Page 31 of 127 FirstFirst ... 62122232425262728293031323334353637383940415681 ... LastLast

Thread: Fans suggestion thread for future releases

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Default Re: Fans suggestion thread for future releases

You guys should consider changing up some of the colors for factions on the campaign map. Some factions look way too similar in terms of the hues allotted to their respective territories. For intance, Kart-Hadast and the Boii are indistinguishable as they are both snow white. Although they are dark brown, the Lusitani are almost as dark and black-looking as Makedonia. Baktria and Pergamon are almost the exact same shade of blue, along with the Lugii and the Numidians. The Arevaci and Sabaeans are nearly the same hue of brown. Roughly half the factions are highly distinguishable in terms of color and shade no matter who they end up bordering, such as the Romani, Hayasdan, Parthia, Koinon Hellenon, and the Ptolemaioi. However, if the Romani ever butt heads with Saka Rauka then their borders will be slightly hard to tell apart (same with Saka Rauka and Kimmeros Bosporos). The various factions with different shades of green, the Arverni, Aedui, and Taksashila, seem to be pretty distinguishable, though.

Also, I know it's not historically accurate, but if a Hellenistic faction such as Makedonia, Epeiros, Koinon Hellenon, Ptolemaioi, or Kimmeros Bosporos are able to capture Levantine settlements like Antiocheia or Damaskos and incorporate them into their empires, then shouldn't they eventually be able to recruit the Hellenistic cataphract like the Seleukids? After the year 200 BC or so the likelihood that the Seleukids or even Baktria have not already been conquered destroyed become very slim. It's a shame, because the Hellenistic cataphract can only be recruited by those two factions, and they are easily the most powerful and astounding-looking cavalry unit that any Hellenistic faction can place on the field of battle. Since EB II is all about changing history, if one of the other Hellenistic factions was able to conquer the Near East and territories traditionally held by Seleukeia, why would they not eventually recruit cataphracts as well? Especially when they will most likely have to contend with either Armenia, Parthia, or both. Even the Romans eventually got around to fielding their own cataphracts in the region during the Principate and Dominate periods.

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    Also, I know it's not historically accurate, but if a Hellenistic faction such as Makedonia, Epeiros, Koinon Hellenon, Ptolemaioi, or Kimmeros Bosporos are able to capture Levantine settlements like Antiocheia or Damaskos and incorporate them into their empires, then shouldn't they eventually be able to recruit the Hellenistic cataphract like the Seleukids? After the year 200 BC or so the likelihood that the Seleukids or even Baktria have not already been conquered destroyed become very slim. It's a shame, because the Hellenistic cataphract can only be recruited by those two factions, and they are easily the most powerful and astounding-looking cavalry unit that any Hellenistic faction can place on the field of battle. Since EB II is all about changing history, if one of the other Hellenistic factions was able to conquer the Near East and territories traditionally held by Seleukeia, why would they not eventually recruit cataphracts as well? Especially when they will most likely have to contend with either Armenia, Parthia, or both. Even the Romans eventually got around to fielding their own cataphracts in the region during the Principate and Dominate periods.
    They can, you just need a helcol_three or eastcol_three in the right places.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    They can, you just need a helcol_three or eastcol_three in the right places.
    Really? That's news to me! Thanks for revealing that. I didn't know they could recruit them at all.

If factions like Pontus or Hayasdan are able to re-establish the Persian Empire. Are they able to recruit their factional units in those cities like the Armenian Cataphracts, Pontic Thorakitai and Armenian Medium Infantry?

It it possible to use the Kalmar Union script to change a faction's banner after it does something?
    For example, recreating the Roman, Macedonian or Persian Empire. Or perhaps if a Celtic tribe conquers all of Gaul and the other tribe there.

It would be a nice detail.

Cohors_Evocata's Avatar Centenarius

Quote Originally Posted by romanius24 View Post
    It it possible to use the Kalmar Union script to change a faction's banner after it does something?
    For example, recreating the Roman, Macedonian or Persian Empire. Or perhaps if a Celtic tribe conquers all of Gaul and the other tribe there.

The Kalmar union script requires a spare faction slot, since a faction can have no more than one banner. What the script essentially does (IIRC) is "convert" all of your characters and settlements to a new faction and then more or less defeat the previous faction, whilst switching what faction the player is controlling somewhere in the process. Since EB II is already very tight on faction slots, I'd consider the odds of this happening to be extremely few.
    I tend to edit my posts once or several times after writing and uploading them. Please keep this in mind when reading a recent post of mine. Also, should someone, for some unimaginable reason, wish to rep me, please add your username in the process, so I can at least know whom to be grateful towards.

My thanks in advance.

A suggestion for equipment standards.

If possible, all mailed troops should always have helmets. This is usually the case, but a few units are exceptions - Bastarnae horsemen, British and German nobles...
    I dont know if one can tie certain body variations to certain head variations. For example, a mail body variation always gets a helmeted head variation. I hope it can, because I realise that there are nobles, and there are nobles. Some couldnt afford a helmet, let alone mail.

Reasons: 1. Mail is more expensive and time consuming to make than a helmet. If one can afford to buy or has managed to loot a shirt of maille, he is able to obtain a helmet the same way.
    2. The head is more vulnerable than the torso. Not only are head wounds usually more fatal, but the torso also has the advantage of being covered with a shield. To be able to look, one has to expose his eyes and skull from the safety of the shield. A helmet would go a long way in protecting the fighter.

This suggestion was inspired by the latest Warcraft trailer, where we once again see idiots in plate harness without helmets
    Last edited by Rad; March 24, 2016 at 09:19 AM.

Boogie Knight's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by romanius24 View Post

As Cohors_Evocata said, it requires a new faction slot to use the Kalmar Union script; not only that, but each possible new entity requires its own slot. So you'd need one for Roman Empire, one for Macedonian empire, etc. The 1648: Thirty Years of War mod got around this by having every convertible faction change to the same thing: the Holy Roman Empire. The convertible factions were all part of the historic Holy Roman Empire, and the requirement for change was that each grow so big and eliminate its rivals so that it could become the new Empire. So each of the conversions into empires you suggested would require its own faction slot, meaning EBII already has too many for this to be possible.

I noticed a problem with the colony point system... after a certain point in the game the player has enough points that the system becomes trivial, and the player can colonize as much as they want. This is especially relevant in Greece and other such places where there are a large amount of polises and megapolises.

One possible solution would be to create a cap for colony point income, although I have no idea of a reasonable number.

Quote Originally Posted by perrypus View Post
    I noticed a problem with the colony point system... after a certain point in the game the player has enough points that the system becomes trivial, and the player can colonize as much as they want. This is especially relevant in Greece and other such places where there are a large amount of polises and megapolises.

One possible solution would be to create a cap for colony point income, although I have no idea of a reasonable number.
    What year are you in, and how much territory do you control?

Hi please put the imperial roman units!!!

Quote Originally Posted by maxref View Post
    Hi please put the imperial roman units!!!
    Not likely; they're 8 valuable unit slots which could be much better used for things that 90% of games might actually see. The lead historian has already said he's not sure there's any need for an Augustan reform, and if there were one, we don't need new units. There's almost nothing that meaningfully distinguishes them from the Marian units we already have.

But my Shitmentata armor...

RV made a nice submod for people that want the late romans. It seems to be working fine.

Can the EB2 team please place a link to download the zipped EB2.2 folder, without the installer when you release it?

If you were to take the time to do it for 2.1/2.1b it would also be greatly appreciated.

The mod works fine on macs, but the installer doesn't!

Foederatus

Will you add a granit quarry in Histria city (province 078)? The romans used to quarry granit in the Măcin Mountains (in Romanian).

Can you rework the battle mechanics you have consisntetly spam attack mouse to make all the units in the unit attack or right click and drag for them all to move in and engage! its annyoing

Try to use guard mode and your units will fight in a proper line.

Thanks

Please consider increasing the marching speeds for all armies. I frown a bit each time I'm recruiting a new stack when the previous winter's recruits haven't shed blood yet. I'm not particularly well-versed in ancient army movements, but currently it does seem a bit slow to me. It's a fairly small issue to deal with, but it does bug me (even if it is much less severe than vanilla).

I'd be fine with seeing a substantial increase in the severity of seasonal movement penalties as a trade-off (allowing the seasons to more dramatically affect your war plans).

Also, could a script be engineered to remove the "Vanquisher of [faction]" trait from Roman generals if that faction no longer exists? I currently have several "Vanquisher of Carthaginians" generals even though I eliminated them several years ago (thus removing the potential to give these generals a triumphus and making the trait obsolete).

Quote Originally Posted by BelzebuMaio View Post
    Long time lurker and fan of EB here.

Anatolia and, especially, the Iranian Plateau don't seem to be accurately represented in EBII's campaign map, as per this topographical map here:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...an-Plateau.gif

I could also give as example the map of EB I or even the map of Rome II, where it seems they did a pretty nice job. If you look to the referred areas there it feels totally different from EBII, where they look very flat - like a big plain actually -, and closer to the topographical map above.

I understand that for gameplay purposes the Team cannot buid a milimetrically accurate map, but sure it could be improved, for the sake of historical accuracy? Please don't put all your attention on new units, there are other areas of the game, such as this one, which need your attention. Afterall, isn't EB all about historical accuracy? What about geographical/topographical accuracy?

Long live EB Team! Thanks for your hardwork so far, the mod is amazing.

Hi!

Have there been any developments concerning the post above?

Keep up the excellent work!