Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RSII Installation Issues

Hetairos's Avatar Roma Surrectum II

Default RSII Installation Issues

Hey guys,

After a year of long wait I've finally were able to get a new Desktop! I've immediately installed RSII, but I can not get it to run. After starting RSII I will get into the game and as soon as I click to start the campaign it will crash immediately after the loading screen.

I've done the following:

Getting Ready.
    1.) Install clean copy of RTW Gold and RTW ALX (Steam, newest Patch should be installed automatically by Steam).
    2.) Downloaded RS 2.5 and RS 2.6
    3.) Created a folder for RTW, RTW ALX, RSII (empty destination folder), RS2.5 and RS 2.6

Installation.
    3.) Copied RTW Gold into RSII
    4.) Copied RTW ALX into RSII (override everything)
    5.) Installed RS 2.5 into RSII (override everything)
    6.) Copied RS 2.6 into RSII (override everything)
    7.) Deployed login details for Steam
    8.) Launched game
    9.) Launched campaign
    = Crash after loading screen.

Does anyone with Win 8.1 have the same issues? I played RSII on Win7 on my old laptop and it worked fine.

Thank you for your assistance.

Cheers
    Hetairos

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

Default Re: RSII Installation Issues

The problem is Steam. They updated the exe's for RTW\BI\Alex and broke RS2. I have yet to figure out how to fix this.

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Uninstall from Steam entirely - your purchase was a waste of money.

Buy the disk - never, ever, have a problem again. That said, I know that earlier adopters had some issues with Win 8.1. Win10 may well be better.

Personally I dislike Win8.1 on my phone, let alone a proper PC!
    "RTW/RS VH campaign difficulty is bugged out (CA bug that never got fixed) and thus easier than Hard so play on that instead" - apple

RSII 2.5/2.6 Tester and pesky irritant to the Team. Mucho praise for long suffering dvk'.

Hetairos's Avatar Roma Surrectum II

Hey guys, thanks for the answer. You don't know how much I missed you guys

I hope that somebody will be able to come along with a solution soon.

Now with a new desktop, I am simply waiting to finish my huge backlog of work to return to RSII and modding AAW again.

After exploring the latest news on TW and all those new games Arena, Attila, Warhammer, etc. if Attila and RII are compatible regarding models and modding I would like to continue with AAW and my mission to provide RSII-like play for the new engine soon. However all those plans about Warhammer and Arena and so on make me believe that both Rome II games are abandoned more or less. Just waiting to finish DLC whoring on Atilla...? Hehe. Good that RSII is the best and most immersive game of all times.

Yeah Tedric, I too am questioning Win 8.1 design and feel. Alternatives with OS X are unfortunately un-existent. Except to go with Win7 maybe...

do you know any place that hosts the online version of the disc copy? i have been searching for it but i cannot seem to find any

Is it possible to run RSII without the disk? I ask this perfectly honestly as I own 3 different copies of the original game, but my work laptop on which I would like to install (for long trips with little to do) is a new Lenovo that lacks any kind of CD drive.

I know that non-CD cracks exist for most old vanilla games but given all the tweaks to RSII, I presume that these would not work?

Patrician

Any exe that will run RTW\BI\Alex will run RS2.......except the Steam versions.

R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Quote Originally Posted by ur-Lord Tedric View Post
    Uninstall from Steam entirely - your purchase was a waste of money.

Buy the disk - never, ever, have a problem again. That said, I know that earlier adopters had some issues with Win 8.1. Win10 may well be better.

Personally I dislike Win8.1 on my phone, let alone a proper PC!
    I been running RS on windows 8 and 8.1 without any issues ever. And I am now running RS on Windows 10 with no issues. I'm sure when the final version of Windows 10 comes out it will run just as fine or better.
    Proudly under the patronage of Tone
    Roma Surrectum Local Moderator

Do you think a solution can be found or I must necessarily buy the cd version?

Patrician

Until I can figure out how to make RS2 work with the Steam version, I'm afraid a CD is the only 'legal' option.

R.I.P. My Beloved Father

I bought a disc of rtw and it required steam as well.So yeah...

Miles

Quote Originally Posted by ryanc522 View Post
    do you know any place that hosts the online version of the disc copy? i have been searching for it but i cannot seem to find any
    direct2drive has it

edit nvm they dont sell it anymore

Is R:TW bought on Steam dependent on Steam to play? I'm just asking since there are games I've bought through Steam which does not actually require me to have steam running.

Has anyone tried this, by the way?(please post if it works):
    Quote Originally Posted by Travus View Post
    The problem appears to be caused by a PAK file. Go to your RTW directory and look in the .../data/packs folder. Delete the file called "ui_1.pak". Make a backup first, of course. You should now be able to play a campaign. Let me know how it turns out.
    Last edited by Pingponggeek; May 26, 2015 at 12:42 PM.

sorry pingpong, but that doesn't work.

My problem isn't that it's crashing, but that even after installing rs2, when I load up the game it just loads up normal rome instead of RS2

Miles

did you try launching RS2 with rtw exe?

SD_Man's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by 5th Lieutenant View Post
    I know that non-CD cracks exist for most old vanilla games but given all the tweaks to RSII, I presume that these would not work?
    Its not the most legal option which I guess is why the RS team cant suggest it, however, alternatively if you have an old version of the RTW/BI/ALX exe (read: before the patch) saved on your harddrive then that should work as well, so I have heard ...

EDIT: @Hetairos if you still have your "outdated" files from your old laptop then it would only take a transfer of exes from your old pc to the new install, best of luck
    Last edited by SD_Man; May 26, 2015 at 08:55 PM.

The only one that it will work on is the one disk eras with Barbarian invasion and Rome on one install disk, the gold edition does not work, nor will it ever work, people who tell you it is updated obviously don't have the game, so they have no idea what they are talking about.
    "Today I saw a slave become more powerful than the Emperor of Rome"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

fableofsea's Avatar Civis

The Gold edition disks work, that's how I play this Mod. I play it on the BI disk from the Gold Edition, but I recommend updating to the last patch on both games.
    Last edited by fableofsea; May 27, 2015 at 12:55 PM.
    Party hard and pillage!

I have all versions of Rome Total War (CDs and Steam) and I have tested them all with RSII and I can report the following.

1. RSII does not work with either version of Steam (Rome Total War Gold, or Alexander)
    2. RSII works with all CD versions of the game updated to their latest patch (Rome Total War Gold CDs, and Alexander CDs).

The Steam version was working until recently. Why isn't working know? I think we should ask CA/SEGA. Did they feel so threaten by this mod that they had to mess around with the games .exe files or with the game itself? You know, because this mod, in many ways, is better than Total War Rome II. And I'm not talking about just eye candy here.

I install Rome Total War just to play this mod. This is outrageous.
    Last edited by miguel11; May 28, 2015 at 05:49 AM.

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by miguel11 View Post
    I have all versions of Rome Total War (CDs and Steam) and I have tested them all with RSII and I can report the following.

1. RSII does not work with either version of Steam (Rome Total War Gold, or Alexander)
    2. RSII works with all CD versions of the game updated to their latest patch (Rome Total War Gold CDs, and Alexander CDs).

The Steam version was working until recently. Why isn't working know? I think we should ask CA/SEGA. Did they feel so threaten by this mod that they had to mess around with the games .exe files or with the game itself? You know, because this mod, in many ways, is better than Total War Rome II. And I'm not talking about just eye candy here.

I install Rome Total War just to play this mod. This is outrageous.
    I hate to say it, but I agree with you. CA\Sega claimed for years that they had 'lost the source code' for RTW\BI\Alexander. Then all of a sudden, it turns up in Steams hands. (Where the hell did they get it?)
    Steam rewrote the exe's...presumably for Steam's purposes of monitoring and updating the game files.....which is ludicrous. RTW hasn't been updated in ten years, and never will be. So why they did that is beyond me to explain.
    Anyway, Steam's meddling with the exe's is what breaks ANY mod that was not originally 'modfoldered'. For example, RTRVII works fine with the Steam version. But RS2 is modfoldered to ITSELF, because of all of the individual campaigns that were written for it. Essentially, RS2 is 25 modfoldered mods in one mod.

R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast