View Poll Results: Which describes your situation?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes I have Windows 10 preview and Rome 1 Gold Steam works fine > please state details in the thread

6 17.14%
  • I have Windows 10 preview but cannot start Rome 1 at all

24 68.57%
  • I haven't tried it yet but plan to upgrade from Windows 7 / 8.1 for free end of July 2015

5 14.29%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Rome 1 and Windows 10

Default Re: Rome 1 and Windows 10

I figured out the problem, it's because I'm using a disk version of the game. This link explains the entire issue with Windows 10 and any disk games from the early 2000s. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...d-6b1ce61d40d4

Hmm I just read through that. Seems like exactly the problems you described you were having.
    This means you will be, for the moment, unable to play RTW from the disc-version.
    Thank you for bringing this to my/our attention, I will update my "fix-guide" accordingly.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Guys if you have the disc version and original R1 check out gamecopyworld.com for this instance to make your Rome 1 running without a disc. I am not a fan of piracy - even strictly against -, but if honest customers are punished for a not working copy protection driver, this goes too far imho. And Microsoft is not to blame here but the lazy company that once sold their bs... copy protection to the developers in masses, or namely publishers like SEGA and earned a lot of money with that, and gave the publishers a plain illusion have a weapon at hand against piracy, which NEVER came true. Hope the moderators will respect my link.

Please know that we have 2 different issues why Rome 1 is rendered not to work anymore but there are workarounds for both problems - and the problems will affect the disc version as well as the Steam sold version. So at the end of the day your R1 will work on Windows 10 as intended.
    NEW: Total War Saga: Britannia benchmark thread - last update: 10.05.2018
    HOW-TO-step-up-from-MBR-CSM-LEGACY-BOOT-to-UEFI-GPT
    Many of my past contributions in the time from 2011-2017 will contain content that now show broken links. Unfortunately I had to delete all pictures linked on TWC that were hosted on imageshack.us. Read why
    If you are missing anything of interest, please let me know. Sorry for any inconvinience caused.

why not redeemign yuor copy on steam?

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Orphydian View Post
    why not redeemign yuor copy on steam?

very good and valid question!

1. The Rome 1 / Mediveal 2 redeem became possible because the Gamespy shutdown mainly not because of it was forseeable that the copy protection would fail at all with Windows 10.
    2. Some people still don't want to use Steam at all.
    Many of my past contributions in the time from 2011-2017 will contain content that now show broken links. Unfortunately I had to delete all pictures linked on TWC that were hosted on imageshack.us. Read why
    If you are missing anything of interest, please let me know. Sorry for any inconvinience caused.

Quote Originally Posted by alQamar View Post
    very good and valid question!

1. The Rome 1 / Mediveal 2 redeem became possible because the Gamespy shutdown mainly not because of it was forseeable that the copy protection would fail at all with Windows 10.
    2. Some people still don't want to use Steam at all.
    @ your #2. I don't like using Steam at all really..
    But still I have to, in order to play my legit copies of RTW:G; GTA3,VC,SA,4; Fallout 3+NV; Rage; Borderlands2; RA3; etc etc.
    Some game devs just don't leave us any other choices..

@ Your solution of cracking the disc-versions of games.. I'm not a fan of this, but when win10 makes it impossible to play your bought, hardcopy games.. go for it.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Please try to download and install dxwebsetup.exe from MS. It sounds odd that you need to install DX9 files, but it helped me to sort out issues I had with an ARK server.
    Last edited by Gigantus; August 22, 2015 at 08:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drgnrdr View Post
    After 3 days of trying to get RTW working turning off anti alias is what worked for me. Thank You!!!
    What is this 'anti alias' of which you speak? There is nothing that looks vaguely like 'anti alias' in my preference.txt file. I have checked the resolution settings,copied Directx9 and am still getting flickering. The 'anti alias' may be the solution but as I say it is not on my preferences file, and when I insert this, it just disappears when I try and run RTW.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Edinburgh01 View Post
    What is this 'anti alias' of which you speak? There is nothing that looks vaguely like 'anti alias' in my preference.txt file. I have checked the resolution settings,copied Directx9 and am still getting flickering. The 'anti alias' may be the solution but as I say it is not on my preferences file, and when I insert this, it just disappears when I try and run RTW.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks
    Found it and things seem fine. This thread was very useful

i give up with the disk version, tried to make it work way to many times and it still shuts down after it starts even though i followed al te steps. maybe it's because i don't have the gold version but i'm going to steam

wow, i installed it on steam and it worked instantly. didn't have to change the preference or compatibility, it just worked

Quote Originally Posted by bert1984 View Post
    wow, i installed it on steam and it worked instantly. didn't have to change the preference or compatibility, it just worked

Did you use your CD key to get it through steam or did you buy it again?

Quote Originally Posted by Edinburgh01 View Post
    Found it and things seem fine. This thread was very useful
    Did you have a disc version or steam?

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

I just nuked a few posts discussing cracks - the next time I am going to nuke the members instead.

Here is a guide line how to redeem the CD key on Steam, never mind its for M2TW.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    I just nuked a few posts discussing cracks - the next time I am going to nuke the members instead.

Here is a guide line how to redeem the CD key on Steam, never mind its for M2TW.
    Is it still a nukable post about cracks if I own the retail box and it's my OS forcing me to use it? By the way, I did try to redeem my copy on Steam using my CD Key, but it didn't work. I contacted Steam support to no avail. Any other suggestions on making this work?

Blog Entries

The bottom part of this rule should be informative.

Unless Microsoft fixes the secdrv.sys issue you will have to roll back your OS installation if the steam conversion doesn't work. There are literally hundreds of old games out there that don't work at the moment, so my guess is that MS will eventually fix this.

Got this link from there - that may help.

This is another method from that thread that deserves following up:
    A workaround is to copy secdrv.sys from a windows 8 / 8.1 machine, self sign the driver, and enter into testsigning boot mode.

You can do this manually or use 3rd party programs to do it.

First copy secdrv.sys from a windows 8 machine to c:\windows\system32\drivers. You can also download it here. Same file as the one I got from a vanilla windows 8.1 install v 4.3.86.0 md5 3ea8a16169c26afbeb544e0e48421186

Then self sign the driver. You can use a program Driver Signature Enforcement Overrider to do this: http://www.ngohq.com/?page=dseo

Or read about doing it yourself here. You will also need to make the certificate.

Then enable TESTSIGNING boot mode by opening an admin command prompt and typing: bcdedit -set testsigning on

Now safedisc games should work.

You will get an annoying watermark in testsigning mode. You can remove it using this program. Or read about removing it manually here.

I tested secdrv.sys and the above programs in Windows 10 Pro x64 and confirms that it does work.
    Last edited by Gigantus; August 22, 2015 at 09:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by k_raz View Post
    Did you use your CD key to get it through steam or did you buy it again?
    i bought the total war collection on steam, that's all i did

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

The bottom part of this rule should be informative.

Unless Microsoft fixes the secdrv.sys issue you will have to roll back your OS installation if the steam conversion doesn't work. There are literally hundreds of old games out there that don't work at the moment, so my guess is that MS will eventually fix this.

Got this link from there - that may help.

This is another method from that thread that deserves following up:
    Thanks you Gigantus. I have read about that solution on the Microsoft forums, too. I am sorry I posted the links but ... well not indended to promote illegal activities but helping people that own a legal bought product. Thanks for your mild reaction.
    Of course you are right that people should take the advantage to claim their RTW / MT2 steam copy, hence some people are oldschool and really hate / refuse to use Steam at all.

p.s. The self-signed driver workaround is not needed for the Steam version.

Blog Entries

I understand your intention - I still had to remove it.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

I understand your intention - I still had to remove it.
    Of course you had to, no discussion about that.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast