Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617

Thread: Download link for Colonialism 1600AD - update (26/03/2018)

Geronimo2006's Avatar TAR Local Moderator

Default Re: Download link for Colonialism 1600AD - update (26/03/2018)

Quote Originally Posted by KATHMANDU View Post
    For anyone wanting to have a peek at this mod, currently there is a playthrough on youtube at Lord John channel, playing as Kingdom of England. Even though he screwed up the starting position and campaign started on 1700 it is still a good way to see what the mod offers at the moment.
    Personally playing a campaign as Spain, the weird fog of war at your own regions (New Spain on vanilla) is a little annoying but a walkaround is to have a unit traveling around so you can select towns to commission construction on them. The naval units cards are misleading, it took me quite some time to gather all 4 Galleons from starting position to send them to a trade node, the unit card says they have 60 cannons and almost 200 crew, but when I got into battle with Netherlands fleet at a trade node I was surprised to find out Galleons only had 16 cannons and 91 crew, a pitiful firing range of less than 300 yards and obviously they are slow as a turtle (land one that is). Thankfully I took corsair ships with them as support and I could manage the fight, which by the way you can only properly win a naval battle by boarding, since cannons do no damage at all (if you hit anything that is, as accuracy must be -100 or something like that), so keep your ships replenished with full stack crew.
    The merchant race built Galleon does not have a coin icon on the unit card, but as the name says 'merchant' I sailed one to try at a trade node and yes it does bring wealth, it is way cheaper, faster and has more cannons than a Galleon so this should be the way to go for trading I guess. All the Galleons look awesome by the way, the details are so nice a a pleasure to see!.
    The units are unbalanced, you will find 150men pike regiment costing over 900 florins and 400 upkeep with the same stats as light marine pikeman of 300men way cheaper to recruit and same upkeep. I spent like two hours on my turn 1 (actual campaign turn 42 from startpos) studying units and strategy, I recommend using the list to browse through all the fleets and armies since some of them are in fog of war and otherwise undetectable even though costs you upkeep (I found 1200 pikemen this way = 4 regiments 1600 florins upkeep, and a trade fleet at indies).

All in all I must say even with all the flaws (it is Beta so understandable) it is still a joy to play it, I am looking forward to reach the 1700's and see if the units etc evolve and see the outcome.

My question will be; is this mod still being worked on? since there's been some time since last update in 2018 if I'm not mistaken.
    If not worked on anymore it is still playable and enjoyable if you can overlook the flaws and enjoy the change in battle tactics from 1700's campaigns.
    I hope this grain of salt helps promote this little gem.
    It is still being worked on but I'm focused more on the Nine Years War submod now.
    Colonialism 1600AD - 2016 Modding Awards for "Compilations and Overhauls".

Core i7 2600 @ 3.4ghz - NVIDIA GTX950 2GB

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

I can't seem to recruit the Ottoman line infantry Isarelys for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by KATHMANDU View Post
    For anyone wanting to have a peek at this mod, currently there is a playthrough on youtube at Lord John channel, playing as Kingdom of England. Even though he screwed up the starting position and campaign started on 1700 it is still a good way to see what the mod offers at the moment.
    Personally playing a campaign as Spain, the weird fog of war at your own regions (New Spain on vanilla) is a little annoying but a walkaround is to have a unit traveling around so you can select towns to commission construction on them. The naval units cards are misleading, it took me quite some time to gather all 4 Galleons from starting position to send them to a trade node, the unit card says they have 60 cannons and almost 200 crew, but when I got into battle with Netherlands fleet at a trade node I was surprised to find out Galleons only had 16 cannons and 91 crew, a pitiful firing range of less than 300 yards and obviously they are slow as a turtle (land one that is). Thankfully I took corsair ships with them as support and I could manage the fight, which by the way you can only properly win a naval battle by boarding, since cannons do no damage at all (if you hit anything that is, as accuracy must be -100 or something like that), so keep your ships replenished with full stack crew.
    The merchant race built Galleon does not have a coin icon on the unit card, but as the name says 'merchant' I sailed one to try at a trade node and yes it does bring wealth, it is way cheaper, faster and has more cannons than a Galleon so this should be the way to go for trading I guess. All the Galleons look awesome by the way, the details are so nice a a pleasure to see!.
    The units are unbalanced, you will find 150men pike regiment costing over 900 florins and 400 upkeep with the same stats as light marine pikeman of 300men way cheaper to recruit and same upkeep. I spent like two hours on my turn 1 (actual campaign turn 42 from startpos) studying units and strategy, I recommend using the list to browse through all the fleets and armies since some of them are in fog of war and otherwise undetectable even though costs you upkeep (I found 1200 pikemen this way = 4 regiments 1600 florins upkeep, and a trade fleet at indies).

All in all I must say even with all the flaws (it is Beta so understandable) it is still a joy to play it, I am looking forward to reach the 1700's and see if the units etc evolve and see the outcome.

My question will be; is this mod still being worked on? since there's been some time since last update in 2018 if I'm not mistaken.
    If not worked on anymore it is still playable and enjoyable if you can overlook the flaws and enjoy the change in battle tactics from 1700's campaigns.
    I hope this grain of salt helps promote this little gem.

Perhaps you can try this if you weren't aware of it? Unit stats have been edited. https://www.moddb.com/mods/colonialism-1600-ad-enhanced
    "Run to the rescue with love and peace will follow"

It is a pity that Geronimo has not yet corrected a mistake in fashion - the creation of the new state of Bohemia (1618) and the location (Prague). It would be an interesting variation of the game.

Geronimo2006's Avatar TAR Local Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by tombergr View Post
    It is a pity that Geronimo has not yet corrected a mistake in fashion - the creation of the new state of Bohemia (1618) and the location (Prague). It would be an interesting variation of the game.
    I will sort that out in a patch when I'm finished the 9yrs war submod.
    Colonialism 1600AD - 2016 Modding Awards for "Compilations and Overhauls".

Core i7 2600 @ 3.4ghz - NVIDIA GTX950 2GB

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

It would be great if it worked.

Keep up the amazing work man, I’m so excited for the next updates and the sub mod too.