Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Feedback and Suggestions

Tango12345's Avatar Never mind the manoeuvres...
    took an arrow to the knee Content Emeritus spy of the council

Default Re: Feedback and Suggestions

I have not had a chance to play the mod yet, but from screenshots it looks like units use fire by rank. Is this only for early units, or for all units?

I've always been under the impression that mass fire was used more during this era. Most of the Civil War art I've seen portrays units firing all together in close packed formations, or spread far out, in cover, acting as skirmishers. With the faster rate of fire offered by breech loaders, I don't see how firing by rank would be necessary or beneficial anymore.

I could be wrong, of course, I don't know much about the era outside of the American Civil War.
    Earlier units use FBR, later units use mass fire.

How long it lasted in military service depended on the country (For the British for example it was used at least until the martini henry was replaced). In order to keep things simple most early and middle era units use FBR for now (light/irregular troops mass fire), and late ones all mass fire (including against cavalry). This might change in the future, but we would need to make sure the mod remains balanced as far as possible.

Tango do you guys think using İmpreal Destroyer mod map or you guys do your map?
    No idea yet. (This will be my answer to about 90% of map related questions)

♘Top Hat Zebra's Avatar Praepositus
    That place you go to when the world becomes too much? I'm in the world. I'm why it's too much.

Oh, that sounds good then! It will give a great contrast in making later units seem especially deadly compared to earlier ones.
    "Rajadharma! The Duty of Kings. Know you: Kingship is a Trust. The King is the most exalted and conscientious servant of the people."

Tango 12345,you have said that for naval battles you don´t have the models so we would have the naval battles like in the mediaval 2 but i think that you cuold use the models of other games like victorian admirals or ironclads. Also you have to correct some flags like the spanish´s one because it appears the one of the republic instead of the monarchy that was the real flag.

Using models from other games doesn't get past the fact that since we can't mod ship models yet-even if there was a model available we couldn't implement it. Copyright would also make such a move illegal.

I will double check on the spanish flags, it may be an easy fix. If not, it may have to wait quite a while.

Joseon194's Avatar Miles

I wanted to ask if whether or not if the infantry are going to continue using the fire by rank formation when they are firing. I'm no great expert on victorian era military doctrine but I'm sure that whole tactic was phased after or before the napoleonic wars since the rifles were much more powerful and accurate than the flintlock muskets.
    "This is Stannis Baratheon. The man will fight to the bitter end and then some.

Early era 'heavy' units use FBR, late era infantry mass fires. Fire by rank was common throughout the napoleonic wars and well past the 1850s-it was only removed from British doctrine in the 1880s for example. Remember that rifles only went breech loading in the 1860s.
    Last edited by Tango12345; July 05, 2015 at 03:16 PM.

Hey Tango, why isn't there a Moddb page? I believe it would shed quite a bit of light on the mod, not mention grab other modder's attentions.

Because I haven't had time to set one up yet. It's on my list of things to do however.

Victoria Total War
    Great Mod!! I would love to see this mod grow with more features.
    Keep up the great work and good luck in the future!

Hipertenso35's Avatar Foederatus

Only one expression: thank you very much for this brilliant opportunity to recreate creatively projectively this wonderful game.
    As always, we are indebted to this alternative extraordinary and ... Beer ...
    Thank You Again.
    P.D. Excuse the poverty of my english... Abrazo y mi reconocimiento de jugador veterano, chaval.

Tango12345. Will we have the naval battles?

When will be released VTW ?

Please answer , many thanks in advance !

Quote Originally Posted by frederick_1757 View Post
    Tango12345. Will we have the naval battles?

When will be released VTW ?

Please answer , many thanks in advance !
    I think I can anticipate answers for you..

1. Yes, but you won't be able to play them with correct era ships because new models can't be added to Empire.

2. When it's finished

Can you read minds?

What would be awesome, and extra battle sub mod for the game that takes place in the Caribbean, faction wise, Denmark (Danish West Indies), Sweden (St.Barthelemy), France, Great Britain, and the Netherlands.

Quote Originally Posted by kingopai1 View Post
    What would be awesome, and extra battle sub mod for the game that takes place in the Caribbean, faction wise, Denmark (Danish West Indies), Sweden (St.Barthelemy), France, Great Britain, and the Netherlands.

OR Central Asia, the great game! but ETW doesnt allow such endeavours

Tango please start a moddb page too it may give the some mod good attention.... but more release date questions

I plan to set up a moddb page with the next version, which we have most of what we need for. The only thing lacking right now is time to put everything together.

Civis

I have a proposition, for the formation in the late units. You can use the formation of archers or citizens for the late era because they stopped to use line formation.
    Try you please optimize space by compacting units.
    And a question.It would be 40 units per army as has been seen in other mods?
    Thanks for your patience, please not stressed, do it calmly and take the good ideas that you see. And to ignore a hysterical or people who do not understand to you.
    Thank you!

Late units already use much looser formations in the late era. If you select the middle/late option in the custom battle menu in the mod launcher and then select late in-game you will be able to use those units. Have you seen a late unit that does not behave like this?

As for space, the distance between each soldier is already a lot less than vanilla (similar to DarthMod in fact), so, other than making them smaller we can't really make them more compact without them overlapping with each other.

40 unit armies involve making changes to startpos files etc. When most units are a lot bigger than in vanilla already I do not think it is needed at this stage.

Civis

Thanks!

Sigma's Avatar Ducenarius

So some suggestions whenever you get around to the campaign:

Since ship models are almost completely impossible to mod, maybe find a way to make it so you can only auto-battle in a naval encounter? There must be a way to remove or grey out the battle button and leave only the auto battle option I would image.

For governments maybe some factions could have special flags and possibly units to reflect the times:

Like if Russia goes Republic then its flag changes to the Soviet flag and gets Soviet themed units for the late period (The Great War has a good amount of those), If the U.S. goes Constitutional Monarchy or Monarchy its flag changes to something that would imply it's become a dictatorship, rather than your classic style of heraldry and royalty, since that would fit better.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast