Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Windows 10 (moderator take notice please)

Civis

Default Windows 10 (moderator take notice please)

With the impending release of Windows 10, Rome has an issue with starting after being installed clean.

Upgrading to Windows 10 with a working playing copy of Rome already in your files and you will have no problems whatsoever. In fact, you get the smooth playback as even most of the Intel HD lag on the Steam Version has been worked around.

Installing a clean install of Rome to Windows 10 WILL NOT GENERATE the contents of the preferences folder no matter what you do or try at this point.

Attached is my Preferences Folder for Rome and Rome Gold. Disk version or Steam version, this folder is exactly the same and once you install Rome or Rome Gold you will need to download this attachment and drop it into your main Rome folder. Please NOTE: Resolution is set to 1920x1080. You will have to custom modify the preferences.txt to match your desktop resolution if you are using a different resolution and they must be the same for Strategy and Battle!

FULL DIRECTIONS INCLUDING MOD WARNINGS AND HOW TO!

Rome: Dos, Don’ts, Fixes, and whatnot! Please post support questions here!
    Dos, Don’ts, Fixes, and whatnot!

Disk Version if you own Steam Version:

If you activated your Disk Version to Steam, your disks still work if you wish to play mods.

However, in order to install and patch, Steam has you locked out if you own the Steam version installed or not so you must temporarily uninstall Steam to install Rome in order to get it fully patched.

Please note: Uninstalling Rome in Steam rather than uninstalling Steam, the disk will install to the proper nonSteam Folder, but patches will still default to the Steam Rome Location and break your Steam Version when you install Steam again afterwards.

Please note, uninstalling Steam clears your installed games list when you install Steam again. Simply right click the games you want and verify files to avoid downloading again.

If Rome is installed in Steam and from disk, in some cases launching the disk version will still launch the Steam Version because Steam makes itself default. If you have this, you must rename your Rome Folder in Steam to play from disk so it cannot find the Steam to default to.

STEAM/Disk Version:

No matter your operating system, to keep this simplified as it will not hurt older operating systems running Rome, follow step by step in proper order! Do not even waste time attempting to deal with Steam Support, SEGA, or the Total War Forums (OFFICIAL)! They are using my fix, but only in parts which will not work for everyone and makes getting it to work more difficult in the long run!

First Step, browse into Rome Folder and verify you have four files in the internal preferences folder.

Advice
    Keys.dat
    Player.txt
    Preferences.txt

If you do not have the files, go to

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?691946-Windows-10-(moderator-take-notice-please)

Download the preferences folder and drop the contents into place. Membership is free and this is the site you want to get information from if you are interested in mods.

Once you have these four files in place, open Preferences.txt

Here, you need to know your exact desktop Resolution. If you are using an HD Resolution such as 1080p, you need to change it to 1920x1080 which is the exact same setting! I do not care what resolution you use as long as it is full screen and two sets of digits.

If you have a wide screen (longer than tall) make sure

USE_WIDESCREEN:TRUE is present

If you have a square screen, make sure

USE_WIDESCREEN:FALSE is present

Scroll down and find

AA_QUALITY:AA_OFF
    STRATEGY_RESOLUTION:1920x1080
    STRATEGY_MAX_RESOLUTION:1920x1080
    STRATEGY_32_BIT:TRUE
    BATTLE_RESOLUTION:1920x1080
    BATTLE_MAX_RESOLUTION:1920x1080
    BATTLE_32_BIT:TRUE

Make sure AA is set to OFF as above.
    Make sure all resolutions are exactly the same as your desktop as above.

Save, close, right click, select properties, tick the Read Only box, click apply and ok.

This makes sure NOTHING can make changes to this file that are persistent and even changes you make in game will not hold once game is restarted.

Second Step is to go up one level into your Rome Folder. Find RomeTW(.exe) and RomeTW-BI(.exe).
    Right click both, select properties, go to compatibility tab, set to run in XP Service Pack 2 mode, click apply and ok for each.

Third step, leave this window open, browse into Windows/System32 and scroll down to find the d3dx9_XX(.dll) files. XX represents number 24 through 43. Drag a box around them, right click, copy, go to Rome Folder, right click in clear, select paste.

Fourth step closes all these windows now and you go to Steam to your games list, right click Rome, select properties, on the window that pops open select Set Launch Options, add –nm –ne, click ok, close properties.

(Disk version:Make a shortcut for desktop, right click, select properties, add at end of text for target after the quotation "space-nmspace-ne" ( -nm -ne) Please do not actually write space and hit the space bar in the words place! LOL)

You should start up and run just fine at this point. If you end up with Rome in a smaller window, you have the resolution set incorrectly so that something does not match.

ALTERNATE for adding –nm if you want the movies and videos in game, download Klite Codec Pack Mega and install setting Media Player Classic as your default Video player. (There may be others that work fine, but this is the one I know and have used since version 1 and have never had adware, spyware, virus, or problems due to the contents.)

http://www.codecguide.com/download_kl.htm

NOTE: Adding Klite Codec Pack also cuts into the Intel stuttering a little making it better!

Last section is for performance stuttering due to overpowered equipment made well after Rome, especially for Intel Users, but helps all!

Download a Large Address Aware Enabler:

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/large-address-aware.112556/

and use it on both RomeTW.exe and RomeTW-BI

This enables Rome to see and use more than 2GB system Ram and 1GB Video Ram opening them both up to 4GB max.

Go into your video control Panel. In NVIDIA it is listed as Manage 3d settings and I do not remember Catalyst at the moment. Do not change global settings, but change specifically the RomeTW and the Rome TW-BI and set Prerendered Frames to 1

I will edit as needed, but this is the gist of running Rome these days!

MODS General rules for installation...

As some of you have discovered the hard way, most mods are broken after the Steam Conversion patch for online play; Some are not.

Mod Rule #1: No matter that you can just download your Rome again for installation, mame a complete separate manual back up copy of your Rome Folder.

Without this folder, I cannot help you get running again when Steam Cache picks up a modded file as a legit file by mistake. Once picked up, a modded file remains in the cache redownloading over and over leaving Rome broken without a copy of the vanilla files in that manually made backup. Yes, I know steam has a way to back up, but it is suceptible as well.

Mod Rule #2: For a mod to work properly, it must be foldered so as not to replace any vanilla files for Steam to grab up into your cached files.

If there is one that you particularly want that is NOT already contained fully within a mod folder, please allow me to know and I will give the basics, but if that doesnt work, that is as far as I am willing to help with my current lack of available time. Ask my friends and they will tell you I do not support mod installations past telling you where to find what you need in most cases.

If there is a mod that has an installer, I recommend allowing it to install to a dead folder it creates first to make sure it is completely foldered.

If a mod has no instructions for launch, please let me know and I will give you the relevant path as soon as you leave me a message asking for the path to a specifically names mod folder.

When your Rome picks up a modded file as valid, and I say when because if you install mods, eventually it will happen to you.

With a backup folder made manually of Rome...

1)go to your games list and make Steam delete local content.
    2)browse into Steam/common/steamapps and make sure there is no Rome Total War Gold folder any longer. If it is there, delete it and empty your recycle bin now!
    3)copy your back up folder back into place
    4)do not select INSTALL! Rather pick Rome Total War Gold in your games list, right click, select properties, go to local files tab, Verify Local Files!

Now you can play again!

If you do not have a backup folder created, I am sorry, but once Steam Cache picks up a modded file you must uninstall Rome completely, leave it uninstalled for 32 days, then reinstall.

Please NOTE: If you install as little as one hour before Steam resets the cache, you have another 32 days to wait.

Notes to assist:

https://www.slimwareutilities.com/slimdrivers.php

The above is a Microsoft Certified Free Driver Update Utility. The average user has no idea how to find and which to pick where drivers are concerned for main chips. Inclusion has always been a failing of Windows Update as it is up to driver writers for companies to send them to Microsoft and then Microsoft to publish them.

Windows 10 does a good job once it is caught up, but it still needs to be caught up with the appropriately recognizable versions it looks to replace so this benefits 10 as well as previous windows versions to download, run once to catch up and then remove it. Earlier Windows version users will need to keep it and check it every few weeks.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by HawkDreams; October 04, 2015 at 04:15 AM.
    If seeking instant gratification without thought to repercussions, take a shotgun to it!

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Default Re: Windows 10 (moderator take notice please)

Further investigation showed me that the copying of the DX9 files are not needed. Setting up the compatiblity mode is not needed either. Even though my preferences files existed it seemed to be the problem.

So thanks for your solution:

1. Copy the content of the preferences.zip (from http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?691946-Windows-10-(moderator-take-notice-please) ) to your Rome 1 Steam Directory e.g. "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Rome Total War Gold\preferences"

2. Edit the resolution accordingly.

Tested on Windows 10 b10130

The resolution setting in the preferences is indeed the real issue. I setup the graphic settings to default and then it did not launch again.
    NEW: Total War Saga: Britannia benchmark thread - last update: 10.05.2018
    HOW-TO-step-up-from-MBR-CSM-LEGACY-BOOT-to-UEFI-GPT
    Many of my past contributions in the time from 2011-2017 will contain content that now show broken links. Unfortunately I had to delete all pictures linked on TWC that were hosted on imageshack.us. Read why
    If you are missing anything of interest, please let me know. Sorry for any inconvinience caused.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Can you please remove some files from your zip file to enable players to loose as less data as possible.

Players.txt is vital for multiplayer players it contains the database that links CD Keys to player names (#PID)
    Advice just responsible for the adivsor status
    Keys will just overwrite keybindings

ALL Files except preferences.txt will be created on Windows 10.
    Many of my past contributions in the time from 2011-2017 will contain content that now show broken links. Unfortunately I had to delete all pictures linked on TWC that were hosted on imageshack.us. Read why
    If you are missing anything of interest, please let me know. Sorry for any inconvinience caused.

Civis

My instructions are for a new clean install and have nothing to do with losing data. Unless you have saved your own original files from a former install, in which case you already have what I am providing, there is no other way to get loaded the first time because None of the files generate upon first start as they are supposed to do. Most people will simply be upgrading their windows to 10 from where they are and will have no issues as they already have their files. From that point forward, each person is responsible for keeping up with their own data and maintaining their own backups.

So again, just to note in detail, the only problem Rome has with Windows 10 is there is no way to give it the authority to generate its own support files during first time run. You either have your own in backing up your own files or you now have mine here. As with ALL workarounds, this will only be temporary until someone smarter than me comes along and finds another way.

EDIT: I do not actually need or want credit for coming up with how to make this work, but you have absolutely no right using my fix and claiming credit for it by posting it all over the place as your own work. Please go back in and edit your posts giving proper credit at least to an anonymous source from TWCenter or I will find whoever I have to find to have you removed for stealing credit for someone else's work!
    Last edited by HawkDreams; June 21, 2015 at 06:15 PM.
    If seeking instant gratification without thought to repercussions, take a shotgun to it!

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Hello Hawk thank you for your reply. I did not post it all over the place but on one Steam group plus the official Game Hubs. My regrets that I posted it without any reference to your post and not asking for your Steam account either. I have fixed that now and clearly pointed out it was your idea. Then I did that from the beginning as I said "Someone at TWC found the solution" on Steam, and on my TWC thread I wrote "Here is the full solution that is more effective, kudos to Hawkdreams!" and never said I found the solution. What I did is refining the process and investigating it further, e.g. find out that compatibility mode and some other files are not needed.

Again thank you very much and you should be fair to mention I repped you too. The order how I did this was wrong, not to mention you personally in the Steam posts, but I was so happy about your solution works at all.
    Last edited by alQamar; June 22, 2015 at 07:44 AM.

Civis

Thank you. I do not actually care about specific credit, only that someone not take it as their own. If there should be specific credit it goes to TWCenter.net. It was a couple of the Admins here and a whole bunch of the modders that taught me what I needed to find the solution. The only reason it was me rather than them is very few were aware there was a problem yet until you brought it to my attention inadvertently. THAT is my reason for wanting credit back to this site.

Also, the new NVIDIA Video Driver released today. With it, more older games stopped having troubles. Rome will still not run that first time as a clean install, but I will be darned if I can find that single thread inhibiting full admin ability to generate the needed files. I almost suspect it is a video codec holding it back that is out of date according to Windows 10. An improperly registered codec would stop it and since this was also a 1 in maybe 1000 issue already on windows Vista, 7, and 8.1 especially 64 bit releases, I am still leaning that way but evidently I have become stupid because I have not found it at all since the Steam patch enabling multiplayer and it wasnt until Windows 10 that I could even duplicate the problem as I use a privately assembled codec pack beginning with the K Lite Codec base.

still working on windows 10?

HMonk's Avatar Decanus

Will this fix work with windows10 pro 10240?

Thanks
    The Best Computer is Your Computer!

Civis

This fix works for installation. I have some updates to make to the original post and am working on them today

this fix also works on Rome total war ALEXANDER
    i have just tried getting Rome total war to work on windows 10 i was getting a black icon on the taskbar that when i hoverd the mouse over it looked like an instalation icon and in task manger i was getting the rome total war has stopped responding i asked on steam forums and iwas redirected to this sight i tried the fix and it worked on ROME total war and reading throught the fix it seemed to be a graphics problem so i was having the same problem in ROME tootal war alexander so i copied the files over to the ROME total war alexander file and i tried ROMEtotal war alexander and it worked

it should do i got 10240 working which is the release version off windows 10

out off interest medieval 2 works in windows 10 as well

Do I need Winrar or 7zip for your file to work? Because I put it in Steam>steamapps>common>RTW Gold> preferences, and it didn't work. I still have a black screen a launch. Can anyone help?

So if I have the game on disk, I can't play it on Windows 10?

Frankly, I'm heartbroken!

Hi Didn't work for me. I followed your instructions and made sure that the resolution was the same, but no joy. Can you help. I have a new laptop which I have just upgraded to windows 10 and I decided to install Rome Total War, but it will not run. Thanks

I don't suppose there is a walk through anywhere online? not as computer savvy as I would like to be :-)

Thank you! Everything is working.

Hi HawkDreams - Have you found a solution for compatibility between Windows 10 and Rome I? (as in the original). I have the orange and blue icon over my Rome icon stating "do you want to allow this app from an unknown publisher to make changes to your PC?" which then refuses to run the program. When I go into trouble shoot compatibility mode, Windows kicks back stating I need administrators permission (even though I am the administrator). I'm on disk and not through Steam, can you help please?

Serapio's Avatar Semisalis

i have the same problem like D3cptor is there a chance for a solution?

I too cannot get RTW to even show up in a screen. I got windows 10 and installed RTW from the CDs. I put the preferences folder up top in the RTW main folder after I used WinRAR to extract. I changed my resolution to fit my display settings 1600x900. Then run as admin and nothing happens... This has been my favorite game for 10 years now. Please Help.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast