Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Modding possibilties

Default Re: Modding possibilties

I dont think they are gonna go out of their way to make modding impossible. They simply not gonna release mod tools, I bet.

Quote Originally Posted by Dictator Of The Roman Republic View Post
    There is no modding allowed because its a different team within CA that is working in collaboration with another company I believe is Relic, CA don't fully hold the rights and so can't claim or add its own company features such as modding support and tools etc. Because they don't have full ownership there is no way for them to allow the game to be manipulated by client side use with support and tools.
    I think Relic is not involved, how did you come to that conclusion? The other company that is involved is GW obviously. And I think it's because of them that they won't support modding, as GW doesn't want their games to become something else.

But modding will always be possible, as people will always find a way. Just look at medieval 2 or rome, they weren't supported in any way, and look what people did. I know the engines are a lot different, and we can't really compare them to modern games, but as I said, people will always find a way. So I'm not too worried by this whole thing. I don't know why people are so freaked out. Of course, it won't be as easy, but it will be possible.

Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Collateral_dmg View Post
    I think Relic is not involved, how did you come to that conclusion? The other company that is involved is GW obviously. And I think it's because of them that they won't support modding, as GW doesn't want their games to become something else.

But modding will always be possible, as people will always find a way. Just look at medieval 2 or rome, they weren't supported in any way, and look what people did. I know the engines are a lot different, and we can't really compare them to modern games, but as I said, people will always find a way. So I'm not too worried by this whole thing. I don't know why people are so freaked out. Of course, it won't be as easy, but it will be possible.
    right. I think all the mod tools for Medieval 2 were community developed. Medieval 2 was not fully moddable from day one. You could edit the txt files(scripts, edu, and such) but editing models or textures was a no go until the great modders of this community developed tools to convert the files to be messed around with on a 3d modelling program (ive only used milkshape for med 2)

Modding being unsupported and being impossible are two vastly different things.

Personally i hope CA does a great job with the base game, things that are hard coded and can't be modded.

Personally i hope CA does a great job with the base game, things that are hard coded and can't be modded.
    There will always be hardcoded stuff yes. And I agree, they should put more effort into making those core elements work, the ones we can't change as easily or at all. The rest can be solved by modding, as it has always been in TW games, but I know no one wants half-finished games either, so there is definitely a lot of work and pressure involved.

Senator

There will always be hardcoded stuff yes. And I agree, they should put more effort into making those core elements work, the ones we can't change as easily or at all. The rest can be solved by modding, as it has always been in TW games, but I know no one wants half-finished games either, so there is definitely a lot of work and pressure involved.
    yes i would rather want to mod this game because it's great, than have to mod this game because it sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Saladin View Post
    yes i would rather want to mod this game because it's great, than have to mod this game because it sucks.
    Exactly, but seeing the latest games from CA, that is probably not going to be the case :/ but oh well, I will definitely buy the first game and see how it goes, and if it doesn't deliver, we shouldn't be very surprised. Look at the positive side, at least we would be able to fix it to a degree

The Wandering Storyteller's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Well Rome 2 had no modding tools - look at the hundreds of mods created.

I suspect there will be mods to change the simple aspects, unit mods as well can be added.

Quote Originally Posted by Age of Empires 2 HD View Post
    Well Rome 2 had no modding tools - look at the hundreds of mods created.
    uhhhh--

♘Top Hat Zebra's Avatar Praepositus
    That place you go to when the world becomes too much? I'm in the world. I'm why it's too much.

Empire Total War and Napoleon had no mod tools. There are plenty of mods for those.
    "Rajadharma! The Duty of Kings. Know you: Kingship is a Trust. The King is the most exalted and conscientious servant of the people."

Quote Originally Posted by Orkfaeller View Post
    Those aren't real modding tools though. You don't have TED or anything like that. It comes no where near the Shogun 2 modding tools.

I can understand the decision for GW to block official modding support. Warhammer is a large franchise, and they let loose modding there could be some weird legal issues. But if this game sells well, they are totally going to give support.

Quote Originally Posted by swdgame View Post
    I can understand the decision for GW to block official modding support. Warhammer is a large franchise, and they let loose modding there could be some weird legal issues. But if this game sells well, they are totally going to give support.
    GW is a stubborn bunch, so even if the game sells massively I doubt they will support modding. GW is the only reason why modding is not supported.

GW is a stubborn bunch, so even if the game sells massively I doubt they will support modding. GW is the only reason why modding is not supported.
    Modding was supported for the Dawn of War games. I'm not entirely sure that the problem lies with GW. Likely, but not for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Orkfaeller View Post
    Modding was supported for the Dawn of War games. I'm not entirely sure that the problem lies with GW. Likely, but not for sure.
    We will just have to wait and see

Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Age of Empires 2 HD View Post
    Those aren't real modding tools though.
    In what twisted world are Rome II's Assembly kit and WWise not 'real' modding tools? Oh, I forgot. There's always the modder/gamer who will complain when CA doesn't release the "Press this button to create my overhaul mod".exe
    Last edited by GrudgeNL; July 11, 2015 at 11:29 AM.

Karnil Vark Khaitan's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by GrudgeNL View Post
    In what twisted world are Rome II's Assembly kit and WWise not 'real' modding tools? Oh, I forgot. There's always the modder/gamer who will complain when CA doesn't release the "Press this button to create my overhaul mod".exe
    best exe evar!

Im the Knight in Sour Armor http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ghtInSourArmor
    Rainbow Darling rainbows Darling. Darling Rainbows!!!!!
    but on the same time modder with my first mod for Rome 2!http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=286218945
    Hey Sparkle Sparkle Sparkle!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDULtV9U2kA
    Quote Originally Posted by riskymonk View Post
    yea but mods are created by fans of the series. Games are created by university students who might not necessarily know or play the games/series they're working on

Quote Originally Posted by GrudgeNL View Post
    In what way are you getting outraged about? They have no TED or no Terry. Nothing to create an overhaul mod, just unit reskins. That is what the majority of Rome 2 mods are. No mods like Med 2 which had so many overhauls, you could implement scripts, events, historical events, and so forth. The modding tools don't allow you to mod politics either. So these aren't real tools, they are limited modding tools.DEI has a few events, but that is about it. What you think is different to mine. If you think I'm complaining like you are very cleverly singling me out to be, please refer to the days of NTW when modders were asking for complete modding. This is not an new thing. So Rome 2 modding tools aren't anything special, even Shogun 2 had editable campagin modding tools and allowed you to change the appearance of the map including adding TED maps. You could change a lot. Rome 2 has only limited modding tools, no editable tools in terms of campaign, only cosmetic apperance. So they are not real modding tools. They are a limited means of modding the game.
    Last edited by The Wandering Storyteller; July 11, 2015 at 02:17 PM.

Mr.Jox's Avatar WHY SO SERIOUS?!

You all guys who don't like WH unsupported with modding tools will YOU ever try to mod it if WH could have modding tools. Community always don't like everything but what can you do? Example, Rome2 and Attila didn't have campaign map modding tools but Attila for example has very nice tools even for battlemap. And what? Who from you who scream for modding tools are creating mods? A few, I sure. You just want 100% modable game and people who will mod that game but not yourself. What a !

Example, Shogun2. Campaign map, Battle map, actaully everything can be moded with few not important limitations. Show me Shogun2's lotr mod or such? People can just blame CA and cry for big mods which they wont develop. Why Attila didn't have campaign map modding tools (100% modable map)? Because who of you used campaing map tools for Shogun2? I know 2-3 men who indeed used them.

If you want next historical TW title have nice assembly kit then prove it to CA. Go to Attila and use Terry tool and create awesome modifications to the Euroe campaign map. Once CA will see nice mods for campaign map they will think about extending the tool.

And who there screams about DLC age? Attila has a few of DLCs Among them are: Blood&Burning(very important and constant DLC in many games), The Last Roman(new huge campaign), Vikings(which u could get for free by pre-order), and two culture packs. Last two not much important but they dont change entire picture.
    You say selling game by parts of DLC. Not true. Any modder can make these DLC for free and even more.

HigoChumbo's Avatar Definitely not Jom.
    Citizen

Blog Entries

One does not have to be a modder in order to play and enjoy mods. And for a non-modder to be able to play and enjoy mods, someone else has to make them, so it's quite normal that people who don't mod the game want the game to be moddable.

Quote Originally Posted by HigoChumbo View Post
    One does not have to be a modder in order to play and enjoy mods. And for a non-modder to be able to play and enjoy mods, someone else has to make them, so it's quite normal that people who don't mod the game want the game to be moddable.
    Of course not, but people who don't mod also don't realise that games can be moded without the official support, and that's the point here. It really means nothing when they say moding will not be supported, as I have already said. So people who don't mod should just chill out, and wait for awesome mods when the game comes out, as I am certain we will see a lot of great stuff.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast