Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Suicide Squad (2016)

Default Re: Suicide Squad (2016)

"Lame villain, weak plot, weak character development, weak pacing, lackluster cameos, man the movie was mehh..."
    Sounds like the standard marvel movie then.... ( i just think people give marvel more of a free pass then Dc atm wich i find ridiculous, and i enjoy them both) Truth is I had more fun watching this then i had watching BvS. And yes the film was choppy on the storytelling department. But wasnt as bad as a lot of people are saying.
    There was zero character developement aside from Will Smith's character.
    Cant agree with this at all. All the movie had was character development, even if it was there in a choppy manner at times. But it was there. I didnt tought it was so bad. But that was just my experience. I was happy leaving the theatre. Wich is more then i can say for BvS.

Was worth watching (for $7 and Bourne double feature) but not to the level of Nolan's Batman films.
    Was someone actualy expecting something like a Nolan film? It just isnt relatable at all. ImO.

paradamed's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by Knight of Heaven View Post
    Sounds like the standard marvel movie then....
    No way. I can name at least 10 Marvel movies where this doesnt apply:
    Ant Man
    The Avengers
    Guardians of the Galaxy
    Cpt America Civil War
    Cpt America the winter soldier
    Iron Man I
    Deadpool
    Spider Man I and II (the Sam Raimi movies)
    Xmen I and II
    Xmen First Class and Days of future past

You got to be kidding me... most of those films had as lame character vilain like suicide squad.... You should take off you marvel glasses my friend.
    Btw i was talking aboUT MCU not Marvel super hero movies. Different studios after all. And not shared universes.

You need to explain to me why is Ronan the acuser a better vilain then enchantress.
    Deadpool? the vilain was just a typical generic action film, placeholder.... it barely talked too.

The avengers? loki had charisma, but they use army duds as well. With very similar, lack of base end motivation, besides, conquer earth because thanos wanted , because reasons..... that arent explained in the movie very well. same thing as enchantress and her brother.

Btw those are films i enjoyed watching. just like i enjoyed watching SS. generaly speaking. The only glaring issue i have with SS, is the choppy edditing at times, the narrative didnt flowed, as smoothly as it should have been. The plot is generic standard comic book movie. Not very different then other superhero movies.

The positive about SS, was that was fun to watch this characters interact with each other, in fact i kinda felt wanting to see more of this characters. plenty of people say a lot have been cut out. At anycase, i want to see more.

When you think about it, same strengh as the guardians of the galaxy, the characters. Not the story.

All im saying the difeference isnt that great from the films you mentioned, when you look at it.

Besides reviewing this film as one of the worst films of 2016, and worst CBM ever made is just pulling readers legs. IMO. Just cant take it seriously.
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; August 10, 2016 at 04:55 PM.

FWIW, National Review's chief film critic has expressed approval for (parts of) Suicide Squad, and the other two DCU films (Man of Steel and BvS) as well. Though that guy hates movies in general (apart from obscure European arthouse flicks), and Hollywood/Marvel movies in particular.

Personally, I like the MCU movies (all of them are at least watchable), but I think they're overrated.

They sparkle, like vampires.

Otherwise, they're dead inside.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

You should take off you marvel glasses my friend.
    You are acting like a child here since I totally pointed out the flaws rationally. You are the one just being personal about it.

You need to explain to me why is Ronan the acuser a better vilain then enchantress.
    Here I totally agree with you and I add that this was exactly the one single flaw Guardians of the Galaxy had because they nailed it in every other aspect.

Charisma of the characters, they nailed it.
    Chemistry among the good guys. Nailed it. Good action scenes, nailed it.
    Good script, nailed it.
    Score that actually complemented the movie (and not just some random pop culture reference like in SS), nailed it,
    Good action sequences, nailed it.
    Balanced humour, nailed it.
    Amazing visuals nailed it.

Guardians of the Galaxy did everything so much better and is a million light years ahead of SS, it is ridiculous for you to make the claim they are not so much different.

All im saying the difeference isnt that great from the films you mentioned, when you look at it.

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

Suicide Squad thought it could make us love the characters by giving them flashback scenes instead of character development.

We don't know anything about the history or background of Rocket, Gamora, Drax, or Groot except maximum a couple of sentences from the characters. Hell even Starlord's last 20 years is mostly unknown other than he works for the Ravagers in some capacity as a scavenger. But i still end up caring for them a lot more than I do the SS characters who they devoted a bunch of time to.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

Guardians of the Galaxy did everything so much better and is a million light years ahead of SS, it is ridiculous for you to make the claim they are not so much different.
    I disagree. Guardians might be a better acomplished movie overall, but not by much. I dont think there is realy a big gap as you claim at least.

Here I totally agree with you and I add that this was exactly the one single flaw Guardians of the Galaxy had because they nailed it in every other aspect.

Charisma of the characters, they nailed it.
    Chemistry among the good guys. Nailed it. Good action scenes, nailed it.
    Good script, nailed it.
    Score that actually complemented the movie (and not just some random pop culture reference like in SS), nailed it,
    Good action sequences, nailed it.
    Balanced humour, nailed it.
    Amazing visuals nailed it.
    There was charisma, and chemistry between the characters in suicide squad. It is the best thing about the movie.
    The script is on the same level imo, the only issue i find was the edditing. anything else you mention, was pretty much ok to the same level.
    Otherwise i dont think is that far from Guardians of the galaxy. Imo.

You are acting like a child here since I totally pointed out the flaws rationally. You are the one just being personal about it.
    what? realy? My arguments have been totaly rational. Im just pointing out the silliness today, of Putting marvel films on a pedestal, where the difference between this movie isnt that great.
    And you find that unreasonable? And personal?

Ok.

Suicide Squad's hook was that they were expendable second bananas, so the writer could concentrate on the story, not that there was any Pulitzer material there.

It allowed these characters the time and space for fifteen minutes to shine, which for some reason they couldn't while guest starring as the antagonists in the primary stable.

This is a pretty interesting video on some of the problems in the film:

This movie made me appreciate 'Guardians of the Galaxy' a lot more.
    "Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone, you may still exist, but you have ceased to live." - Mark Twain

"I am against nature. I don't dig nature at all. I think nature is very unnatural. I think the truly natural things are dreams, which nature can't touch with decay." - Bob Dylan

"Faith in God means believing, absolutely, in something with no proof whatsoever. Faith in humanity means believing, absolutely, in something with a huge amount of proof to the contrary. WE are the true believers." - Joss Whedon

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

I disagree. Guardians might be a better acomplished movie overall, but not by much. I dont think there is realy a big gap as you claim at least.
    Everyone, including the critics seems to disagree with you

You truly are the master of trivializing everything KoH.

Haven't seen it yet doe.

saxdude's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

I find that really odd. I saw Guardians in the theatres and to me, the movie was actually really mediocre. It may well have been my least favorite marvel movie.

Who cared if the Nova Corps and their capital planet got fried, the movie revolves around the character interactions, with little room for plot or story.

Quote Originally Posted by Condottiere 40K View Post
    Suicide Squad's hook was that they were expendable second bananas, so the writer could concentrate on the story, not that there was any Pulitzer material there.

It allowed these characters the time and space for fifteen minutes to shine, which for some reason they couldn't while guest starring as the antagonists in the primary stable.
    Yes it had a messy narrative. I think as i said, was due to poor editing. The based plot script as i said is generic and defenitly no Pulitzer.
    My point is i think a lot of the critics have been extremely severe, or unfair, considering what is actualy the film.

Everyone, including the critics seems to disagree with you
    Im 100% sure that isnt true. Otherwise the audience score wouldnt be much higher then the critics generaly speaking...
    But both of this thing are irrelevant at the end of the day.
    I felt Suicide squad, technicaly was a faulty movie, regardless a fun movie to watch.
    Also cant say i left the film not caring about some of this characters. But to each its own.

You truly are the master of trivializing everything KoH.

Haven't seen it yet doe.
    Hey i had fun with both movies. Guilty as charge.
    And to be fair, this kind of films are pretty Trivial themselfs.

And for the record, i think Assault on Arkham was a better Suicide squad movie then this one.
    Who cared if the Nova Corps and their capital planet got fried, the movie revolves around the character interactions, with little room for plot or story.
    Pretty much.
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; August 12, 2016 at 12:09 PM.

Himster's Avatar Praeses

I was pleasantly surprised. I was expecting it to suck major balls, but it turned out to be okay. It's better than any Spiderman movie (except the first two.)
    Maybe the secret to enjoying movies is to hear lots and lots of terrible things about it beforehand so when you see it: it turns out it's not as bad as people claim it to be. That's how I plan on enjoying Avatar 2.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are so certain of themselves, but wiser people are full of doubts.
    -Betrand Russell

A Man's Avatar Senator

Watched it two times, liked it. The plot was a mess but the characters made up for it big time. Lots of backstory, character development, fun action scenes, humor end excitement. Very enjoyable movie, it had a heart and soul, I could watch it multiple times and not get bored, unlike BvS that I initially liked but the second time... ehh....
    I am glad to see the divisive opinions between critics and fans. From what I see, general audience loves the film and some reviewers that I follow praise it too. The second time I watched the movie I was with two female friends who never cared about superhero blockbusters but they enjoyed Suicide Squad BIG time. The movie succeeded, I hope for a sequel!
    Last edited by A Man; August 13, 2016 at 05:15 PM.

RedGuard's Avatar Protector Domesticus

0 character development, basic find the bad guy and defeat him storyline, spotty editing screwed up the pace of the film...I give it a 5.5/10. However I liked it better than BVS mostly because it felt much shorter than that movie so I wasn't also bored while watching it. Only character I really cared about was Harley Quinn. I didn't really care abut Will Smith like other people either. Because I feel like if he really gave a about his daughter he would have quit much sooner. After all 2 million dollars is enough to put her through Harvard and bribe her first interviewer into getting any job she wants just look at the Clintons for proof.

Harley Quinn was the heart of this movie, and yet she is such a sporadic character that shes hard to love- much like the movie itself in fact. Margot Robbie did a great Job I thought, and I look forward to her and Leto fighting Batman in the solo movie of his. If not before that.

Needed more Joker...and before the fan boys jump down my throat and tell me that Joker wasn't a part of Suicide Squad...I know. However Leto's Joker was one of the main selling points of the movie. And he wasn't in it enough for me to decide if I like him or hate him. His scenes were half and half. I thought the scene where he put his hand over his mouth was extra cheesy and I couldn't even understand half of what he was saying as the music in that scene was so ing loud.

MacCarthy's Avatar Miles

Either more Joker, or a better developed Enchantress plot and maybe a better actress in the role.
    Ditch the crappy ashen converts of Enchantress. What she did near the end, getting into their minds should had been done through out the movie.
    Would helped creating backstory to the squad members than some dossier being read to the audience.

what? realy? My arguments have been totaly rational. Im just pointing out the silliness today, of Putting marvel films on a pedestal, where the difference between this movie isnt that great.
    And you find that unreasonable? And personal?

Ok.
    .... You should take off you marvel glasses my friend.
    The old : "if you didnt like a DC universe movie it is because you ara a Marvel fanboy". It certainly has nothing to do with the movies being average, of course. *sarcasm mode on

this kind of argument doesnt work for me.

I liked Man of Steel, loved the Nolan trilogy, even liked BvS but Suicide Squad is just garbage.
    I can also add that I hated the first Captain America movie, Iron Man 2 was mediocre, Most Hulk films were not very exciting, The Avengers 2 was the most disappointing superhero film ever so it has nothing to do with my personal taste on movies.

Suicide Squad is mediocre even for an action flick, it is worse even than some of those stupid transformers movies (my personal opinion).
    There is no point denying that, unless, as I mentioned before, maybe you are the real fanboy pointing fingers at others, judging us using your own measure.

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

And for the record, i think Assault on Arkham was a better Suicide squad movie then this one
    Assault on Arkham was quite good. I thought thus would be a live-action version of that actually.