Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Total War: Karling [development started]

Miles

Default Total War: Karling [development started]

Introduction
    Total War: Karling is a full conversion mod for Total War: Attila, taking place in the early 8th century as the balance of power in Europe and the east is about to shift. In Francia, a new dynasty is about to take power; The Karlings. A family that is known for generals such as Charles Martel and Charlemagne. But as the Franks emerge reborn from the ashes of civil war, others won't sit idly by as the Karlings unleash their conquest. The Caliphate in the east is ever expanding, invaded Iberia and stands on the doorstep of Gaul. Turkic hordes are burning, raiding and pillaging much like the Huns before them. The Roman Empire may be weakened by war, but new leaders rise who may turn the tides.

Total War: Karling is about offering a wide variety of playable factions and each with their unique challenges. Combining the narrative driven experience of Attila with the sandbox nature of Rome II we intend to find balance between both. As the sandbox experience unfolds, new scripted invasions are planned to bring further chaos to the experience. Viking raids are ever expanding in the north and Indian kingdoms will take any opportunity to strike back against the Umayyad. Through event messages you can follow the story of these people who will without doubt cause havoc in your lands.

The team is small and it'll take some time to develop the mod. But we're dedicated to make this happen and hope for a lot of support along the way.

Austrasia, Frisia and the Visigoths

Rome. Its flame that should've lasted an eternity, is now nearly extinguished. The German Kingdoms that emerged from the ashes of the Roman west chose to follow in the footsteps of their former masters. But like the Romans, nothing is eternal. A fate the free people in Gaul so eagerly ignored.

Pepin of Herstal may have united the Franks again, but his death was inevitable and soon left Francia scattered as old wounds reopened. His grandson Theudoald became rightful heir and duke of all Franks. Karl Martel, the illigimate son, was taken to the dungeons as he tried to take power for himself. But when Karl escaped and emerged again he plunged Austrasia into civil war.

Pepin's ruthless wars against the Neustrians in the past left them humiliated. As Austrasia fell to its knees, Neustria prepared for war. With Raganfrid as their Mayor and the Frisians as their vassals they opposed any Pippinid who dared to take power. The Pagan vassals however had no intention to remain loyal to their rivals forever.

A once mighty kingdom is torn apart and Aquatania stands without allies. All their requests to the north denied, all their pleads ignored. For on the doorstep of the Pyrenees stand the last remnants of the Visigoths as they flee into Gaul. Iberia has been overrun by the Umayyad Caliphate. And they will stop at nothing to hunt down the Goths and those who dare to harbour them.

Umayyad Caliphate

Hailing from Mecca, the Umayyad Caliphate experienced a long period of prosperity. As the people of the east stand united, the venture into Europe is about to begin. However this rapid expansion has left them with many enemies. The ongoing conflicts are about to become a strain on morale, public order and wealth.

The war against the Roman Empire in Asia minor is stagnating as their Emperors choose defense above offense. From the Steppe, the legacy of the Huns known as the Khazar Khaganate, relentlessly raids villages on the borders. In Iberia, Berber and Visigothic remnants defy Umayyad rule and flee into Gaul under the protection of Aquataine. The Franks may have descended into civil war, but their eyes will turn south once their internal rivalry ends.

Surrounded by enemies, few realize the real threat would emerge from within. The Abassid dynasty is gaining more support by Arabs and Malawi and steer towards a revolt. But if none of these challenges brings the Umayyad dynasty to their knees, the righteous people will bring light to the world once again.

2 new Features (as of 21-12-2015)

• Smaller price and wealth ranges. In Total War: Karling 500 talents is considered a lot. Unit and building prices have been adjusted to match to lower wealth. Initially this doesn't change that much (if everything is balanced accordingly), however we also plan to make it harder to gain too much wealth in a relatively short amount of time. Most buildings will have an upkeep cost attached to it. While they'll be small in price, the impact becomes much more apparent during a war. You'll find yourself closer to being bankrupt as higher tier buildings require more and more wealth. This makes the effectiveness of agents a lot more interesting too.

• Sanitation domination. Sanitation will be the primary factor. Too much squalor and you'll find diseases and low public order throughout your kingdom or empire. A lot of buildings result in squalor, while others dramatically increase sanitation. Very few buildings result in the loss of food or lowered public order (directly).

Credits:

Undeadsloth
    El Cid
    succettitim6
    Avetis
    Ahiga
    FrozenmenBG
    GrudgeNL
    Last edited by GrudgeNL; December 21, 2015 at 04:19 PM.

Default Re: Total War: Karling [development started]

I very like this setting i wish you the best with this project

I am eager to see what you do with he roman roster, I always hoped to one day see the roman army of this period in history

Linke's Avatar Hazarapatish

Yee! (Reped as I said, although I accidentaly only wrote "tha")
    Last edited by Linke; October 25, 2015 at 09:28 AM.

Can't wait!!!

really nice!

just what I wanted... NOW HURRY UP

Nice project ! i'll follow your works guys !

This would be even better on the Last Roman campaign, considering there is Paris.
    French commentaries for TW and RTS:http://www.youtube.com/user/leviath40

Quote Originally Posted by leviath View Post
    This would be even better on the Last Roman campaign, considering there is Paris.
    Paris wasn't the capital for Austrasia under Charles Martel or Charlemagne. Its also currently really bland on that map if you haven't taken a look at it (its actually just a copy and paste of the Londinium map), the only really unique cities are Carthago (which isn't anything special), Rome, and Ravenna.
    Last edited by Undeadsloth; June 28, 2015 at 01:16 PM.

Miles

Quote Originally Posted by barry12 View Post
    just what I wanted... NOW HURRY UP
    We'll do our best xD

The Wandering Storyteller's Avatar Content Staff

This is coming good!

Any previews yet or is it too early in this stage?

Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Age of Empires 2 HD View Post
    This is coming good!

Any previews yet or is it too early in this stage?
    Soon We recently figured out how to get the political parties working. Now we've got all playable factions in the startpos. The following steps are family trees, custom names, custom religions and the non-playable factions. After that's the done, the entire campaign map will be part of a preview.

Quote Originally Posted by GrudgeNL View Post
    Soon We recently figured out how to get the political parties working. Now we've got all playable factions in the startpos. The following steps are family trees, custom names, custom religions and the non-playable factions. After that's the done, the entire campaign map will be part of a preview.
    Ah good, that will be excellent.

But, then how can you show the entire campaign map, when you have to replace the city models? I mean Arabain cities are def gonna look different from Sassaind cities, albeit some influences, but there are domes, and etc. Or will you continue to keep the Attila models, because they're alright, but I'd change them if we're talking about the phasing into the medieval era. I was reading some post on the forums that he couldn't convert TED file into CS2 campaign. How will you combat this?

How about sending custom battle testing? I'm sure the community will be there to help you out.

Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Age of Empires 2 HD View Post
    Ah good, that will be excellent.

But, then how can you show the entire campaign map, when you have to replace the city models? I mean Arabain cities are def gonna look different from Sassaind cities, albeit some influences, but there are domes, and etc. Or will you continue to keep the Attila models, because they're alright, but I'd change them if we're talking about the phasing into the medieval era. I was reading some post on the forums that he couldn't convert TED file into CS2 campaign. How will you combat this?

How about sending custom battle testing? I'm sure the community will be there to help you out.
    Regarding building models, we'll have to rely on the vanilla models for now until CA fixed the BOB building conversion process. Campaign map building models will be more difficult to implement compared to battle models I imagine. I can't comment on battle testing as we're still busy trying to figure out what kind of battles we want.

If they want a preview, want me to show the quick edit I did of those armors for you guys, Grudge? (I also forget if I sent you the third texture of it, I think I did)

Quote Originally Posted by GrudgeNL View Post
    Regarding building models, we'll have to rely on the vanilla models for now until CA fixed the BOB building conversion process. Campaign map building models will be more difficult to implement compared to battle models I imagine. I can't comment on battle testing as we're still busy trying to figure out what kind of battles we want.
    There are alternate ways around it -

You can change the look of small cities and towns I presume? Make it more like Medieval 2's settlements.

You can also use Terry to change the way the campaign map looks - is this possible for you guys to do so?

It will be difficult because CA haven't been that good since Shogun 2, but I think the editior is somewhat similar - we will have to wait and see.

Sure Aghia, would love to see some of the armor!

@AOE2HD We are going to try our hand at improving settlements on the battle map, mostly to make them look more unique but we're still looking into this.
    @Ahiga I'm also interested in seeing this armor.

Cannot wait for this mod!

Age of Empires/Undead - it was a five second edit of CA's recent colored ptergues armor. I made the ptergues leather, alpha channeled out one of the superfulous ones (so it's the little scalloped edge ones and then two, not three),

The middle lamellar is from Narf's OSP Rus pack (and the lamellar in the bottom pic is Narf's), left and right of it are CA's. I based it off a concept from the Armies of the Dark Ages Wargaming book, so I hadn't seen the primary reference they used but I'm fairly sure it's accurate - the shield/helmet and boots not so much, I just threw those on when I was taking the pic. I need to make the rightmost lamellar more shiny, and it's possible now that I've learned to make metal look more metal that I will be able to do my own lamellar patterns rather than re-use existing ones.

Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast