Thread: Fans suggestion thread for future releases

Default Re: Fans suggestion thread for future releases

Quote Originally Posted by bordinis View Post
    Please increase Battle AI generals hit points on their spawn. These Ai generals they die too fast. Battles end so quickly and I m not even sniping them. There is a way to do hard and very hard difficulty to increease those hit points of generals. I don t know give them traits with hit points on their spawn, make them tanky. The whole reason to remove so much lethality was to increase battle time limits but after playing so many battles it turns out you kill the head of the snake in five minutes and the battle is over...
    They do already have bonus hit points with the hidden AIGeneral trait and many of the script-spawned ones have extra ones through the health trait as well.

Hard and Very Hard difficulty give them the higher levels of that trait, which comes with more hit points.

Quick question. Are there plans to redo the Celtic cavalry (both light and nobles), Argoi and Nedes Nesamoi?
    The redone spearmen, swordsmen and Bataroi are a great improvement!

Any chance of the M2TWEOP Choose Heir mechanic being implemented into the mod? Almost ragequit a campaign because the Aikiades lost the kingship of Eperios to one of their son-in-laws, despite him not being the designated heir.

Would it be possible to build a basilike patris in Byzantion as Pontus or a hellenistc faction? Same with Memphis and the Ptolemids.

Is there any historical reason why that wouldn't be feasible?

Quote Originally Posted by Rad View Post
    Quick question. Are there plans to redo the Celtic cavalry (both light and nobles), Argoi and Nedes Nesamoi?
    Possibly. Depends entirely what the artists want to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Aodh Mór Ó Néill View Post
    Any chance of the M2TWEOP Choose Heir mechanic being implemented into the mod? Almost ragequit a campaign because the Aikiades lost the kingship of Eperios to one of their son-in-laws, despite him not being the designated heir.
    We don't have a timeline on what elements of EOP we might be able to adopt yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellenikon View Post
    Would it be possible to build a basilike patris in Byzantion as Pontus or a hellenistc faction? Same with Memphis and the Ptolemids.

Is there any historical reason why that wouldn't be feasible?
    As Pontos, yes. As Makedonia or Epeiros, no. Ptolemaioi and Seleukids can put their "up to three" where they want.

Genava's Avatar Senator

Thanks. I am planning something for the Nedes Nesamoi and the cavalry. I just need to compile the information for Zarrr and wermez (so it is my fault if this is not already done lol). Concerning the Argoi, I have some issues with the concept but I didn't have found an alternative yet.
    LOTR mod for Shogun 2 Total War (Campaign and Battles!)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIywmAgUxQU

Quote Originally Posted by Genava View Post
    Thanks. I am planning something for the Nedes Nesamoi and the cavalry. I just need to compile the information for Zarrr and wermez (so it is my fault if this is not already done lol). Concerning the Argoi, I have some issues with the concept but I didn't have found an alternative yet.

Good news indeed! What are the Argoi issues related to? Equipment?

Genava's Avatar Senator

Good news indeed! What are the Argoi issues related to? Equipment?
    The concept itself of a bunch of nobles fighting together cohesively bother me. But yes there is a few issues with the equipment, the bauldrick for the sword notably.

Yeah, it's not ideal. The main point of having retainers and retinues is that one has someone reliable at his side on the battlefield. Perhaps the Argoi and the retainers unit can be fused into one unit?

Tbh I wouldn t mind if EB team would scrap some naval units from the game like royal navy or others. For what I see as a point is that I would rather have "brazen shields" or "argyraspides" than a bunch of not usable ships who are autoresolve-victim of a unit anyways. We don t have naval battles and having more unique elites for hellenic powers would be awesome. For what I care all factions would have transport ships and canoes for pointless autoresolve battles at sea and We would get more units slots. They will probably won t do this for historical purposes but I have a point about those Liburnes and other ships. Mechanically they are useless since we don t have naval battles.

Good suggestion. I think it could be done if we figure out the true minimum unit slots ships need to represent truly different classes of ships (different in terms of fighting performance, cost etc) and if we figure out where to put the historical information about the various ancient ships into the game (maybe the dock building).

Genava's Avatar Senator

Yeah, it's not ideal. The main point of having retainers and retinues is that one has someone reliable at his side on the battlefield. Perhaps the Argoi and the retainers unit can be fused into one unit?
    I had the same idea mostly. The retainers (Nedes Nesamoi) could represent both. Although I need to find another interesting concept for the Argoi but maybe I have an interesting track.

There's already an elite phalanx unit and no need for another one.

The point was the unit slots and units that are usable by the player in real time battles rather than have argyraspides. Ships are less so functional in this game. I just proposed that we may have transport ships and mercenary war ships as the same unit for each faction. We would make atleast 4 to 6 unit slots for land units. That was the point.

I have to agree with Quintus here. Removing the few ships that are already available would simplify naval battles even more than they already are. The agema phalanx is a just a reskin of an existing unit. As the seleucids or ptolemids I find royal ships very useful to spend your money on, and the competition to have the most superships was an important part of the hellenistic era. Stuff like elephants and superships were regulated in the peace treaties with Rome, which was rightly afraid of them.

Guys, I'm trying to build a Turan Enclave in the United States, but the number of turns before it becomes available is dummi thicc, and the waiting between turns is killing my motivation.

Jokes aside, I'm wondering if the EBII team would consider scripting a reform that speeds up the migration of the many Central Asian steppe peoples. Yes, historicity comes first in this mod, but the team has made compromises in the past. Take the Pontos Imperial reform, which represents Pontos becoming a real player in the international scene. This historically never happened until around 183BC as indicated by the fallback for the script. However, by achieving some rather hard milestones, the Pontos player can reach the Imperial reform early. This optional route preserves historicity for the relaxed player, but gives the opportunity for the impatient player to unlock new gameplay mechanics. A similar process are the KH reforms. The fallbacks for each step go deep into the campaign, with the final step occurring at around turn 400, which I assume is when the greeks historically formed a koinon-like coalition. This could be fine for a player interested in historicity. However, the completionist player can speedrun this reform by turn 70 and unlock all the juicy governments early. Once again, two choices are presented to the player - one prioritizing historicity and one for gameplay.

I understand the EBII team is still swamped with enough work releasing 2.35a and working on 2.4, but should y'all ever find yourselves ahead of schedule, maybe allocate some time to devise a reform that, upon being fulfilled, triggers the Saka, Asana, Turan, and other migrations early? Maybe it can be achieved by developing the string of settlements north of Baktria into the largest settlements allowed with max level farms, caravans, and markets. That would be a tempting target once word gets out of the western steppe peoples growing rich but soft...

So I briefly attempted to make a submod for this myself, but if I'm honest the M2TW coding makes my head hurt and I'm a bit unqualified to make a lot of the necessary judgment calls it would require.

Right now, there is made a distinction between provinces which would have historically been colonized with Makedonian soldiers and those which would not. A small handful of provinces can upgrade their colonies to helcon_three, but later trade their Phalangitai to other recruitment with helcon_ref. For provinces which would -not- have historically been settled with Makedonian soldiers, they instead must wait until after the Thorakitai reform and upgrade directly from helcon_two to helcon_ref. This isn't the most elegant solution, and I'd like to propose an alternative for you gentlemen consider.

Consolidate helcon_three with helcon_ref for the areas that wouldn't have had Makedonian settlers. Helcon_three recruitment already distinguishes based on the province that it is in, so it should be fairly simple to remove Phalangitai from provinces that shouldn't have access to them. Consolidating the NoMak provinces means that helcon_three should have a static, reasonable cost of time and money, and will also cost these NoMak provinces settlers, as it should (all while not including Phalangitai). Thorakitai wouldn't be available until after the proper event counter, and until then would instead be replaced with generic hellenic infantry like hoplites. The reform, available only in the historically accurate provinces, will be reasonably priced for a side-grade, instead of making Seleukia and Ptolemaioi pay for their settler cities twice.

This solution uses no extra buildings, while managing to differentiate between provinces that would or would not have feasibly been settled with Makedonian soldiers. It also preserves the midgame playability of (especially eastern) greek factions, particularly Baktria. In my personal opinion, it would be a very reasonable compromise in which case historical accuracy and playability are both maintained.
    Last edited by rhavviepoodle; April 26, 2021 at 11:30 AM.

How does your system represents the seleucids/ptolemids reforming ther military and moving away from phalanxes? Currently this is represented by the player/AI upgrading their helcol three to helcol ref. This happened historically in the late era, so this helps the AI go through the historical phases of military reform, as the AI always thinks an upgraded building is better than the previous one.

What are the issues with the current system?

The way it used to work, any greek faction could immediately build helcon_three assuming they met the requirements for it. Something like 14400 mnai and 12 turns, as well as one batch of colonists. They could later build helcon_ref, even if there was no actual change in recruitment.

Right now, helcon_three seems to be married to recruitment of Phalangitai. The designers have distinguished between provinces that would or would not have feasibly had Makedonian settlers. Provinces that would have feasibly been settled can have helcon_three, and a small number of those are capable of being reformed after the thorakitai reform.

What about the other provinces? They are allowed to build from helcon_two to helcon_ref, as long as the thorakitai reform has happened.

So, I understand that "settler cities that no longer have makedonian settlers" and "settler cities that never had makedonian settlers" should functionally be similar on paper, but in practice it is far from an elegant solution.

The issues:
    *it is impossible to build settler cities outside of the Makedonian settler geographic range before the Thorakitai reform
    *the mod still thinks of helcon_ref as a side-grade (for provinces where it can still be built after helcon_three, like Antiocheia)
    *it costs 2k mnai and 4 seasons, using up no settlers
    *current mechanics are an unwarranted nerf to Baktria
    *simply increasing the cost of helcon_ref would mean in provinces like Antiocheia you pay for your settler cities twice

So my take is instead of changing all NoMak provinces to only be compatible with helcon_ref after the thorakitai reform, their helcon_three should have no Phalangitai in the first place, meaning the helcon_ref building would be unnecessary (for these NoMak provinces, at least). Trying to make helcon_ref function as both a sidegrade for helcon_three in places like Antiocheia and as a distinct NoMak version of helcon_three is clutsy and ineligant.

Consolidating the NoMak provinces as I mentioned would preserve the reform mechanic for the Mak provinces like Antiocheia, while providing more seamless construction flow and more intuitive play.
    Last edited by rhavviepoodle; April 26, 2021 at 03:04 PM.

The helcol_ref costs 12k mnai and takes 10 seasons as of Release 2.

The places that can upgrade to it from the helcol_two would otherwise have been capped with no further upgrade than the second tier.