View Poll Results: Do you think TW:W will feature sea battles ?

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • TW:W will feature realistic naval battles like previous total war

14 19.72%
  • TW:W will feature fantasy naval battles like shown in Dreadfleet or Man'o War

6 8.45%
  • TW:W will feature realistic naval battles in the 2 expensions/expended game

7 9.86%
  • TW:W will feature fantasy naval batlles in the 2 expensions/ expended game

18 25.35%
  • TW:W will not feature naval battle at all

26 36.62%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Total War : Warhammer and sea battles

Default Re: Total War : Warhammer and sea battles

Quote Originally Posted by paradamed View Post
    Naval battles NEED to be in. Why take a step back in the series cutting inovations introduced years ago with Empire? It make no sense at all. They are important in the warhammer universe. The engine can support them. They have pretty much succeeded in the previous games (after patches). They need to be in the game.
    I agree with that. I think most people simply think that CA shouldn't invest too much effort in the naval battles in the first game, since they would only be secondary given the map we will be playing in. I think people would prefer awesome magic mechanics and flying creatures in the first game, and ultimately develop the naval battles further in a future game when the Dark Elves and High Elves are introduced.

So personnally, I expect something like this for TW Warhammer's naval battles: A blend of the battle mechanics we had in previous games, with re-skinned units. The Empire's navy would behave like ships of the line in ETW, the dwarves would get metal-hulled steamships with ramming abilities, other factions like the greenskins would be centered around boarding actions and archer ships.

Nothing special, nothing too innovative, simply something that works and looks good for now. When we start fighting for Ulthuan and Lustria, I will start to expect some truly epic game-changing naval battles.

Senator

There were landlocked factions in every historical Total War too - and the way they got a fleet was to capture some ports (except in crazy Rome II with it's instant-warship-transports).

If you read some Warhammer novels pretty much every faction has fleets. There's the Dwarven port city of Barak Varr during the war between the dwarves and the elves.

The Empire has fleets that defend the coasts against chaos and Norse invasions (though Norse have now been subsumed into chaos). The Dark elves raid the old world with fleets. The high elves fight them at sea. Necromancers and vampires raise sunken ships and their crews.

Having flyers that can land and take off from ships and take part in sea battles would add another dimension to it (had those in the Man O' War miniatures game)

Not that i'm holding my breath about Warhammer Total War being worth buying or playing after Rome II just shoddily trying to make the game run on an Empire Total War game engine.
    Last edited by Dunadd; May 01, 2016 at 10:18 AM.

Navy battles would be all but pointless until they get the entire map out considering its only on the west side of the map and a tad bit on the east. Also Naval battles were always crap and i personally couldn't care less about them being autoresolve only again. Hell even in the games were the Navies should be very important based on where water is they rarely if ever mean anything unless carrying troops across the water or blockading ports.

Tiro

I think they will include navy battles when they release the Dark Elvs Vs High Elves expansion pack... Dark Elves especially move by Sea...

While everyone now knows that Naval combat will not make it in this iteration of the game it really needs to be in by the last installment and preferably implemented in the middle segment. They have not gone with a new engine as they should have for this game so the very least they could do for us is what Empire did very well: Badass Naval combat. In fact with flying units and underwater monsters they can make it way better then Empire. This engine has matured a great deal so they should be able to stomp all over Empire tech wise as well.

I think Naval battles will be in the next expansion.

At least I hope so. Someone said it earlier, that it'll most likely be when they introduce High and Dark Elves.

I for one look forward to Dwarven Ironclads...
    Forward, march!

Habelo's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Naval battles with flying units and magic would be awesome.
    You have a certain mentality, a "you vs them" and i know it is hard to see, but it is only your imagination which makes up enemies everywhere. I haven't professed anything but being neutral so why Do you feel the need to defend yourself from me?. Truly What are you defending? when there is nobody attacking?

Quote Originally Posted by Habelo View Post
    Naval battles with flying units and magic would be awesome.
    Just like the naval combat is a 'natural' for Dark & High Elves, subterranean combat is a 'natural' for Skaven, Dwarves and Orcs. It would be nice to get naval combat in the second expansion, and subterranean combat (along with subterranean campaign map layer) in the third one. But ... that's extremely ambitious, I'm unsure if not too ambitious for CA at this point. Could be they had these ideas on the design board and scrapped them either way. Which would be sad, because these two features (along with standard bearers) are the areas modders can likely do very little about once the core game's released.

PS.

Voted 'TW:W will feature fantasy naval batlles in the 2 expensions/ expended game', well so much for undying optimism then. I'm not pre-ordering and can wait for the complete package, so either way I'm not investing anything into the series except my time until I commit to a purchase.
    Last edited by lavez; May 09, 2016 at 02:40 PM.

Karnil Vark Khaitan's Avatar Praepositus

Meeehhhh They can still do it later on, as lavez said.

Im the Knight in Sour Armor http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ghtInSourArmor
    Rainbow Darling rainbows Darling. Darling Rainbows!!!!!
    but on the same time modder with my first mod for Rome 2!http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=286218945
    Hey Sparkle Sparkle Sparkle!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDULtV9U2kA
    Quote Originally Posted by riskymonk View Post
    yea but mods are created by fans of the series. Games are created by university students who might not necessarily know or play the games/series they're working on

joedreck's Avatar Artifex

I would like to see more then sea battles - command team, mark of gods, different color of units from empire from different provinces and also Kislev with own units.
    Better great made Land units, then okey or clone made sea any land units.
    Edictum mod adds new edicts to Rome II. http://www.twcenter.net / YouTube: Edictum Mod / Click here for Edictum Mod on steam
    Vote Brain Slug for president.

Bongfu's Avatar Senator

I seem to be the only person in this thread thus far that sees naval battles as essential for a Total War title. Without a MAJOR leap forward we saw in Empire and the upgrade to naval combat we got in FOTS and Rome, I think we will be missing a very core feature.

Does every faction have access to the sea? No, but neither has every faction in previous titles. There is quite a bit of sea to cover for those territories that do touch the water.

HigoChumbo's Avatar Definitely not Jom.
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bongfu View Post
    I seem to be the only person in this thread thus far that sees naval battles as essential for a Total War title. Without a MAJOR leap forward we saw in Empire and the upgrade to naval combat we got in FOTS and Rome, I think we will be missing a very core feature.
    Naval battles are a great concept, and I remember how much I missed having them when I played the old Total Wars... but the way they were implemented did not make it as cool as it sounded on paper. The innovation that they were in empire has faded and now they are just a boring, plain affair which requires way too much micromanagement and that (I believe) most people altogether skip. In Rome 2 the addition of hybrid landings sounded great as well (and the concept is plain amazing), but, again, the implementation was not nearly as fun. I have for instance finished an entire Shogun 2 campaign without building a single ship.

Although I have not played it yet, "naval" combat in the lines of Battlefleet Gothic Armada could be more interesting.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12