Page 12 of 127 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021223762112 ... LastLast

Thread: Fans suggestion thread for future releases

Default Re: Fans suggestion thread for future releases

If you make them that small bodyguards would be very risky to use with little reward in it and it makes sense using them in a lot of factions.
    They are already like a third-half of a normal unit at best.

We will either find a way, or make one.

We're not changing the size of bodyguard units.

delra's Avatar Praepositus

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...3-2-compatible

Could add Allied Fort and Allied Allies to EB2's forced diplomacy... Not sure about Ally Invade.

Another fun idea from SS: When you had certain elite units accompany your FM, there'd be a chance one of them joins him as an ancillary, boosting certain stats. So for example, if you'd have Templar Knights in your army, you'd get a templar as an ancillary and advisor to the general, and that'd boost his command and piety.

Could be done for certain very elite units in EB2 as well. Spartans for example.

Quote Originally Posted by delra View Post
    Another fun idea from SS: When you had certain elite units accompany your FM, there'd be a chance one of them joins him as an ancillary, boosting certain stats. So for example, if you'd have Templar Knights in your army, you'd get a templar as an ancillary and advisor to the general, and that'd boost his command and piety.

Could be done for certain very elite units in EB2 as well. Spartans for example.
    b0Gia's submod has something very similar, at least for the Hellenistic factions thus far.

Should assimilate it then. :-)

I'd like to see more unique units for factions
    The troop selction altough a great number gets tedious after a while, the greeks all have troops the same, Hellenistic League, doesn't even have spartan elites, or myrmidons for Makedon, things like that, to make the gameplay a little bit more personal.
    Pergamon due to the lack of unique units just feels like Hellenistic League with a different flag.

"It lights the dark of this prison cell, It thunders forth its might, It is 'the undauntable thought', my friend, That thought that says 'I'm right!" -Bobby sands

or myrmidons for Makedon
    Ugh. Who wants to tell him? :-D

I wonder if its possible for the AI to identify and destroy the military buildings and governments of a settlement, especially if it formerly belonged to you?

One of the player's advantages of EB is that they don't have to worry about building a new MIC if an enemy faction manages to conquer one of their settlements and government as the AI would just let them be.

Biarchus

We don't really have MIC's though in EB2. Troops come from government buildings, polis and settler colony's, indigenous or factional. And government's as long as they are not allied are automatically destroyed when a city is conquered.

That auto-destroy is scripted, by the way. Otherwise you'd end up with repeated instances of all the factions who've taken it over, since the AI never destroys.

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    Moderator Emeritus

Yes it had to be scripted as the CAI recognizes bonuses rather than buildings.
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Some suggestions after playing 2.04 for 150 turns (as Rome, H/M):
    -Remove/reduce economic help for smallest factions. A faction with 1/2 settlements and 7/8 full stacks doesn't make any sense.
    -Less assasins. It's so disgusting, I have 4 assasins destroying one of my cities, plus another one having fun burning all my marketplaces in Italy.Since they are soooooooo expensive to recruit/maintain I can't stike back and the IA has unlimited money to spam more and more.
    -Remove hordes. This is even more disgusting than the small faction having 7/8 stacks, since they have no settlements and a better military force than myself, plus unlimited money making the horde the richest faction...no comments.
    -Force factions to recruit and use (efficiently?) cavalry units. It's ridiculously easy to destroy a full stack army using 2-3 cavalry units and 4-5 infantry units. By the way, cavalry must be expensive to maintain and less available to recruit.

Quote Originally Posted by abe_squall View Post
    Some suggestions after playing 2.04 for 150 turns (as Rome, H/M):
    -Remove/reduce economic help for smallest factions. A faction with 1/2 settlements and 7/8 full stacks doesn't make any sense.
    I'm afraid you're likely to be disappointed with all the responses to your suggestions, because they run counter to the intended goals.

Economic assistance for the AI is vitally important, especially for the survivability of small factions. Without assistance, the AI recruits itself into bankruptcy, then goes completely passive. That's the alternative without, which merely benefits the bigger factions who start with a more viable economy.

It may not "make sense" for a small faction to have lots of armies, but it's better than them all disappearing in a short time because they have no means whatsoever to compete with the big ones. The real problem is not that they have those big armies, but that they sometimes fail to do anything with them.

-Less assasins. It's so disgusting, I have 4 assasins destroying one of my cities, plus another one having fun burning all my marketplaces in Italy.Since they are soooooooo expensive to recruit/maintain I can't stike back and the IA has unlimited money to spam more and more.
    Put a decent spy there, and if it's really bugging you, suck up the cost of having your own assassin. You don't get to have an easy ride where only armies matter, agents matter too, so budget for them.

-Remove hordes. This is even more disgusting than the small faction having 7/8 stacks, since they have no settlements and a better military force than myself, plus unlimited money making the horde the richest faction...no comments.
    It's a pretty fundamental part of the nomadic factions, so it's not going away. Indeed, we're considering starting a new faction as a horde.

-Force factions to recruit and use (efficiently?) cavalry units. It's ridiculously easy to destroy a full stack army using 2-3 cavalry units and 4-5 infantry units. By the way, cavalry must be expensive to maintain and less available to recruit.
    Do you realise your two statements here are contradictory? Factions are already "forced" to recruit cavalry, when it's available, but the recruitment priorities. If we made it less available to recruit, you'd see even less of it. They can't recruit what isn't there. As to maintenance, it's the same formula for all units, upkeep is 1/4 recruitment cost. I'm not about to come up with a special, new, variant formula just for cavalry.

Use of cavalry falls under the domain of the BAI, which is a work in progress.

Shouldn't Alexandria start with a Musaion, or at least an Academy, so to represent the Library of Alexandria?

Also, I noticed that there was a Suez Canal in the original EB, but you removed it in EBII. Any reason for doing it?
    Last edited by Architect of Doom; August 15, 2015 at 11:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Architect of Doom View Post
    Shouldn't Alexandria start with a Musaion, or at least an Academy, so to represent the Library of Alexandria?

Also, I noticed that there was a Suez Canal in the original EB, but you removed it in EBII. Any reason for doing it?
    The Suez canal was dug during the 19th century. There is some speuclation that an egyptian pharao might have tried digging one, but there was no trace channelduring EB IIs timeframe.

Quote Originally Posted by Architect of Doom View Post
    That's a good point. Didn't Pergamon also have an extensive library, or was that a little later?

I think Pergamon is outside the time frame, assuming Attalids built it.

What about an academy in Athens?

Quote Originally Posted by delra View Post
    I think Pergamon is outside the time frame, assuming Attalids built it.

What about an academy in Athens?
    Yes, it was an Attalid "look at what a great Hellenistic power we are" move, so you're probably right.

Athens is another good point, I'll check. Kyrene was another, as was Syrakousai - or was it Croton (Rhegion)?

EDIT: Turns out it's more serious than that; there isn't a single academic building on the map at the start of the game. That can only be an oversight.
    Last edited by QuintusSertorius; August 16, 2015 at 09:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    Yes, it was an Attalid "look at what a great Hellenistic power we are" move, so you're probably right.

Athens is another good point, I'll check. Kyrene was another, as was Syrakousai - or was it Croton (Rhegion)?

EDIT: Turns out it's more serious than that; there isn't a single academic building on the map at the start of the game. That can only be an oversight.
    Pergamon and Alexandria had a bit of a turf war over their libraries, with Alexandria holding out on supplies of papyrus which forced the scribes of Pergamon to invent parchment. thanks to playing pergamon, I read up on them a little. The time line is around ten years out of the (eb2) start date.