Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Attila-Style Building Icon Mod

Default Re: Attila-Style Building Icon Mod

Quote Originally Posted by Benjin View Post
    Thanks all for the words of encouragement, I am now back from holiday and will start work on it again.

This is a really good bit of crit and I agree with what you said about the symbols. The reason I wanted to include them initially was because of DeusEx010101's "Better Building Icons" mod, which had happiness and food symbols on the icons. This made it easier for me to quickly identify its immediate effects when built. However, I do agree that they diminish the quality of the icons a bit; they make the images seem more crammed to the top right. I could also make a separate version which have no symbols on them if you'd like, that way people have a choice as to whether they want symbols or not on their buildings.
    Hope you had a good holiday.

now play time is over its work time. Lol.

Glad you see my point about the effect icons although there still way better than the vanilla ones as they are.
    An alternate Version without the effect icons would be awesome. I'm sure folk would appreciate that.
    Will that involve a lot of work or is it easier now you have already the building cards.
    is there any way I can help?
    For me I just want the Roman icons and can't wait for your mod to come out.
    Will you still be releasing the Roman icons before you move onto other faction icons. Please say yes. Pretty please. Beg beg beg....

Benjin's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Dicanio35 View Post
    Will that involve a lot of work or is it easier now you have already the building cards.
    is there any way I can help?
    For me I just want the Roman icons and can't wait for your mod to come out.
    Will you still be releasing the Roman icons before you move onto other faction icons. Please say yes. Pretty please. Beg beg beg....
    It won't involve a lot of work, it's very simple to do; hide the symbol's layer group on each of the icon images and then make a separate package file for them.

Anyone can help by providing images for buildings I haven't done yet, the most time consuming part of this has been spent taking images of the assets ingame for buildings which don't have suitable counterparts from Attila's building images. If you do wish to do this, send them to me through a PM. If I decide to use one or more of them, I will credit you. While taking the images, keep in mind of good composition and, if it's a building that gets bigger (like the icons I did for the Roman religious tree), try to keep the same angles and maybe the weather/time of day/shadow light sources as well to maintain the formula.

And yes, I said a few posts back that when the Roman ones are done I'd be releasing an early version with just them, and then add the other culture groups (Hellenistic, Barbarian, Eastern) over time.

General Maximus's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

This is amazing. I hate the lazy original building icons that CA created.

+Rep and well done, mate. Eager to see more icons.
    सार्वभौम सम्राट चत्रवर्ती - भारतवर्ष
    स्वर्गपुत्र पीतसम्राट - चीन
    महाराजानाभ्याम महाराजा - पारसिक

You are doing good work here and I commend you for it. I would also like to second the motion for a version without the effects symbols. That way people can use these icons even if they have modifications installed that alter those effects.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrician View Post
    I would also like to second the motion for a version without the effects symbols. That way people can use these icons even if they have modifications installed that alter those effects.
    Very good point.

@ Benjin
    How's the mod going.
    Im literately twitching waiting for the first part to come out.
    Any idea of first release date ye?

keep up the great work that your doing.

Bento's Avatar Tiro

Great to see this, thanks for the effort you're putting in.

So much better and more informative at a glance than the vanilla.

Benjin's Avatar Artifex

Sorry about the lack of updates, I've been pretty busy on my website and 3D work lately. Rest assured that I have been working on it on and off (a building branch a day rather than a whole building tree a day). This is an example of the resource icons I finished last week. I'll show the rest of them later.

Benjin's Avatar Artifex

Here are the rest of them. I only have the Military, Industrial, Town Centre and Minor Settlement trees left, and then the first version will be uploaded.

Resource Settlements #2

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Resource Settlements #3

Provincial Settlements

Ports

For the Portus Classus icon (Level 4 - Military Wharf), I painted a bit more water on it to look a bit like Portus (AD46). Example image of Portus included (not made by me).

Ingame Examples

I got rid of the borders around the icons, so that you can now properly see the colour keys for each type of building.

Benjin's Avatar Artifex

Almost there...

I hope to have the first version of this mod finished (only Roman icons, I haven't started the Barbarian/Hellenistic/Eastern ones... yet) and downloadable in a few days time. The next post I make will be when its released. When that happens, I'll also edit the first post of this thread to include the links and the new icon trees I've posted since.

ROMAN - MILITARY - RECRUITMENT

ROMAN - MINOR SETTLEMENTS

SUPPORT FOR GRUDGE'S UI MOD

This is a very minor detail, but I realised that when I enabled Grudge's UI mod, the white icon borders and the big, fat, yellow selection border, which I both wanted to remove as they would block my building icon's effect symbols, would reappear. This is because he assigned the factions new UI groups, which were not being overridden by my mod. So, I went ahead and created new folders, under the headings of his new UI culture groups, and replaced them with something which, I think, complements his mod.

When you have both my and Grudge's UI mod installed, you will get colour-coded selection boxes which represent which culture you're playing as. For example, if you're playing as Rome, you will have a red selection box (Latin - Red). If you're playing as a Greek faction, you will have a light blue selection box (Hellenistic - Light Blue) etc. If you don't have Grudge's UI mod installed, then you just get the default, yellow selection boxes for every faction.

Also, on an extra note, I have gone through the building culture group tables and updated each building's icon to now be unique rather than share icons. Previously, when I changed the Roman faction's icons, there were some factions who had their icons changed as well (e.g. Barbarian ports, Greek religious etc shared Rome's icons). Now, provided that I create the icons, each faction's buildings will now have unique icons with their own effect symbols. This was really tedious, but it had to be done.

(Grudge's UI mod not installed / culture group not assigned)

GRECO-ROMAN

HELLENIC

BARBARIAN - CELTIC

BARBARIAN - GERMANIC

NOMADIC

EASTERN

EGYPTIAN

Last edited by Benjin; August 31, 2015 at 05:53 PM.

Benjin's Avatar Artifex

The Roman building trees have now been finished (to see them, check the first post. They're under the "Roman" spoiler tags). The beta is now out on Steam Workshop.

Download Link
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=511056968

Last edited by Benjin; August 20, 2016 at 08:42 AM.
    3D ARTIST (MODELS/TEXTURES), ANIMATOR, RIGGER

Beautiful work! Thank you!

Great work. Been waiting for this for ages.
    can we have it as a standalone download please as I don't use my steam online.

thanks

Benjin's Avatar Artifex

Posting the comment I made on my workshop file's page:

I was wondering; would you guys appreciate it if I released a Photoshop template in the package file for creating these icons? Perhaps you could contribute in the creation of the rest of the icons, since I predict that I'll be too busy doing stuff related to my career for the next few months, to properly focus on this mod like I was doing for the past few weeks.

It's not unheard of, I believe this practice was used for Normal's Unit Icons (another awesome mod). Even if I did have nothing else to do and started to focus solely on this project, it would still take quite a bit of time to finish and some assistance would get it finished faster.

UMCenturion's Avatar Ducenarius

Quote Originally Posted by Benjin View Post
    Posting the comment I made on my workshop file's page:

I was wondering; would you guys appreciate it if I released a Photoshop template in the package file for creating these icons? Perhaps you could contribute in the creation of the rest of the icons, since I predict that I'll be too busy doing stuff related to my career for the next few months, to properly focus on this mod like I was doing for the past few weeks.

It's not unheard of, I believe this practice was used for Normal's Unit Icons (another awesome mod). Even if I did have nothing else to do and started to focus solely on this project, it would still take quite a bit of time to finish and some assistance would get it finished faster.
    Not sure if you spoke with ABH the mod leader for AE, but that would be great. I am in charge of 2d art for the project, and would love to implement your ideas if possible. Great work btw.
    Last edited by UMCenturion; September 07, 2015 at 03:08 PM.

Mod Lead - UI/2D Art - Custom Map Editing

That would be really cool

Northman75's Avatar Tiro

Beautiful icons, really nice work you did with this. Thanks

non steam link?

Really nice initiative. Is there still any activity or is this mod dead?

Benjin's Avatar Artifex

Not dead, just suspended for a few months - I'm focused on getting my degree.

I understand. Good luck, mate!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast