Page 93 of 127 FirstFirst ... 43688384858687888990919293949596979899100101102103118 ... LastLast
Results 1,841 to 1,860 of 2525

Thread: Fans suggestion thread for future releases

Default Re: Fans suggestion thread for future releases

Maybe we could create a mechanism similar in some ways to the Carthaginian war leader mechanic where the player elects a war leader. In this case, the Aruernoi/Aedui player would elect a king.

Is it possible to restrict the possibility to be elected to only some FM that have some specific traits (rich, feast organizer, be the son of a death king...) and/or influence level ? If we not do this, a young boy of 16 years with no influence, no specific trait and no link with the previous king, could be elected by the player.

So, is-it possible to make no choice (as in an oligarchic system), and to can make later a choice (to make a change of politic system) ?

This mechanism could also be used for the election of a principatus totius galliae (like Vercingetorix that have been chose by the concilium totius galliae in 52 BC). This mecanism should be only avaible if the player have conquer most of the province of Gaul.

And maybe, for the election of a principatus galliae (I know that some peoples think that the "concilium Galliae" is a creation of Caesar) and a principatus Belgiae (like Galba elected in 57 BC by the "commune Belgarum concilium").

Suggestion: give more elite units the scare infantry/cavalry traits.

There are a precious few units that possess such traits.

At the moment, elite troops have low numbers of soldiers per company and low replenishment rates. There is nothing wrong with that in terms of accuracy, but it really puts a dent in their effectiveness. I mostly recruit them for show. Adding scare traits would go a long way into making elite units truly elite.

It makes sense. Would you, a Persian levy, charge into fresh Agema phalanx? Think about it.
    Last edited by Rad; August 03, 2019 at 03:48 PM.

I love the more authentic music that the EBII mod has for each culture, but a part of me still really misses the classic Rome TW music, especially when I'm playing as the Romans. To that end, I was wondering what the team thinks of adding in the "Divinitas" song from Rome I?

| Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

That's a beautiful song indeed. Just the lyrics:
    Bellatorius victorialis (warlike; victory) erastus necessitas (lovers; death) honararius despondeo (honour; despair) spiritus obdormio (life; death) patriota gladiator (country; fighter) afflictio ommento (pain; waiting) divinitus salutaris (heaven; salvation) furtivus libertas (furtive love; freedom)

Even if the team does not include it, I think RomaVictrix did a submod with musics from Rome too

I think it would be nice if you could recruit Phalangitai Deutoroi in Taras with the higher levels of the Hellenistic colonization building, like you can in much of mainland Greece. I hadn't really thought about their current absence there until I read something a while back that implied that the Tarentines that Pyrrhus impressed into his army might have been rearmed as Macedonian style phalangites, and I remember thinking that the local phalangite tradition might have eventually become more widespread had Pyrrhus been able to keep control over the region a little longer. Then again maybe not, but it'd be cool regardless.

Cleomenes III's Avatar Civis

Lessen the ridiculous waiting times for Roman reforms. It's extremely boring, frustrating and a waste of time to wait 600+ turns just to get new units.

Ego sum Attila flagellum Dei

Quote Originally Posted by Cleomenes III View Post
    Lessen the ridiculous waiting times for Roman reforms. It's extremely boring, frustrating and a waste of time to wait 600+ turns just to get new units.
    Categorically not happening.

Or maybe, if not outright recruitment, the ability to at least retrain existing units, like you can with Carthage and the Liby-Phoenician hoplites

Quote Originally Posted by afootcrawdad View Post
    I think it would be nice if you could recruit Phalangitai Deutoroi in Taras with the higher levels of the Hellenistic colonization building, like you can in much of mainland Greece. I hadn't really thought about their current absence there until I read something a while back that implied that the Tarentines that Pyrrhus impressed into his army might have been rearmed as Macedonian style phalangites, and I remember thinking that the local phalangite tradition might have eventually become more widespread had Pyrrhus been able to keep control over the region a little longer. Then again maybe not, but it'd be cool regardless.
    Quote Originally Posted by afootcrawdad View Post
    Or maybe, if not outright recruitment, the ability to at least retrain existing units, like you can with Carthage and the Liby-Phoenician hoplites
    I'm not sure we could justify it historically, but it's a simple enough change if you wanted to edit your own game (though would require a new campaign to apply).

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    I'm not sure we could justify it historically, but it's a simple enough change if you wanted to edit your own game (though would require a new campaign to apply).
    I actually have a doubt regarding standard phalangitai that I never fully understood and I would like to learn more historically. And it is why it never appears as a regional unit. Like as I understand it, phalangites by the game's date had become the standard way of of fighting of makedonians and its availability in game its closely tied with the presence in sufficient numbers of these populations. Thats why we have mostly the hellenistic colonies (representing a lot of the time makedonian settlers along other hellenized peoples) been the main source of them. And they actually have dissapeared in some places as it has been deemed that the settlers wont really include the kind of population that would fight as a phalangite.

Alongside colonization theres a few select places that can produce them outirght due to been places were is deemed that there were enough makedonians organically (basically core makedonia and the capitals of the two bigges successor states). My doubt then is, why don't other factions (that dont get phalangites due to colonziation) get phalangites in these places (even hellenic ones) ? Was the phalangite soldier very dependant on the specific hellensitic monarchy structure? Or has is just decided to be that way because the rest of the factions didnt field proper phalangites? (though in history most of them didnt really have the chance of having the makedonian manpower to do it anyway). It has always felt a bit weird that if you get one of this regions as another faction suddenly the people there change their way of fighting.

Also a different but a bit related, why helcol 3 cannot be constructed anymore by some factions/in some places like Bactria in the east? Like I understand the removal of phalangites but Im unsure why they can't upgrade helcol 2 until the reformed one is available.

We will either find a way, or make one.

I suggest more that there be more units in the next patch.

Quote Originally Posted by Jervaj View Post
    I actually have a doubt regarding standard phalangitai that I never fully understood and I would like to learn more historically. And it is why it never appears as a regional unit. Like as I understand it, phalangites by the game's date had become the standard way of of fighting of makedonians and its availability in game its closely tied with the presence in sufficient numbers of these populations. Thats why we have mostly the hellenistic colonies (representing a lot of the time makedonian settlers along other hellenized peoples) been the main source of them. And they actually have dissapeared in some places as it has been deemed that the settlers wont really include the kind of population that would fight as a phalangite.

Alongside colonization theres a few select places that can produce them outirght due to been places were is deemed that there were enough makedonians organically (basically core makedonia and the capitals of the two bigges successor states). My doubt then is, why don't other factions (that dont get phalangites due to colonziation) get phalangites in these places (even hellenic ones) ? Was the phalangite soldier very dependant on the specific hellensitic monarchy structure? Or has is just decided to be that way because the rest of the factions didnt field proper phalangites? (though in history most of them didnt really have the chance of having the makedonian manpower to do it anyway). It has always felt a bit weird that if you get one of this regions as another faction suddenly the people there change their way of fighting.
    The very specific Makedonian signature of the Phalangitai unit that it represents requires a Hellenistic regal/imperial power for those men to swear fealty to. Or else a pre-existing critical mass of Makedonians already present, which is why Pella, Antiocheia and Alexandreia are the only places with "native" Phalangitai (and again only to Hellenistic factions). They were restive even under those they acknowledged as Makedonian, they wouldn't serve a Greek and certainly not a "barbarian".

Also a different but a bit related, why helcol 3 cannot be constructed anymore by some factions/in some places like Bactria in the east? Like I understand the removal of phalangites but Im unsure why they can't upgrade helcol 2 until the reformed one is available.
    Essentially, because the helcol_three represents a very specific set of well-developed colonies that only appeared in some specific places. Mostly in Anatolia, but a handful of others besides, where there developed the greatest concentrations of Makedonian settlers. The helcol_ref is much more flexible in fitting with the alt-history idea of colonising lots of places where historically, colonies never really reached a significant size.

Quote Originally Posted by Rad View Post
    I suggest more that there be more units in the next patch.
    There will be - all those new ones you've seen previewed so far are in the patch.

More!

The very specific Makedonian signature of the Phalangitai unit that it represents requires a Hellenistic regal/imperial power for those men to swear fealty to. Or else a pre-existing critical mass of Makedonians already present, which is why Pella, Antiocheia and Alexandreia are the only places with "native" Phalangitai (and again only to Hellenistic factions). They were restive even under those they acknowledged as Makedonian, they wouldn't serve a Greek and certainly not a "barbarian".
    The colonial part is very clear to me, as a non hellenistic regal/imperial power wasn't really encouraging makedonians to establish anyway to extend their influence in a region, and the small numbers present wouldn't have the arrangement to serve in their armies. However back to the "critical mass" provinces where my doubt arised: the thing is I believed (corrrect me if Im wrong) that part of the trick of the phalanx and the reforms Philip did back in the day was that they were drawed from the "common man" and it extended the population makedonian manpower was beeing drawed from. Im sure it was still relativelly restrictive, but the point is that it doesn't seem like it was a small elite that I was seeing as easily stop serving you as soon as they weren't aligned in the local power in these provinces (contrary to other regions were they were exactly that) at least, and specially in Makedonia itself. Like as an example of these other non hellenistic powers, the 2 "greek" ones can end controlling this region and its actually kind of a "core" region for them (probably more so KH than KB but pretty good for both) in regards to recruitment. Its a place where they will find plenty of manpower comapred to other regions. But then where is that manpower supposed to come from if its not "makedonian"? Thats my doubt.

Essentially, because the helcol_three represents a very specific set of well-developed colonies that only appeared in some specific places. Mostly in Anatolia, but a handful of others besides, where there developed the greatest concentrations of Makedonian settlers. The helcol_ref is much more flexible in fitting with the alt-history idea of colonising lots of places where historically, colonies never really reached a significant size.
    Ah, I see makes sense, thanks!

Last, another question tied to "makedonians". I had always believed that paired with the raise of the phalanx they also developped quite some cavalry tradition. In fact I think the region's description mentions something along those lines. Yet there doesn't seem to be any unit representing that. The region itself and other hellenistic powers in general only seem to get the standard mediocre greek cavalry and locals where they fit (lydians, thessalians and others). The only makedonian inspired cavalry its the heitaroi (avatar, yay!) but they are a royal guard unit more than something erupting from talen/tradition. Even non succesor like Pergamon have it from its aristocracy (that may or may have not be makedonian depending on the zone I assume). I dont know if maybe the team doesnt want to get much more detail in the hellenic roster that is already quite complete, but I have been wondering for a while if greece will get more regional units as while they are the best place to get hellenic/hellensitic core rosters the regions dont really have much variety unlike others.

The colonial part is very clear to me, as a non hellenistic regal/imperial power wasn't really encouraging makedonians to establish anyway to extend their influence in a region, and the small numbers present wouldn't have the arrangement to serve in their armies. However back to the "critical mass" provinces where my doubt arised: the thing is I believed (corrrect me if Im wrong) that part of the trick of the phalanx and the reforms Philip did back in the day was that they were drawed from the "common man" and it extended the population makedonian manpower was beeing drawed from. Im sure it was still relativelly restrictive, but the point is that it doesn't seem like it was a small elite that I was seeing as easily stop serving you as soon as they weren't aligned in the local power in these provinces (contrary to other regions were they were exactly that) at least, and specially in Makedonia itself. Like as an example of these other non hellenistic powers, the 2 "greek" ones can end controlling this region and its actually kind of a "core" region for them (probably more so KH than KB but pretty good for both) in regards to recruitment. Its a place where they will find plenty of manpower comapred to other regions. But then where is that manpower supposed to come from if its not "makedonian"? Thats my doubt.
    While those three places have a critical mass, it wasn't entirely self-sustaining (barring Makedonia itself, of course). The Seleukids and Ptolemaioi made regular overtures to men "back home" to come and settle in return for lands. Yes, Philip's reform was to turn a levied rabble into a full-time, professional force, but it also required huge manpower. The basic block of the phalanx, the syntagma, requires 256 active combatants, tens of thousands were required to provide the core of heavy infantry for a Hellenistic army. It was an elite, but not in the sense of being a small body of men. That's also why the custom developed of accepting the surrender of defeated phalanxes, so trained pikemen could be taken up by the victor. It's also why there were lots of well-paid mercenaries washing around the Mediterranean.

Ah, I see makes sense, thanks!

Last, another question tied to "makedonians". I had always believed that paired with the raise of the phalanx they also developped quite some cavalry tradition. In fact I think the region's description mentions something along those lines. Yet there doesn't seem to be any unit representing that. The region itself and other hellenistic powers in general only seem to get the standard mediocre greek cavalry and locals where they fit (lydians, thessalians and others). The only makedonian inspired cavalry its the heitaroi (avatar, yay!) but they are a royal guard unit more than something erupting from talen/tradition. Even non succesor like Pergamon have it from its aristocracy (that may or may have not be makedonian depending on the zone I assume). I dont know if maybe the team doesnt want to get much more detail in the hellenic roster that is already quite complete, but I have been wondering for a while if greece will get more regional units as while they are the best place to get hellenic/hellensitic core rosters the regions dont really have much variety unlike others.
    I think it's more accurate to say the Makedonians copied/adopted the Thessalian cavalry tradition, including their tactical maneuvers (like the wedge formation). In a lot of ways, the Xystophoroi represent the lighter part of that tradition, with the Thessalians and Ptolemaic Agema the heavier end.

We don't have any plans for any more Hellenistic units, though, the roster is complete.

While those three places have a critical mass, it wasn't entirely self-sustaining (barring Makedonia itself, of course). The Seleukids and Ptolemaioi made regular overtures to men "back home" to come and settle in return for lands. Yes, Philip's reform was to turn a levied rabble into a full-time, professional force, but it also required huge manpower. The basic block of the phalanx, the syntagma, requires 256 active combatants, tens of thousands were required to provide the core of heavy infantry for a Hellenistic army. It was an elite, but not in the sense of being a small body of men. That's also why the custom developed of accepting the surrender of defeated phalanxes, so trained pikemen could be taken up by the victor. It's also why there were lots of well-paid mercenaries washing around the Mediterranean.

I think it's more accurate to say the Makedonians copied/adopted the Thessalian cavalry tradition, including their tactical maneuvers (like the wedge formation). In a lot of ways, the Xystophoroi represent the lighter part of that tradition, with the Thessalians and Ptolemaic Agema the heavier end.

We don't have any plans for any more Hellenistic units, though, the roster is complete.
    Sad to hear the units part. I was still hoping for some rhodian slinger, and had read several times the bactrians were still missing one of their top units. But that aside, thanks a lot for all the answers. I would give your rep if the system let me jeje. Very helpful and educative.

Sad to hear the units part. I was still hoping for some rhodian slinger, and had read several times the bactrians were still missing one of their top units. But that aside, thanks a lot for all the answers. I would give your rep if the system let me jeje. Very helpful and educative.
    The Rhodian Apobatai was considered for a time, but eventually dropped. They were marines, primarily, not land units.

There is still a Baktrian elite cavalry unit, which will also be the bodyguard, to come.

The Rhodian Apobatai was considered for a time, but eventually dropped. They were marines, primarily, not land units.

There is still a Baktrian elite cavalry unit, which will also be the bodyguard, to come.
    Brother, I hope that you can add numbered legions, or have a recruitment requirement for the numbered legions.

I remember reading of making a satrapy mechanic for the Seleucids. Can we get any clues on how that will work? Thanks