Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: 10 years at TWC

PikeStance's Avatar ⚜️ Omnipresent ⚜️
    Blog Entries

Default Re: 10 years at TWC

Quote Originally Posted by The Noble Lord View Post
    Wow, what was that like? I've never been to the continent of Africa. How long were you there?
    I was in Cote d'Ivoire for two years as a teacher. While there I spend a few days in Ghana for a teacher's conference. I was in Cote d'Ivoire as a teacher and as a Peace Corps Volunteer.
    The best part about Cote d'Ivoire was the people. They are very warm and friendly. I think there was one taxi driver who was not very nice, but most were very nice. I can recall there was something that happened that caused the people to block the streets. This guy zig-zag across town to get me to my school. It was too bad after getting out of the taxi that I found out that school was canceled for that day. It was another adventure getting back home.

Like in Kabul, traffic can be quite bad. There were lines in the streets and traffic lights, but people drove around like they were only "suggestion." They pretty much drove however and wherever they can. No road rage here either. The most they do is moan and throw their hands up.

The corruption was rampant. The "police" would patrol the streets and hassle you. They would ask for your passport with the hope of getting you to pay them money to let you go. The Embassy advised us to carry photocopies and that worked, However, they were not too happy with it. Generally, and this was cool, once they knew we were Americans, they let us go, but we had to endure a tirade against the French first. There was one week where every week they would pull me over thinking I was French. I got so tired of it, I laid back in my seat and that was the first time I was not pulled over. It was more of a nuisance than anything else. I had a friend that had shipped something to the country. He was advised to bring money to bribe customs. He did and he was asked to come back another day. When he went back, he had to see the supervisor of the person he bribed. He was told that he was offended that he bribed his subordinate and demanded a bribe himself and a sincere apology. They also made my bribe to get my dog in the airport. They even put him on display so that I can see him. They honestly didn't ask for much. Most of the time it was the amount money for a coke. It was still a nuisance.

I like Africa. I nearly went back to Africa a few years back. It would have been Cameroon. I was married to my ex-wife and it came down to science teacher of another couple being much better than the single science teacher.
    MODDERS WANTED | MY PATRONAGES
    Imperial Splendour is looking for Modders and Researchers. SEE AD HERE
    If interested, contact PikeStance(Mod Leader/Manager) or Quintus Hortensius Hortalus (Mod leader /Lead Artist)

Under the Patronage of Omnipotent- Q | Member of the House of Wild Bill Kelso
    Patron of
    _Tataros_
    | Magister Militum Flavius Aetius | Alwyn | Lord Oda Nobunaga | Massive_attack |
    Proposed the Following for PHALERA: Mangalore & sumskilz | OPIFEX: wangrin, z3n, and Swiss Halberdier

Honourable Society of Silly Old Duffers | House of Noble Discourse

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

Still got some time to go until I get that beautiful badge...

Something like 3000 posts to go.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

QuintusSertorius's Avatar EBII Hod Carrier
    Artifex

So how does this 10 year thing work?

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    So how does this 10 year thing work?
    You're 257 posts short.

Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Halie Satanus View Post
    You're 257 posts short.
    Got it, that'll take me a couple of weeks.

antaeus's Avatar Whataboutery

Sigh...
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB MARENOSTRUM

Blog Entries

Just a tad short there, but if you keep arguing with me, you will get there in no time.
    If interested, contact PikeStance(Mod Leader/Manager) or Quintus Hortensius Hortalus (Mod leader /Lead Artist)

Patron of
    _Tataros_
    | Magister Militum Flavius Aetius | Alwyn | Lord Oda Nobunaga | Massive_attack |
    Proposed the Following for PHALERA: Mangalore & sumskilz | OPIFEX: wangrin, z3n, and Swiss Halberdier

Artifex

Oh no he won't!

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    Patrician Artifex Modding Staff

Quote Originally Posted by antaeus View Post
    Sigh...
    10'000 posts over 10 years is 28 posts per day isn't it? 365 * 28

Someone please tell me my half asleep math is wrong?

edit : It probably is? Let me recalculate slowly... 2.7 posts per day!?
    Contributor in The AI Workshop
    AI/Game Mechanics Developer for Europa Barbaroum II
    Developer of The Northern Crusades
    Retired Lead Developer for Classical Age Total War
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance/MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Artifex

On another forum I racked up over 50,000 posts in the space of a decade. That was only averaging about 15 posts a day.

I was running and playing play-by-post games, which can rack up the posts.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Tom Paign has something like 38000 posts. I don't think he's been active for about 10 years...

Artifex

Only another 200 posts for my 10,000.

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes
    Content Emeritus

Only another 200 posts for my 10,000.

Elfdude's Avatar The Blue Spirit
    Patrician Citizen Censor

Urrgh.

We should reward folks who have been around for 10 years separately than post count. Quality does not imply quantity.
    "Pride is not the antidote of Shame but its source, humility is its only true antidote." - Iroh

"
    Quote Originally Posted by Pontifex Maximus View Post
    @ Elfdude, I don't give a for your condescending appraisal of my strategy. You haven't addresses a single point because I think you're unable to. I'm embarrassed for you honestly. Never has somebody so pathetically claimed the moral high ground. Piss poor debating, piss poor. I accept your surrender. Absolutely pathetic. Phalera my ass.
    When all else fails insult your opponents.

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

But activity
    Wrong concern, mate. The award is not to evaluate quality, but plainly highlight 10 years of TWC activity. If you want praise quality, that is why we have Citizenship and specific awards designated to quality contribution.

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: T˘l Acharn - mighty D˙nedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliš Alý, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

antaeus's Avatar Whataboutery

Oh no he won't!
    Correct!

I don't need to have the last word in a debate!
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB MARENOSTRUM

Elfdude's Avatar The Blue Spirit
    Patrician Citizen Censor

Quote Originally Posted by Ngugi View Post
    But activity
    Wrong concern, mate. The award is not to evaluate quality, but plainly highlight 10 years of TWC activity. If you want praise quality, that is why we have Citizenship and specific awards designated to quality contribution.
    Activity cannot be merely assessed on the basis of posts made but more appropriately should evaluate posts made in response to posts made. All things considered there's several folks who have easily contributed hundreds of thousands of posts worth of activity through making only a few posts.

However the semantics of the particular award in question are non-withstanding. I think the two traits 10,000k and 10 years should be amended to 10 years and 1 post per day.
    "Pride is not the antidote of Shame but its source, humility is its only true antidote." - Iroh

"
    Quote Originally Posted by Pontifex Maximus View Post
    @ Elfdude, I don't give a for your condescending appraisal of my strategy. You haven't addresses a single point because I think you're unable to. I'm embarrassed for you honestly. Never has somebody so pathetically claimed the moral high ground. Piss poor debating, piss poor. I accept your surrender. Absolutely pathetic. Phalera my ass.
    When all else fails insult your opponents.

Blog Entries

We made all of these arguments back when the award was first proposed. I believe there were a plenty of alternative suggestions as a compromise, but the poetry of 10 years 10,000 posts could not be shaken. (Proposal)

Patron of
    _Tataros_

Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Elfdude View Post
    Activity cannot be merely assessed on the basis of posts made but more appropriately should evaluate posts made in response to posts made. All things considered there's several folks who have easily contributed hundreds of thousands of posts worth of activity through making only a few posts.

However the semantics of the particular award in question are non-withstanding. I think the two traits 10,000k and 10 years should be amended to 10 years and 1 post per day.
    And in my own case, I've done both, there's no either/or. I've posted lots, and created lots of other posts by my posting.

If I weren't such a conscientious multi-quoter, my count would be much higher, too.
    Last edited by QuintusSertorius; May 06, 2018 at 08:07 AM.

Blog Entries

I have three years to make 595 posts

Patron of
    _Tataros_