Page 65 of 127 FirstFirst ... 154055565758596061626364656667686970717273747590115 ... LastLast
Results 1,281 to 1,300 of 2522

Thread: Fans suggestion thread for future releases

Default Re: Fans suggestion thread for future releases

Hi Anubis! I made a post with a sugestion about commerce and trading goods

I played Europa Universalis for a long time, and as some of you might already know, there is a mechanic in that game that gives you a little buff when you get access to an economic source in particular. For example, having access to iron makes training cheaper, or wheat gives a population growth bonus, etc.

If you think about it, this is kinda accurate, since there is real pull to control certain resources, aside from the monetary value they have. For example, the roman senator Cicero, had much more influence in politics because he had the sicilian wheat farmers on his side, wich where the ones that gave the biggest grain supply on that time.

So, I was wondering if we could give buffs to the governors that rule in regions that have this resources, so having control over them actually mathers, rather than just caring about how much money do they give.

This (Im just suggesting) could come in two sources, as a follower, or as a character trait.

The first will give aid to the character wherever it goes, and can be either a purchase, or a an actual person. Can be a character just passing by the settlement, and not an actual governor. For example, a place that trades livestock can give oxen and mules that make travelling easier, increasing movement and morale of the army, if the character is sharp, and smart enough to purchase them (this could be later gifted to other person). Or a region that has wildlife could make the chances that a hunter will follow you who increases line of sight, if the character is charismatic enough.

The second comes directly to governors who have control over those resources. Just like the "Attuned governor" buff. Having slaves makes construction easier, timber makes ships cheaper, iron with heavy infantry, horses with cavalry, so you have to keep in mind wich resources you have in the region in order to plan wich kind of builings are the most efficient ones, wich is a lot more immersive. This, rather to follow the character, is a condition of the region itself, so, if the governor leaves, he will lose this buff (just like the "attuned governor")

Here is the original thread

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...post2053774080

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Wait, I noticed something...is there a recruitment glitch for Makedonia or something? I like that I'm still able to recruit Hypaspistai and Peltastai Makedones in the Thorakitai era, but I'm only able to recruit regular Thorakitai. I'm seemingly unable to recruit the Thorakitai Epilektoi elite unit that should replace Hypaspistai in most instances, correct? Are KH and Makedonia the only Hellenistic factions that don't have Thorakitai Epilektoi at all? Ever? I know that the Seleukids and Pergamoi have them at the very least (unsure about Epeiros and the Ptolemies).

Well, playing as Kimmerios Bosphoros, I can *ONLY* recruit Thorakitai Epilektoi at my capital in Pantikapaion, one at the time (one unit pool max and takes a long ass time to replenish). I know this because I really needed the standard ones, but I cant get them, only the expensive, scarce ones.

alex33's Avatar Centenarius

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    Wait, I noticed something...is there a recruitment glitch for Makedonia or something? I like that I'm still able to recruit Hypaspistai and Peltastai Makedones in the Thorakitai era, but I'm only able to recruit regular Thorakitai. I'm seemingly unable to recruit the Thorakitai Epilektoi elite unit that should replace Hypaspistai in most instances, correct? Are KH and Makedonia the only Hellenistic factions that don't have Thorakitai Epilektoi at all? Ever? I know that the Seleukids and Pergamoi have them at the very least (unsure about Epeiros and the Ptolemies).
    they are the only Diadoch faction to keep the Hypaspistai. I think the reasoning for this is that we do have written sources during the reign of Phillip V mentioning them. I actually prefer playing Macedon soley because of that, the current Thorakitai Epilektoi are a placeholder model afaik

Yes, that's by design. KH and Makedonia are exceptions, they don't ever get Thorakitai Epilektoi.

As for the regular sort, they don't come from governments, the come from sufficiently high-tier polis and colony buildings.
    Last edited by QuintusSertorius; March 14, 2018 at 04:23 AM.

I would suggest to make armour upgrades for both Machairaphoroi and Thureophoroi since they used chainmail, although not right away in the Thureos reform but in the Late hellenistic reforms.

I recall that Linothorax was being replaced with chainmail in the late hellenistic period although I don't know at what rate.

Quote Originally Posted by NapoleonMaster View Post
    I would suggest to make armour upgrades for both Machairaphoroi and Thureophoroi since they used chainmail, although not right away in the Thureos reform but in the Late hellenistic reforms.

I recall that Linothorax was being replaced with chainmail in the late hellenistic period although I don't know at what rate.
    Quite frankly I would pee my pants if I saw Machairophoroi and Thureophoroi upgrades with some of them (not even all of them) wearing chain-mail. If I ran into a female EBII developer I would immediately agree to oral sex her, right there, on the spot, in public, no questions asked. If I ran into a male EBII developer I would shake his hand, buy him a beer, and then give him two coupons to Bennigan's Irish American Grill and Tavern.

Das right. You're welcome.

Again, the caveat that I only barely understood what is involved with actually making changes to the game, but with that said:

Making it harder to chase down people who rout. I know, I know, that's part and parcel of the Total War battle engine, but at least when I play, and I suspect others have similar experiences, when you win a battle in the field, enemy losses will average at somewhere between 90-100%, even a few cavalry can wipe out whole legions of fleeing troops once you get them routing. In real life, knocking away half of the enemy's forces in the battle and ensuing rout was pretty damn rare, and the exceptions were usually ones in which flight was impeded, something that you try never to do in a total war game. What usually killed off entire armies when they dissolved in the face of a defeat was desertion, not outright butchery. Maybe tie in some sort of check against the surviving general's (if any) leadership score to see how many of the men disappear from each card. But again, I have a nagging suspicion that this can't be done for technical reasons.

Also, is there any way to revise the Cursus Honorum system? As it stands, it's just actually not great. Keeping your FM around doing little so you can get them an office later in life is often much less good than simply giving them an army and conquering without Imperium, or setting them up as administrators. On a purely gameplay level, you're probably better off keeping no more than 3-5 guys around to become Pretors and Consuls, and letting the rest just do their thing. One simple way, might be to just try to abstract getting to Rome for standing for election; it's much easier to get one guy back to the city for a given date than it is to drag an army back, and maybe you could create some kind of 1 turn trait for someone who is eligible for an office but also some distance away from Rome for "Absent for elections", which prevent him from providing any bonuses to indicate that he's not *really* there.

Playing on VH/VH, my takes are the following: a) the battle AI is good, perhaps the best in all total wars games. Battles are well balanced and accurate; b) campaign AI is kind of passive and unable to offer real challenge. It seems the AI is very trustworthy and will almost never backstab you. From the moment you acquire an ally, you can hope he will not attack you for many turns (over 300 in my case). Only an aggressive AI may pose a challenge to the player; c) overall features are impressive, the game mechanics are great, many interesting ideas, each territory has it´s own flavor and the games offers much in role playing perspective.

That said, I believe the game needs to focus on ways to make it harder, as it stands, as soon as you acquire 5 provinces, you cannot be beaten(some mods like BGR V already proved that you can make life difficult for the player). There must be a way to, in accordance to EB II spirit, make the game harder [i believe no reasonable total war player would find the game difficult today, which is a pity for EB II is (at least to me) the best mod in all total war universe, the magnitude of the project is awe-inspiring. Ty

One of the main reason most total war games are rather easy is the absolute control the player has on his faction, whereas, we know, that in EB timeframe, the central government control over the land was weak. On way we increase increase overall difficulty of the game ( and actually make it more historical) is to make cities governable only by characters holding a given post. This works for every faction, but i will take Rome as an example, we could, for instance, allow building construction in italy only for aedilis curulis, praetores and Consusl (the last two being able do recruit as well)... outside of italy, provincial governors, praetor and consuls should be able to hire troops and construct buildings.

The implementation of such system would mimic the central government dim hold of power, furthermore, it must be said, it´s not every one who has access to the public treasure or authorization to hire troops (it was a very political and sensitive matter actually). Ty

Quote Originally Posted by Lucio Domicio Aureliano View Post
    Playing on VH/VH, my takes are the following: a) the battle AI is good, perhaps the best in all total wars games. Battles are well balanced and accurate; b) campaign AI is kind of passive and unable to offer real challenge. It seems the AI is very trustworthy and will almost never backstab you. From the moment you acquire an ally, you can hope he will not attack you for many turns (over 300 in my case). Only an aggressive AI may pose a challenge to the player; c) overall features are impressive, the game mechanics are great, many interesting ideas, each territory has it´s own flavor and the games offers much in role playing perspective.
    EBII actually has two CAI "states" which individual factions can flip back and forth between by way of a script. One is "diplomacy" which is the very reasonable, peaceable, trusting one you're observing. The other is "warlike" which is Total War standard highly aggressive, back-stabbing, all round unreasonable.

Different factions start the game on different states. The script that switches factions between the states is still highly experimental and probably needs more tuning. More feedback is always welcome on whether they fall back into diplomacy too easily, or is warlike goes on too long.

That said, I believe the game needs to focus on ways to make it harder, as it stands, as soon as you acquire 5 provinces, you cannot be beaten(some mods like BGR V already proved that you can make life difficult for the player). There must be a way to, in accordance to EB II spirit, make the game harder [i believe no reasonable total war player would find the game difficult today, which is a pity for EB II is (at least to me) the best mod in all total war universe, the magnitude of the project is awe-inspiring. Ty
    We've been adding features to do that, with items like the Troublesome Regions script, nomadic raids. What I don't agree with, though, is simply making life hard for it's own sake, for two reasons. Firstly, none of these additional systems can be applied to the AI, because they aren't capable of handling them, which makes it a lot of effort for a small reward. Secondly, unless they are optional systems (see again lots of effort for small reward), then we're making the game inaccessible for new or casual players.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    We've been adding features to do that, with items like the Troublesome Regions script, nomadic raids. What I don't agree with, though, is simply making life hard for it's own sake, for two reasons. Firstly, none of these additional systems can be applied to the AI, because they aren't capable of handling them, which makes it a lot of effort for a small reward. Secondly, unless they are optional systems (see again lots of effort for small reward), then we're making the game inaccessible for new or casual players.
    I very much cherish these new features, such as, for instance, the Ligurian revolt. I dont think EB II should add senseless modifications just for the sake of making life harder (i agree here), but i do believe it should not bind new features with the AI capacity to handle it. We must understand that the player is always in huge advantage over the AI, and this because the AI cant think, its very stupid when you compare with the player...it is important in every game that we can actually be defeated. Also, there is a point to be made that the best games are not made with the casual players in mind (easy, normal, battle and campaign difficulty would do that job i believe).
    Anyway, it seems to me that EB II is really implementing feature to make the game harder, i, for one, really like the devastation feature for example. That said, what do you think of the idea of allowing only some characters to construct building and hiring troops (it would be very historical, one of the goals of EB)?

Thx
    Last edited by QuintusSertorius; April 04, 2018 at 02:04 PM.

I very much cherish these new features, such as, for instance, the Ligurian revolt. I dont think EB II should add senseless modifications just for the sake of making life harder (i agree here), but i do believe it should not bind new features with the AI capacity to handle it. We must understand that the player is always in huge advantage over the AI, and this because the AI cant think, its very stupid when you compare with the player...it is important in every game that we can actually be defeated. Also, there is a point to be made that the best games are not made with the casual players in mind (easy, normal, battle and campaign difficulty would do that job i believe).
    Anyway, it seems to me that EB II is really implementing feature to make the game harder, i, for one, really like the devastation feature for example. That said, what do you think of the idea of allowing only some characters to construct building and hiring troops (it would be very historical, one of the goals of EB)?

Thx
    If we only allow named characters to recruit/build (and I think that's controlled in the descr_character), that will devastate the AI, which will not understand why it can't recruit/build in settlements without a proper governor present. As far as I'm aware, there's no way to make that a player-only setting.

There are very few player-only settings available to toggle, and those which do often involve a significant amount of scripting.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    If we only allow named characters to recruit/build (and I think that's controlled in the descr_character), that will devastate the AI, which will not understand why it can't recruit/build in settlements without a proper governor present. As far as I'm aware, there's no way to make that a player-only setting.

There are very few player-only settings available to toggle, and those which do often involve a significant amount of scripting.

Yes. If it is not possible to make this feature only for the player, then it should not be implemented. As far as i know, BGR implemented the aforementioned feature (similar) using retinues and not traits. I am not sure, but i think the computer was exempted (it certainly felt so because the AI was able to field a lot of units and usually of good quality). Thx

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Yes. If it is not possible to make this feature only for the player, then it should not be implemented. As far as i know, BGR implemented the aforementioned feature (similar) using retinues and not traits. I am not sure, but i think the computer was exempted (it certainly felt so because the AI was able to field a lot of units and usually of good quality). Thx
    Yes, I had the same impression with BGRIV. A similar system has been implemented recently in the Broken Crescent - Buff and Shine. Apparently it concerns only the player, but many scripts are needed.

How about adding a scripted roman invasion of Carthage? It could be connected with the Xanthippos event, were before Xanthippos, a full roman stack would appear in Africa, being lead by Marcus Atillius Regulus (the consul who historically did invade Africa in the 1st Punic War).
    First a warning would appear to the player, saying that there are reports of an invasion fleet being assembled by Rome and on the next turn the invasion would happen, saying that the carthaginian fleet was incapable of stopping the invasion.
    Problably I'm not the first with this idea but I couldn't help asking x)

I would like to suggest another thing. In When Worlds Collide submod by Leoni, he represents Carthage port in a very inteligent way, by changing the campaign map and placing the port just behind the city, making the player feel like its inside the city. This could be done also for other important cities like Alexandria, Carthago Nova, and others. This could also be done in conjunction with the making of unique city models, just make some cities already huge cities in the begining of the game because historically, cities like Carthage, Alexandria, Anthiocheia,Seleukia, and others already were.
    It would bring a lot more immersion to the game and bring it to another level and I'm not even talking about how beautifull the models could be!

Not sure if it's on the list of things to do, but you guys should consider giving Agema Phalangitai a voice command on the battle map, similar to the regular phalangitai at least.

Have you guys ever considered representing minor cities on the campaign map with watch towers?

You could change the watch tower model to a new city model. Then you would have mutipe city models to represent all the different cutures that lived in different areas around the map.

You would just have to disable watch towers from the game.

That would be interesting. I suppose enemy armies could capture it and it could be represented on battle maps.
    изишо је тад домаћин тмури
    и сву штенад потрпо у џак.