Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ask the Walrus.

Default Re: Ask the Walrus.

I can look into ammo counts of certain levy units relative to the damage they do to Cohors and the like. Trust me when I say that usually when a ranged unit is overperforming, it is usually because I gave them too many shots.

There was a long time ago where this was the case with javelin units.

As for getting a decent unit of cavalry before I finish my testing, the easiest way is to vassalize a desert tribe. I believe they get one from second level settlements.

Yuko's Avatar Campidoctor

Walrus, what is the answer to everything?

The funny thing about infinity is, no matter how you add or subtract from it, the answer is always infinity. Thus, the only answer to everything is everything. Really, the only difference between different states of infinity is throughput, or, how rapidly one (Or the universe itself,) can process/experience said infinity as it continues to flow on without end.

Thus, when we talk about everything, I ask: How fast is everything going by? This is the only way one can measure something that literally contains both everything.... And itself.

Deep...

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Any sort of idea when the next version of tuskmod or the tough war will be done?

Tough war: Some of the features I have started adding to it (Out of necessity of it being my startpos-mod, rather then choice,) such as mercenary revamp for the roman empires, and a single factions entire culture being changed are making it very very labor intensive to the point that I am considering just recruiting a startpos.esf editor to the team just to make things go by faster.

Tuskmod: The experimental version of the next version is currently the live steam workshop version. So far, I have gotten fairly positive feedback on it from the people I have been in touch with. I have been a little anxious about maybe hosting a tournament for this experimental version.

Ah I see, I've been using the steam version.

Any recommended load order for it? I have a bunch of reskins, better aggressive CAI and Terminus installed atm.

EDIT: Also, should the submods like longer battle be loaded before or after the main mod?
    Last edited by Yuko; August 22, 2015 at 06:38 PM.

Submods should load after, if you want tuskmods mechanics to absolutely make an appearance in the game, it should load after the last non-tusk mod.

Thanks for the answers!

Will the upcoming AI mod change stuff related to the razing and sacking like Junadai's version or will it allow factions to raze and sack?

I always found that BACAI made too harsh a change, dissalowing the visigoths from sacking is a bit too much, and the "allow sacking" mod completely changed how the sack works.

I won't be releasing with sacking/raising restrictions, but will re-add them if it ends up being necessary.

Hello, Walrusjones and others. As can probably be deduced from my post count and whatnot, I literally signed up just for Tuskmod.

I wanted to ask if there was anything which I could do to help the development, promotion, or community-building of Tuskmod. I enjoy its changes a lot, and I'd greatly enjoy it being a long term alternative to Atilla multiplayer. The best way to do that, of course, is building a proper community and getting more people invested in seeing it survive.

Thanks for the mod!

I have been eager to get a tournament going for this version ever since I fixed cavalry charges, actually. I will ask around a few other total war communities and see if anyone is interested.

Working on getting the new factions into tuskmod. Shouldn't be too long before they are ready.

Edit: There is a new crash I am getting, it may be a while before I find a workaround.

- Updated ability lists to use existing ability entities.

- Consolidated filesystems.

- Verifying every last table.

- Deleting unused, experimental chunks.

Just one mod not playing well with itself. Understood CA.

Troubleshooting part 2:

- Making new mod, with just table land units imported from the new data.pack.

- Set all charge bonuses to 0.

- Tag the file to prevent it from causing conflicts.

- Save.

Just one table causing conflicts with itself. Understood CA.

- Validate Attila.

- Try to boot the one of the two mods, "Test branch 1.5."

- Impact damage isolated.

- Don't lie to me game.

*Boot Screen.*

- Something about land unit tables compiled by PFM is pissing Attila off maybe?

Back to tuskmod:

- TAG EVERYTHING. AGAIN.

Last edited by Walrusjones; September 15, 2015 at 03:19 PM.

I'm usually playing my games on Very Hard. Is there a recommended difficulty for tuskmod?

I tend to play Tuskmod on very hard, with dynamic garrisons. You can expect some fairly large battles on that difficulty, and the enemy can muster some surprisingly large counterattacks. As of right now, I need to finish the dynamic garrisons for the Alans.
    Last edited by Walrusjones; January 19, 2016 at 07:51 PM.

Do you know when the next update is planned to occur?

Also when do you expect to update the CAI in a BACAI style? I'm finding the Huns particularly passive atm - as the ERE they have around 15-20 stacks roaming around the largely desolate Balkans and NE Italy, but seem unable to attack or expand any more. I think part of the problem may be walled settlements - the AI seems unable to storm a walled settlement even with massive odds in their favour.

Also, as an interim measure, would the current version of BACAI be compatible with Tuskmod and dynamic garrisons? I've tried combining them, but seemed to end up with bizarre double garrison armies in some settlements as a result.

Celticus reported a large bank of AI issues that I intend to get around to at the same time I do some touch ups to the Alannic recruitment scheme, which I am feeling fairly inspired to do now due to... Well. Events that have recently happened.

That sounds great

Do you have any insight into potential conflicts between Tuskmod, dynamic garrisons and BACAI? And is there any way to resolve them in the current version?

Specifically, with both mods enabled I get a double garrison appearing in Serdica on Turn 1 (screenies attached). But there was no double garrison when the Visigoths attacked Thessalonica on the same turn.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-01-23_00001.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	685.4 KB 
ID:	334121Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-01-23_00002.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	684.9 KB 
ID:	334120

Small roman settlements get very few dynamic garrisons in small settlements until they research the tech Imperial Transport Services, as such, I would recommend building garrison buildings in small boarder settlements that you cannot afford to develop heavily, or lack the tech to do so.

This is specifically the only case where I made dynamic garrisons noticeably a little weak, to preserve the challenge of playing a roman empire.

Kjertesvein's Avatar Remember to smile
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Hello Tusk. I'm kinda curious and I have 3 questions.

a.) You're pretty good at balancing the mod. I remember watching a video of one of the more competitive total war players (milk and cookies I think) suggesting that "perhaps walrus" should help out balancing the Medieval Kingdoms 1212AD mod. Have you been asked to work with that mod in the future when it's closer to completion or is it possible that you would be interested if the opportunity arrived?

b.) This one is strictly technical and has to do whether you think it's possible to implement or not. In the Graz tests (1988-89), we know that early handheld gunpowder had a high velocity at rifle exit (400-500 m/s) and with a power of up to 7000 joule (compared to the longbow of 70-160 joule), however as soon as the target is ~30 meters away, the accuracy and speed of the bullet drops dramatically 45% and the cavity in ballistics jell is greatly mitigated (less deadly). Do you think any of these factors are possible to simulate with the gun powder unit (which uses the crossbow animation)? The further away the target is, the less damage it does to the target, if that makes any sense.

c.) Do you know whether or not adding the explosive -trait to projectiles allow it to ignore Missile Block Chance? There is currently a problem, in my point of view, if Pavise shields are able to block a barrage of Handgunners that fling 50 grams of iron with a force of 7000 joule. It's ok when we are talking about bows being blocked, but it's strange when we are thinking of Handgunners.

Thank you for your attention and have a nice day.

~Wille
    Thorolf was thus armed. Then Thorolf became so furious that he cast his shield on his back, and, grasping his halberd with both hands, bounded forward dealing cut and thrust on either side. Men sprang away from him both ways, but he slew many. Thus he cleared the way forward to earl Hring's standard, and then nothing could stop him. He slew the man who bore the earl's standard, and cut down the standard-pole. After that he lunged with his halberd at the earl's breast, driving it right through mail and body, so that it came out at the shoulders; and he lifted him up on the halberd over his head, and planted the butt-end in the ground. There on the weapon the earl breathed out his life in sight of all, both friends and foes. [...] 53, Egil's Saga
    I must tell you here of some amusing tricks the Comte d'Eu played on us. I had made a sort of house for myself in which my knights and I used to eat, sitting so as to get the light from the door, which, as it happened, faced the Comte d'Eu's quarters. The count, who was a very ingenious fellow, had rigged up a miniature ballistic machine with which he could throw stones into my tent. He would watch us as we were having our meal, adjust his machine to suit the length of our table, and then let fly at us, breaking our pots and glasses.
    - The pranks played on the knight Jean de Joinville, 1249, 7th crusade.

http://imgur.com/a/DMm19
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    This is the only forum I visit with any sort of frequency and I'm glad it has provided a home for RTR since its own forum went down in 2007. Hopefully my donation along with others from TWC users will help get the site back to its speedy heyday, which will certainly aid us in our endeavor to produce a full conversion mod Rome2.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast