Page 127 of 127 FirstFirst ... 2777102117118119120121122123124125126127
Results 2,521 to 2,526 of 2526

Thread: Fans suggestion thread for future releases

Default Re: Fans suggestion thread for future releases

So, I just got the Marian reform event for Rome and it is pretty cool, but I was a little disappointed in the lack of recruitment available for the cohors reformata in provincial colonies. I was wondering if the unit pool for them could somehow be increased or alternatively there could be new tier of roman colonies to distinguish minor Roman provincial colonies from major ones, like in the Italian provinces.

Quote Originally Posted by AuctionedMeteor View Post
    So, I just got the Marian reform event for Rome and it is pretty cool, but I was a little disappointed in the lack of recruitment available for the cohors reformata in provincial colonies. I was wondering if the unit pool for them could somehow be increased or alternatively there could be new tier of roman colonies to distinguish minor Roman provincial colonies from major ones, like in the Italian provinces.
    I noticed something similar, but I couldn't actually build any colonies outside of Italy which would have provided the reformata units. I could in the last version, was that change intentional or is there maybe a bug in the script?

Quote Originally Posted by AuctionedMeteor View Post
    It's deliberately small. Nor is it a coincidence that most of the legionaries that come from the provincial colony are levies. Your core infantry still come from Italy, all the provinces can provide is a supplement to it.

Quote Originally Posted by bob124 View Post
    I noticed something similar, but I couldn't actually build any colonies outside of Italy which would have provided the reformata units. I could in the last version, was that change intentional or is there maybe a bug in the script?
    Nothing has changed.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Unless you guys actually plan on doing something with it soon, perhaps remove the useless ancillary "potential reformer" for Koinon Hellenon faction leaders? It takes up an unnecessary slot among the 8 possible ancillaries a general/family member can have in total. I'm glad I was able to dole out the "Nauarkhos" and "Hipparkhos" officer ancillaries to worthy subordinates via ancillary sharing (for improved traits/stats) before my faction leader's total number of ancillaries became filled, the last of which was this needless "potential reformer" one. I personally prefer the way Koinon Hellenon is currently able to achieve its reforms and government upgrades. I don't really see the need to change it with ancillaries or other qualifications like the Roman reformer trait for consuls prior to the Marian reforms. To me it seems like an unnecessary complication of something that's already perfect.

Devs, can the one in charge of unit balancing explain the reasoning behind this unit: Thrakian Mezenai (Thrakian hippeis)? Not the stats but the number of men in the unit. Why are they so few, especially compared to their brothers of the same ethnic background (e.g. Thrakian Fast Horsemen, Thrakian Horse skirmishers, even the Thrakian Noble Horse)? They're of less high birth than the Zibutai, but of a culture with extensive horse expertise (which means in eb2 terms they have a few more troops within a unit - extreme example would be steppe cultures having 100 or so horsemen a troop, even heavily armored ones), so I was expecting them to be at 80 at most, or maybe 71 like the Illyrian horse. Why 61?

P.S. The reason why is that I'm doing a bit of personal modding. I feel that this unit and the triari are a bit underpowered. Going to make this one 71 and the triari 120 at most? I'm aware of the historical reason of why the triari are at half strength (they really WERE half strength compared to normal maniples), but why are the mezenai relegated to the same numbers as a roman cavalry unit? It's a bit insulting to the thracians.
    Last edited by Pooploop; April 17, 2024 at 11:24 PM.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Quote Originally Posted by Pooploop View Post
    Devs, can the one in charge of unit balancing explain the reasoning behind this unit: Thrakian Mezenai (Thrakian hippeis)? Not the stats but the number of men in the unit. Why are they so few, especially compared to their brothers of the same ethnic background (e.g. Thrakian Fast Horsemen, Thrakian Horse skirmishers, even the Thrakian Noble Horse)? They're of less high birth than the Zibutai, but of a culture with extensive horse expertise (which means in eb2 terms they have a few more troops within a unit - extreme example would be steppe cultures having 100 or so horsemen a troop, even heavily armored ones), so I was expecting them to be at 80 at most, or maybe 71 like the Illyrian horse. Why 61?

P.S. The reason why is that I'm doing a bit of personal modding. I feel that this unit and the triari are a bit underpowered. Going to make this one 71 and the triari 120 at most? I'm aware of the historical reason of why the triari are at half strength (they really WERE half strength compared to normal maniples), but why are the mezenai relegated to the same numbers as a roman cavalry unit? It's a bit insulting to the thracians.
    I'm annoyed with it as well and simply made all cavalry units either 90 or 100 based on their defensive capabilities, with stronger noble cavalry being less numerous (and cavalry bodyguard units only at 65 men). However, I left all the nomadic steppe cavalry alone if they were already 100, since they should be a bit terrifying and have a slight advantage over the cavalry of settled cultures. That being said, 60 versus 100 is obnoxious and a hilariously wrong gulf in terms of numeric strength, especially for the Thracians who were strong in terms of their use of cavalry. They certainly had more cavalry than the Greeks of mainland Greece and a stronger cavalry tradition aside from the Thessalians and Macedonians.

I also tweaked infantry unit sizes, making phalangitai (regardless of greater or lower strength) and weak levy units all as 250 men strong, some light-to-mid troops as units of 225 soldiers, mid-tier units as 200 men, and elite units as either 150 or 175 men. I find it annoying that any infantry unit would only have 120 guys, though I understand the historical realism/authenticity of doing this for units like Triarii being so limited in number. You might say: "hey, that gives the elite infantry too much of an advantage!" Yeah, but now cheap throwaway slinger units are 175 to 200 men strong, and they are a now an absolute menace if you don't close in and kill them quickly before you get pelted to death with rocks! So there is still plenty of rock-paper-scissor tactical action and concerns on the battlefield and in sieges for my customized version of the game.