Page 55 of 127 FirstFirst ... 53045464748495051525354555657585960616263646580105 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,100 of 2522

Thread: Fans suggestion thread for future releases

Brihentin13's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Fans suggestion thread for future releases

My suggestion is to not listen to the myriad suggestions to make the gameplay harder in different ways. I'm not saying that you should ignore people's opinions, just that I would like disagree with a common bit of input. I see a lot of things like "Jack the unit costs up super high so that it's harder to make big armies! Muh realism!" I really dislike things like that. A game's challenge should come from things like proficient AI opponents, not "artificial sweetener". You guys have done a great job at making a more entertaining AI to fight, so keep that up!

Free Kekistan

Quote Originally Posted by Trax View Post
    But there are buildings that cost more than 30000. Can the AI ever build them?
    The AI gets a large discount on construction costs through the AIGovernor trait. In any case, the AI prefers recruitment over all other things, so it's pretty unlikely they'd ever build something that costs 30k, unless it provides units.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    Hellenistic rosters are done. The absence of faction-specific elites like that is intentional, they're covered by the general ones and it's a much more efficient use of slots. They have different skins, which is all the differentiation they really need. We have plans to use all 500 slots, there would be no real gain in taking up 5-6 slots for what is only a cosmetically different unit.

The absence of a settled government in Pella is intentional, as is the lack of any real units right at the start beyond mercs. Makedonia was devastated by the Celtic invasion of the Balkans. The lack of elites is by design, you only start with some because as king Antigonos was bound to have had loyal followers organised in an elite, but no means to recruit more.

Makedonia having access only to "militia junk" and mercenaries at the start is entirely by design. The interesting gameplay for Makedonia is how you make do with having no decent troops apart from mercs, and survive until such time as you can recruit again.
    Wow, I didn't realise that you guys had thought that through so much (or are just really good at making up justifications. Just kidding!).

Quote Originally Posted by Hippo123 View Post
    Wow, I didn't realise that you guys had thought that through so much (or are just really good at making up justifications. Just kidding!).
    The change in what is available at the start is a relatively recent phenomenon, but it is definitely a design choice.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

This mod is awesome in almost every way, but I think it would be jaw-dropping, stunning, and on a whole new level if you guys created custom settlements for certain cities (based on ancient descriptions and archaeology).

Suggested locations for that: Athenai, Pella, Pergamon, Syrakousai, Alexandreia, Memphis, Roma, Capua, Qart-Hadasht, Atig, Antiocheia, Seleukeia, Massalia, Emporion, and Korinthos.

I suddenly forget what Ptolemaic/Seleucid Jerusalem is called in game, but that one too.

I believe you're refering to Ptolemai-Akko but I think it's not supposed to be Jerusalem, Jerusalem is represented in the province as a unique building (well it's the temple actually but I still think they're not the same cities, someone correct me if I'm wrong though).
    Last edited by MagusCaligula; July 28, 2017 at 09:37 AM.

Akko is Acre, not Hierosolyma/Jersualem

Why you have chosen to have two used slots each for triarii, hastati equites and principes unit? You could save four slots with making each era variation with armor upgrade.

Late era equites are planed? With face masks?
    изишо је тад домаћин тмури
    и сву штенад потрпо у џак.

I think armor upgrade wouldn't work because principes switched to using swords from spears and the triarii of Polybian era were halfsized in comparison to other infantry while cammilian triarii were of equal size.

An armour upgrade wouldn't work for either Hastati (change in weapon) or Triarii (change in shield and formation).

There's no need for a late era Equites - they'd be no different from the Polybian ones, just rarer.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    There's no need for a late era Equites - they'd be no different from the Polybian ones, just rarer.
    To be fair, I doubt we'd see Equites in tunics, or in linothorax that late in the timeline, especially since the Romans armor up significantly with the Marian reforms. So, armor upgrade for the Equites?

What if someone offered to make late equites model/texture sometime in future?
    Last edited by wermez; July 29, 2017 at 05:49 AM.
    изишо је тад домаћин тмури
    и сву штенад потрпо у џак.

Would it be possible to improve the strategic and financial importance of the Silk and Amber Roads?
    My suggestion is that if you own at least three settlements on the Silk or Amber Road (i.e., having the "building" within the settlement) AND have trades rights granted to at least three other settlements on the same route, you get an additional trade bonus. These might need to be contiguous.
    This could be boosted further if you own the source of the Amber, or the designated port of destination for Amber or Silk.
    If it was possible, it would add an objective to those slightly unfashionable factions that don't always have a lot of politicking and warring to keep the player busy. It would also be an addition Causus Belli if the chain is severed AND an incentive to keep the peace. Could it even be a scripted objective?

I would like to see Hypaspists made into bodyguard units for some Macedonian family members. This is my reasoning. Hypaspists were, effectively, squires, the retainers of great men.
    So it would be historical.
    Secondly, they are not as far as I can see recruitable until the player has reached city level and they are not recruitable as mercenaries. That means this important part of the Macedonian army is represented by just the starting unit for pretty much the greater part of the early to mid game, when Macedon was having its final flowering. Surely they should be available to Antigonus, the last truly powerful Macedonian king?
    Thirdly, I never recruit Companion Cavalry. This is because most family members come with a contingent of Companion Cavalry, with the result I have far too much of it. Giving Hypaspists as bodyguard units in some circumstances, and I'm not calling shedloads of them, would allow them to repair to unit strength instead of leaving the player stuck with a battle-damaged half-sized unit or less which can't take its place in the line.
    I have never completely understood, given the pressure on unit slots, why units like Equites and Companion Cavalry and Hypaspists are recruitable anyway. They are retainers. If they can't be given to FM's then why not to Generals?
    Last edited by parthian8; August 17, 2017 at 03:59 AM.

The way M2TW works is that whenever a new FM comes of age or is adopted, it always selects the first unit in the EDU belonging to that faction that has the general_unit ability. Therefore only one general unit can be used. There might be a way to circumvent this by scripting but it's unlikely.
    Last edited by BHL 20; August 17, 2017 at 08:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BHL 20 View Post
    The way M2TW works is that whenever a new FM comes of age or is adopted, it always selects the first unit in the EDU belonging to that faction that has the general_unit ability. Therefore only one general unit can be used. There might be a way to circumvent this by scripting but it's unlikely.
    I was thinking more perhaps that one of the starting generals in the Macedon campaign could have a Hypaspist bodyguard, rather than the lancers. At the time the game starts the Golden Age of the Hypaspist was over (and Antigonus was skint). It wasn't like they were waiting for them to come online, as is the situation in the game. Their place one the flanks was being taken by the Macedonian Peltasts by the time of Antigonus III. But there would be nothing wrong with one of the generals present at the start of the game having them for their lifetime, one which automatically replenishes. Because what happens at the moment is you quickly end up with one busted unit that can't be brought up to strength in any circumstances.

Just a suggestion by the time of 2.3 maybe have another screenshot competition, and do some overhaul on the europa barbarorum 2 page on moddb?

its about time you guys get to the top 100 in the moddb moty awards at least!! (doing some marketing when moty start would help too)
    Then, as throngs of his enemies bore down upon him and one of his followers said, "They are making at thee, O King," "Who else, pray," said Antigonus, "should be their mark? But Demetrius will come to my aid." This was his hope to the last, and to the last he kept watching eagerly for his son; then a whole cloud of javelins were let fly at him and he fell.

-Plutarch, life of Demetrius.

Arche Aiakidae-Epeiros EB2 AAR

Both a question and a suggestion: will the experience of role-playing great generals improve in 2.3? Meaning to say that if one has this one general that wins 30 heroic victories (not a battle less, all of them have at least half a stack fighting on each side), and regardless of base stats given to said general once he comes of age, and regardless of age once those victories are won, will this general be able to achieve 6 or above command stars with accompanying permanent bonuses to morale (or whatever you call it, the stats that used to be chivalry/dread in vanilla)? Will the team's answer be the usual: "command stars really don't matter in this game"or "generals in their young adulthood can't be shown to have high stats"? Because if one finds out that even after winning 30 heroic victories (I stress - legit heroic victories with large numbers on both or on enemies' side) with this one general but that general will be stuck with 4 command stars and like 4 or so morale (whatever you call those crosses beneath the stars), one will be severely disheartened. Even if said general's base traits may be lackluster, result show as they say, and what shows greater ability than actual WON heroic battles? Finally, yes maybe as per the inherent flaws in MTW2's system, the command stars "REALLY" don't matter, but even their supposedly ineffectual presence if displayed in great numbers blazing under a favorite general's name will be very beneficial to the PLAYER'S gaming experience. Those stars are less for actually affecting the results of real-time battles or of auto-calc battles and more for generating the experience for the player of raising (stress here as Pyrrhus already starts out as prodigious) a general of the likes of Sulla, Hannibal, or Alexander for his/her chosen faction. Please don't tell me the devs of EB2 aren't operating under a George R.R. Martin-esque mindset that there are no truly great or exceptional people in history and they're all the same but different in "edge-iness" because I believe there are (e.g. Cao Cao, Constantine, Cyrus) and I would like to recreate those leading men in the generals of a favorite faction, even if their greatness is expressed in something as shallow as the number of command stars.

Quote Originally Posted by Pooploop View Post
    Both a question and a suggestion: will the experience of role-playing great generals improve in 2.3? Meaning to say that if one has this one general that wins 30 heroic victories (not a battle less, all of them have at least half a stack fighting on each side), and regardless of base stats given to said general once he comes of age, and regardless of age once those victories are won, will this general be able to achieve 6 or above command stars with accompanying permanent bonuses to morale (or whatever you call it, the stats that used to be chivalry/dread in vanilla)? Will the team's answer be the usual: "command stars really don't matter in this game"or "generals in their young adulthood can't be shown to have high stats"? Because if one finds out that even after winning 30 heroic victories (I stress - legit heroic victories with large numbers on both or on enemies' side) with this one general but that general will be stuck with 4 command stars and like 4 or so morale (whatever you call those crosses beneath the stars), one will be severely disheartened. Even if said general's base traits may be lackluster, result show as they say, and what shows greater ability than actual WON heroic battles? Finally, yes maybe as per the inherent flaws in MTW2's system, the command stars "REALLY" don't matter, but even their supposedly ineffectual presence if displayed in great numbers blazing under a favorite general's name will be very beneficial to the PLAYER'S gaming experience. Those stars are less for actually affecting the results of real-time battles or of auto-calc battles and more for generating the experience for the player of raising (stress here as Pyrrhus already starts out as prodigious) a general of the likes of Sulla, Hannibal, or Alexander for his/her chosen faction. Please don't tell me the devs of EB2 aren't operating under a George R.R. Martin-esque mindset that there are no truly great or exceptional people in history and they're all the same but different in "edge-iness" because I believe there are (e.g. Cao Cao, Constantine, Cyrus) and I would like to recreate those leading men in the generals of a favorite faction, even if their greatness is expressed in something as shallow as the number of command stars.
    Sorry, but that's not even remotely on our list of priorities for 2.3. We haven't even finished updating the traits to remove the anti Traits and their impacts.

Getting lots of command stars is a question of triggering the right traits and certain ancillaries.

If you think about it, the great generals of history didn't "gain that trait" after x number of amazing battles. The incredible victories happened because they already had the sum of abilities which made them into great generals. The battles were simply demonstrations of their greatness.

In M2TW terms, that means you'd need some sort of rare trait that falls almost randomly from the sky, giving a particular individual a large number of command stars. Which he would then use as he led his troops in combat. But those stars have no impact on tactics - that's the hallmark of the truly GREAT generals, the thing which sets them apart from all others. In that sense, command stars are a nice visual, but in no way an indication of true tactical genius.

After all, in this game, the general responsible for those tactics is YOU!
    EBII Council