Page 23 of 127 FirstFirst ... 1314151617181920212223242526272829303132334873123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fans suggestion thread for future releases

Tiro

Default Re: Fans suggestion thread for future releases

Hello,

Forgive me if this has been mentioned but id like:
    - To see culture bonus in every building that has it every season. Not one season every 4. As a "note" if needed, something like " This building gives 1% culture change once every 4 seasons or gives 1% culture change in winter, or in summer, whenever" or something like that. Above all in the building brownser buildings info screen. Mainly to take decisions when you planning what kind of goverment/units/city you want for a certain city.
    - A warning message in goverment buildings that are only mean to be built "x" times. Something like " WARNING be aware you can only built "x" times this building if requeriments are met" ( for instance for top makedonian factional goverment, only one, or for koinon league founder member, only two).
    - A warning message in buildings when removing them from building queue makes them dissapear from avaliable. Same examples than above.

Regards:

Melvidh

First I have to congratulate QS & gang for making this beautiful game (I will not say "mod", because mods are in most cases just "ruminantions" of original game. EB2 takes the MTW2 and makes it better from the core ). Few years I go, when I played first EB1 campaign, I realized that vanilla RTW will be unplayable and childish to me, even though I went bankrupt after two turns playing as Baktria. If only those irrumators from EA decide to release patch that would remove engine limitations...

I have few suggestions that you might take into consideration:

1) Make a trait that will give roman consuls three times more movement points, but only when they are alone in the army stack. That would enable quick replacments of consuls in the distant provinces.

2) Does MTW engine allows non-general and general units giving bonuses to fleets? Imagine phoenician, pirate or rhodian unique lightly armored "sailor" units that will give bonus to fleets in battles. You could recruit an admiral general unit in lets say, Athens or Carthage, similar to allied rulers, that could really be of use in naval engagements.

3) What do you think of giving Illyrians (if they are to be released as separate faction in future) unique fleets, like cheap and weak lembus and more capable liburna?

4) In most TW games, I found awkward that single unit of triremes is capable of transporting full-stack army. In my opinion, one unit of triremes (~60 ships) could transport 5 unit army, 2 could transport 10, and 4 triremes could transport full stack army. What do you think of that, eh?

Wouldn't keeping the original gods/temples delay culture change? I knock infrastructure down for the most part so the governor gets the building credit.

I really feel slingers are overpowered compared to archers at the moment, at least from my perspective playing 100 turns as Makedonia. A unit of sphendonetai (the casual hellenistic slingers) usually gets about 50% more kills than a unit of toxotai Kretikoi, even though the former has 120 men, and the latter—160. I no longer use the normal toxotai as they are useless in comparison, a less numerous unit of slingers frequently kills 150-200 men in an average battle. Even Scythian foot archers can't beat that from what I've experienced.

Biarchus

I've noticed the same with slingers and archers. Slingers regularly outperform even the best Cretan archers.

Quote Originally Posted by wojtekimbier View Post
    I really feel slingers are overpowered compared to archers at the moment, at least from my perspective playing 100 turns as Makedonia. A unit of sphendonetai (the casual hellenistic slingers) usually gets about 50% more kills than a unit of toxotai Kretikoi, even though the former has 120 men, and the latter—160. I no longer use the normal toxotai as they are useless in comparison, a less numerous unit of slingers frequently kills 150-200 men in an average battle. Even Scythian foot archers can't beat that from what I've experienced.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hummer View Post
    I've noticed the same with slingers and archers. Slingers regularly outperform even the best Cretan archers.
    Which slingers? If you're talking about Sphendonetai, then yes, they're better than western archers. That's intended, there's a reason many western Mediterranean armies preferred them to archers. Try all the other slingers, bar Balearics, and see how you fare. Also note eastern archers are almost universally better than Kretans, who are merely the best in the west.

Note the major drawback of slingers too - their arc of fire means friendly fire if you're behind your own units. That necessitates placing them on a flank, where they're much more vulnerable to enemy cavalry.

Biarchus

Hellenic slingers are basically the only ones I use, although the eastern slingers in my Pontic campaign were also good. Were the Cretan archers nerfed? I remember them as a much more powerful unit before the 2.1 release.

Quote Originally Posted by Hummer View Post
    Hellenic slingers are basically the only ones I use, although the eastern slingers in my Pontic campaign were also good. Were the Cretan archers nerfed? I remember them as a much more powerful unit before the 2.1 release.
    Eastern slingers are nowhere near as good at their primary function; lower range and less-lethal projectile. There are only two "military-grade" slingers in the game: Hellenic and Balearic. All the rest are less powerful, meaning they're still better than western archers, who are the weakest archers of all.

Kretans weren't nerfed, but missiles have been reviewed in 2.2 and most eastern archers are slightly better and steppe archers better still. It's to do with the presence or absence of both laths in the construction of their bows.

I believe mercs for the AI upon events can cheaply help the AI cope with invasions and reduce standing armies and make for thrilling field battles. Gigantus graciously wrote a tutorial.

It is a game changer.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-can-hire-them
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?707820

If the AI treasury can provide cashflow versus perpetual bankruptcy, this method allows a rapid defensive force to repel invasions that the player cannot use, and so provide a surprise. It's ideal for difficulty levels. The AI becomes a powerful threat.

A scary Carthaginian invasion of Rome now inexpensively possible. Proper protection for Sicily and Corsica.

Alesia becomes economically possible.
    Last edited by RubiconDecision; January 26, 2016 at 05:41 AM.

RubiconDecision - you seem to be operating under a mistaken assumption that one of the goals of EBII is simply to be difficult - it is not. The aim is to be as realistic as we are able to make it, the only reason the AI gets financial assistance is because it's so poor at managing money, and that bankrupt AI = inactivity. Something we will never return to is the tedious stack-spam of EB1, where you could fight 3-4 full stack battles each and every turn into perpetuity, because the AI had so much money.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    RubiconDecision - you seem to be operating under a mistaken assumption that one of the goals of EBII is simply to be difficult - it is not. The aim is to be as realistic as we are able to make it, the only reason the AI gets financial assistance is because it's so poor at managing money, and that bankrupt AI = inactivity. Something we will never return to is the tedious stack-spam of EB1, where you could fight 3-4 full stack battles each and every turn into perpetuity, because the AI had so much money.
    Then realistically and historically, the Gauls outnumbered the Romans 3:1. But for that to happen would take a genius AI and an impossible standing army without bankrupting the AI. Merc events limit mercs such to carefully restore history and realism by cheap mercs (essentially volunteers) on demand, but since limited by events (turns or conditions), can't invade Rome by capriciousness.
    This is why jihads and crusades were possible because large standing armies would collapse economies. The same is true for Alesia. It is a sudden cheap militia of volunteers.

The AI cannot build infrastructure properly if it has to have a huge standing army. This fixes both issues...elegantly and logically.
    Last edited by RubiconDecision; January 26, 2016 at 06:28 AM.

alex33's Avatar Centenarius

it maybe a very small thing but i think it would be cool if you could import the pezhetairoi voice from eb1. Phalangitai are in theory a version of them so it would be cool if they could say phalangitai and pezhetairoi when u select them. I think it is possible to have 2 different selection sound isn't it?

New suggestion - give units you deem appropriate weapon upgrades with reforms.

I like to read unit descriptions a lot. Often, I read about bronze and iron used in making weaponry, fire hardened javelins etc.
    Wouldnt it be nice and realistic to simulate a gradual improvement in armament (bronze to iron, iron to steel etc) of some of the troops by giving them weapon upgrades via reforms? Units that dont get removed or replaced from the recruitment roster, ofc. If some lower quality units get weapon upgrades, it could give them a better chance against increasingly better armored enemies.

Changes in warfare are already being done (done well, I might add). New units replace old ones and have better stats altogether, some new types show in factional rosters, others get armor upgrades. Why not weapon upgrades too?

Quote Originally Posted by Rad View Post
    New suggestion - give units you deem appropriate weapon upgrades with reforms.

I like to read unit descriptions a lot. Often, I read about bronze and iron used in making weaponry, fire hardened javelins etc.
    Wouldnt it be nice and realistic to simulate a gradual improvement in armament (bronze to iron, iron to steel etc) of some of the troops by giving them weapon upgrades via reforms? Units that dont get removed or replaced from the recruitment roster, ofc. If some lower quality units get weapon upgrades, it could give them a better chance against increasingly better armored enemies.

Changes in warfare are already being done (done well, I might add). New units replace old ones and have better stats altogether, some new types show in factional rosters, others get armor upgrades. Why not weapon upgrades too?
    EBII is in timeframe WAY past bronze weapons. AFAIK there were no signficant ironworking advances in EBII's timerframe and location, most differences in quality came from the unit's status-elites who had the best gear were equipped with high quality weapons-like from noric steel-while levies had to use whatever the local smiths could scrounge up.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Quote Originally Posted by Sar1n View Post
    EBII is in timeframe WAY past bronze weapons. AFAIK there were no signficant ironworking advances in EBII's timerframe and location, most differences in quality came from the unit's status-elites who had the best gear were equipped with high quality weapons-like from noric steel-while levies had to use whatever the local smiths could scrounge up.
    And Noric steel as used by the Romans and their Celtic allies in the region was a blessing in an age of bloomeries and wrought iron, long before the smelting of pig iron in a blast furnace to make a cast iron product. The latter was developed in late medieval Europe by the early 14th century AD (earliest evidence for it in Sweden), although the Warring States era Chinese, who were curiously stuck in the Bronze Age without bloomeries until c. 500 BC, managed to invent the blast furnace and cast iron as far back as the 5th century BC (and steel via the puddling process by the 2nd century BC). Ancient India had Wootz steel using the same crucible process that was the precursor to medieval Islamic Damascus steel. Perhaps there's an argument to be made for weapons upgrades for the Taksashila faction of Pakistan/India in the game as well, although I'm not particularly sure their particular armies were ever equipped with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sar1n View Post
    If you read unit descriptions like I do, you will notice that some units do get mentioned using iron and bronze weapons. Usually, they are low level and from low tech factions. Looking at unit models, it can be confirmed - you see the brown color of bronze on spear tips, the dark color of iron...
    With time (reforms), they should get better stuff. Amongst other things, its a good way to prevent them from becoming obsolete if reforms havent removed them.
    Last edited by Rad; January 30, 2016 at 01:32 AM.

Some ideas regarding faction reforms:
    -The Baktrian and Hayasdan independence reforms should be triggered immediately if either a) they are at war with Arche Seleukeia or b) Arche Seleukeia no longer exists. This would immediately allow them to build the Kingdom Capital governments (Hayasdan would also require that the Pan-Caucasian reform has also been completed) and become independent kingdoms. The problem with the 'win X battles and take Y settlements to win the war' criterion is that the game is not always this convenient (AS may not have any nearby armies or settlements). Additionally, establishing an independent state shouldn't necessarily require taking a large chunk of AS's territory.
    -By a similar argument, all other 'win X large battles' reform requirements should be dropped; the game isn't always nice enough to provide such encounters.
    -Since it's not being used for anything else, it would probably be helpful to put a list of any available reforms and their requirements in the Mission Panel.

There's already a fallback script for independence, if the AS fall to 5 cities or below you should become independent(this includes faction destruction).

I don't believe you should immediately become independent upon making war on the AS; it simply doesn't make sense. To become truly independent of an empire/another nation then you have to earn it and withstand their attempts at a reprisal/reclamation of their suzerainty over you. Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Genghis Skahn View Post
    There's already a fallback script for independence, if the AS fall to 5 cities or below you should become independent(this includes faction destruction).

I don't believe you should immediately become independent upon making war on the AS; it simply doesn't make sense. To become truly independent of an empire/another nation then you have to earn it and withstand their attempts at a reprisal/reclamation of their suzerainty over you. Just my opinion.
    If you attack AS (or start a war by withholding tribute), then you are essentially making a declaration of an independent state. Historically, seceding states didn't generally wait until the war was over to begin establishing a new government or claiming royal title.

There have been many rebellions in the history of the AS, or rebellions from empires in history period. A large portion of these have been completely unsuccessful. Recognition as an independent state is different than just a rebellion; an empire stops calling it a rebellion once the rebellion has been so successful that they have no choice other than to recognize them. Technically, at the start of the war, you are considered a rebel by the AS, not an independent power. This is important to note, because historically speaking, the Baktrians(for example) actually became recognized by the AS later on(I believe). Diodotos and his successors didn't just rebel against the AS, they also maintained themselves against the AS, allowing them to become formally independent(and officially recognized by the AS) as an empire. After defeating the Baktrians in the Battle of Arius, Baktra herself was famously besieged by Antiochos III. This however, was ended by an honorable peace, and no mention of Baktria becoming a satrapy again is mentioned, which suggests that it was just a ceasefire. Offering/accepting a ceasefire is in effect accepting independence of another nation.