Page 27 of 127 FirstFirst ... 21718192021222324252627282930313233343536375277 ... LastLast

Thread: Fans suggestion thread for future releases

Default Re: Fans suggestion thread for future releases

Quote Originally Posted by Rad View Post
    Also, germanic early levies use a javelin as their melee weapon. I doubt it was intentional.
    It was intentional. They're men of meagre means bringing their hunting implements to war. There are quite a few units which have a retained javelin as a weapon for this very reason.

Noted. That, however, means that the late levy units should have a higher melee attack, as they do have proper spears. For now, it stands equal.

Quote Originally Posted by Rad View Post
    Noted. That, however, means that the late levy units should have a higher melee attack, as they do have proper spears. For now, it stands equal.
    It would be the other way around, they've already got much higher stats than any other levy spearman. So the early should drop, if we change anything.

The attack animation can make a difference even if attack value is equal.
    Overhand spearmen are always better.

Quote Originally Posted by romanius24 View Post
    The attack animation can make a difference even if attack value is equal.
    Overhand spearmen are always better.
    Which is another reason why levies shouldn't be overhand spearmen, unless there's a specific reason (like levy hoplites still essentially being hoplites and trained in that fashion). Someone who picks up a spear on the day of battle, but is usually using an axe or hoe or rake or spade or pruning hook will use an underhand grip. It's far more natural from tool use. And easier to shoulder the weapon on the move.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Is there any chance that the EB II team would consider adding Sardinian Nuraghic infantry? If I remember correctly, they were a useful spearman/archer unit in the original EB for RTW. Are they historically accurate enough to include in EB II, though? In either case, it would be another nifty Western Mediterranean missile unit alongside the Balearic slingers.

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    Is there any chance that the EB II team would consider adding Sardinian Nuraghic infantry? If I remember correctly, they were a useful spearman/archer unit in the original EB for RTW. Are they historically accurate enough to include in EB II, though? In either case, it would be another nifty Western Mediterranean missile unit alongside the Balearic slingers.
    Yes, they're still on the Unit List and intended. They're the only native unit for Sardinia.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    Yes, they're still on the Unit List and intended. They're the only native unit for Sardinia.
    What's this you say? The only one? So no Nuraghic flaming pigs of Sardinia? No screeching women of Sardinia or packs of war hounds? No head-hurlers?

Oh well, I'll just have to live with one type of Sardinian unit then, I guess.

What about sardine throwing Sardinians?

Yerevan's Avatar Campidoctor

Just two details, that should be very easy to change : to improve a bit the installation guide. This mod is awesome and easy to install for TW veterans but I'm sure a lot of newbies will be discouraged by one or two fails during the install. Even I had to run two installations in a row in order to succeed (and yet I was able to run Jirisy's EB submod with the Alex.exe! man doesn't give up easily who went hrough the hardship of EB submod's unstall).

I see two points for exemple which can create small issues : first the installation for steam users. THey should know that they can from the beginning install M2TW outside of programfiles. Steam now gives you this option. For people who install M2TW just to play its mods (I'm sure there are manny), this vcan help.

Second point which might seem minor but for me it changed things a great deal : to fully appreciate EB2's graphisms you have to run the Highest setting but very few know that theere is a bug that put your settings back to "higher" everytime you start the game. This change a lot since it considerably reduce the sprite draw distance ! In order to change that you just need to change the ini file manuelly and change the properties to read only.
    " Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room! "

M2TW is much worse than RTW when it comes to two melee weapons. That's why all the "elite hoplites" have had their swords removed. They never used their spears otherwise.

Are there any plans to implement the mini missions from vanilla? Stuff like blockade a port, increase garrison and all that or just custom missions for the mod?

Apologies if this has already been covered, but...

Would it be possible to have the option to enslave enemy forces after a battle, instead of ransoming? Ransom almost always results in execution anyway, and it seems like it would be true to history. If adding prisoners to one's population doesn't work, perhaps a cash value representing slaves being sold on the market, instead? I don't like how, after a battle, I can either completely massacre a defeated foe or let them retreat with a very large portion of their forces intact.

It would also be nifty to have a similar enslavement option after winning a siege, but I saw some people suggest that Occupy/Sack/Exterminate is hardcoded into M2TW.

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    took an arrow to the knee

We're discussing some options in regards to armies, not sure whether any of it will apply to settlements.
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

If ladders and siege towers will be increased in the future, i think 2 additional changes will have to happen: nerf towers and make soldiers climb one at a time.
    I have been playing some sieges and i am noticing that most kills are from the machine gun towers rather than troops. It got even worse now that the hotfix AI defends their walls longer and battles dont just move to the center.

Soldiers climbing all at the same time and just gliding to the top is OK when you have just 1-2 climb points but if ladders/towers will be much more common then climbing should be at normal speed. Nerfed towers would also help make slower climb fair.

Would it be okay to give all the classical hoplites and their foreign counterparts (Sacred Band, Liby-Phoenician Infantry, Akkadian Elite Infantry) the spear attribute for their primary? It would give them more pushing power and accurately depict how hoplites battle before the advent of the Macedonia phalanx.

I was wondering about something similar too. Since speed seems to be based on a system, how about unit mass? Is that also customized for every unit?

Does it affect units pushing others with weaker mass? It would make sense to use that for certain units that should push more than others.

Quote Originally Posted by Tactics Mayers View Post
    Would it be okay to give all the classical hoplites and their foreign counterparts (Sacred Band, Liby-Phoenician Infantry, Akkadian Elite Infantry) the spear attribute for their primary? It would give them more pushing power and accurately depict how hoplites battle before the advent of the Macedonia phalanx.
    No, because it messes up their cohesion. We found this out the hard way, when back with 2.01 all spearmen had the spear attribute and they'd rapidly devolve into a formless mob. The only units that still have spear are phalanxes, which we've just removed it from, and the result is again they retain proper cohesion over the course of a melee.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    No, because it messes up their cohesion. We found this out the hard way, when back with 2.01 all spearmen had the spear attribute and they'd rapidly devolve into a formless mob. The only units that still have spear are phalanxes, which we've just removed it from, and the result is again they retain proper cohesion over the course of a melee.
    I see. The Hoplites in-game can already push through any infantry that has a lower mass but it doesn't completely depict how Classical Hoplites used the shieldwall to push their way through infantry.

Quote Originally Posted by Tactics Mayers View Post
    I see. The Hoplites in-game can already push through any infantry that has a lower mass but it doesn't completely depict how Classical Hoplites used the shieldwall to push their way through infantry.
    There was probably a certain degree of pushing in any melee with close-packed men, but the "pushing match" of Hoplite warfare is still highly contentious.
    FREE THE NIPPLE!!!