Page 26 of 127 FirstFirst ... 1617181920212223242526272829303132333435365176126 ... LastLast

Thread: Fans suggestion thread for future releases

Apani's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Fans suggestion thread for future releases

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    The Romans aren't a monarchical power doling out governorships to personal friends of the king.
    I was talking about one city in the province having the status of capital (such as Syrakousai in Sicilia and Mediolanum in Cisalpina) while the other cities are below it.

Its an interesting idea. I believe Rome 2 tried to do something where they had a 'main city' and smaller ones in the province.
    That way you wont be able to turn every village into a massive city.

My guild suggestion is a bit similar to this too. Makes the cities more unique.

Apani's Avatar Senator

Well I actually meant something simpler analogous to Satrapies and Hyparchies (satrapal districts).

Apani's Avatar Senator

Playing as Rome I find it a hassle moving characters back and forth to be elected in Rome. Can't you just remove the requisite to bring them to Rome, pretending instead that they travel to Rome for election then back to their position in the map inbetween turns? Or would that be too fast for ancient world travel times?

They said they will not be changing the election system.
    Its probably for the best but i think at least they should give electable characters some extra movement.

Could you please place Drina river on map in the future releases?

Yerevan's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Apani View Post
    Playing as Rome I find it a hassle moving characters back and forth to be elected in Rome. Can't you just remove the requisite to bring them to Rome, pretending instead that they travel to Rome for election then back to their position in the map inbetween turns? Or would that be too fast for ancient world travel times?
    Why not instead of moving them, making them impossible to move during the turn that correspond to the election. That would represent the hassle of the roman political system without being a hassle for the player

Besides it would create interesting situation : for exemple if your general is commanding an army during the election turn, then, he is blocked and so is the army. Have you played Alea Jacta Est or any AGEOD's wargame ? THere's a system that makes general active/inactive and it's grear to represent things like logistic troubles, chain command inertia, weather, etc...
    " Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room! "

Apani's Avatar Senator

Its a cool idea, but I don't think everybody would be as negligent as to quit mid-campaign to be elected. Maybe to represent the hassle of travelling back to Rome, you could just require for them to end their turn on a ship in the Mediterranean, leaving armies and settlements unattended for the end of a turn.

More random suggestions: (i am bored, sorry )
    Medieval 2 has some cool features that i think should be used if possible.

Are there still any plans to use the Warpath/Jihad mechanic?
    I believe the team had some ideas a long time ago, have they been abandoned?
    It could work for the period as powerful large invasions(Cimbri) or long military campaigns(good ol' Hannibal) which dont happen with current AI.

The late game challange. I talked about this before and based on experience with other mods, i think it will be needed.
    Lets face it, every TW game has an easy late game and you always snowball the whole map.

The two most obvious ways to address this are:

a. Economy: Make the income of a large empire weaken in various ways. Through scripts, missions or traits.
    b. Politics,Rebellions and Civil Wars:
    -Make governors and Generals more and more important as your empire grows and have them affect unit costs, morale and loyalty much more than in the beginning. Emperors with 'scary' traits would also be interesting.
    -Civil Wars and Rebellions can make you 'revisit' areas of your empire that have long been conquered. Your insane number of stacks will now be needed all over the empire to keep those rebellions in check.
    Here's DotS idea for this:
    • Civil War A dynamic new system of rebellions that combines scripting and traits. Civil wars are not like your normal appearance of rebels, in Dominion- these large scale rebellions represent the actual historical problems a medieval king faced- the enemy within! If your Faction leader is lacking in proper authority and one of your nobles has greater authroity and low enough loyalt he will slowly begin to conspire against you. Worse than that- he will start to influence your other nobles to join his cause- BEFORE the rebellion finally breaks out! You will have to keep an eye on your own generals and control the politics of your own faction and its nobles, balancing power as best you can. A general's rise in titles or command can easily upset that balance and lead to toppling your faction leader and breaking your kingdom apart.

Quote Originally Posted by Apani View Post
    The easiest faction in the game is not going to be made easier still by removing a genuinely historical constraint on their behaviour. Quite simply, no.

Deal with the micro-management, or accept they won't have imperium, or try playing another faction.

1. No idea

2. Economy has been reworked quite a lot with the new release. The larger the empire, more income penalties. Trade has also been reduced. Most buildings now also have a negative impact to your economy to balance for the costs of operating them. It's not optimal yet, but we are definetly making progress.

I love the idea of the civil war, but i have no idea how it works. Could you elaborate?

The way a Civil War mechanic would work is based on traits and loyalty but i will require scripting too.
    Civil wars should only happen to large empires, based on the number of regions.

If you want to keep it simple so that it works with all factions then it would be a battle between Loyalists(of the King/FL) and Rebels.
    When civil war is possible, all characters will get a trait making them side with the King or the rebels. The generals that have low loyalty will likely rebel and if they are governors, they should also take the region.
    The civil war is based on the Authority of a FL which means that it can trigger multiple times and especially when you get a new Leader that people might not like.

Those rebel cities should spawn stronger armies than the usual weird garrisons you see now.
    I dont think those Civil Wars should be on a large scale though, you dont have to lose half of your empire to have a challenge. Even 5-10 regions could be enough and if those rebel generals also attack your cities(which they currently do) then thats dangerous enough.

I am not a modder and my knowledge of this stuff is limited but you can look at other mods that are trying this and they might help.

DVK901 used a CW feature in Roma Surrectum 2 and he is expanding it to all factions in the next release.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...=#post14755345

Dominion of the Sword is also trying to use something like this and i remember reading a post on the subject from one of their team members here somewhere.

Can the warcry mechanic be used by almost all the barbarian units? It would nicely depict the devastating charge of the barbarian infantry and give them some advantage over armored units.

demagogos nicator's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by romanius24 View Post
    The way a Civil War mechanic would work is based on traits and loyalty but i will require scripting too.
    Civil wars should only happen to large empires, based on the number of regions.

If you want to keep it simple so that it works with all factions then it would be a battle between Loyalists(of the King/FL) and Rebels.
    When civil war is possible, all characters will get a trait making them side with the King or the rebels. The generals that have low loyalty will likely rebel and if they are governors, they should also take the region.
    The civil war is based on the Authority of a FL which means that it can trigger multiple times and especially when you get a new Leader that people might not like.

Those rebel cities should spawn stronger armies than the usual weird garrisons you see now.
    I dont think those Civil Wars should be on a large scale though, you dont have to lose half of your empire to have a challenge. Even 5-10 regions could be enough and if those rebel generals also attack your cities(which they currently do) then thats dangerous enough.

I am not a modder and my knowledge of this stuff is limited but you can look at other mods that are trying this and they might help.

DVK901 used a CW feature in Roma Surrectum 2 and he is expanding it to all factions in the next release.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...=#post14755345

Dominion of the Sword is also trying to use something like this and i remember reading a post on the subject from one of their team members here somewhere.
    war should apply also to the smaller factions nit only to the factions which exceed some region treshold, that would make them too predictable. Ardan from Fourth Age Total War mod is also vorking on civil war mechanics which are supposed to be implemented in next patch to said mod.
    IMO, Civil

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

A small little thing that should probably be corrected: the unit cards shown at the bottom of the campaign map UI aren't centered correctly. This means that about a fourth of each unit card all the way to the right of a half or full stack is hidden. It's not a big deal or anything, but it would look a bit more tidy and professional if it was centered correctly.

I noticed that too and in battles general portraits dont occupy the whole unit card.

Please correct the Illyrian units description. As far as I am aware, they inhabited the entire eastern coast of the Adriatic sea (or near enough) and a good deal of the inland Balkans.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Quote Originally Posted by romanius24 View Post
    I noticed that too and in battles general portraits dont occupy the whole unit card.
    To be honest I've only noticed this sort of thing on the campaign map, not the battle map, but you're probably right about that too.

Quote Originally Posted by Rad View Post
    Please correct the Illyrian units description. As far as I am aware, they inhabited the entire eastern coast of the Adriatic sea (or near enough) and a good deal of the inland Balkans.
    That's a good point.

Then again there's a whole lot of provinces that are missing textual information entirely, while others have a gargantuan amount of paragraphs with heavy duty research behind them. For instance, the province with Massalia has an entry the size of an academic journal article.

It is a simple change. I found the file, I could change the descriptions myself. However, 99.9% of the players would still be out of the loop
    That is why I am asking the team.

Also, germanic early levies use a javelin as their melee weapon. I doubt it was intentional.

I don't know about the germanic levies, but some levies did use the javelin as it was easier to come by than a spear, so i would assume it's not a mistake