Thread: how will dlc factions/races be added any thoughts?

Default how will dlc factions/races be added any thoughts?

so in previous total war games we had all the factions present on the map all they did with them to make them playable is adding 2units and a building or 2 and there we have a pretty lame and overpriced dlc that add next to nothing to the faction that just became playable.

im hoping this wont be the case for total war warhammer as all the races and factions work so diffrently and use many diffrent units that other races dont have acces to so hopefully they give every faction/race the love it deserves.

now with that said im actually wondering as to how they would add these races some of them should be present allready in the base game or els it could prove difficult to add them.

skaven for example live underneat the whole world they are verry active in the empire regions so the big question is are they allready present in the game with there verry own unique unit roster and there verry own unique city's.

if not how would they go about adding them never before has the world map been changed in a total war game because there was no need to everything was allready there.
    would they just say here is the skaven dlc and suddenly all over the map diffrent skaven city's appear? seems unlikely to me.

so this brings us option 2 and that is that all these races like the woodelfs beastmen skaven chaos dwarfs and what els i might be forgetting that is present in the parts of the world that the first game will use as a setting. that all these races might actually be in the game allready from the start.

if this is the case then suddenly the 30skeletons they said they will be using to created all the diffrent units needed for the races seems to cover a lot less then we would have hoped with the 4 anounced races.

this is ofcourse just speculation and im not trying to bring the game down in anyway as i cant wait to get my hands on it (total war and warhammer together is just like a dream come true)

but im still bit worried as to how they will pull this off so how do you guys think adding races/faction will work? let me know.

Default Re: how will dlc factions/races be added any thoughts?

I'm hoping Kislev will be an add-on or expansion as well, they're a cool faction that's a bit different thant he Empire while still having to fight all the same enemies. I'm pretty much will to pay for as much DLC as needed to get everything.

As long as everything is actually working sufficiently well, that is.

Calling it now, skavens are going to be part of an End Times themed expansion, and will use what's left of Tilea as a surface foothold.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeaconBosco View Post
    Calling it now, skavens are going to be part of an End Times themed expansion, and will use what's left of Tilea as a surface foothold.
    That'd be pretty cool, but if they can't have underground tunnels that will blow so hard. I mean cmon a skaven faction wouldn't make sense without them.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidtheDuke View Post
    That'd be pretty cool, but if they can't have underground tunnels that will blow so hard. I mean cmon a skaven faction wouldn't make sense without them.
    Oh definitely, why bother including skavens without their tunnels. But I wouldn't hold my breath for an actual underground campaign map.

Their underground network will work the same way FotS's railways did, allowing your troops to move around the map faster, and maybe maybe even launch surprise attacks on unsuspecting enemy stacks & Settlements.
    Last edited by TheDeaconBosco; June 10, 2015 at 03:16 AM.

IrishBlood's Avatar GIVE THEM BLIZZARDS!

Oh definitely, why bother including skavens without their tunnels. But I wouldn't hold my breath for an actual underground campaign map.

Their underground network will work the same way FotS's railways did, allowing your troops to move around the map faster, and maybe maybe even launch surprise attacks on unsuspecting enemy stacks & Settlements.
    I'd say that would be exactly how they do it.

As for additional factions, this is CA we are dealing with and unfortunately that means loads of lame ass DLC's I'm preparing for it and thats why I wont be buying the game until a year after release when all the dlc is available and I can get it all for 75% off on a steam sale.

I learned my lesson from Rome 2....

Hey that's a good thought! Makes sense. Only caveat is I'd say battles should be possible underground, like with the dwarves for example. However all these sounds very complicated for CA

Quote Originally Posted by IrishBlood View Post
    I'd say that would be exactly how they do it.

As for additional factions, this is CA we are dealing with and unfortunately that means loads of lame ass DLC's I'm preparing for it and thats why I wont be buying the game until a year after release when all the dlc is available and I can get it all for 75% off on a steam sale.

I learned my lesson from Rome 2....
    Not preordering myself.. gonna pay the pre-order DLC tax this time. If it is absolutely pre-order exclusive (can't pay for it afterwards), I might pre-order and test out as many mechanics as I can right upt ot he 2 hour steam refund limit

petertel123's Avatar Miles

they can either:
    1. add different playable tribes/ counts etc to the existing races
    2. add whole new races in either large expansion packs or small faction packs, I'm definitely willing to pay for this option
    I'm guessing they wont add any large races to the base game that arent playable, dont expect bretonnia and the wood elves to be present at release

Quote Originally Posted by petertel123 View Post
    they can either:
    1. add different playable tribes/ counts etc to the existing races
    2. add whole new races in either large expansion packs or small faction packs, I'm definitely willing to pay for this option
    I'm guessing they wont add any large races to the base game that arent playable, dont expect bretonnia and the wood elves to be present at release
    im hoping they will add both factions to the existing races and add new races.
    if they flesh them out well then i would be willing to pay for them.
    they will ofcourse hold some factions aside for the 2 expansions they release after the base game as in lizardmen and darkelfs for a possilbe new world expansion for example.

Yomamashouse's Avatar Semisalis

It will involve adding a few minor reskins and switching a few lines of text to say playable instead of unplayable. It will cost ~$100 if you want all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomamashouse View Post
    It will involve adding a few minor reskins and switching a few lines of text to say playable instead of unplayable. It will cost ~$100 if you want all of them.
    well seeing as i have all the total war games and i have spend in most of them a couple of 100 hours then that still seems a fair price to me as i allso have games that cost 50 euro and i only played 10hours to finish.

however if they do take the rome 2 road and just skin some stuff and make us pay for it then the game will fail hard as none of the races or even some of the facions within races dont play the same or look the same.

so i honestly dont think they will do that they might do some reskinning with factions but as far as races go they should be build from scratch els it wont work.