Page 104 of 106 FirstFirst ... 45479949596979899100101102103104105106 LastLast
Results 2,061 to 2,080 of 2108

Thread: Fans suggestion thread for future releases

Lusitanio's Avatar Content Staff

Default Re: Fans suggestion thread for future releases

Quote Originally Posted by Kilo11 View Post
    I understand all those points about the raiding mechanic. My suggestion was about having raids conducted in the position of buildings that are pictured on the strat map to also potentially damage those buildings. This would place a greater premium on guarding certain things like mines or wonders, which makes historical sense, and adds a level of roleplaying to this already awesome mod. To be sure, I am not saying there is anything at all wrong with the current raiding mechanic. My point is that it seems like it might be cool to develop that mechanic a little more, and have it impact the buildings in a settlement as well (if such a thing is possible). I'd be very interested to hear Quintus' thoughts on whether such a suggestion is even remotely feasible, as I have no idea what things can be tracked and what console commands can be executed via script.
    It's an interesting suggestion indeed

Antiokhos Euergetes's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    We don't use PSFs in greater numbers because it messes with the CAI. The AI thinks they're proper settlements and focuses on them to the exclusion of actually defending their proper settlements.
    Thank you for your answer. Would you happen to know where I might find out how to do this myself? Just a few

Lusitanio's Avatar Content Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Antiokhos Euergetes View Post
    Thank you for your answer. Would you happen to know where I might find out how to do this myself? Just a few
    I can help you. I added some PSFs on my own build some time ago.

I have been playing as epirus and emigrated to scicily before expanding outwards. I have noticed that there is not a significant benefit to upgrading native colonies to the second level. It adds one free upkeep space and 1 recruitment slot but no increase in troops available. This is true in italy and spain. Level 3 does increase recruitment to 3 units of each troop type so is more worthwhile. Pre -polyibian reforms this was not true and only added one level of renumerated spearman (in italy, cant remember what the case in spain was pre reforms there). I would suggest there should be a more tangible benefit for upgrading the colonies maybe? It does not seem financially worthwhile at the moment.

QuintusSertorius's Avatar EBII Hod Carrier
    Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by sigurdr View Post
    I have been playing as epirus and emigrated to scicily before expanding outwards. I have noticed that there is not a significant benefit to upgrading native colonies to the second level. It adds one free upkeep space and 1 recruitment slot but no increase in troops available. This is true in italy and spain. Level 3 does increase recruitment to 3 units of each troop type so is more worthwhile. Pre -polyibian reforms this was not true and only added one level of renumerated spearman (in italy, cant remember what the case in spain was pre reforms there). I would suggest there should be a more tangible benefit for upgrading the colonies maybe? It does not seem financially worthwhile at the moment.
    Native colonies have been completely re-written in the patch. There's a more tangible benefit of upgrading, they go from 6 to 8 to 12 point pools. It does mean there's less in the first tier, but given you don't have to invest anything to get them besides the cost (and the opportunity cost of blocking other types of colonisation), I think that's fair.

will the next version of the mod be an independent installer or a patch for the 2.35 version?

Unless something big changes, it'll be a patch over 2.35.

Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by sarpedon21 View Post
    will the next version of the mod be an independent installer or a patch for the 2.35 version?
    This:

Quote Originally Posted by Sar1n View Post
    Unless something big changes, it'll be a patch over 2.35.
    Patch over 2.35. Which means if your game is currently installed in Program Files or Program Files (x86) the patch probably won't work.

I think either Kardakes need a buff or Parthian spearmen need a debuff. It is kinda awkward to see a unit that is supposed to have such an elan be worse in all ways (including sheer numbers) to the bottom of the barrel that Parthia has to offer, being an overwhelmingly horseman nation. I get that they are still meant to be worse than the Regalin (which I like, as of right now), and the only actual line-holding infantry that you can recruit in Persia proper, but compared to the very decent assault Iranian axemen you get from the area (with decent pools, to top it off), that can also hold a line in virtue of their good morale and attack power, the Kardakes end up pretty faded.

Quote Originally Posted by Lusitanio View Post
    I can help you. I added some PSFs on my own build some time ago.
    That would definitely be great, thanks. Have you played the Great Conflicts mod?

Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by RodriguesSting View Post
    I think either Kardakes need a buff or Parthian spearmen need a debuff. It is kinda awkward to see a unit that is supposed to have such an elan be worse in all ways (including sheer numbers) to the bottom of the barrel that Parthia has to offer, being an overwhelmingly horseman nation. I get that they are still meant to be worse than the Regalin (which I like, as of right now), and the only actual line-holding infantry that you can recruit in Persia proper, but compared to the very decent assault Iranian axemen you get from the area (with decent pools, to top it off), that can also hold a line in virtue of their good morale and attack power, the Kardakes end up pretty faded.
    Parthian Spearmen have been downgraded in the patch.

It's so good to hear this masterpiece is evolving further

Is the music changed in any way, or more songs added?

I think it would be extremely helpful to illustrate, on the region description "building", what "Greater Region" it is part of, namely because said regions are referenced in certain traits (like Roman Provincial Governor) and, most importantly, mercenary pools. Knowing which settlements encompass a region and which doesn't on only a look would be extremely helpful. Kinda like the green books from a certain other mod here.

Furthermore, how about adding some faction-exclusive pools to the mercs? That would be mighty helpful for factions that really need their mercs (namely, Gauls) but have to buy them before an invading army does (least this is the intention).
    Last edited by RodriguesSting; July 10, 2020 at 10:32 PM.

Artifex

I think it would be extremely helpful to illustrate, on the region description "building", what "Greater Region" it is part of, namely because said regions are referenced in certain traits (like Roman Provincial Governor) and, most importantly, mercenary pools. Knowing which settlements encompass a region and which doesn't on only a look would be extremely helpful. Kinda like the green books from a certain other mod here.
    If someone wants to start writing them up, we could add them. But I'm afraid the team has more than enough to do without adding a labour-intensive task like this to the list. Bearing in mind all those things you mentioned have different groupings.

Furthermore, how about adding some faction-exclusive pools to the mercs? That would be mighty helpful for factions that really need their mercs (namely, Gauls) but have to buy them before an invading army does (least this is the intention).
    Not possible, I'm afraid. The only differentiation the descr_mercenaries allows is by religion (ie culture in our case). That's how we excluded the Rebels from hiring mercs.

I think it shouldn't be changed anyway. Bands of armed men tend to need something to do and if you're not paying them they'll flock to your foes.
    ORANGE MAN BAD

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    Not possible, I'm afraid. The only differentiation the descr_mercenaries allows is by religion (ie culture in our case). That's how we excluded the Rebels from hiring mercs.
    Not really, event triggers and crusading function are also allowed.

Gigantus's Avatar I am thinking more about running away now then I did as a kid, but by the time I put my teeth in, my glasses on and find my car keys I forget why I am going.
    Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Modding Emeritus

Blog Entries

You can use event triggers to enable mercenaries, unfortunately once enabled that way they can't be disabled by resetting the counter (unlike in EDB or script), unlike the crusading trigger.

Do you mean particular bands of mercenaries like the Catalans? Not that I recall anything from the original media game, just assumed they must of featured

Artifex

Sorry, I wasn't very clear. I meant the only faction-like differentiation is by religion.

Indeed, there are other types available, we used date-triggers extensively.

So with my new experience playing Baktria, and added knowledge of the recruitment situation in Asia with the Parthians, I decided to give another shot to the Ptolemaioi. After all, I said somewhere else that Native Governments are a boon to Hellenic factions to supplement their mediocre infantry recruitment and bad cavalry options and recruitment. That's true enough in Asia. Egypt is a whole different matter.The machimoi are, for the most part, not a good addition to your army. They may work as a substitute, for you to build cheap, relatively functional armies quickly, like Carthage, but they add very little to Hellenic armies.

That's because, for the most part, their units are already Hellenic style, thus making them redundant. The de facto Machimoi are defensive spearmen competing directly with Hoplitai Haploi, having notably better defense and morale, but even lower offensive power. The Machimoi Akontistai is just a worse version of the Hellenic, but at least cheaper. Their only units that compare positively to the Hellenic roster are Machimoi Toxotai (bettermissile, melee, and decent morale) and Machimoi Hippeis (despite the name, competes with the Hippoakontistai, having better armor and shield, and 2 morale means they can actually engage on melee without immediately routing, being slightly more expensive and having marginally worse Defense Skill, while keeping the Armor Piercing swords). However, despite not being better than their Hellenic Counterparts, one unit shines through: the Machimoi Phalangitai, being pretty decent phalanxes overall to pad up your lines when you can't get enough of the Hellenic stuff.

Despite their tactical mediocrity, though, with Epistateia epi Laous and Native Colony 3, these units get pools get big enough (in comparison to the Hellenic's "hardly-above-3") to have some real strategic value. The humble Machimoi, for example, get up to 5, which lends to them some real Meat Shield potential. Same can be said for most of the other Machimois, except for the Phalangitai that never goes above 3 (and only with Native Colony 3), which is an bit of a problem in my opinion, because...

The de-facto developed Egypt regions (Alexandria, Thebes, and Memphis) get some pretty nice exclusive goodies from Hellenic Colonization, Poleis, and Government. Thracian colonists, Egyptian Colonist Cavalry, and... good access to Phalangitai. The real deal.

So over all, the Machimoi roster doesn't do much for the Ptolemaioi tactically, and its strategic value is wasted away because the Phalangitai numbers are low (4 would be a good number in the current pools setup, in my opinion) and they have to compete with exclusive Hellenistic options in the area.

Now, though... you can also get this stuff from "far" Egypt (the small, under-developed provinces), Kush, Ethiopia, and Libia without having to compete with exclusive Hellenic options. If that's persuasive enough as an argument to keep the pools unchanged, though, I personally don't think so.

PS: This can probably be interpreted more as an issue of "Hellenic Factions don't get much out of Laarchia in Egypt" rather than a Ptolemaioi exclusive problem. They are the only ones that can build Laarchia as far as Carthage heartlands, getting access to everything in between.
    Last edited by RodriguesSting; July 13, 2020 at 12:22 PM.