Page 74 of 127 FirstFirst ... 244964656667686970717273747576777879808182838499124 ... LastLast
Results 1,461 to 1,480 of 2525

Thread: Fans suggestion thread for future releases

Default Re: Fans suggestion thread for future releases

If you believe you can recruit too many units - don't recruit too many units.
    Like others stated, Celtic and Iberian armies had no shortage of cavalry.

Quote Originally Posted by Aper View Post
    We are going off topic, I was only suggesting that having 4, 5 and even 6 recruitable cavalry units in some cities is a bit too much imho, 3 would be plentiful I think. I can think of ways to handicap myself if I want, thank you
    As I said, that's a consequence of low cavalry variety in those regions, unlike lots of other places there's only one unit rather than at least two. Even the regional ones are variations on the type, rather than additional. If you're stacking Arevaci colonisation with governments, you may end up with a lot of Riders, depending on your choices.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    As I said, that's a consequence of low cavalry variety in those regions, unlike lots of other places there's only one unit rather than at least two. Even the regional ones are variations on the type, rather than additional. If you're stacking Arevaci colonisation with governments, you may end up with a lot of Riders, depending on your choices.
    Thank you for the explanation Quintus. You understood I was suggesting a small design change, and not asking how to get a challenge (and this would be the wrong thread for that)

Thank you for the explanation Quintus. You understood I was suggesting a small design change, and not asking how to get a challenge (and this would be the wrong thread for that)
    Unless the rosters for the colonies change, there isn't a lot I can do about the low variety. At the least, the mercenary-hiring script should be relieving the Arevaci player of some of their pool of Riders from Sekeiza and Kontrebia fairly frequently.

Unless the rosters for the colonies change, there isn't a lot I can do about the low variety. At the least, the mercenary-hiring script should be relieving the Arevaci player of some of their pool of Riders from Sekeiza and Kontrebia fairly frequently.
    Yes the script and all the other Arevaci features are really awesome! I'm glad it was my first campaign because It made me fall in love with this mod!

Yes the script and all the other Arevaci features are really awesome! I'm glad it was my first campaign because It made me fall in love with this mod!
    Is it triggering frequently enough to have a noticeable impact on how many Riders you can recruit?

One of my few house rules is that I rarely, if ever(unless for expediency with auto-resolve) assault cities. I pretty much exclusively starve them out unless the city is totally defenseless, of course.

There are two reasons for this:

1)I hate M2TW sieges, they're just so messy and unwieldy(especially those ridiculous invisible spaces between buildings that pretty much makes using formations in cities impossible). Therefore, I lose much less troops by fighting their starve-out sallies instead.
    2)It allows the CAI ample time to recruit a rescue force, and in my experience it reliably delivers in that regard, so long as you give them enough time.

Give it a try if you're looking for some big battles from the AI. You might find yourself outnumbered and have to retreat, even. z3n has suggested in the past that the M2TW CAI isn't smart enough to know how to properly respond to well-performed blitzing(like bringing a stack by sea to a coastal/island city, sacking it, and then leaving before they can muster up reinforcements). That problem, as we all know, can technically be treated with some good ol' fashioned stack-spam IMO...But we all know how stack spam is. It can get really really old, fast.

Regarding the OP cavalry discussion:

I would also suggest that the problem is compounded by, IMO, the M2TW engine's love of all things cavalry. It's no secret that infantry performed much more excellently in RTW. In EBII a few bogged down lightish(not paper thin, mind you) cavalry units can actually stay(without recharging) in a melee with Batoroi/Gargokladioi and even win, given they aren't flanked by something else(note: they probably could not do so with spearmen, but this wouldn't happen against EBI swordsmen, since cavalry had little staying power). Source: fought a rebel army with tons of Akus Eporedoi in it; stationed all my swordsmen on my right flank in the corner of the map thinking it would be enough, but no, the many cavalry units overwhelmed the sword using units without needing to recharge(and when I tried to rescue my swordsmen and flank them with my FM+his support cav, he got fukt by their sheer numbers as well). Anyhow, the point is, I've always found cavalry in M2TW to be OP compared to like every other unit type.

I should note that I'm not really complaining about EBII swordsmen--infantry in EB is rather good, it's just that I've found M2TW cavalry to be a bit naturally OP.

That's my two cents, anyways.
    Last edited by Genghis Skahn; October 17, 2018 at 09:53 AM.

Is it triggering frequently enough to have a noticeable impact on how many Riders you can recruit?
    I did not take note of its effects on riders specifically, but I remember it triggered frequently. Maybe a bit too much, it made me quite rich when I didn't need to recruit a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Genghis Skahn View Post
    One of my few house rules is that I rarely, if ever(unless for expediency with auto-resolve) assault cities. I pretty much exclusively starve them out unless the city is totally defenseless, of course.
    I usually wait for the garrison to sally too, because assaults are boring and costly in terms of lives. And I like to bait enemy armies to attack me in the back while I'm sieging so to kill 'em all in one big decisive encounter. I don't care for my casualties if I can cripple the enemy (assuming more than 50% of my men survives )
    I would also suggest that the problem is compounded by, IMO, the M2TW engine's love of all things cavalry.
    Well, I don't remember my Akus Eporedoi being so badass in the melee, they were mostly useful in swarming lonely units and flanking engaged enemies in my experience. They did perform a lot better when they gained some chevrons though.
    Last edited by Aper; October 18, 2018 at 05:34 PM. Reason: answering to genghis, minor corrections

city assaults are also incredibly rare historically, no? in the punic wars I can only recall a night assault at Tarentum maybe, and only one in Sicily during the first war? it would be interesting if individual cities could be more easily bribed by the presence of a stronger local military force. if an impressive enemy stack came into your territory and two of your cities "defected" to that faction because of the presence of that stack allowing them to be bribed easily, that would cause some more fun in tense border-wars

probably impossible to mod that in the game though

Well, I would not say incredibly rare, just not that common.

For example, the more famous ones;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_...2%80%93291_BC)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Saguntum

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_...2%80%93212_BC)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Capua_(211_BC)

etc.

Note, they are likely heavily outnumbered by siege assaults that failed, which were also much less likely to be written about.

Heck, from my memory, I think there were at least several to a dozen city assaults during the Cretan War alone.

It is the same as with castle assaults during the medieval period, the trope that they were very rare goes out the window once you start noticing the short or vague mentions of failed assaults as you read various stuff.

Well, assaults seemed to have had a high probability of failure. If my memory is correct, Thucydides mentions quite a few failed assaults in his writings.

thanks Mamlaz! and now I do recall another - it was Africanus attacking Carthage Nova maybe? that was interesting, and bloody.
    Last edited by hlidskjalf; October 18, 2018 at 06:30 PM.

the siegecraft of Classical Greece (described by Thucydides) is rudimentary and most of the emphasis was placed on encircling the place and starving out the defenders. those methods were qualitatively different from what was to come during Philip II's reign. Philip's full-time soldiers were much more accustomed and willing to assault cities when compared to the citizen militias of city states. plus, Philip maintain an expansive siege train, which only added to the willingness to besiege and assault as opposed to largely passive techniques of Classical Greece where the prevalent equipment was mostly restricted to basic battering rams and assault ladders. due to the improved know-how, during Hellenistic period sieges/city assaults seemed to have been a more regular occurrence than large scale pitched battles. a good read on this is Besieged: Siege Warfare in the Ancient World by D. B. Campbell.

Besieged is a good introduction, with the advantage of offering a global perspective, but i would recommend Philo of Byzantium for a more concrete approach. His Poliorketika adresses the architecture as well as the preparations and the different ways of attack and defence. To read it after Aeneas Tacticus gives a good overview of the evolution of siegecraft.

It was also the advent of torsion siege machinery that hyped up siege assaults.

I'm not sure if EBII already uses it for some nomad factions, but what you think about using the Apach WarPath for the nomad factions?
    BTW: And the technology stealing (reforms in some way) to be used (for example) by Carthage when Hannibal troops started using some roman equipment - Creating a new unit, the Lybian Heavy Hoplite / Carthaginian Veterans / African Veterans (the name is complicated but the unit existed and would be a great final inclusion on Carthage main unit rooster)

Quote Originally Posted by Lusitanio View Post
    I'm not sure if EBII already uses it for some nomad factions, but what you think about using the Apach WarPath for the nomad factions?
    BTW: And the technology stealing (reforms in some way) to be used (for example) by Carthage when Hannibal troops started using some roman equipment - Creating a new unit, the Lybian Heavy Hoplite / Carthaginian Veterans / African Veterans (the name is complicated but the unit existed and would be a great final inclusion on Carthage main unit rooster)
    We already have "late" Carthaginian units triggered by their reform, which includes an armour upgrade for the Liby-Phoenician Infantry and Libyan Skirmishers, and a late version of the Libyan Hoplites and Libyan Swordsmen.

Marvzilla's Avatar Senator

There are two reasons for this:

1)I hate M2TW sieges, they're just so messy and unwieldy(especially those ridiculous invisible spaces between buildings that pretty much makes using formations in cities impossible). Therefore, I lose much less troops by fighting their starve-out sallies instead.
    2)It allows the CAI ample time to recruit a rescue force, and in my experience it reliably delivers in that regard, so long as you give them enough time.

Give it a try if you're looking for some big battles from the AI. You might find yourself outnumbered and have to retreat, even. z3n has suggested in the past that the M2TW CAI isn't smart enough to know how to properly respond to well-performed blitzing(like bringing a stack by sea to a coastal/island city, sacking it, and then leaving before they can muster up reinforcements). That problem, as we all know, can technically be treated with some good ol' fashioned stack-spam IMO...But we all know how stack spam is. It can get really really old, fast.

I would also suggest that the problem is compounded by, IMO, the M2TW engine's love of all things cavalry. It's no secret that infantry performed much more excellently in RTW. In EBII a few bogged down lightish(not paper thin, mind you) cavalry units can actually stay(without recharging) in a melee with Batoroi/Gargokladioi and even win, given they aren't flanked by something else(note: they probably could not do so with spearmen, but this wouldn't happen against EBI swordsmen, since cavalry had little staying power). Source: fought a rebel army with tons of Akus Eporedoi in it; stationed all my swordsmen on my right flank in the corner of the map thinking it would be enough, but no, the many cavalry units overwhelmed the sword using units without needing to recharge(and when I tried to rescue my swordsmen and flank them with my FM+his support cav, he got fukt by their sheer numbers as well). Anyhow, the point is, I've always found cavalry in M2TW to be OP compared to like every other unit type.

I should note that I'm not really complaining about EBII swordsmen--infantry in EB is rather good, it's just that I've found M2TW cavalry to be a bit naturally OP.

That's my two cents, anyways.
    In my experience even heavy Cavalry of the Hellenistic Dynasties and the local variants are pretty flimsy in melee combat/staying power, even against knife armed skirmishers such as Toxotai.

We already have "late" Carthaginian units triggered by their reform, which includes an armour upgrade for the Liby-Phoenician Infantry and Libyan Skirmishers, and a late version of the Libyan Hoplites and Libyan Swordsmen.

Yes, that part is true and I really appreciate the Carthaginian "late" units, however, for the Libyans who fought for Hannibal, according to both Polybius and Livy (Polyb. 3.87.3, 114.1; Liv. 22.46.4) they were armed with the best Roman equipment looted from the battles of the Trebia and Trasimene. What exactly were they armed with, defensive items like shields, helmets and greaves, or did they also receive offensive weapons such as pila or gladii?

Livy mentions an episode where Libyans are mistaken for Roman soldiers at close range, which suggests they wore the panoply of scutums, greaves and helmets and even their tunics to pass themselves off as Roman.
    We could guess that Hannibal troops used the equipment from the Battle of Trasimene until the Battle of Zama (so around 15 years using it) and they would probably keep using it had they had not been defeated.

EBII has nothing like this beauty:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Veteran Spearmen.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	276.8 KB 
ID:	355437

Name:	Hannibal Veterans.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	63.8 KB 
ID:	355436

Quote Originally Posted by Lusitanio View Post

Yes, that part is true and I really appreciate the Carthaginian "late" units, however, for the Libyans who fought for Hannibal, according to both Polybius and Livy (Polyb. 3.87.3, 114.1; Liv. 22.46.4) they were armed with the best Roman equipment looted from the battles of the Trebia and Trasimene. What exactly were they armed with, defensive items like shields, helmets and greaves, or did they also receive offensive weapons such as pila or gladii?

Livy mentions an episode where Libyans are mistaken for Roman soldiers at close range, which suggests they wore the panoply of scutums, greaves and helmets and even their tunics to pass themselves off as Roman.
    We could guess that Hannibal troops used the equipment from the Battle of Trasimene until the Battle of Zama (so around 15 years using it) and they would probably keep using it had they had not been defeated.

EBII has nothing like this beauty:

Name:	Veteran Spearmen.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	276.8 KB 
ID:	355437

Name:	Hannibal Veterans.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	63.8 KB 
ID:	355436

You already have those with the Lybian swordsmen.

This is what EB team has to say about this :

"Several stelae (the ones from El Hofra and Cirta) and a few written sources (Polybius and Livy) depict the use of the gladius hispaniensis, Montefortino helmet and the thureos by the Carthaginian armies, by either Carthaginian citizens or their Libyan subjects. These elements were adopted because of their cheap production and effectiveness, but when exactly this happened is still discussed by historians. The most popular theory is that they weren't adopted before the Second Punic War (218-201 B.C.) and that the use of these elements was a product of Gallic and Roman influences. Polybius uses the term "speirai" (unit similar to the Roman maniple) to describe Hannibal's soldiers who fought at Cannae. Some hypotheses speak of a Hannibalic innovation, in which the classic phalanx was replaced by small and mobile units of men that fought in a way similar to the Roman style of warfare. This is reinforced by the way Hannibal had his troops take up Roman equipment. Although the idea of a Punic army organized in several maniples (a way of fighting in which the combination of thureos and sword is more effective than in a large phalanx) is intriguing, we don't have enough evidence to accept this hypothesis."
    Last edited by NapoleonMaster; October 20, 2018 at 10:00 AM.