Thread: Add ships to trade nodes???

argonian68's Avatar Laetus

Icon5 Add ships to trade nodes???

Hello all,

I am trying to figure out but haven't had much luck on how to add ships to the trade nodes through modding. I want the coast of Brazil to be completely dominated by the Portugese and the East Indies to be dominated by the Dutch. Brazil and the East Indies were territories of the Portugese and Dutch (respectively). This is not represented in the game other than just one trade fleet in one node in each theatre (weak). I feel that all 5 trade nodes in each theatre should by completely dominated by one faction with at least 3 ships each. Brazil-3 galleons per node, East indies, 3 fluyts per node.

How can I add this in the game?

I've messed around with the esf editor and haven't had any luck and have not been able to find any tutorials on this?

Any help please?

Dylan

Attached is a map of the world in 1700s. Would very much like to try and match to the best of my ability. Notice South East Africa dominated by Portugese.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1700_CE_world_map.PNG  

Default Re: Add ships to trade nodes???

I'm not sure what you mean.

Each trade zone has five trade ports, its really up to the AI and player how and if they expliotthem or not. At the start of the campaign there are not trade fleets using any of the trade nodes, if fact they are dominated by pirates who will sink anything in the area until someone sends a naval fleet to deal with them.

Are you wanting to force the AI to place ships on specific trade nodes?

huh ?
    UP start with a fleet in west indies, Portugal start with a fleet in ivory, and another one in Brazil.

Imperial Destroyer has made ports and resources in west indies, probably belonging to UP,
    i dont really follow that mod these days
    My 6 2nd rates routed in horror from 1 brig + 1 5th rate on auto-resolve....

Correction your quite right, there is a Dutch trade fleet in the East Indies at the start of their campaign. It's obviously been a long while since I played the Dutch. Not sure about the Portuguese as for some reason I can't select them as a faction, but I suspect you're right.

Not sure how you would add more ships to these area's at the start, but it must be possible. Perhaps it would be better to ask in the modding forum.
    Last edited by Didz; June 15, 2015 at 02:22 AM.

Yes, at the start of the game I would like to see the Brazilian trade nodes occupied with Portuguese ships and the East Indies with Dutch ships. I've been trying to figure this out with the esf editor. I managed to give the dutch 20 units of fluyts in their already occupied trade node through the startpos but can't figure out how to add to other nodes in the same theatre.

did you just clone a ship several times ?

Yes, and made sure to change the name and adjust the stats. For instance, in the East Indies the Dutch fleet consists of a brig, sloop, and three Fluyts. I switch the brig and sloop names to Fluyts, however I still had to manually adjust the stats to make sure it had that of a fluyt and not a brig. Also, I had to rename each ship (after cloning 20 of them)to a corresponding address to the names in the PACK file.

yes, i changed UP home fleet to 4th rates and Portugal fleet on ivory to galleons so i know what has to be done,
    but i didnt xeroxing ships so didnt know if it works,
    where in pack files did you have to edit ?

Ok, xeroxing the ships may not work, I noticed i was having some crash to desktops when the pirates attacked me and entered battle. If you don't mind can you let me know how you added your ships? I believe my method may be flawed.

As for the pack files, I didn't add anything just used it as a reference to rename the ships i duplicated. The ships have an address bar corresponding to a name in the pack files. For instance, a galleon the startpos doesn't have a name it just has an address to the pack, something like /local_En/ship__onscreen_name_3001 which if you look that up on the pack files text it is an address to a name, so on the pack file it would look like this ship_onscreen_name_3001 might equal an onscreen name like El Santiago.

i never added ships, i only changed type and stats from brig/sloop/indiaman to 4th rates/galleons,
    so: same number of ships in the fleet before and after

How can you be sure the Dutch won't just take their 20 fluyts off the trade node and use them to wipe the board with all the other navies. Twenty fluyts is a pretty powerful fleet in the early game. I used them as cheap warships when I played the Dutch faction.

Imperial Destroyer team managed to make regions in east indies,
    i'm hoping they will do a vanilla version with all those wonderful factions & regions,
    minus the other changes in I.D

Didz- I also did the same for Portuguese in Brazil. However, the game keeps crashing when duplicated ships go to battle, I'm really stumped trying to figure out how to fix this and as you can imagine I haven't been able to go more than a few turns before I get a ctd once a duplicated fleet goes to battle.

Poa- Yeah I really wanted to download I.D. when I read about the region changes but I'm not too big on some of the other stuff they added especially the ntw style effects which imo were kinda cheesy. I would like to see darthmod with new added regions like that. I really like the effects in dme 8.01.

Quote Originally Posted by argonian68 View Post
    Didz- I also did the same for Portuguese in Brazil. However, the game keeps crashing when duplicated ships go to battle, I'm really stumped trying to figure out how to fix this and as you can imagine I haven't been able to go more than a few turns before I get a ctd once a duplicated fleet goes to battle.
    That would suggest to me that the individual units have a some sort of unique identifier which is causing a conflict when the game engine tries to reference it. That makes logical sense, as the game would have to have some way of referencing a specific unit in order to track battle damage etc. Which might be why it's not a problem until you get into a battle.

Thanks, that does make a lot of sense.