Page 85 of 127 FirstFirst ... 3560757677787980818283848586878889909192939495110 ... LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,700 of 2522

Thread: Fans suggestion thread for future releases

Default Re: Fans suggestion thread for future releases

Quote Originally Posted by cecxla View Post
    My suggestion is, if it's doable and not too complicated, to make another later game campaign, maybe starting at the period when Parthia took over Iran, that way those who would rather play a later date won't have to go through 500 or some other amount of turns to reach it.
    I'd second that suggestion! How complicated would that actually be though? It seems like much of the stuff is there already anyway, as there are late era units and stuff already in the mod. It seems like the main change would just be altering the conditions for reforms with each faction, or changing what their start culture is (some that are nomadic in early game campaign would have to be settled for a late one). Would adding another campaign be something that could be incorporated without major overhaul?
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

Cohors_Evocata's Avatar Centenarius

Off the top of my head, we would have to:

-edit all the events and scripts that have date-based triggers, from reforms to migration events, not to mention either setting certain event_counters from the start of the late campaign or changing the code to strip them out altogether if the change has already happened (think the impact of the thureos and thorakitai reforms on Hellenistic recruitment for example).
    -create new family trees, largely from scratch, for all factions still in existence at that point. New biography traits would be nice, but not wholly necessary.
    -change settlement ownership for the new situations and redistribute all new characters, armies and buildings throughout the entire map, as well as adapting the new "religion" values for each settlement.
    -shift the starting "religion" for certain factions, as well as examining various faction mechanics to ascertain theit aptitude and balance impact by that point (e.g. the Parthian mercenary mechanic may no longer be fitting by 120 B.C.)

This may not seem like a lot, but believe me, I'm pretty sure it'd be a pain to do it justice, not to mention testing for the various bugs that inevitably slip in during work like this.
    Last edited by Cohors_Evocata; February 22, 2019 at 06:57 AM.
    I tend to edit my posts once or several times after writing and uploading them. Please keep this in mind when reading a recent post of mine. Also, should someone, for some unimaginable reason, wish to rep me, please add your username in the process, so I can at least know whom to be grateful towards.

My thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Cohors_Evocata View Post
    Off the top of my head, we would have to:

-edit all the events and scripts that have date-based triggers, from reforms to migration events, not to mention either setting certain event_counters from the start of the late campaign or changing the code to strip them out altogether if the change has already happened (think the impact of the thureos and thorakitai reforms on Hellenistic recruitment for example).
    -create new family trees, largely from scratch, for all factions still in existence at that point. New biography traits would be nice, but not wholly necessary.
    -change settlement ownership for the new situations and redistribute all new characters, armies and buildings throughout the entire map, as well as adapting the new "religion" values for each settlement.
    -shift the starting "religion" for certain factions, as well as examining various faction mechanics to ascertain theit aptitude and balance impact by that point (e.g. the Parthian mercenary mechanic may no longer be fitting by 120 B.C.)

This may not seem like a lot, but believe me, I'm pretty sure it'd be a pain to do it justice, not to mention testing for the various bugs that inevitably slip in during work like this.
    In addition to all those things, it would mean a parallel build or "fork" from the main one we'd have to maintain, doubling all the upkeep and testing efforts.

It's a great idea for a submod, but it would need a little team of it's own to work on it, and especially playtest it. If a group did get going on such a thing, I'd be happy to lend some time to help, I just wouldn't want to do the whole thing myself.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    I fight almost all my battles outnumbered, sieges are no different. My usual garrison is an FM plus two units of Hoplitai Haploi, one of Akontistai and one of Toxotai. Larger settlements might also have a single unit of Hippakontistai.

I won't throw that out against a full stack; but if it's a half stack, I will.
    Easy to do that on medium BAI. Now, try to face a full army bristling with silver and gold chevron Agema units on Hard or Very Hard, see what happens...

P.S. I just realised that I have ptsd from the last war with the Seleukids.
    P.P.S. My garrisons are for the most part far, far larger than yours and I have no idea how you maintain public order in remote provinces.
    Last edited by Rad; February 22, 2019 at 01:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rad View Post
    Easy to do that on medium BAI. Now, try to face a full army bristling with silver and gold chevron Agema units on Hard or Very Hard, see what happens...

P.S. I just realised that I have ptsd from the last war with the Seleukids.
    P.P.S. My garrisons are for the most part far, far larger than yours and I have no idea how you maintain public order in remote provinces.
    I recommend Medium, because that's what the battle balance is designed for. Thus I play what I recommend, so there would never be cause for my to fight elites on VH.

I don't expand all that much; once I have around 10 settlements, I don't see much point in expanding any further. The whole game turns into a chore-some settlement management sim, with only the occasional bit of battling, and it's too hard to keep track of my family tree in my head.

With a smaller, contiguous empire, distance and culture tend to be more compatible.

Medium battle AI supposedly gives morale and stamina bonuses to the player units... you know, to the human with the actual brain. How is that balanced?

If the AI stack spam (a constant in all mods I've played) is what worries you, use your human brain to outmaneuver them and pick them of one by one. It's a bit tedious, and a bit scary if you're playing against factions that had time to build up a lot of experienced armies, but that's a lot of fun.

You really should try a longer campaign because you're missing out the superpower era that has its own challenges and fun. I'm currently sandwiched between Rome, Carthage and the Seleukids and near constantly at war with at least one of them. Rome and Carthage also have to deal against each other and against the Celtiberians... I could go on. Everything is connected and one has to watch what he does. Moving a single unit from a far away garrison could make all the difference - good or bad.
    Last edited by Rad; February 23, 2019 at 04:29 AM.

Senator

Nothing.Because the minor moral and fatigue bonus the AI gets on very hard barely matters .
    Elder Scrolls Online :Messing up the Lore since 2007...

Well overhand or underhand: 3:50 Onwards...

Quote Originally Posted by Sint View Post
    Nothing.Because the minor moral and fatigue bonus the AI gets on very hard barely matters .
    Oh it matters a lot. I switched from playing on VH to H BAI. VH is a slaughterhouse compared to Hard. I can only imagine how easy Medium is, with the morale and stamina bonus going to the player instead of the AI.

To make the game a little more accessible/less tedious, I suggest adding separate historic events for the Troublesome Regions script (currently lacking any notification) and the Nomadic Raids scripts (currently lacking specific locations) so the player knows when rebel stacks pop up and around what region. It'll help with the management a lot: I spent countless hours of my Seleukid campaign combing through each region of my empire to figure out if rebels had appeared that turn. Or, if there were "nomadic incursions," where in the world the nomads were.

Maybe not historically accurate to always know the region of the rebel stack (and a bit of tedious work to separate the historic events), but definitely a whole lot less management hell. I'm so sick of scrolling around my map, I'll even offer to help with coding the campaign script and writing out the event messages.

Quote Originally Posted by *Helios* View Post
    To make the game a little more accessible/less tedious, I suggest adding separate historic events for the Troublesome Regions script (currently lacking any notification)
    That's actually a good idea

Are the Hellenistic minor offices (Supervisor of trade, Supervisor of public buildings, Warden of the peace etc) permanent? The game manual says that the terms last for 1 year, but some of my guys have been holding them for ages - of course, some of those traits progressed further down the line, based on how they did (Upright/Corrupt Emporiarches, Popular Panegyrarches etc). Also, the manual mentions that those offices are not for the faction leader and heir, but my king has been an upright emporiarches for as long as I can remember - maybe he got it before the crown, dunno. It would be wonderful if someone could explain it to me.
    Last edited by Rad; February 23, 2019 at 02:51 PM.

Medium battle AI supposedly gives morale and stamina bonuses to the player units... you know, to the human with the actual brain. How is that balanced?

If the AI stack spam (a constant in all mods I've played) is what worries you, use your human brain to outmaneuver them and pick them of one by one. It's a bit tedious, and a bit scary if you're playing against factions that had time to build up a lot of experienced armies, but that's a lot of fun.

You really should try a longer campaign because you're missing out the superpower era that has its own challenges and fun. I'm currently sandwiched between Rome, Carthage and the Seleukids and near constantly at war with at least one of them. Rome and Carthage also have to deal against each other and against the Celtiberians... I could go on. Everything is connected and one has to watch what he does. Moving a single unit from a far away garrison could make all the difference - good or bad.
    I've played longer games, I don't expand much beyond 10 or so settlements. Instead I switch to the hegemon role controlling the balance of power - keep everyone around me weak and at war with each other, using spies, assassins and the odd punitive expedition to make sure no one grows too powerful. Plus rescuing factions who are losing, by attacking the succeeding aggressor.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

I think it's pretty cool how the Romans can still recruit Polybian Equites cavalry in Italy after the Marian Reforms, obviously in addition to the new Equites Auxilium cavalry that can be recruited in the provinces. However, I can't remember, is there a new Marian Roman cavalry unit in the works to replace the Polybian Equites? It kinda seems like a placeholder, given how they are outdated by the time the Marian era is in full swing. I just want to say that I also love the fact that you can do an armor upgrade for Roman generals during the Polybian (and of course Marian) eras so that their bodyguard units look like Polybian Equites, not Camillan ones anymore.

I think they're getting an armor upgrade with the Marian reforms.

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    I think it's pretty cool how the Romans can still recruit Polybian Equites cavalry in Italy after the Marian Reforms, obviously in addition to the new Equites Auxilium cavalry that can be recruited in the provinces. However, I can't remember, is there a new Marian Roman cavalry unit in the works to replace the Polybian Equites? It kinda seems like a placeholder, given how they are outdated by the time the Marian era is in full swing. I just want to say that I also love the fact that you can do an armor upgrade for Roman generals during the Polybian (and of course Marian) eras so that their bodyguard units look like Polybian Equites, not Camillan ones anymore.
    There are no plans for a "Marian Equites" unit, the extension of the Polybian unit is intentional. There isn't a lot of evidence that the vestigial native Roman cavalry changed into the Marian era - they were almost completely eclipsed by every sort of provincial cavalry available.

So the armour upgrade for general's bodyguards works? It's one of those things we have conflicting information on, but sounds like the doubters were wrong. It seemed a pretty simple thing to do, given they're the most played faction, even if they're ultimately a placeholder for a proper bodyguard.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    There are no plans for a "Marian Equites" unit, the extension of the Polybian unit is intentional. There isn't a lot of evidence that the vestigial native Roman cavalry changed into the Marian era - they were almost completely eclipsed by every sort of provincial cavalry available.

So the armour upgrade for general's bodyguards works? It's one of those things we have conflicting information on, but sounds like the doubters were wrong. It seemed a pretty simple thing to do, given they're the most played faction, even if they're ultimately a placeholder for a proper bodyguard.
    Yes, the armor upgrade works, although I don't remember it working at all shortly after the Polybian reforms, but it was working at least several decades before I even got to the Marian reforms. If a newly recruited 16-year-old family member doesn't automatically have it while being spawned in a settlement where his father or father-in-law is located, all you have to do is stick them in another settlement and the retraining option is available right away. For some odd reason Arretium doesn't seem to offer retraining for generals, though. I usually just stick them somewhere else in that case and voila, upgraded bodyguards! In fact, nearly every single family member I have has the upgrade.

As for the Polybian Equites, fair enough, I'm more than content with Equites Auxilium recruited in the provinces! To say nothing of the regional cavalry choices. I'm pretty giddy now that I've realized I can recruit Hippeis Lonchophoroi.

Any chance you guys could do a check on the Celtic Noble/Retainer units?
    The armor upgrades for all the mentioned units bring a mail shoulder reinforcement with great big holes in it.
    The foot nobles and retainers still hold a javelin when in melee - they'd most likely throw/drop it before that.
    The 2nd upgrade for the noble cavalry features a helmet with a lot of black areas in it (don't you dare, Roma_Victrix!)
    Last edited by Rad; February 25, 2019 at 02:43 PM.

Any chance you guys could do a check on the Celtic Noble/Retainer units?
    The armor upgrades for all the mentioned units bring a mail shoulder reinforcement with great big holes in it.
    The foot nobles and retainers still hold a javelin when in melee - they'd most likely throw/drop it before that.
    The 2nd upgrade for the noble cavalry features a helmet with a lot of black areas in it (don't you dare, Roma_Victrix!)
    Oh, I dare, Rad, I dare!

Read dis and weep, fool:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Don't hold me back, fool, cuz I'm gonna say it and you can't stop it: Vercingetorix was a BLACK MAN! His real name was Vercungabembe! And someone in EB II finally gets it partially right by making Celtic heads black under those helmets, because they was black African. Later Europeans just took over the Celtic identity from the real Celts: the Ethiopians and Nubians. They did it just like the original ancient Shang dynasty Chinese was black but Chinese erased it, the original Olmecs of ancient Mexico was black, the original Babylonians of Mesopotamia was black, Persians of Achaemenid Empire was black, and Phoenician colonists who founded Carthage was blacks, fool!

In all seriousness, though, any glitches or mistakes in the unit textures should be fixed pronto. For the most part I haven't caught any mistakes as of late and every unit I've seen thus far in the latest iteration of 2.35 looks great. The new Skaplinai unit of elite Illyrian slingers, however, seem to have some helmets and shields that are a bit too shiny and glimmering in the sunlight compared to the rest of their bodies. It looks kind of jarring.

That's why I'm here - to nitpick for the good of the mod!

I really should pit you against those people who think that Alexander the Great was a Slav.
    Last edited by Rad; February 26, 2019 at 10:42 AM.

Another suggestion - keep the early Numidian infantry in the game even after the late version becomes available.

As things stand now, they are introduced with the Thureos reforms and replaced with the late Numidians after what... the Thorakitai reforms? Kind of feels like a waste. Just relabel the two units as light and medium Numidian infantry.
    Last edited by Rad; February 26, 2019 at 10:48 AM.