Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The historcial research thread

Default Re: The historcial research thread

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Strider View Post
    The topic of the map actually brought up another recommendation I had, but I have no clue if it's possible for modding - I'm assuming the campaign map is some sort of height map where below a certain level is water and above a certain level is mountain, etc. Is it possible to set the "base" landmass, if you like, as a detailed 2d topographical map of the eastern and middle United States and then "draw" mountain ranges, forests, rivers, lakes, etc. over where those features are on the map?

I have no clue if that even makes sense
    Do you mean adding physical features?

Primergy's Avatar Protector of the Union

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Strider View Post
    The topic of the map actually brought up another recommendation I had, but I have no clue if it's possible for modding - I'm assuming the campaign map is some sort of height map where below a certain level is water and above a certain level is mountain, etc. Is it possible to set the "base" landmass, if you like, as a detailed 2d topographical map of the eastern and middle United States and then "draw" mountain ranges, forests, rivers, lakes, etc. over where those features are on the map?

I have no clue if that even makes sense
    Yes, it's like a 2D Heightmap, but ihave to draw it by hand, since I couldn't find undistorted heightmaps which are large enough.

Dave Strider's Avatar Dux Limitis

What size do they need to be exactly? Would any of the maps here be big enough? The link at the very bottom of the page, the 6636x3556 one - surely that's helpful, at least?

@Nord: Yep, as in creating the actual campaign map with mountains and rivers and whatnot.
    when the union's inspiration through the worker's blood shall run,
    there can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun,
    yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one?
    but the union makes us strong.

The heightmap of FotS is 8000x8000 pixel large so even the whole us map is to tiny ^^

Dave Strider's Avatar Dux Limitis

Wow, that sucks. Are you planning on making the map a map of the entire United States out to the Pacific Ocean, or just up to, say, the Great Plains or the Rocky Mountains? Because if the latter, you could crop the western half of the US out to make it roughly 3k by 3k and resize it. Since that file is a PNG, it shouldn't distort it too much.

I dunno, I know very little about modding so I apologize if I sound a bit like a back-seat driver
    when the union's inspiration through the worker's blood shall run,
    there can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun,
    yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one?
    but the union makes us strong.

I've been following this mod for awhile now, and think it is awesome! I would love to see this mod cover the whole United States, with multiple regions to each state you could do some cool accurate AoR features. I'm from the SF Bay Area in California so I think it would be awesome to have San Francisco, there is a Civil War fort (that is now underneath the Golden Gate Bridge), that guarded the bay against possible confederate privateers. The last naval battle of the Civil War was even fought in the Bering Strait! Maybe this is waaay too ambitious, lol but I just love the scope of the Civil War, and I don't think many people realize what was going on outside the Eastern United States.

That would be indeed too ambitious^^ - Virginia is already 5 "regions" large, filling up the whole USA with regions would kill me

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12