Page 20 of 127 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920212223242526272829304570120 ... LastLast

Thread: Fans suggestion thread for future releases

Default Re: Fans suggestion thread for future releases

One suggestion, could you add a trait to different ethnicities or country's FMs that would list their fighting style and unit composition? Something like "Roman Camillan Style" The pop-up could list the recommended unit composition? It would just be nice to know what the people who made the armies see as the countries normal composition of EB units would be. It could just be an information thing.

You could even make it functional by adding something tied to command stars or morale of troops if your army doesn't have at least a core of those things.(could depend on their traits or ethncity as well. But that's notas important as the first suggestion just to have the information easily available

Or rather, what if people with some history background posted a guide in the AAR subforum so that it might later be included into a comprehensive manual on game mechanics (reforms, strategies, etc.) which would be a great project coming from the community to support the wider community...

When I was looking at a mod (really don't remember which one) I saw that they had some factions which were composed of many nonunified cities across the campaign map. The logic behind that was allowing the player to choose who to play by forcing him to abandon or sell the cities which he didn't want to play. Like creating a western greek faction which starts with Syracuse, Masilia and some other currently rebel provinces so that all of them are playable without wasting faction slots.
    Can the same be done with combining similar cultured independent cities for two factions? One western greek for example and one celtic? It should be done so that it is impossible to unify the factions starting settlements which are different tribes/city states so you choose the one you want to play, selling the others for mini starting cash boost. Since the core factional recruitment is similar between many factions and the access to different regionals are the thing which makes many EBII factions diverse, this can also work in the very same way.
    It's a bit gamey considering the faction name and all that but so is the current religion mechanic with lusotannan having urban tribal culture with an elephant symbol which is really no problem because it makes the game work with avoiding a hardcoded M2TW mechanic. Just an idea though..

Late republic Marian infantry is all I desire.

Dont we all.

Is it possible to have named legions in M2? You know, like in RTW with the 1st Cohorts.

b0Gia de Bodemloze's Avatar Europa Barbarorum Dev

Quote Originally Posted by romanius24 View Post
    Dont we all.

Is it possible to have named legions in M2? You know, like in RTW with the 1st Cohorts.
    It is from what i remember
    Under the Patronage of Veteraan.
    Proud member of Europa Barbarorum 2 team, developer of EBNOM, developer of EB 1.21, developer of Diadochi Total War, developer of Hegemonia City States and creator of one modpack for Megas Alexandros.

I request that a silk road building be added to oyrta. Wouldnt silk from sulek(the furthest silk road province to the east on the map) have to physically pass through the mountain passages of dahyu haomavarga?? If oyrta becomes converted to a city as well, and roads are built there, surely the silk road would follow these roads? Is it intentional that oyrta doesnt have the silk road building? I cant see any other physical way of making silk arriving into sulek reach A-E and beyond without passing near/through oyrta/it's environs.

Suggestion: No Augustan Reforms for the Romans, or make them entirely optional at least.
    Reasons: Units are essentially the same, having the same stats and AOR, but they need to be remade visually, which will press the team. Also, the reforms have to be programmed in and the units will use unit slots. Game wise, it isnt practical to have yet another change of units one is able to recruit, thus making your old (but freaking awesome Marian ones!) ones obsolete in the sense that you cannot train or retrain them... in the last 150 turns or so. As an EB1 Roman fan, I always looked forward to the Polybian reforms, because of the improved unit stats and models. I endured the bother of the mid game Marian reforms because of the same reasons... but to do it again, late game for what to me was a minor change? Nah, no thanks.

For me, each reform was something to look forward to as a goal, and the new units were interesting. Not being able to replenish the old units can be a drag, but I found it more than outweighed by the new units and general roleplay value of the reform. QS tends to agree with you about turns they'd be available for and wasting slots, though. Having something like 200 left sounds like plenty to me when we're talking about using like 8, but the team knows better than I do how many units are still planned to add diversity all over the map.

Quote Originally Posted by Rad View Post
    Suggestion: No Augustan Reforms for the Romans, or make them entirely optional at least.
    Reasons: Units are essentially the same, having the same stats and AOR, but they need to be remade visually, which will press the team. Also, the reforms have to be programmed in and the units will use unit slots. Game wise, it isnt practical to have yet another change of units one is able to recruit, thus making your old (but freaking awesome Marian ones!) ones obsolete in the sense that you cannot train or retrain them... in the last 150 turns or so. As an EB1 Roman fan, I always looked forward to the Polybian reforms, because of the improved unit stats and models. I endured the bother of the mid game Marian reforms because of the same reasons... but to do it again, late game for what to me was a minor change? Nah, no thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by myarta View Post
    For me, each reform was something to look forward to as a goal, and the new units were interesting. Not being able to replenish the old units can be a drag, but I found it more than outweighed by the new units and general roleplay value of the reform. QS tends to agree with you about turns they'd be available for and wasting slots, though. Having something like 200 left sounds like plenty to me when we're talking about using like 8, but the team knows better than I do how many units are still planned to add diversity all over the map.
    Our main Roman historian has already said he's rather relaxed about any Augustan reform being purely political, ie not having an impact on rosters.

Realistically, I think you'd struggle to get more than 100 turns of an "Augustan" period - certainly not long enough to justify so many units.

OK if it doesnt change rosters... still, some of us are for the public affair, if you know what I mean

Would you consider deleting battle flags waving over the units? You can replace them with animation-less vexillum for Romans, dragon standards for Sauromatae and Getai, idol statues for Gauls etc.

You know you can disable them? Thats what i do. And the green markers in the units as well.
    Then, as throngs of his enemies bore down upon him and one of his followers said, "They are making at thee, O King," "Who else, pray," said Antigonus, "should be their mark? But Demetrius will come to my aid." This was his hope to the last, and to the last he kept watching eagerly for his son; then a whole cloud of javelins were let fly at him and he fell.

-Plutarch, life of Demetrius.

Arche Aiakidae-Epeiros EB2 AAR

The green markers are awful. Instant disable for me always.

I like the banners though. Its really helpful to hover over a specific unit more accurately.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    Our main Roman historian has already said he's rather relaxed about any Augustan reform being purely political, ie not having an impact on rosters.

Realistically, I think you'd struggle to get more than 100 turns of an "Augustan" period - certainly not long enough to justify so many units.
    I'd enjoy the goal of maneuvering an ambitious fellow towards founding the Empire, even if the "early" empire didn't involve any new units, thus not wasting your time or unit slots. It'd be a fun end-game meta goal for a period that can be sort of dry with recruit-smash-repeat once your ball is rolling. Some kind of trait with epithet for FLs going forward from the reform, a popup, etc. If there's ever time later to add more, great. The turn count depends on how early you guys allow it to be unlocked, I guess. EB1 decided to let you start 98 years early in 125BC. You'd get 168 or so turns from the historic date of 27 BC (counting a year '0'). We permit the Marian reforms 40 years early, at turn 500 = 147 BC vs 107, so a similar allowance on the Empire would permit starting at 67 BC or turn 820. Yeah, it's not a WHOLE lot of time. Certainly a lot less time than when EB1 let you form the Empire around turn 500.

I'd enjoy in descending order:

a) An early empire, complete with units
    b) If that's too much work / takes too many slots, an early empire that affects politics via traits. Maybe unlocks some buildings or pools if any of that is historically relevant.

I wouldn't enjoy:

c) No empire event at all, because it's something to work towards late game and the capstone. I mean, our ending date is picked based on Augustus' death, right?

I would love some sort of politics change late game. I couldnt care less about an "Augustan army reform" though.

I think a cool idea would be to make it harder to maintain an empire late game. The stronger you get the more disloyal and greedy the generals should get and try to take power(which happened so many times).

You have a huge empire with lots of money and armies fighting some war in the east when suddenly you lose a few regions in Spain(or anywhere) and have to fight a rebellion there.
    Maybe you can use traits/scripts to weaken your empire with all kinds of problems late game.

I know Roma Surrectum 3 is doing something like this in RTW and their plan is to have this feature for more than just Rome.

I think hemithorakitai peltophoroi from the recent release are overpowered. At upkeep cost of 250, even without their throwing spears, they can fight classical hoplitai who cost 50% more on equal terms. Essentially, their defence skill of 9 is too high, in my opinion. It's much higher than that of similarily-equipped thraikian peltenai (6), who I assume should be superior meele fighters?

Quote Originally Posted by wojtekimbier View Post
    I think hemithorakitai peltophoroi from the recent release are overpowered. At upkeep cost of 250, even without their throwing spears, they can fight classical hoplitai who cost 50% more on equal terms. Essentially, their defence skill of 9 is too high, in my opinion. It's much higher than that of similarily-equipped thraikian peltenai (6), who I assume should be superior meele fighters?
    Actually, you're right - both units have the wrong defensive skill. Hemithorakitai are semi-professionals, and should have a 6 (where the Thureophoroi who replace them are professionals). Peltenai are warrior-class sword-and-shield fighters, so should have a 9.

I'm glad to be of help to the mod

Suggestion for future patches: Instead of great big leaps, make smaller unit patches which will contain 15-20 new units. You can get those units tested fast by willing players
    Those who want to wait for a bigger , more complete download can wait for the grand release.