Thread: Fans suggestion thread for future releases

  1. #2161

    Default Re: Fans suggestion thread for future releases

    @Titus66 If stabilizing one of these regions is essential to your strategy, try doing the following:

    - Transfer your best, and I cannot stress this enough, BEST governor to that region before it starts rioting. This can be an experienced governor from one of your core settlements, or your FL or FH (they tend of have faction-specific leader and heir traits that grant influence and law bonuses, as well as influence and unrest modifiers from winning battles and sacking settlements).
    - Destroy EVERY single building that decreases public order. Markets and ports are prime candidates. Building the economy can wait.
    - Don't build past the Regional Pacification building. It provides 5% law, and most faction's higher government options penalize public order. You need time to establish other buildings anyways
    - Unfortunately as QS said there's a cultural difference factor in play. You'd have to have a high-influence governor in the troublesome region for dozens of turns before cultural conversion will have decreased civil unrest. Even a 10-influence governor will take 30-ish turns to convert 10% of your faction's culture.
    - If all else fails move your capital closer to the frontlines. Your core regions are likely to be stable anyways and sacrificing income due to distance corruption is a worthy price to pay for keeping a rebellious region happy

    Side note: the public order bonus from garrison cannot exceed 60%. So try to have the bare minimum (plus a little more to account for future population growth) garrison instead of always a full stack. Also, Troublesome regions have a periodic spike in unrest every dozen or so turns. You may have been trying to keep them under control during the peak of their unrest (chances are the unrest there during that time is at 80%, which is the limit). When you get lucky the unrest will drastically reduce. Also, the presence of Troublesome Region-generated rebel stacks will maintain 80% unrest. Destroy all rebel stacks ASAP to kick off the stabilization process.

  2. #2162
    Roma_Victrix's Avatar I am your sovereign now
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    14,483

    Default Re: Fans suggestion thread for future releases

    Quote Originally Posted by Shoebopp View Post
    @Titus66 If stabilizing one of these regions is essential to your strategy, try doing the following:

    - Transfer your best, and I cannot stress this enough, BEST governor to that region before it starts rioting. This can be an experienced governor from one of your core settlements, or your FL or FH (they tend of have faction-specific leader and heir traits that grant influence and law bonuses, as well as influence and unrest modifiers from winning battles and sacking settlements).
    - Destroy EVERY single building that decreases public order. Markets and ports are prime candidates. Building the economy can wait.
    - Don't build past the Regional Pacification building. It provides 5% law, and most faction's higher government options penalize public order. You need time to establish other buildings anyways
    - Unfortunately as QS said there's a cultural difference factor in play. You'd have to have a high-influence governor in the troublesome region for dozens of turns before cultural conversion will have decreased civil unrest. Even a 10-influence governor will take 30-ish turns to convert 10% of your faction's culture.
    - If all else fails move your capital closer to the frontlines. Your core regions are likely to be stable anyways and sacrificing income due to distance corruption is a worthy price to pay for keeping a rebellious region happy

    Side note: the public order bonus from garrison cannot exceed 60%. So try to have the bare minimum (plus a little more to account for future population growth) garrison instead of always a full stack. Also, Troublesome regions have a periodic spike in unrest every dozen or so turns. You may have been trying to keep them under control during the peak of their unrest (chances are the unrest there during that time is at 80%, which is the limit). When you get lucky the unrest will drastically reduce. Also, the presence of Troublesome Region-generated rebel stacks will maintain 80% unrest. Destroy all rebel stacks ASAP to kick off the stabilization process.
    Agreed. When it comes to settlements like Bagiennorum in Liguria, Sekeiza in Celtiberia, Likash in Mauretania, or Akko in Judea, I concur, you need to sit your best, most highly influential governor there for not just "dozens" of turns, but literally decades of time. He needs to sit there for his entire lifetime until he turns 72-74 years old and dies, especially if you are the Roman or a Hellenistic Greek faction from a different culture. At that point maybe allow an allied government to recruit a new client ruler there if you're short on generals/governors, but for these settlements in particular I almost always opt for direct control via native administrations, supervised administrations or provincial government. Even then they still require your best family members to just sit there on cultural conversion duty, at least until the populace has been converted/assimilated above 70% to your culture.

  3. #2163
    Antiokhos Euergetes's Avatar Primicerius
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Antiokheia
    Posts
    3,580

    Default Re: Fans suggestion thread for future releases

    Just a passing thought as I was playing a campaign. Perhaps the gymnasion should only be allowed after polis status.
    Polis status outside of an actual oringinal Greek poleis was granted status.
    Then the gymnasion also carries educational skills- maily philisophical, plus the obvious cultural martial pride.
    As a recent article refered to the Greco-Makedonians in their Katoikia and Seleukid city foundations/refoundations as a diaspora these Greco-Makedonians were jealous and prided rhemselves on their 'paternity'- A Kleros was passed by lineage through paternity, as in any Hellenic Polis.
    The Babylonians sum it up the Babiaya us and them the Polite Sa Ina Balili

    PS. Anyone know if/how I might change the display date to reflect Seleukid era calender, mostly for the benefit of my AAR. Its why I am messing with traits and potraits etc
    Last edited by Antiokhos Euergetes; October 16, 2020 at 04:19 AM.

  4. #2164

    Default Re: Fans suggestion thread for future releases

    I would like to suggest to make temple building more engaging and flexible by shortening construction times.


    Right now temple building is time consuming - 24 turns (6 years of gameplay) for a Level 4 Temple. This is so much, it is prohibitive to changes. In other words this high construction time punishes the player should he want to make changes in his realm and use more actively the bonuses provided by temples. Ultimately, this discourages a more analytical city building.


    I am thinking of two ways to potentially shorten the construction time and achieve this:


    1. Directly and significantly shorten the construction time for temples Level 3 and above.


    2. Make it possible for temples to be repurposed. For example, once level 4 is reached, allow the player to change gods at the cost (in time) of building another level 4 temple. Heck, allow this for any level of temple...


    I think that temples are a cool addition to the city building side of the game, but construction time keeps the multiple options provided by temples locked.


    Cheers! And keep up the great work you are doing!

  5. #2165

    Default Re: Fans suggestion thread for future releases

    I don't know how possible it is to make a major AI change like this, but I've found something deeply unsatisfying whenever I fight an enemy state with access to any sort of phalanx unit. The computer usually likes to pivot its line at the start of a battle, and doesn't think to keep the army together. Since those phalanxes are slow, they lag behind the rest of the forces when it goes off somewhere. Since the're vulnerable to the sides and rear, my skirmishers and cavalry make mincemeat of them, surrounded and alone. Then, without a super-heavy infantry core to anchor their line, by the time we do engage with heavy infantry, they're too weak to resist me. This has literally happened every single time I've fought a large open field battle against anyone who uses those unit classes, and it's turning my current game (Playing Ptolemoi, early game starting by an offensive into the Selucids) into something of a bad joke. It's 8 turns in and I've slaughtered about 1/4 of their troops according to the graphs and seized 5 provinces.

    Now, granted, I'm playing on H/M, and I could probably up the difficulty, and lets' be honest, we all expect to outmaneuver the computer on the field of battle on a fairly consistent basis. But the perennial mishandling of this unit class is something that's a real problem, IMO, especially given how prevalent the Diodochi factions are and how critical these pikemen are for their armies.

  6. #2166
    Marvzilla's Avatar Senator
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    North-Rhine Westphalia,Germany.
    Posts
    1,043

    Default Re: Fans suggestion thread for future releases

    Some observations playing my latest Nabatu campaign:

    A very minor thing, are fleets in the Indian Ocean. As a player I can only recruit Afluku, Arabian Tradefleets, or their Indian equivalents. That's fine, but the Pirate fleets really mess my fleets up until I get double their numbers. I don't know if this was a historical danger, if there were faster moving pirates disrupting trade there but yeah.
    Dont know if this is fixable or just by chance, but cavalry is very finicky I noticed again. I charged a unit of Akontistai head on with my Hellenic Cataphracts before they could throw and lost three men in that charge. Sure I broke them soon after with that alone but there shouldn't be any casualties. Same with other cavalry in melee against skirmishers, I lose quite the amount of cavalry unless I cycle charge.
    Raiding is either acting weird or I am an idiot, because sometimes it works, and other times it doesn't. Do I have to have a certain amount of units ? Do I have to stand on certain tiles ? Do I have to border a province ? Do some traits make it impossible for a character to raid ? Those were all problems I ran into as Nabatu, not being able to raid the rebel province of Hadramaut but having no problem with the rebel province of Maka which I didn't border.

  7. #2167

    Default Re: Fans suggestion thread for future releases

    Hi there i just make a new account so i could ask several question here in eb2. It's been a fun experience and i would definitely say this mod has the best roleplay and army and government building experience out of suprisingly every game i played.

    First is Roman provincia, i can build this anywhere just fine (even in bosporus, gaetulia and phasania!) but then i take egypt and Alexandria and that city below Memphis i cannot build it. Is this a bug or it's intentional i cannot build roman provincia everywhere?

    Second is foriegn military colony, used by hellen and eastern alike for recruitment boost however it cannot be built in hellen metropolis. This is fine as hellenic but as eastern it become troublesome seeing hayastan cannot bulid the colony which is ironic because hayastan can only build tier 3 colony in hayastan version of royal satrapy or philhellenic satrapy.

    And third is question concerning parthian government building. After reform you can only build satrapy or royal satrapy in certain province while the rest you have to make due with border march(which provide medicore both infrastructure and military option) however if the settlement have hellenestic polis you could make philhellene satrapy which provide superior infrastructure and military option(including recieving 2 iranian catrapacht for each like satrapy) My question are Parthia playstyle supposed to heavily benefited from conquest to hellenic territory because you can build philhelene satrapy as supposed of border march?

  8. #2168
    Gigantus's Avatar You should always listen to your inner voice! - Agreed, but which one?
    Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Goa - India
    Posts
    50,309
    Blog Entries
    28

    Default Re: Fans suggestion thread for future releases

    Quote Originally Posted by Marvzilla View Post
    Some observations playing my latest Nabatu campaign:

    A very minor thing, are fleets in the Indian Ocean. As a player I can only recruit Afluku, Arabian Tradefleets, or their Indian equivalents. That's fine, but the Pirate fleets really mess my fleets up until I get double their numbers. I don't know if this was a historical danger, if there were faster moving pirates disrupting trade there but yeah.
    That will be the generic pirates that are the same all over the map, unfortunately fleets are not flexible (unlike armies that can be varied for each region) in descr_rebel_factions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marvzilla View Post
    Raiding is either acting weird or I am an idiot, because sometimes it works, and other times it doesn't. Do I have to have a certain amount of units ? Do I have to stand on certain tiles ? Do I have to border a province ? Do some traits make it impossible for a character to raid ? Those were all problems I ran into as Nabatu, not being able to raid the rebel province of Hadramaut but having no problem with the rebel province of Maka which I didn't border.
    If memory serves you need to stand on the same spot in enemy lands for a full term before you are credited, it's based on the devastation principle.




  9. #2169

    Default Re: Fans suggestion thread for future releases

    Based on my testing to trigger the devastation bonus terrain type matters. I don't have the exact results handy but if I recall correctly the terrain needs to be either medium or high fertility or I think swamp works. Must have a general in the stack, must be at war with the owner of the province. Once you move to a tile you need to remain there for at least one turn without moving. If you have a small stack and its high fertility you can sometimes get multiple turns of devastation before you have to move again.

  10. #2170
    Gigantus's Avatar You should always listen to your inner voice! - Agreed, but which one?
    Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Goa - India
    Posts
    50,309
    Blog Entries
    28

    Default Re: Fans suggestion thread for future releases

    Terrain doesn't matter - all other points do. Treasury levels play a role as well as do number of owned settlements. Some factions like Parthia loose the ability when they 'settle down'. Notification is a one time event.
    Code:
        ; === Devastation Money Bonus ===
    
        ; Money bonus for devastating tiles on the map
    
        ; Aedui
    
        monitor_event GeneralDevastatesTile FactionType f_aedui
            and Treasury < 30000
            and AgentType = named character
            if not I_IsFactionAIControlled f_aedui
                and I_EventCounter HE_DEVASTATE < 1         ; not been notified before
                historic_event HE_DEVASTATE factions { f_aedui, }
            end_if
            if I_NumberOfSettlements f_aedui < 11   ; less then 10 settlements
                add_money f_aedui 800
            end_if
        end_monitor
    
        ; Parthia
    
        monitor_event GeneralDevastatesTile FactionType f_parthia
            and Treasury < 30000
            and AgentType = named character
            if I_EventCounter ecParthia_Imperial > 0 ; settling reform has taken place
                terminate_monitor
            end_if
            if not I_IsFactionAIControlled f_parthia
                and I_EventCounter HE_DEVASTATE < 1         ; not been notified before
                historic_event HE_DEVASTATE factions { f_parthia, }
            end_if
            if I_NumberOfSettlements f_parthia < 11   ; less then 10 settlements
                add_money f_parthia 800
            end_if
        end_monitor




  11. #2171

    Default Re: Fans suggestion thread for future releases

    I should have been clearer. Again based on my testing, the monitor:
    monitor_event GeneralDevastatesTile

    only seems to trigger on certain terrain types. It also seems to be related to the amount of devastation already present in the area, hence if you use a small stack on a high fertility tile you can get multiple turns of bonus without having to move to a new tile.

  12. #2172
    Gigantus's Avatar You should always listen to your inner voice! - Agreed, but which one?
    Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Goa - India
    Posts
    50,309
    Blog Entries
    28

    Default Re: Fans suggestion thread for future releases

    I can't confirm the terrain type issue, I do however remember a stack hidden in forest just outside my territory causing devastation in my region.
    I had set up a playable horde to test it's functionality and stuck the lonely general on a far island in the Arabian Sea. That resulted in regions being devastated on the Arabian Peninsula after a while! I think it got circumvented by setting that faction at neutral with every other faction.
    Lift the FoW and see if he is still there

    In this case getting money for the devastation always requires a named character, and will get a message only once, whereas devastation itself will happen regardless if the army is led by a named character. The message can be set to repeating by commenting out the 'and I_EventCounter' lines which will make it easier to test.
    The visible devastation can mislead, it does not expand by volume afaik, eg each turn adds the same amount of surface, but rather 'centric', eg a constant amount of radius increase and the number of units in a stack does not make a difference either, see above mentioning.




  13. #2173

    Default Re: Fans suggestion thread for future releases

    My suggestions:

    1. Make the player's own armies to cause devastation when in player-owned provinces - not just in enemy territory. I think that this makes sense, because an army, even if it was on home ground did cause devastation as soldiers gathered food and other supplies. The logistics of an army were difficult and required a lot of resources.

    2. Generally, increase the devastation level. This will stimulate the player to actively chase minor rebel armies.

    3. If possible, make rebel armies target province buildings and resources like mines, ports, roads, and industries. If the rebel army stays on such buildings for X turns, eliminate the income that the building generates for the town. For example, if a rebel stack stays on a mine - eliminate the mine income to the town (give it to the rebel faction).

    4. Perhaps make a character trait (Logistician) to allow a general not to cause devastation on own territory. Give this trait to all rebel generals.

  14. #2174
    Gigantus's Avatar You should always listen to your inner voice! - Agreed, but which one?
    Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Goa - India
    Posts
    50,309
    Blog Entries
    28

    Default Re: Fans suggestion thread for future releases

    1. & 4. Technically not possible - it's hard coded that devastation only happens outside your own region.
    2. There are modifiers that can do the job.
    3. Occupying a port's land part is the same as a naval blockade, in fact it has the same 'siege' model elements and you loose that income. I don't think rebels on roads interrupt land trade though. mine income - not possible to influence through 'occupation'. Wouldn't even know where to start scripting for the presence or how to give income the slave faction in such a situation.




  15. #2175

    Default Re: Fans suggestion thread for future releases

    fat soldiers

  16. #2176

    Default Re: Fans suggestion thread for future releases

    Please consider toning down the Hellenic Vices category of traits. I understand that they add a great sense of historical accuracy and immersion, since they're supposedly based off of ancient documents outlining vices and virtues, but they absolutely tank the influence and public order of Hellenic FMs. Cultural conversion is already hard enough with colony points being limited in number, but with these vices combined with the omnipresent Diopater Basilikos make it nearly impossible. You don't have to get rid of them, just reduce the probability of triggering. Or make them inaccessible to Unselfish characters, giving the player control on whether he/she wants realistic/flawed FMs or effective FMs.

    Also shoutout to whoever conceptualized Pleading With His Erestos. Apparently begging your older mentor for sex was a thing. Sounds hot.

  17. #2177
    Roma_Victrix's Avatar I am your sovereign now
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    14,483

    Default Re: Fans suggestion thread for future releases

    Is anyone else seeing the Chatti youth running and fleeing just a little too fast on the battlefield for one to suspend disbelief? Like, they shouldn't be able to outrun light cavalry. There were no humans with supernatural strength and stamina to consistently outrun a horse, and certainly not a stampeding group of cavalrymen.

    Also, this is less a complaint and more of an observation: the AI for whatever reason not only loves to target Thracian Peltasts, but does so in a manner that is stupidly suicidal to the point of putting all their effort into killing that one unit, the entirety of the battle around them be damned. LOL. Like, Jesus Christ, they are effective skirmishers, but they're not THAT much of a threat to the AI, right? The metaphor "cutting off your nose to spite your face" is somewhat fitting here, because the AI just abandons all reason and other concerns to target that one unit if you have it. It just cannot wait to kill your Thraikioi peltastai, and only your Thraikioi peltastai, and pathetically/hilariously lose every other engagement while doing so. Did you guys deliberately program that? Is that a hardcoded thing with medium peltasts? I don't see the game behaving idiotically like that against Hellenistic Euzonoi or those Celtic skirmishers.

  18. #2178
    Antiokhos Euergetes's Avatar Primicerius
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Antiokheia
    Posts
    3,580

    Default Re: Fans suggestion thread for future releases

    Quote Originally Posted by Shoebopp View Post
    Please consider toning down the Hellenic Vices category of traits. I understand that they add a great sense of historical accuracy and immersion, since they're supposedly based off of ancient documents outlining vices and virtues, but they absolutely tank the influence and public order of Hellenic FMs. Cultural conversion is already hard enough with colony points being limited in number, but with these vices combined with the omnipresent Diopater Basilikos make it nearly impossible. You don't have to get rid of them, just reduce the probability of triggering. Or make them inaccessible to Unselfish characters, giving the player control on whether he/she wants realistic/flawed FMs or effective FMs.

    Also shoutout to whoever conceptualized Pleading With His Erestos. Apparently begging your older mentor for sex was a thing. Sounds hot.
    You might mention the written sources, but the little extant material usually comes from a pro-Roman source.
    Last edited by Antiokhos Euergetes; December 05, 2020 at 07:13 PM.

  19. #2179
    Grimmy's Avatar Ordinarius
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Where I'm at.
    Posts
    785

    Default Re: Fans suggestion thread for future releases

    Donno if this has been suggested yet or not but...

    Imo, the school line of buildings should have a small +law and some small cultural conversion added to them.

    Reasoning:

    The schools wouldn't just be for FM. The upper class boys and young men would be going too. They learn the ways of their culture and the laws therein along with all the other stuff.

    So, if the schools are built in a newly conquered area, the boys and young men are going to the schools to learn the ways and laws of the new culture.

  20. #2180

    Default Re: Fans suggestion thread for future releases

    The cultural conversion is a non-starter; buildings can only have one culture.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •