Page 90 of 127 FirstFirst ... 40658081828384858687888990919293949596979899100115 ... LastLast
Results 1,781 to 1,800 of 2522

Thread: Fans suggestion thread for future releases

Default Re: Fans suggestion thread for future releases

Quote Originally Posted by k/t View Post
    Lorica Segmentata!
    This isn't the bad suggestions thread.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    This isn't the bad suggestions thread.
    Every time Quintus makes a dry joke, it's like Master Splinter from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles "making a funny".

In all seriousness, though, the only reason I didn't continue with my own cursory Lorica Segmentata mod is because nobody seemed interested in making a submod for the Imperial reforms or the Principate era following the Marian one. Has anyone made any serious suggestion that they would create a future submod with a late 1st century BC starting date? That would be kinda cool, because the young Roman Empire on the verge of invading Germania under Augustus or even the fractured Roman Republic in the Liberator's Civil War following Caesar's assassination would make for a great submod. Hell, even a Trajan invasion of Dacia and Parthia submod, or Marcus Aurelius facing the Marcomanni invasions submod would be super awesome and still challenging, even with the Roman Empire at that size.

The problem with the late era is that the grey death is replaced by an even more implacable red death. I can see the attraction if you're a Roman player, but for any other faction it's just an increase in difficulty with the impending Roman wave even closer.

I'm more interested in an earlier start date (323BC), than a later one, but the further back (or forward) you go, the more change is required to a host of files.

I'm more interested in an earlier start date (323BC), than a later one, but the further back (or forward) you go, the more change is required to a host of files.
    Yes! I would love to start with only Latium as a province and have to fight the Samnite Wars. I understand that would be a lot of work to go back that much farther though.

Which one is the grey death? I haven't played this mod yet.

Quote Originally Posted by k/t View Post
    Which one is the grey death? I haven't played this mod yet.
    Seleucids.

Not to be a complete annoyance, but do we have a rough ETA on the next patch?

I've been holding off on starting a new campaign since Quintus mentioned a few weeks ago that it was only weeks away, but my 170 BC KH campaign is turning into a slog (my titanic war with the Grey Death has turned Asia Minor into more of a meatgrinder than Verdun).

So I guess my real question (if you guys don't feel like disclosing the date) is whether its worth waiting for the patch before starting a new campaign? The recent purchase of several Adrian Goldsworthy tomes has got me hot under the collar for some veni vidi vici...

Can't give an ETA; who knows what playtesting will turn up when I finish this current mammoth script.

As I always tell people who are "waiting", play a faction you wouldn't normally play, and give us feedback on your experience. That way when the patch appears you won't be abandoning a game you're especially attached to, and you give us useful information in the meantime.
    Last edited by QuintusSertorius; April 10, 2019 at 05:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rad View Post
    Here are the Scordisci images I mentioned.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

1. Reverse of a Celtic coin, silver tetradrachm depicting a horseman and amphora, minted by Scordisci tribe, 3rd-2nd century BC. Syrmium

2. Reverse of silver tetradrachm minted by a Celtic tribe Scordisci, Zigzag type, with horse, square and letter S, 3rd-2nd century BC, excavated in northern Serbia.

3. Silver coin of Celtic tribe Scordisci, 3rd century BC, from the collection of the National Museum of Serbia in Belgrade.

4. Ancient silver coins, Greek, Macedonian and Celtic mintage, 4th-2nd century BC, found in ancient Singidunum, present-day Belgrade, capital of Serbia. Kept in City Museum of Belgrade.

5. Celtic golden coin – minim of tribe Scordisci with motif of animal paw, 1st century BC, found in Batajnica, near Belgrade.

6. Figurine of Celtic horseman, Iron age, La Tene period, 4th-3rd century BC, found in vicinity of Kladovo, eastern Serbia.

7. Celtic jewelry, 4th-1st century BC, excavated in graves at the ancient Celtic settlement of Singidunum, present day Belgrade

8. Celtic silver rings, 1st - 2nd century BC, made by Scordisci tribe, found at oppidium - Celtic hillfort at Židovar.

9. Celtic spurs, iron, late Iron age period, 2nd-1st century BC, found at various sites in vicinity of Svrljig.

10. Celtic iron knives, 3rd-1st century BC, findings from graves of Celtic warriors in Serbia. Kept in the National Museum of Serbia, Belgrade.

11. Celtic weapons – sword, spear heads, knives and umbo, central part of the shield, Iron age period, 4th-2nd century BC, found in graves at necropolis at Karaburma in Belgrade. Kept in the City Museum of Belgrade.

12. Celtic spearheads, iron, La Tene culture, Iron age, 3rd-2nd century BC, findings from warrior graves at Celtic necropolis in Kupinovo, Srem region, northern Serbia. 29.9 i 39.9 cm

13. Findings from a Celtic warrior's grave - fibula, knife, belt set, spear head and ritually killed bent sword, late Iron age period, 2nd century BC, found in Čubra village, near Negotin, eastern Serbia. Museum of Negotin.

14. Iron findings from a grave of Celtic warrior – battle knife, belt, spearhead and fibula, 2nd century BC, found at Čubra archaeological site, vicinity of Negotin, knife is 32.5cm, soear 39.5cm, belt 16cm, fibulae 9cm

15. Short Celtic iron sword with iron scabbard, Iron age, late La Tene period, 4th-2nd century BC, found in a grave at Celtic necropolis at Karaburma in Belgrade. 49cm. City Museum of Belgrade.

16. Spearheads, knives, spurs, fibulae, arrowheads and paleo-Balkan weapon sica - a curved dagger decorated with conjoined solar symbols, 3rd-1st century BC, made by tribe Scordisci. Kept in the National Museum of Serbia, Belgrade.

17. 83.5 cm Ritually killed Celtic sword by bending, La Tene culture, Iron age, 3rd-2nd century BC, finding from warrior grave at Celtic necropolis in Kupinovo.

18. Celtic bronze bracelets, La Tene culture, Iron age, 3rd-2nd century BC, finding from graves at Celtic necropolis in Kupinovo, Srem region.

19. Celtic bronze fibula, La Tene culture, Iron age, 3rd-2nd century BC, finding from a grave at Celtic necropolis in Kupinovo, Srem region.

I'd like to suggest that two Scordisci units make their appearance in the mod.

The first would be a cavalry unit - there's lots of surviving calvary equipment and horses often depicted on Scordisci coins. A medium-heaviish unit with a mix of Celtic, Illyrian and Thracian gear comes to mind.

The second would be a light-medium infantry unit - I don't have much to go on for now, but I was inspired by the short Celtic sword and Celtic knives.

I will try to find data and images on surviving armor.
    Another shield boss.

https://balkancelts.wordpress.com/20...czjmledq1z5Yxs

Antonius's Avatar Decanus
    Europe - Britain, Austria, Italy, Belgium....

Please, please, please:

Create an installer which makes the game useable with other mods and in the normal steam directory...
    It is always easier to fight for one’s principles than to live up to them.
    ~Alfred Adler

Quote Originally Posted by Antonius View Post
    Please, please, please:

Create an installer which makes the game useable with other mods and in the normal steam directory...
    What you mean? I have EBII, De Bello Mundi, Third Age Total War and Deus Lo Vult in the folder and can play all of them.

Nice job with the scordisci Rad, +1 rep from me

Quote Originally Posted by Antonius View Post
    Please, please, please:

If your default Steam directory is in Program Files, the mod will not work properly. There is no way around that, it is something we learned through bitter experience.

Antonius's Avatar Decanus
    Europe - Britain, Austria, Italy, Belgium....

If your default Steam directory is in Program Files, the mod will not work properly. There is no way around that, it is something we learned through bitter experience.
    Anyway, I won't be able to play, as my laptop doesn't allow another big enough partition, and I can't create a second steam download folder on C:... sucks...
    It is always easier to fight for one’s principles than to live up to them.
    ~Alfred Adler

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

The problem with the late era is that the grey death is replaced by an even more implacable red death. I can see the attraction if you're a Roman player, but for any other faction it's just an increase in difficulty with the impending Roman wave even closer.

You're not thinking outside the box, though, or even just applying historical realities that could limit the Roman faction to make it more playable for other factions. For instance, the Roman Empire during the reign of Marcus Aurelius was smacked hard with the Antonine Plague right when the Marcomannic Wars were occurring. That's enough to keep the Roman player busy and other factions to make their moves while Rome is utterly distracted and experiencing an economic downturn.

For the reign of Augustus, you could even script something like Sweboz armies spawning in Germania to represent the level of threat they posed. You could do that and complement it with a very hostile and united Parthian Empire.

For a submod set in the late Republic you could easily divide things among warring factions, like a slugging match of Sulla versus his enemies and Mithridates the Great of Pontus, or Caesar versus Pompey, or the Second Triumvirate versus the Liberatores, or Octavian versus Mark Antony & Cleopatra VII Philopator.

I'm sure you could do all of those things. Speaking only for myself, I have no interest whatsoever in anything later than about the battle of Actium.

I would like to see an option to set up a triplex formation using the formations button.

I would like to see a comeback of the rorarii as well.

Quote Originally Posted by pokeytrev View Post
    I would like to see an option to set up a triplex formation using the formations button.

I would like to see a comeback of the rorarii as well.
    Good luck with formations, they are buggy as hell to tinker with.

The Rorarii aren't coming back, the Leves already represent the lowest class of Camillian-era soldier.

The Rorarii aren't coming back, the Leves already represent the lowest class of Camillian-era soldier.
    So Leves are representing both Rorarii and Accensi, right? Those were AFAIK distinct types in Camillian system.

I really wish the mod would give a bit more emphasis on Koile Syria. It was a contested region and resulted in lots of conflicts between the Seleucids- Ptolemies and more. Cities like Sidon, Biblos, Tyre, Hierosolyma, Gaza would be a nice addition, they would also make the Ptolemies harder to conquer as they could start with more regions. Seleucia in Pieria would be a nice addition too (maybe if a person/ AI controls both Antiocheia and Seleucia in Pieria it'll give an income boost to Antioch, while not controlling it may lead to unhappiness).
    Lysimachia would be a nice addition too (needing to conquer it if you want to move to Asia Minor through the Thracian Chersonese).
    Also it'd be nice to make horses afraid of elephants (maybe a script to enable skirmish mode if near elephants?).
    Is there any intention in the future to make hellenistic units more romanized as time passes? I know there are thorakitai and thureophoroi but those were used even before the Successor Kingdoms came in contact with the Romans (eg Antiochus against the Parthians).
    I wish there would be a more romanised unit for the hellenistic factions as there is evidence of romanization (Daphne Parade, Asclepiodotus Tactica ) or at least a mail-wearing thorakitai unit (like the stele of Salmomedes) with that helmet with the plume.

Quote Originally Posted by antiochos_hierax View Post
    I really wish the mod would give a bit more emphasis on Koile Syria. It was a contested region and resulted in lots of conflicts between the Seleucids- Ptolemies and more. Cities like Sidon, Biblos, Tyre, Hierosolyma, Gaza would be a nice addition, they would also make the Ptolemies harder to conquer as they could start with more regions. Seleucia in Pieria would be a nice addition too (maybe if a person/ AI controls both Antiocheia and Seleucia in Pieria it'll give an income boost to Antioch, while not controlling it may lead to unhappiness).
    Lysimachia would be a nice addition too (needing to conquer it if you want to move to Asia Minor through the Thracian Chersonese).
    We're not taking suggestions for map changes, I'm afraid.

Also it'd be nice to make horses afraid of elephants (maybe a script to enable skirmish mode if near elephants?).
    It's the other way around, elephants all have the frighten_mounted property, which does impact morale of horses. As do camels.

Not possible to script skirmish mode when near elephants.

Is there any intention in the future to make hellenistic units more romanized as time passes? I know there are thorakitai and thureophoroi but those were used even before the Successor Kingdoms came in contact with the Romans (eg Antiochus against the Parthians).
    I wish there would be a more romanised unit for the hellenistic factions as there is evidence of romanization (Daphne Parade, Asclepiodotus Tactica ) or at least a mail-wearing thorakitai unit (like the stele of Salmomedes) with that helmet with the plume.
    You've just answered your own question. It's questionable whether there really were "Romanised" units, or if this was just Romanocentric ancient writers assuming what they saw was the result of Roman influence.