sheridan, Bercor and HigoChumbo, house of Siblesz

Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Default Re: [Citizen] HigoChumbo (Patron: Aikanár)

I've seen this hombre around, sense of humour and engaging.. Nothing really leaps out but.....

Like a doughnut left in the sun too long, a solid all rounder..

Yes..

Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity
    took an arrow to the knee

Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland

I like his style. The posts that are not humorous are well founded and elaborate contributions.

Motion Carried.
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.
    In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

Riverknight's Avatar Last of the Romans

Those are some nice post.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

mmm overall I'm positive on this, but I'm not convinced yet.

undoubtedly he produced a lot of fun stuff and his great attitude counts a lot in my book, still I don't see that much contributions (but it just might be my limited understanding of what he did precisely). Also
    be considered for citizen (even when I have to admit that not one week ago I had no idea of what that was.
    that's not that nice to say for a 9 years old member..
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Flinn View Post
    mmm overall I'm positive on this, but I'm not convinced yet.

undoubtedly he produced a lot of fun stuff and his great attitude counts a lot in my book, still I don't see that much contributions (but it just might be my limited understanding of what he did precisely).
    Not every citizen will have clear and specific contributions, in such cases we are assessing the whole picture.

that's not that nice to say for a 9 years old member..
    I wouldn't hold that against any one, I'm sure there are thousands of members who never make their way to the curia and have no idea what awards/badges exist.....

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Halie Satanus View Post
    Not every citizen will have clear and specific contributions, in such cases we are assessing the whole picture.
    Indeed. As I said overall I'm positive about this application, but in lack of clear and specific contributions I guess everyone comes with a subjective evaluation; my doubt is that I'm not still fully convinced, I will hear with pleasure from others though (the fact that Aik decided to patronize him and your support are already shifting the balance towards a yes anyway)

I wouldn't hold that against any one,
    not holding anything against anyone, just pointing it; surely it is citizens duty to look around for potential clients and in no case the fact that someone is unaware of citizenship should injure his application, I fully concur.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Veteraan's Avatar TATW Local Moderator

I will skip this one due to me knowing next to nothing, nor being really interested in the parts of the forum HigoChumbo does most of his posting. Of course that says nothing about the quality of the applicant's posting and much about my rather narrow focus on some parts of this site.

I do like the Rome II map he made and the Iberian thread and it of course always nice to see a few instances of a member being helpful but that is not enough to base a vote on.

Citizenised by Shankbot - Patron of b0Gia - House de Bodemloze

Blog Entries

not holding anything against anyone, just pointing it; surely it is citizens duty to look around for potential clients and in no case the fact that someone is unaware of citizenship should injure his application, I fully concur.
    In the past I have taken that stand too, maybe I'm getting soft in my middle years. I take the view that citizenship is not a one size fits all award. Some 'clients' are happy to get the badge and never have anything to do with the curia/patron/client system.

Quote Originally Posted by Vet
    I will skip this one due to me knowing next to nothing, nor being really interested in the parts of the forum HigoChumbo does most of his posting. Of course that says nothing about the quality of the applicant's posting and much about my rather narrow focus on some parts of this site.
    There are links to review the candidate's posts. I don't frequent many of the same forums but I had a poke around and liked what I saw. Wasn't blown away but I thought there was enough.

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Yes from me. He looks like a decent enough candidate.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Halie Satanus View Post
    There are links to review the candidate's posts. I don't frequent many of the same forums but I had a poke around and liked what I saw. Wasn't blown away but I thought there was enough.
    Yes, of course there are links although no that many. But due to my lack of interest in them and the total absence of knowledge about everything related to TW I can't really appreciate them properly even if they well deserve it.

This application could have benefited from a few enthusiastic testimonials from fellow citizens that do know about this stuff (as my own app did).

Blog Entries

I don't like the use of testimonials. Apologies for not presenting this application in a manner that would spare people to at least invest 20 minutes of their time. Because that's pretty much all that is needed to find out about the quality of his postings:
    - click profile
    - click recent posts
    - start reading

But maybe I'm simply expecting too muss. CdeC councillors would have done that, you know.

Also, apologies for providing no links in this post of mine, am writing from my phone.

It seems I'm being misunderstood, deliberately or not. And referring to that abolished institution is not very constructive at all in my view.
    I suspect I spend more time on assessing this application than it took to write the introduction bit, but I never mentioned that as a negative factor.

Oh well, I better just do what I announced earlier and skip this one. Which is not the same as voting no I might add, as to hopefully avoid being misinterpreted.

Blog Entries

I don't think I misunderstood you. It's fairly simple, go to the profile page, click recent posts and start reading.

I think he is a good poster, good reasoning, promotes interest on the things he is around, WAAAAHG kind of things, very active.

And I like los higos chumbos very much, a lot of sweet fruit, many many seeds, and risk of sting. This last part is very pirate.
    Last edited by Bethencourt; July 02, 2015 at 10:52 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Veteraan View Post
    It seems I'm being misunderstood, deliberately or not. And referring to that abolished institution is not very constructive at all in my view.
    I suspect I spend more time on assessing this application than it took to write the introduction bit, but I never mentioned that as a negative factor.

Oh well, I better just do what I announced earlier and skip this one. Which is not the same as voting no I might add, as to hopefully avoid being misinterpreted.
    A, no worries Vet. Though maybe it's best to skip without drawing attention than spend more time skipping than it takes to review..

Beside you know Aik gets very emotional about these things...

And yes Aik, the CdeC would have reviewed, they might also have issued half a dozen censure's that none of them would admit too while doing it. But lets not kick the dead horse, hmm....
    Last edited by Halie Satanus; July 02, 2015 at 12:13 PM.

Posts are thorough and well thought out and he stands out in the TW game subfora as one of the best posters. Not wishing to damn with faint praise but that particular place needs all the decent posters it can get.

A yes from me.
    'When people stop believing in God, they don’t believe in nothing — they believe in anything. '

-Emile Cammaerts' book The Laughing Prophets (1937)

Under the patronage of Nihil. So there.

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Quote Originally Posted by Aikanár View Post
    I don't think I misunderstood you. It's fairly simple, go to the profile page, click recent posts and start reading.
    I think what he's saying is that he can't objectively evaluate your candidate since he doesn't know much about the sort of contributions he's made and voting in an application he doesn't fully understand is against his principles.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

He seems very active in the forums having started many threads on a wide range of topics. If there are no disciplinary issues, than I will support.

Blog Entries

^Nothing that would hinder his application.

Son of Louis Lux, brother of MaxMazi, father of Squeaks, Makrell, Kaiser Leonidas, Iskar, Neadal, Sheridan, Bercor and HigoChumbo, house of Siblesz

Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast