Page 103 of 127 FirstFirst ... 3537893949596979899100101102103104105106107108109110111112113 ... LastLast
Results 2,041 to 2,060 of 2522

Thread: Fans suggestion thread for future releases

Default Re: Fans suggestion thread for future releases

Quote Originally Posted by Satapatiš View Post
    I think that Epeiros could use a line of traits and maybe a scripted revolt or two to reflect how weak was position of a king in this so-called monarchy.

Do something that the three tribes might dislike with not enough Authority on the faction leader and you have to deal with the upheaval...
    There are the early events like the Illyrian pirate raids which simulate some of that.

We could potentially do something with Authority-linked unrest, though that will all need to be factored into the new political setup for the faction.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellenikon View Post
    I've been reading about hellenistic naval warfare and it seems to me that the mod is missing an important aspect, that is already reflected with elephants.
    Several times ships were captured in a enemy city, and that gave a huge advantage to the victor. Because ships were extremely expensive, so capturing them in good condition was a great boom. The huge fleet of Demetrios was in part captured by Lysimachus (Pella) and possibly Ptolemy (Ephesus). The Rhodians also had conditions with their allied cities that any ship captured would be theirs to keep.

I suggest that a script should be added like the elephant/phalangite one, where a victorious admiral has a chance to capture warships from a defeated enemy. It could be random, or perhaps linked to his command ability. It shouldn't replace building your own fleets, just being a bonus. In addition, if there is a way to check for fleets inside a port, those should have a chance to be captured once a city is taken. If that is too complicated, then just a chance to capture a ship based on the port level/city size.
    It's a nice idea, but because naval battles are always auto-resolved, I don't think we'll have the counter necessary to flag that a certain type of ship was present, like we do with elephants and phalanxes. It would end up being a very abstrated thing of "won a naval battle, random chance of spawning a fleet somewhere".

I don't think you can check whether a fleet is in port.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellenikon View Post
    I think Pontos gets too many hellenistic units, due to stacking their government and poleis recruitment. One example is hippomachoi, which doubles the unit pool (0.4 polis + 0.4 government), while other factions like Pergamon are pure hellenistic and much nearby, and get a lesser pool size. IMO Pontus should only have native units (anatolian/persian) from their governments, and hellenistic units from the poleis/colonies.

The exception would be the basilike patris, which could represent the hellenized court, but the rest of the kingdom should be dominated by native units. I also unsure why galatians feature so prominently, almost like native units. I think they should be roughly on par with hellenistic regarding their availability, and not given in so many numbers. Mithridates VI didn't have a good relation with the galatians, he annexed half their land and then betrayed the families for cash.

IMO Pontos should excel on cavalry but have a weakness similar to Armenia (but less extreme), getting solid native infantry. That could be accessed through hellenistic colonies or in galatia proper, but these infantry units shouldn't be plenty or easy to obtain. The player should have plenty of native anatolian/persian infantry and few of the hellenistic/galatian ones, the later ones should never as plentiful as the former.
    Pontos has native pools the same as anyone else in this regard - what you're noticing is that the Anatolian pools are strongly Hellenistic in their composition. As an example, Akontistai are used as "Mysian Tribesman".

While Mithridates VI had trouble with Galatians, earlier Pontic rulers made heavy usage of them. Their inclusion in so many pools is not a coincidence.

Quote Originally Posted by Bast39 View Post
    Playing as Hayastan, I noticed a small error in the Mazaka revolt script that triggers when the player builds a factional government after choosing to support the independence of Cappadocia. The eleutheroi army spawns in the river, thus being impossible to attack to break the siege. I had a similar problem with the galatian stacks raiding Pergamon, one of my army was on the spawn point and the raiders thus appeared in the river nearby. This could be fixed by moving the spawn point further away from inaccessible terrain.

I want to add that this mod is amazing! Can't wait for the next patch with all the new content.
    I've moved the spawn point in the patch, it's an unfortunate location in that the river loops around the settlement which halves the number of potential spawn points if the designated one is already filled.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoebopp View Post
    The Numidian Reforms take too long, and in the meantime the player is limited to a pittance of construction options and severe cultural incompatibility with Iberian and Carthaginian settlements. The reform requirements also are made worse by the scripted earthquake at Sigan that kills 200 people, setting back the attainment of Large Camp by dozens of turns. A possible solution is to lax the requirements to only necessitate converting the starting Numidian camp into a settlement. After all, you start out with one family member with Superior Builder, and he can only govern the starting camp without causing tribal unrest.

The fun part though is gobbling up Carthaginian settlements through diplomacy, and scrambling to find role-playing reasons for the acquisitions. Then you can sit back for 150 odd turns for the reforms while watching Carthage send stack after stack east to fight in the Great Desert Wars
    We're looking at the Numidian reform, but changes are more likely to come with 2.4 and a more thorough revamp of the faction.

Antiokhos Euergetes's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I enjoy the game enormously no doubt, I congratulate you all. Thank you. If I were to offer any suggestions, as I have, they are without a doubt always aimed at the Hellenistic campaigns. Unashamedly, it is what I enjoy. Perhaps the Pentapolis of Seleukid Syria better represented than just Antihokeia, perhaps by psfs? I know there are other such examples of key poleis/polities that, of course cannot, all be on the map. I would throw in Lysimacheia too and perhaps others on islands that represent Ptolemaic naval bases in Aegean?
    A way to subdivide larger territories, like the psfs used for 'wonders', therefore can conquere parts of example Karia or coastal Ionian poleis
    Last edited by Antiokhos Euergetes; June 17, 2020 at 02:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Antiokhos Euergetes View Post
    I enjoy the game enormously no doubt, I congratulate you all. Thank you. If I were to offer any suggestions, as I have, they are without a doubt always aimed at the Hellenistic campaigns. Unashamedly, it is what I enjoy. Perhaps the Pentapolis of Seleukid Syria better represented than just Antihokeia, perhaps by psfs? I know there are other such examples of key poleis/polities that, of course cannot, all be on the map. I would throw in Lysimacheia too and perhaps others on islands that represent Ptolemaic naval bases in Aegean?
    A way to subdivide larger territories, like the psfs used for 'wonders', therefore can conquere parts of example Karia or coastal Ionian poleis
    We don't use PSFs in greater numbers because it messes with the CAI. The AI thinks they're proper settlements and focuses on them to the exclusion of actually defending their proper settlements.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    I see 5 major gameplay problems concerning the PSFs (and actually any forts):
    1. AI is absolutely broken concerning the defence of the main settlements - it leaves them empty, concentrating troops in the PSFs.
    2. However, it cannot use forts strategically in the way the player can. I doesn't use the forts to block the player advances to buy time for the reserves to come. It also leaves forts from time to time (it doesn't stay in fort, it moves out and in).
    3. While on the offensive, the AI sieges the PSFs instead of the settlements, and breaks these sieges very often. The result is: a player can dupe the AI easily into endless sieges.
    4. The number of siege battles is high with the PSFs. The chrome of PSFs (especially the named ones) is nice, but it's a nightmare to play mods with them (I’ve got experience from DLV with PSFs, but also with buildable forts from the SS-HURB). You're bogged down in hundreds of irrelevant sieges.
    5. Western Europe is already littered with settlments, so PSFs woudl limit the tactical movements even more (the play style would go towards that awful Rome 2 or Attila: you sit in a settlement and jump to another settlment).
    x) If the buildable forts are additionaly related with the free_upkeep then an exploit is possible: you farm the forts to keep your whole army without paying upkeep (it was the case of the HURB).

Building off of Antiokhos' thoughts above, I wonder if there is maybe a way to make it so campaign map devastation could be reflected in the settlement itself... Like, my thought is as follows:

A rebel or enemy army sits on the tile where the Mausoleum of Halicarnassus is located.
    That tile becomes devastated.
    By doing something clever in the campaign.script, you record that this tile has been devastated
    Then you have a console command fire that damages the wonder building in the settlement in which the Mausoleum can be found.

Would such a thing be possible? If so, it would be a really cool way to allow the player to make some strategic choices on the campaign map. For one, it would place some value on harrassing enemy territories, which now is something that is a nuisance, at best. But with such a mechanic in place, one could really damage the enemy just by hanging around their territories in key locations. This would also make the human player more incentivized to deal with small rebel stacks roaming in your lands.
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

I would tend to disagree on devastation beeing a nuisance, 1000 gold worth of devastation income loss because you ignored a roving rebel stack or an enemy stack is something that can very quickly stack up and if combined with low corruption management it can turn border marches or far flung teritorries into money sink just to have defendable borders showing that such land is hard to control and often costs more than it's worth without sufficient infrastructures or just beeing far to your administrative (and by extension recruitement) centers. what you describe would result in just garrisoning forts and occasionaly paring for repairs from your capital every couple of turn.
    What you mentionned about damaging the enemy with raiding parties is already in place raiding (if you have under 10 settlements IIRC) can get you up to 800 gold per raiding hosts and leaves costly and lasting (couple of turns) devastation on the province raided.

I understand all those points about the raiding mechanic. My suggestion was about having raids conducted in the position of buildings that are pictured on the strat map to also potentially damage those buildings. This would place a greater premium on guarding certain things like mines or wonders, which makes historical sense, and adds a level of roleplaying to this already awesome mod. To be sure, I am not saying there is anything at all wrong with the current raiding mechanic. My point is that it seems like it might be cool to develop that mechanic a little more, and have it impact the buildings in a settlement as well (if such a thing is possible). I'd be very interested to hear Quintus' thoughts on whether such a suggestion is even remotely feasible, as I have no idea what things can be tracked and what console commands can be executed via script.
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

I've noticed Hellenic factions have no theatres to build.

Hellas, why u no theater?

What's your Hellenism good for without Aristophanes and Menander?
    Furthermore, I believe that Rome must be destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilo11 View Post
    I understand all those points about the raiding mechanic. My suggestion was about having raids conducted in the position of buildings that are pictured on the strat map to also potentially damage those buildings. This would place a greater premium on guarding certain things like mines or wonders, which makes historical sense, and adds a level of roleplaying to this already awesome mod. To be sure, I am not saying there is anything at all wrong with the current raiding mechanic. My point is that it seems like it might be cool to develop that mechanic a little more, and have it impact the buildings in a settlement as well (if such a thing is possible). I'd be very interested to hear Quintus' thoughts on whether such a suggestion is even remotely feasible, as I have no idea what things can be tracked and what console commands can be executed via script.
    It's an interesting suggestion indeed

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    We don't use PSFs in greater numbers because it messes with the CAI. The AI thinks they're proper settlements and focuses on them to the exclusion of actually defending their proper settlements.
    Thank you for your answer. Would you happen to know where I might find out how to do this myself? Just a few

Quote Originally Posted by Antiokhos Euergetes View Post
    Thank you for your answer. Would you happen to know where I might find out how to do this myself? Just a few
    I can help you. I added some PSFs on my own build some time ago.

I have been playing as epirus and emigrated to scicily before expanding outwards. I have noticed that there is not a significant benefit to upgrading native colonies to the second level. It adds one free upkeep space and 1 recruitment slot but no increase in troops available. This is true in italy and spain. Level 3 does increase recruitment to 3 units of each troop type so is more worthwhile. Pre -polyibian reforms this was not true and only added one level of renumerated spearman (in italy, cant remember what the case in spain was pre reforms there). I would suggest there should be a more tangible benefit for upgrading the colonies maybe? It does not seem financially worthwhile at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by sigurdr View Post
    I have been playing as epirus and emigrated to scicily before expanding outwards. I have noticed that there is not a significant benefit to upgrading native colonies to the second level. It adds one free upkeep space and 1 recruitment slot but no increase in troops available. This is true in italy and spain. Level 3 does increase recruitment to 3 units of each troop type so is more worthwhile. Pre -polyibian reforms this was not true and only added one level of renumerated spearman (in italy, cant remember what the case in spain was pre reforms there). I would suggest there should be a more tangible benefit for upgrading the colonies maybe? It does not seem financially worthwhile at the moment.
    Native colonies have been completely re-written in the patch. There's a more tangible benefit of upgrading, they go from 6 to 8 to 12 point pools. It does mean there's less in the first tier, but given you don't have to invest anything to get them besides the cost (and the opportunity cost of blocking other types of colonisation), I think that's fair.

will the next version of the mod be an independent installer or a patch for the 2.35 version?

Unless something big changes, it'll be a patch over 2.35.

Quote Originally Posted by sarpedon21 View Post
    will the next version of the mod be an independent installer or a patch for the 2.35 version?
    This:

Quote Originally Posted by Sar1n View Post
    Unless something big changes, it'll be a patch over 2.35.
    Patch over 2.35. Which means if your game is currently installed in Program Files or Program Files (x86) the patch probably won't work.

I think either Kardakes need a buff or Parthian spearmen need a debuff. It is kinda awkward to see a unit that is supposed to have such an elan be worse in all ways (including sheer numbers) to the bottom of the barrel that Parthia has to offer, being an overwhelmingly horseman nation. I get that they are still meant to be worse than the Regalin (which I like, as of right now), and the only actual line-holding infantry that you can recruit in Persia proper, but compared to the very decent assault Iranian axemen you get from the area (with decent pools, to top it off), that can also hold a line in virtue of their good morale and attack power, the Kardakes end up pretty faded.

Quote Originally Posted by Lusitanio View Post
    I can help you. I added some PSFs on my own build some time ago.
    That would definitely be great, thanks. Have you played the Great Conflicts mod?

Quote Originally Posted by RodriguesSting View Post
    I think either Kardakes need a buff or Parthian spearmen need a debuff. It is kinda awkward to see a unit that is supposed to have such an elan be worse in all ways (including sheer numbers) to the bottom of the barrel that Parthia has to offer, being an overwhelmingly horseman nation. I get that they are still meant to be worse than the Regalin (which I like, as of right now), and the only actual line-holding infantry that you can recruit in Persia proper, but compared to the very decent assault Iranian axemen you get from the area (with decent pools, to top it off), that can also hold a line in virtue of their good morale and attack power, the Kardakes end up pretty faded.
    Parthian Spearmen have been downgraded in the patch.

It's so good to hear this masterpiece is evolving further

Is the music changed in any way, or more songs added?