View Poll Results: Which describes your situation?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes I have Windows 10 preview and Rome 1 Gold Steam works fine > please state details in the thread

6 17.14%
  • I have Windows 10 preview but cannot start Rome 1 at all

24 68.57%
  • I haven't tried it yet but plan to upgrade from Windows 7 / 8.1 for free end of July 2015

5 14.29%
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Rome 1 and Windows 10

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Icon5 Rome 1 and Windows 10

Hi guys,

I have issues getting Rome 1 Gold (Steam-Version) to run on Windows 10 insider preview. This problem is persistent since all releases and was never solved. A reinstallation did not help either.
    That's why I am curious if anyone of you is currently using Windows 10 preview and is actually able to run Rome 1 / Barbarian Invasion / Alexander or not.

Thanks for a quick vote / reply.

Of course I have asked around elsewhere on Steam and some others confirmed to have the same issue, which sounds strange as they had no problems with Windows 7 / Windows 8.1.
    Last edited by alQamar; June 09, 2015 at 03:01 PM.
    NEW: Total War Saga: Britannia benchmark thread - last update: 10.05.2018
    HOW-TO-step-up-from-MBR-CSM-LEGACY-BOOT-to-UEFI-GPT
    Many of my past contributions in the time from 2011-2017 will contain content that now show broken links. Unfortunately I had to delete all pictures linked on TWC that were hosted on imageshack.us. Read why
    If you are missing anything of interest, please let me know. Sorry for any inconvinience caused.

Default Re: Rome 1 and Windows 10

Not sure CA will patch it until Win 10 goes live. By the way, do you have the same issue with Medieval II considering it's basically the same engine ?
    French commentaries for TW and RTS:http://www.youtube.com/user/leviath40

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Hello Leviath, I have tested all TW games available, and only Shogun 2 and Rome 1 caused issues. The Shogun 2 issue was solved after report using the Windows 10 Feedback App, so only Rome 1 is left over.
    Many of my past contributions in the time from 2011-2017 will contain content that now show broken links. Unfortunately I had to delete all pictures linked on TWC that were hosted on imageshack.us. Read why
    If you are missing anything of interest, please let me know. Sorry for any inconvinience caused.

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Did you try to manually reinstall directx 9 ? Not sure which one is working with windows 10.
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. - Marcus Aurelius

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

It is not longer allowed in Windows 10 possible due to the DX12 implementation. It was possible though in Windows 8.x

Another news makes me confident however, on the latest Rally Point Mike Simpson reported about plans to bring Shogun 1 Gold and Medival 1 Gold to Steam, which then would empower the need to make changes to the code.
    For Shogun 1 and Medieval 1 there is a problem with the existing copy protection that prevents them to run on Windows 10. Some even reported this to be true on Windows 7 even.
    They use secdrv.sys which is not compatible anymore, so the disk check will fail. there are no working cracks around for S1 and MTW1 that would set me in a position to see if these games will also produce other issues like Rome 1.

Foederatus

install directx9 then upgrade to windows 10 preview then try running rome total war i was running it fine on won 10 preview reverted back to win 7 ultimate so i upgrade to win 10 pro in july

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by minidude2014 View Post
    install directx9 then upgrade to windows 10 preview then try running rome total war i was running it fine on won 10 preview reverted back to win 7 ultimate so i upgrade to win 10 pro in july
    Thank you Minidude! In fact my Windows 10 preview is a bare-metal installation, means no upgrade from a previous version. I will try to test your suggestion.

Foederatus

if that doesnt work send me a pm on here and ill try to help anyway i can

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

for sure and thanks again. I am a bit disappointed that so less people seem to be interested in either Windows 10 or Rome 1, just one vote on the poll is quite ashaming to get an opinion if and how many others are also affected.

Civis

First, DirectX is easy... Windows 10 comes with 9 already embedded. Browse to C drive, windows, system32, and scroll down until you find the files named d3dx9 followed by and underscore and number. Drag a box around all the d3dx9_ files and right click selecting copy. Browse into your main Rome folder and right click in the open to select paste. Restart PC so it will register the new file locations. Some people have to do this and others do not.

Set both Rome and BI exe files to run in compatibility mode for XP service pack 2.

Lastly, be sure you have the strategy (campaign) and battle screen resolutions set exactly the same as your desktop.

The problem most people have or will have will be the new install as Rome cannot generate the contents of the preferences folder in order to generate all four required files. To fix this, go here...
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...notice-please)
    If seeking instant gratification without thought to repercussions, take a shotgun to it!

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by HawkDreams View Post
    First, DirectX is easy... Windows 10 comes with 9 already embedded. Browse to C drive, windows, system32, and scroll down until you find the files named d3dx9 followed by and underscore and number. Drag a box around all the d3dx9_ files and right click selecting copy. Browse into your main Rome folder and right click in the open to select paste. Restart PC so it will register the new file locations. Some people have to do this and others do not.

Set both Rome and BI exe files to run in compatibility mode for XP service pack 2.

Lastly, be sure you have the strategy (campaign) and battle screen resolutions set exactly the same as your desktop.

The problem most people have or will have will be the new install as Rome cannot generate the contents of the preferences folder in order to generate all four required files. To fix this, go here...
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...notice-please)

Windows 10 has still DX9 files but internally named DirectX 12

Further investigation showed me that the copying of the DX9 files are not needed. Setting up the compatiblity mode is not needed either. Even though my preferences files existed it seemed to be the problem.

So thanks for your solution! The resolution setting in the preferences is indeed the real issue. I setup the graphic settings to default and then it did not launch again.

Here is the full solution that is more effective, kudos to Hawkdreams!

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/rom...07673211782721
    Last edited by alQamar; June 21, 2015 at 03:32 PM.

Can't vote (presumably not enough posts to date)...but anyway:

I haven't tried it yet but plan to upgrade from Windows 7 / 8.1 for free end of July 2015 <--me

STRATEGY_RESOLUTION:1366x768
    STRATEGY_MAX_RESOLUTION:1366x768
    STRATEGY_32_BIT:FALSE
    BATTLE_RESOLUTION:1366x768
    BATTLE_MAX_RESOLUTION:1366x768

1366X768 is my max display. What is wrong? I can't launch and it keeps saying direct X9... help
    454-480 Western Roman Politics (Article)
    There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. - W. Shakespeare
    We (...) have converted the miracles of science into a chamber of horrors -R. Hull

USA knew how to gain a victory, but not how to use it - F.J. Nepos
    You will be ruled by either a crown, a clown, or a crook, and democracy assures that you won't get the first one.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Hi Flavius,
    I cannot tell you a solution at the moment. I have heard that also someone other on Steam reported that this workaround did not work for him. I will raise awareness at CA another time.

MasterOfNone's Avatar RTW Modder 2004-2015

Try setting the anti alias to off in your pref. text. if your copy is flickering and crashing with the DX 9 error message.
    "One of the most sophisticated Total War mods ever developed..."
    The Fourth Age: Total War - The Dominion of Men

WORKING?

Laetus

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfNone View Post
    Try setting the anti alias to off in your pref. text. if your copy is flickering and crashing with the DX 9 error message.
    After 3 days of trying to get RTW working turning off anti alias is what worked for me. Thank You!!!

MasterOfNone's Avatar RTW Modder 2004-2015

You are most welcome.
    "One of the most sophisticated Total War mods ever developed..."
    The Fourth Age: Total War - The Dominion of Men

WORKING! Thanks man I would give REP+ if I could
    454-480 Western Roman Politics (Article)
    There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. - W. Shakespeare
    We (...) have converted the miracles of science into a chamber of horrors -R. Hull

USA knew how to gain a victory, but not how to use it - F.J. Nepos
    You will be ruled by either a crown, a clown, or a crook, and democracy assures that you won't get the first one.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfNone View Post
    Hi there, forgive me if I a being dim here, but I can't seem to find the anti alias setting in the pref file - am I looking in the right place? preferences.txt in the Preferences folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\The Creative Assembly\Rome - Total War\preferences

Thanks in advance!

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast