Thread: Races and Factions

Default Races and Factions

So Total War Warhammer will have four races. Humans(Empire), Dwarves, Vampire Counts and Greenskins. But does that mean there will be only four playable factions or are the four races representing groups of factions. Since Greenskins, Dwarves and the Empire aren't singular factions or countries. The Empire is divided into the various Grand Counties, the Dwarves are divided into kingdoms that swear allegiance to the High King and the Greenskins are divided into various clans. So there could be several playable factions instead of just four. The Greenskins would be interesting like this. The player would have to fight other Greenskin clans in order to form a larger Waaagh!!!! Conquering other clans would add more units to the player's roster as well as their armies(that aren't already destroyed).

Empire: Reikland, Averland, Wissenland, Stirland, Ostermark, Talabecland, Ostland, Hochland, Middenland and Nordland

Dwarves(Atleast the ones close to the Empire): Karak Norn, Karak Hirn, Karak Kadrin and Zhufbar

Greenskins(Tribes close to or inside the Empire): Red Eye Mountain, Red Face Goblins, Spiderclaw Tribe, Ironclaw Tribe and etc

Vampire Counts: Von Casteins of Sylvania
    Last edited by Tuskin; May 31, 2015 at 08:05 PM.

HigoChumbo's Avatar Definitely not Jom.
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Default Re: Races and Factions

or are the four races representing groups of factions.
    This will most likely be the case, although until we get official information, we can only speculate.

I'm curious about how will they deal with the Vampire Counts, since they are quite smaller than the other factions. Could it be that they are a "rogue" part of the Empire?

If this whole thing works as in Rome 2/attila (which i'd say it does, judging by CA's few words on the matter), i'm really curious to see how the different empire provinces interact with each other.

Are all of them vassals of Reikland? Is Reikland represented by a faction called "The Empire" or is it reikland proper? We shouldn't expect a very complex political system representing the empire (akin to HRE mechanics in EU4) since karl franz appears to be immortal like napoleon in NTW.

I'm dying to see new interesting mechanics, perhaps a deeper system to quell multi-region vassal rebelions without taking all their regions but one. Taking their capital could be a good way for example.

Also very interested to see if knightly orders are implemented in a special way (instead of say giving 2 different orders to each imperial faction, that'd be boring). Perhaps they become factions of their own.

Are the four heroes that are playable, the leaders of their various races /factions. EG Karl Franz-the Empire. If so that points to only 4 playable factions.
    Unless Karl Franz starts as a Duke of one of several playable Grand Counties and must unite the Grand Counties of the Empire through war or diplomacy, becoming Emperor, before taking on the other races.

Karnil Vark Khaitan's Avatar Praepositus

Great post!
    I do hope CA understand that those races aren't as united as we tend to believe.
    Humans as young as their empire is, had more civil wars then the holy roman empire.
    Dorfs has even grudges against other dorfs.
    Orcs are orcs, and every tribe starts out small, only to grow bigger, or be absorbed into another tribe.
    Vampires is united only becouse van Carstain is inept to control rivals, but only in that region only! everywhere else, there are multiple Vampire clans, I think about 4?

Im the Knight in Sour Armor http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ghtInSourArmor
    Rainbow Darling rainbows Darling. Darling Rainbows!!!!!
    but on the same time modder with my first mod for Rome 2!http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=286218945
    Hey Sparkle Sparkle Sparkle!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDULtV9U2kA
    Quote Originally Posted by riskymonk View Post
    yea but mods are created by fans of the series. Games are created by university students who might not necessarily know or play the games/series they're working on

I could see a few different ways of handling it. My favorite would be that the racial leaders "unlock" when you've reached a large enough size. So if you play as an Elector count you'd not have access to KF until you've fulfilled enough conditions. Same withe the other factions.

I definitely hope they take a cue from Call of Warhammer and give a lot of individuality within each faction. Though on the other hand, I can see them doing this as dlc's.... either way I'm hoping for this rather than a streamlined warhammer that would rob much of it's atmosphere.

You bring up a interesting point about the Counts, Higochumbo, I could see them split up into their bloodlines to give them more options. You would have Carsteins raising undead hordes in Sylvania while playing the Lahmian vampires would have you using politics and intrigue to reach your goals.

Col. Tartleton's Avatar Comes Limitis

All the Vampire Counts should be represented. Von Carsteins in Eastern Stirland (Sylvania), Lahmia in the Worlds Edge Mountains (Silver Peak), Blood Dragons in the Grey Mountains (Blood Keep), Necrarchs in Ostermark (Tower of Melkhior), and Strigoi in the Badlands (Mourkain) all have areas that are likely part of the map.
    The Earth is inhabited by billions of idiots.
    The search for intelligent life continues...

Yomamashouse's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Tartleton View Post
    All the Vampire Counts should be represented. Von Carsteins in Eastern Stirland (Sylvania), Lahmia in the Worlds Edge Mountains (Silver Peak), Blood Dragons in the Grey Mountains (Blood Keep), Necrarchs in Ostermark (Tower of Melkhior), and Strigoi in the Badlands (Mourkain) all have areas that are likely part of the map.
    In the newer editions of WHFB they have whitewashed the vampires to the point where they are all classic Von Carsteins. The built-in distinction between bloodlines has been replaced by a bunch of abilities to be purchased. I suspect that this will carry over into the game until mods fix it.

It is sad because I played counts back in editions 5-6 and loved the distinction between vampire families. Committing to a single family of vampires had a superb risk-reward factor that has been lost.

CK23's Avatar Campidoctor

It is a very interesting way about factions and races. What I think is more realistic and a better business model (because we know that's what games have become) is having an "Empire" faction and then individual countries or whatnot will be sub-factions like the houses in Rome II. I think that would be a smart way about it, because you could sell DLC with new counties and what not.

Im also interested in seeing the unit variety, no faction really in WH except the Empire has similar units.
    Rabble rousing, Pleb Commander CK23

Quote Originally Posted by CK23 View Post
    It is a very interesting way about factions and races. What I think is more realistic and a better business model (because we know that's what games have become) is having an "Empire" faction and then individual countries or whatnot will be sub-factions like the houses in Rome II. I think that would be a smart way about it, because you could sell DLC with new counties and what not.
    Yeah, this is exactly how i've been imagining it. My biggest question right now about sub-factions is how they are gonna treat knightly orders. There are so many interesting ways to tackle this beyond the old "build chapterhouse, recruit kotbs units"...

CK23's Avatar Campidoctor

I'd imagine that a cool way to do it would be to meet certain conditions to create the knightly orders, because if I remember correctly, most of them have a storyline behind them, so it'd be cool if certain things happen in your campaign the knightly orders will be founded. Realistically, whatever time period they are going with they will likely be build the chapter house and recruit the units but men can dream can't they?
    Rabble rousing, Pleb Commander CK23

Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Tuskin View Post

Empire: Reikland, Averland, Wissenland, Stirland, Ostermark, Talabecland, Ostland, Hochland, Middenland and Nordland

Dwarves(Atleast the ones close to the Empire): Karak Norn, Karak Hirn, Karak Kadrin and Zhufbar

Greenskins(Tribes close to or inside the Empire): Red Eye Mountain, Red Face Goblins, Spiderclaw Tribe, Ironclaw Tribe and etc

Vampire Counts: Von Casteins of Sylvania
    In case of Dwarves, we know that Thorgrim Grudgebearer will be the playable leader. I think it is fair to assume that we can expand the borders for Dwarfholds to include the capital city Karak-A-Karak. Like this

Whole map & legend: http://fs1.directupload.net/images/150606/mghmjxol.png

Also, there a some greenskin tribes on the map, not mentioned here yet. But with greenksin tribes it is hard to pinpoint their positions. If they do not occupy a dwarf fortress, entire tribes follow a Waaagh and could be somewhere else after the Waaagh is defeated.

For Vampire Counts, the Silver Pinnacle is near Karak Kadrin.
    http://oi61.tinypic.com/2rzzy47.jpg
    It could be possible that Neferata and her Lahmia brood can play a role in threatening the Dwarves, the Carnstein rule in Sylvania or the borders of the Empire.

-----Red Dox

Brivime's Avatar Ordinarius

I refuse to believe High Elves won't be included when they are such a major faction lore-wise.

Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Brivime View Post
    I refuse to believe High Elves won't be included when they are such a major faction lore-wise.
    they will be of course, there two expansion games planned, that will add new races and add to the campaign map. not unlike the original dawn of war series for warhammer 40k. start small with a few races, get the gameplay right, then expand with the almost limitless depth of the warhammer world.