Thread: Warhammer factions play style (Videos)

Default Warhammer factions play style (Videos)

Here are videos on the 4 announced factions in Warhammer Total War. These videos discuss the factions in Total War terms and are designed to give you a taste of the four options. These are meant to help you decide who you want to play as and what to expect. They are in no way set in stone so we may not see everything reflected in these videos, however the overall theme and style of the corresponding factions should remain the same.

-

Last edited by Pċsan; May 20, 2015 at 02:57 AM. Reason: Fixed the vids for ya ;)

HigoChumbo's Avatar Definitely not Jom.
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Default Re: Warhammer factions play style (Videos)

Try like this. For instance, for this youtube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ just pick everything after the "v=" and paste it between the [youtube] command like this:

I think it stems from the fact I just started posting. Tho I have lurked off and on over the years, I just registered.

Wait - I've just logged on to this site for the first time since 2006 to write this.

This is a Warhammer Game without SPACE MARINES?!?

Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Voth View Post
    I think it stems from the fact I just started posting. Tho I have lurked off and on over the years, I just registered.
    No problem It took me years to learn how to embed youtube videos

In any case, you can edit your comments any time you want. I usually spend more time fine-tunning my posts and correcting spelling errors than writting the posts themselves ^^

Welcome to Total War Center mate, the only place on earth where the historical authenticity of roman sandals is a raison d'etat .

Quote Originally Posted by Gillam I View Post
    Wait - I've just logged on to this site for the first time since 2006 to write this.

Well, not the best choice for a glorious come back comment xD

The original Warhammer franchise is Warhammer Fantasy, not W40k. 40k could even be considered a reimagination of Warhammer Fantasy Battle set in the future (The Empire as the Space Marines/Imperial Guard, Elves as Eldar and... well, Orks as Orks). I've always liked both settings (I got into 40k first), and still, I can't help it but feel that, even when 40k is more modern, as of today, it is in my opinion visually more outdated than Fantasy. As someone who 15 years ago thought that Ultramarines were the coolest thing on Earth, I can tell you that in my opinion they look awful now. So damn tacky. Like a bunch of blue Darth Vaders on steroids wearing bell-bottoms armor.

I'm personally glad CA chose Warhammer Fantasy for this one.
    Last edited by HigoChumbo; May 21, 2015 at 12:18 PM.

Grimaldus's Avatar Libertus

Must... hold back... Nerdrage. How is squad based science fiction urban-/Jungle/whatsoever-warfare gonna fit into a TW-Game? Of course there are no Space Marines.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimaldus View Post
    Must... hold back... Nerdrage. How is squad based science fiction urban-/Jungle/whatsoever-warfare gonna fit into a TW-Game? Of course there are no Space Marines.
    I've come across this same debate so many times already, TW is a linear warfare sim in the context of battles ... every time I see a 40k TW comments/posts I just facepalm. 40k would be good in company of heroes tho.

"a bunch of blue Darth Vaders on steroids wearing bell-bottoms armor" that was brutal lolololol ... I thought they looked like cylons X_X

So its going to be like Lord of the Rings then? Orks and Elves..

Might be the first TW I don't buy...not that any of you care!!

Hopefully Darth will mod this so their are Space Marines?

Now i remember why I haven't been on here since 2006, I was trolling to much!
    Last edited by Aikanár; May 18, 2015 at 08:20 AM. Reason: consecutive postings, please use the "edit post" button and the multiquote function.

Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Voth View Post
    40k would be good in company of heroes tho.
    That's already done. Dawn of War 2 is a W40k game done with the Company of Heroes engine.

So its going to be like Lord of the Rings then? Orks and Elves..
    That strikes me as a pretty simplistic comparison. Is Game of Thrones like the Spyro games because both have dragons?

Not all Fantasy settings are fairy tales, just like there are Sci-Fi movies as drastically different as Star Wars, Bladerunner, Alien, Wall-E, Interstellar, Inception, Mad Max or Doctor Who. A prejudiced quality movies lover who went "oh, it has aliens and spaceships in it, pass" would have missed some of the masterpieces in that list.

By the way, there are Orks and Elves (Eldar) in 40k too.
    Last edited by HigoChumbo; May 21, 2015 at 12:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HigoChumbo View Post
    That's already done. Dawn of War 2 is a W40k game done with the Company of Heroes engine.

That's a pretty simplistic comparison. Is Game of Thrones like the Spyro games because both have dragons?

Not all Fantasy settings are fairy tales, just like there are Sci-Fi movies as drastically different as Star Wars, Bladerunner, Alien, Wall-E, Interstellar, Inception, Mad Max or Doctor Who. A prejudiced quality movies lover who went "oh, it has aliens and spaceships in it, pass" would have missed some of the masterpieces in that list.

By the way, there are Orks and Elves (Eldar) in 40k too.
    Thanks for the reply

I do think I'll give this TW a miss, but at the same time keeping an eye on the game. Its a good sign that CA are prepared to go to a drastic change of game, instead of TW:M3 but at the same time I also think TW:W isn't the correct direction. One thing i like about TW is that you can relate to a nation or relate to the period, for example I am British, and in TW:E OR TW:N I can relate to Britain fighting France. Can you relate to being an Ork or Elf?

But any way, if some one can mod in some Space Marines gunning down thousands of Orks I'll at least watch the youtube video.

Can you relate to being an Ork or Elf?
    Quite easily since you know, role playing is a thing. Even then then just play the Empire who are humans if you can't relate to humans in general I'm gonna have to be a bit worried XD

Citizen

Blog Entries

Thanks for the reply

I do think I'll give this TW a miss, but at the same time keeping an eye on the game. Its a good sign that CA are prepared to go to a drastic change of game, instead of TW:M3 but at the same time I also think TW:W isn't the correct direction. .
    Well, the great thing is that there is no need for just one direction. Medieval 3 is inevitable. It will happen sooner or later no matter how many Warhammers they release. They have different teams, so in theory they are developing an historical game at the same time as Warhammer.

One thing i like about TW is that you can relate to a nation or relate to the period, for example I am British, and in TW:E OR TW:N I can relate to Britain fighting France.
    In that case, let me tell you that you should have more incentives to enjoy Warhammer than Shogun, for instance, since in Shogun, there is nothing with which you, as a brit, can relate to (the Portuguese would be the closest), while in Warhammer most if not all factions have a real world counterpart. You don't need to be very imaginative to instantly notice that The Empire is the Holy Roman Empire of the late 15th. century but with griphons and mages, that the Lizardmen are the Aztecs/Mayans/Incas, that Kislev is based on Poland/Russia and so on. If you could relate to England in Medieval TW, you should have no problem relating to Bretonnia, which is basically a faction inspired in England/France during the 100 Years War with a few added mythological creatures. Check it:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

In fact I do believe that they did that on purpose so customers from different nationalities would have a stronger bound with the particular faction they play. By the way, there is even an island called Albion which is pretty much the equivalent to Britain.

Can you relate to being an Ork or Elf?
    Of course I can. You just need an imagination. There would not be Fantasy at all if people were not able to relate to fantastic things. Take World of Warcraft for instance, you can choose to be Human, but also Undead, an Elf, an Orc, a Troll... and I can assure you that most people don't choose to be a human and that the vast majority of the players relate to their characters. Hell... I've even seen real people shouting "For the Horde" in the street (for the uninitiated, The Horde is the bad(ish) Faction in WoW and there is not a trace of humanity in any of its races).

But any way, if some one can mod in some Space Marines gunning down thousands of Orks I'll at least watch the youtube video.
    Again, Space Marines have nothing to do with Warhammer Fantasy. There are two main different and separated Warhammer universes, Warhammer Fantasy (a late Medieval-early Rennaissance fantastic setting) and Warhammer 40k (its futuristic, sci-fi counterpart). Space Marines belong to the later.

In any case, it's exactly the same with 40k. Not everyone plays Space Marines or Imperial Guard (the two "human" factions). People also play the orks, or the eldar, the Tau, or even necrons (evil robots) and tyranids (evil aliens) and normally relate to what they are playing. The Space Marines are barely human themselves.
    Last edited by HigoChumbo; May 17, 2015 at 10:53 AM.

Hopefully Darth will mod this so their are Space Marines?
    I'm sure if you ask nicely, Darth will mod some space marines into the battle of Gettysburg.

Quote Originally Posted by HigoChumbo View Post
    In that case, let me tell you that you should have more incentives to enjoy Warhammer than Shogun, for instance, since in Shogun, there is nothing with which you, as a brit, can relate to (the Portuguese would be the closest), while in Warhammer most if not all factions have a real world counterpart. You don't need to be very imaginative to instantly notice that The Empire is the Holy Roman Empire of the late 15th. century but with griphons and mages, that the Lizardmen are the Aztecs/Mayans/Incas, that Kislev is based on Poland/Russia and so on. If you could relate to England in Medieval TW, you should have no problem relating to Bretonnia, which is basically a faction inspired in England/France during the 100 Years War with a few added mythological creatures. Check it:
    Ahh I will have a look - Are there any videos of actual play through? (i've google it couldn't find any)

And Shogun - i played about 14 hours, maybe less. Couldn't get into it for the reason I didn't relate to the japs, didn't understand the era, or know the clans, didn't want to either. Med 2, Rome 2, Empire and Nappy over 100 hours each.

Grimaldus's Avatar Libertus

Well if you're british: Orks are based on british hooligans. No Joke. Maybe you can relate with that.

I am from the upper class, so no

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Videos are good but since nothing concrete is known at the moment they're more or less just speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimaldus View Post
    Well if you're british: Orks are based on british hooligans. No Joke. Maybe you can relate with that.
    According to GW Orks are based on dark age irish tribes mixed with 1980s English football hooligan gangs.
    Last edited by Sir Adrian; May 26, 2015 at 04:00 PM.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Also known as the Scots.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.