Thread: Is Epirus roster final?

Default Is Epirus roster final?

So, I've played DeI for a while and I LOVE it!
    Hell, the only reason I bought Rome II was to get my hands on this master piece!

I've been recently playing campaign for Epirus and I am wondering wheter its unit roster's visuals are final.

I think it would be lovely to see more distinct units with variety going beyound faction coulours.
    Given the fact that Epirus shared alot of equipment features with other Alexander's successor states, how about adding a painted helmet as in the image below and giving some more distinct shield patterns to the Epirote units?

I've also see the preview of additional units that will be added in the new version and my question relates to those that fought in Pyrrhus' army: Lucanian Light Infantry, Lucanian Hoplites (AOR), Bruttian Infantry. Where will the units that are not mentioned as AOR be recruitable by Epirus?

Default Re: Is Epirus roster final?

I actually like the current Epirus Roster, the units (especially late game ) feel very Epirote-like. Like you are suggesting there is always room for improvement, yet I feel like the suggestions you make are minor details. Helmet color doesn't really seem like a priority to me whilst other factions need some more love compared to this pretty awesome faction. I mean, you already get Mollosian dogs, a large variety of pikemen and some awesome Hypaspists who all look amazing with decent soldier difference. I'd say Epirus scores a decent 9/10.

About the 'Additional Units', I think the units you are talking about will be recruitable for Epirus but only Ritter and the other DeI members know for certain. The Additional Units post isn't very clear on what units will be AoR or just sunk into a faction,

So you suggest a nice improvement which isn't really relevant at this phase of this mod for this particular faction.
    Hope this helps explain why you will probably have to wait a decent time before you will see more improvements to Epirus.

Extra note: Changing the way these units look might actually be not that hard if you just want to change the color of some shields and helmets. Maybe ask around in the submod area?
    Last edited by Diadochiwelike; June 16, 2015 at 07:07 AM. Reason: Added extra note.
    "Born to late to explore the Earth
    Born to early to explore the Cosmos
    The human mind is our Frontier
    Religion is the ocean we must cross
    "

Thanks for the quick response!

I do think the current Epirus roster is complete when it comes to its composition, so I do agree with you. Of course, I agree that other factions deserve some love and so far the developers have been doing a great job reworking them.

However, the visuals for most units feel like a placeholder to me.

Most pike infantry units have vanilla armour. The elite white and bronze shileds have some more variation, yet more like recoloured Macedonian analogue. Same goes to the shield patterns - barely any difference from that of Macedon. They simply do not feel unique compared to other post-Alexandrian successor states' units if you have a look at their respective Faction Previews.

In addition, there is no preview for the Kingdom of Epirus which made me think that the visuals for the units as they are now are a placeholder.

To conclude I'd say that in a mod where minor details make significant difference some unique features like painted helmets, faction specific shield patterns and maybe some more variety in armours (especially linothorax) will be needed to make this faction look more distinct.

It feels like nothing is ever "final" with this mod. I am all for making small changes to make each faction have some more unique looks to it. I did however make a general variant based on Pyrrhus for DEI 1.05. (Plus all other generals changed now)

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: