Page 21 of 127 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718192021222324252627282930314671121 ... LastLast

Thread: Fans suggestion thread for future releases

Dirty Chai's Avatar Dux Limitis

Default Re: Fans suggestion thread for future releases

So for some reason a pirate fleet spawned in a tiny lake up in the northeastern steppe; the lake right next to Alexandrea-Eschate.
    And yes, it proceeded to spawn sea storm events for two turns in a row while my budding Saka Rauka army besieged the city, killing 2/3 of my remaining force, and crippling that campaign (only had 2 camps conquered, was deep in the red still).

So, if possible, let's not have pirates spawning in the Ferghana valley and magically summoning hurricanes from a body of water about the size of the island of Rhodes.

EDIT: I suspect this is a vanilla problem, though?
    Last edited by Dirty Chai; December 23, 2015 at 11:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bastard Feudalism View Post
    So for some reason a pirate fleet spawned in a tiny lake up in the northeastern steppe; the lake right next to Alexandrea-Eschate.
    And yes, it proceeded to spawn sea storm events for two turns in a row while my budding Saka Rauka army besieged the city, killing 2/3 of my remaining force, and crippling that campaign (only had 2 camps conquered, was deep in the red still).

So, if possible, let's not have pirates spawning in the Ferghana valley and magically summoning hurricanes from a body of water about the size of the island of Rhodes.

Haha, that's awesome I would have reloaded my save from the last turn as soon as that storm started, because that's not a legitimate threat so I don't view that as cheating. Whenever I get rebels in inland lakes, I just use the console commands to move them out to the sea. I'm don't know much about mapping to know if there's any way you can stop those random events by flagging it as 'lake' rather than 'ocean' etc.

Quote Originally Posted by myarta View Post
    Haha, that's awesome I would have reloaded my save from the last turn as soon as that storm started, because that's not a legitimate threat so I don't view that as cheating. Whenever I get rebels in inland lakes, I just use the console commands to move them out to the sea. I'm don't know much about mapping to know if there's any way you can stop those random events by flagging it as 'lake' rather than 'ocean' etc.
    If the body of water cant be sailed, or no port can be constructed, why not make it technically land and edit the battle map so it remains water visually?

Quote Originally Posted by myarta View Post
    Whenever I get rebels in inland lakes, I just use the console commands to move them out to the sea.
    Please teach me, Montblanc

Please teach me, Montblanc
    1) ~ to open console
    2) Mouse over a piece of regular ocean
    3) show_cursorstat will give you coordinates like 234, 221 for where your mouse cursor is
    4) move_character "Admiral Alexios" 234, 211 <-- plug in the coordinates from step 3. Also those quotes is required.

You may find that it says such and such character isn't found. In that case, look for all possible code-names that match his display name in data/text/names.txt. For example, if is name is "Admiral Marcvs", but the move with "Admiral Marcvs" said character not found, you would next try:

move_character "Admiral MarcvsA" 234, 211

Because in the file there are names {Marcvs}, {MarcvsA}, etc through {MarcvsK} that are all simply displayed as "Marcvs".

I also do this when someone I am not at war with is standing on my borders and preventing me from building a watch tower because the "near the enemy army" zone that slows movement prevents you from building towers even though it's your territory. Since the game lacks a diplomatic option for this, I find it reasonable to just nudge them to the side (BEFORE walking towards the spot, or you'll be stuck with no movement points, and maybe they'll just walk back next turn). But beware that this way lies the dark side, when you may be tempted to shuffle everyone on the map around for your convenience and make the game boring due to being unchallenging.

Pirates spawning in inland lakes are killed periodically by a script that sweeps the seas.

Good to know. I'll just avoid the shoreline next time..

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    Pirates spawning in inland lakes are killed periodically by a script that sweeps the seas.

Yeah right...."script".
    Is that what we call Krakens these days.

Here there be monsters.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Whenever the EB II team can get around to it and cares to implement it, I'd like to see new UI cards and portrait pics for Greek, Roman, and Eastern factions, which still use the tired old Rome Total War faces for Romans, Greeks, Easterners, and nomads. Those can get pretty repetitive after a short while of playing and having a large faction where you can definitely spot more than one family member having the exact same face. It's even worse with spies, assassins, and diplomats. You guys did a remarkable job creating new portraits for the Indian (i.e. Gandhara), Celtic and Germanic factions, but you shouldn't have stopped there! I hope someone would like to tackle this task in the near future.

I for one actually prefer the pictures we currently have, being used to them I feel more "at home" with the game. It is a subjective matter of personal preference really, and different people have different tastes, and as they say: "De gustibus non est disputandum..."

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Well, I think a fair compromise would be to add a bunch of new avatar pics to the existing body of portraits than to get rid of them altogether and start from scratch. Clearly the EB II team has one or more graphic artists who've created some wonderful portraits thus far for the Celtic, Germanic, and Indian factions of the game. I know it's a small issue, especially when there are bigger things to worry about, like hellenistic toxotai archer battle map death animation graphics glitches, but it's something to consider down the road.

I'm assuming such a thing could be save-game compatible, too.

James the Red's Avatar Campidoctor

Can the temples that the Ptolemies start with be changed? It seems like other temples would fit certain settlements better than what currently is there. In particular in Alexandria, a temple to Serapis would make a lot of sense due to the famous Serapeum there.

Another suggestion, a slinger unit in Italy, maybe a regional italic unit rather than a factional roman unit. This is because slings were important in Italian warfare, just like in Greece.

The sling was not important in Italian warfare. There was the javelin, and that was it. The Accensi of EB1 are camp followers at best, a total fantasy at worst.

The only regional besides Greeks or Celts would be Ligurians, and it's looking doubtful that they'll merit a unit in their own right.

b0Gia de Bodemloze's Avatar Europa Barbarorum Dev

Quote Originally Posted by V.T. Marvin View Post
    I for one actually prefer the pictures we currently have, being used to them I feel more "at home" with the game. It is a subjective matter of personal preference really, and different people have different tastes, and as they say: "De gustibus non est disputandum..."
    I second this.
    Under the Patronage of Veteraan.
    Proud member of Europa Barbarorum 2 team, developer of EBNOM, developer of EB 1.21, developer of Diadochi Total War, developer of Hegemonia City States and creator of one modpack for Megas Alexandros.

James the Red's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    The sling was not important in Italian warfare. There was the javelin, and that was it. The Accensi of EB1 are camp followers at best, a total fantasy at worst.

The only regional besides Greeks or Celts would be Ligurians, and it's looking doubtful that they'll merit a unit in their own right.
    Really? Well, my mistake then.

After reading some descriptions about the hippeis and the Hippeis Thessalikoi I cant help but wonder, will there be a Makedonian cavalry unit? Their prowess kept being mentioned in the narratives.

Quote Originally Posted by CenturionMarius View Post
    After reading some descriptions about the hippeis and the Hippeis Thessalikoi I cant help but wonder, will there be a Makedonian cavalry unit? Their prowess kept being mentioned in the narratives.
    The Hetaeroi are it. They are so good, that all the Successors have them.

New suggestion for next release: Make some Hellenic officer models (please). Hellenic armies are missing them...
    Replace evil EB1 standard bearer if possible.
    Last edited by Rad; January 17, 2016 at 11:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rad View Post
    Indeed.

New suggestion for next release: Make some Hellenic officer models (please). Hellenic armies are missing them...
    We actually have some, already there - just not referenced in the units in the EDU. You'll see them in 2.2.

Nice.

Ahh I see, I used to think that the Companions were a title not a unit consisting solely of Makedonians. Didn't Alexander The Great integrated Persian royals to the Hetairoi? If so wouldn't the Seleucid deployed "Eastern" Hetairoi instead of a Macedonian ones? I'm very much likely to be mistaken though