Thread: ((Needs a name))

The Mad Skylord's Avatar Tribunus

Default ((Needs a name))

Okay, the story behind this is that I was doing a creative writing exam in school. There was a list of options and I choose to write about a descriptive piece. You had to write your piece off of a quote that was given to you. I thought I'd put up my piece and see what people though, Enjoy!

P.S. Once you have read it, feel free to suggest an appropriate name. Not saying I'll definitely use it, but I'll certainly consider it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Light as air, they hovered then swooped, twisting impossibly around feather clouds."

Two small, elegant and graceful hummingbirds, beautiful, bright colours. Green, yellow and blue, racing each other in a clear and flawless sky. Spinning, dipping and rolling through the perfectly white clouds, then out the other side again, all the time twisting, swiveling and dancing, turning the huge, endless, bright and sunny sky into their playground.

Two small birds painting a picture of epic proportions across the sky. Suddenly stopping and hovering, then shooting away, avoiding the clouds, then doubling back - all the while avoiding the woolly sheep that are the clouds. Wheeling around, they flit back and forth in zig-zags. They rise up and up and up, then suddenly they dive, wheeling in and out of the clouds, moving so fast they almost paint the sky the colour of their wings. Then they fly so low that they almost touch the ground, then almost out of the blue, they pull up into a big, deep and slow arc into the sky.

The sky begins to turn orange, as the two hummingbirds chase each other across it, playing, wishing the day would never end. They stopped playing as the sky turns from orange, to red, to purple, getting darker and darker. As the sky begins to turn black, the hummingbirds race through the trees and into their nest, where they fall asleep after an exhausting day of painting.

Iron Aquilifer's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: ((Needs a name))

Yup, far too little violence for my tastes But no, very nice. I like the pace and the sense that everything is moving fluidly, akin to the birds themselves. As to a title... *shrug* "Sky Canvas" "Heaven's Painters" "Natural Art" I am not learned in these ways.

Nor am I! It was a piece for a test. So a name wasn't really required...

EDIT
    Would you like it more if the ending was:
    One stole the other's food, and they fought viciously to the death! With blood and guts and gore!

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Your unnamed story is a thing of beauty, reminding me (in a good way) of the description of the swallows in Ted Hughes' poem Work and Play.

Cool! Thanks, mate!