Thread: Fans suggestion thread for future releases

Default Re: Fans suggestion thread for future releases

Quote Originally Posted by mAIOR View Post
    Continuing the population request, I think this mod needs a scale factor both in campaign as well as in combat. Right now, Archers and slingers fire way too far and are a bit too effective imho. I like that I can make units break quite easily and then they can rejoin but a 1:5 scale would suit this mod quite well. That is each unit represents 5 irl. This would make full stacks around 20,000 troops strong which is quite fitting for most of the armies of the time. Another interesting scaling factor would be economy scaling in the strategic map so that we could have the same relative size of armies as the corresponding power had irl. Again, a 1:5 scale would mean that if a state could afford in total 100,000 troops between garrisons, field armies and reserves, we could field have 20,000 troops raised total keeping with the same ratio.

Also, removing experience gain would be a plus as I don't think experience bonuses should play a role at this scale. I can have a body of troops raised from turn 1 for 200 years. What does the experience even represent?

Maybe give troops starting XP based on tier (like Professional troops would get silver, elite professional would get gold, levy troops would have none and experienced levy troops get bronze) so that each body of men starts from the same point and the difference in effectiveness comes from equipment and experience.
    What? You're complaining that the archers and slingers are too effective? I actually think they could be a bit more effective

About the troops experience, it's much less then what it was with Rome Total War, now troops only increase their stats by 3 points with gold chevron which is much better since units will be better but not super heroes compared to unexperienced troops.

You can have a body of troops for 200 years, that's true but that's something that's up to you to fix by either disband the unit at some point or use for some other purposes.
    I just roleplay and act like that unit means an army tradition and over time it just keeps getting replaced with younger soldiers with the older ones go to their homes, thus keeping the unit numbers and tradition intact.

mAIOR's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Lusitanio View Post
    What? You're complaining that the archers and slingers are too effective? I actually think they could be a bit more effective

About the troops experience, it's much less then what it was with Rome Total War, now troops only increase their stats by 3 points with gold chevron which is much better since units will be better but not super heroes compared to unexperienced troops.

You can have a body of troops for 200 years, that's true but that's something that's up to you to fix by either disband the unit at some point or use for some other purposes.
    I just roleplay and act like that unit means an army tradition and over time it just keeps getting replaced with younger soldiers with the older ones go to their homes, thus keeping the unit numbers and tradition intact.
    Well, based on what we now know about historical archery (most of it medieval) it is fair to say that arrows were not very effective against armour. Based on comparisons of technology between medieval times and ancient times, it is also fair to assume that body armour was adequate against the missile weapons of the day. Which leaves the role of archers in direct fire as force multipliers and morale weapons (where arrow fire would decrease morale, break formation cohesion, etc). Also, if we consider that each soldier represents 5, the attrition rate is far too high. That is what I mean. And they fire at a ridiculous range. I know XP is less of an impact but it still feels off to me. Especially in factions that have big reforms.

Anyway, loving my KH campaign... Might be a tad too fast ^^ I am not having problems with public order in greece and macedon has been eliminated from the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus66 View Post
    EB 2 is a great mod and all, but some of the scripted rebellions are down right infuriating: I've been playing as Rome (750 turns or so) and have had nonsensical rebellions, such as Iberian rebellions in Syria, Ptolemaic rebellions in west-Germania, Carthaginian rebellions in Anatolia, Epirote rebellions in Spain, and much more, too many to mention. These rebellions are unhistorical and completely immersion breaking. And more often than not these are unavoidable. I really do hope these broken scripts will be fixed in the future ....
    That's related with the reemerging script. It's something hardcoded, the script has been reduce by Quintus but there isn't much we can do.
    As above, there is basically nothing we can do about this, other than disable the script altogether. It has hardcoded issues that can't be addressed. I'm hoping the simpler version in the patch is less annoying, but we're at the limits of what we can do with it.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

In this respect I've got a home rule:

13) Retrain the high-experience small units (only merge with the new ones)
    (The new recruits should not have the same experience as the veteran soldiers in the units. You cannot make 120-strength golden-chevron unit out of 10 golden-chevron veterans. They may get an initial training - but it's provided by some buildings. Then they should be merged, accepting the lower experience of the new unit. The soldiers in the units in the M2TW live forever anyway, what is not realistic. (Some other arguments are here)
    Mod leader of the SSHIP: traits, ancillaries, scripts, buildings, geography, economy.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    If you want to play a historical mod in the medieval setting the best are:
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project and Broken Crescent.
    Recently, Tsardoms and TGC look also very good. Read my opinions on the other mods here.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    Reviews of the mods (all made in 2018): SSHIP, Wrath of the Norsemen, Broken Crescent.
    Follow home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Hints for Medieval 2 moders: forts, merchants, AT-NGB bug, trade fleets.
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding. Shieldwall is promising!
    Dominant strategy in Rome2, Attila, ToB and Troy: “Sniping groups of armies”. Still there, alas!

mAIOR's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post

(The new recruits should not have the same experience as the veteran soldiers in the units. You cannot make 120-strength golden-chevron unit out of 10 golden-chevron veterans. They may get an initial training - but it's provided by some buildings. Then they should be merged, accepting the lower experience of the new unit. The soldiers in the units in the M2TW live forever anyway, what is not realistic. (Some other arguments are here)
    Hence removing XP gain altogether and just have XP based on the troop type. That way that level of micro management would be abstracted away. But scale is more important atm I believe.

Thanks for the answer, I don't understand much about the script itself, but it would work a lot better if re-emerging factions only re-emerged in their historical native regions. Also a number of the rebellions I've experienced have not been avoidable, and it was scripted that one of my settlements would inevitably rebel, irrelevant of the initial public order, or garrison etc, ... I know it could work a lot better, that's all...

Cheers.

Also perhaps, if the rebellions are going to be inevitable, then a bit of warning ahead would be good, like it is for the scripted rebellions in Liguria, or Asturias, you get a message saying that these regions are difficult to hold ...

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post

This is almost necessary as the Romans, or as a Hellenistic faction if you're not in a source of phalangites. It's also historical because Scipio in his campaigns received reinforcements from Italy on a fairly regular basis, as did Hannibal from Spain at the times when Scipio was unable or unwilling to stop them (hence the battle of the Metaurus, where Gaius Claudius Nero proved himself the equal of Scipio in at least one regard.)
    FREE THE NIPPLE!!!

Is your information about the way Georgians from these regions look today? If so, are you certain these generalities track to the Georgian populations from over two millennia earlier? I ask because it is really important not to read current things back into history.
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

Khevsur's Avatar Senator

Kilo11

modern Kartvelian Peolpe (old colchians and iberians ) have genetic Caucasians, who lived in georgia 10,000 years ago. Georgians are direct descendants old Colchians and Iberians. Today's Kartvelian languages are the same.

kartvelian Tribes also lived in Pontus, cappadocia amd armenia minor.

you do not know, But in Game Cappadocians Warriors are Kartvelian tribes warriors. Ethnos and Language "Cappadocian" - Did not exist

in think Game without Kartvelian( Maybe Ibero-Caucassian peoples) Fraction is a mistake

https://zviadgamsakhurdia.wordpress.com/tag/kartvelian/

https://tsu-ge.academia.edu/GiaKvashilava

Ibero-Caucassian tribes, Direct ancestors of modern Caucasians - Georgians (svans, mingrelians, lazs, and other georgians),adygeans, ossetians, chechen-Ingushs, dagestanians, medieval albanians.

Last edited by Khevsur; September 24, 2020 at 11:49 AM.

Just a remark : It seems that some units available in custom battle are not implemented in the campaign yet, for example, lakonikoi hoplitai, i believe ....

Just a remark : It seems that some units available in custom battle are not implemented in the campaign yet, for example, lakonikoi hoplitai, i believe ....
    Lakonikoi are a reform unit. As KH, you're supposed to upgrade your polis and/or farms in Sparta or something like that.

Upgrade the farms to the one available after Sparta reaches City-level size

Not every unit is available from the start of the game. Some have time-based or activity-based reform triggers. They might still be available in Custom Battles, even though you can't recruit them right away.

Thanks for the advice guys, I appreciate ; although it would be nice though that they could put more of this type of information in the player guide PDF file ...
    (For example with the Romans, i discovered by accident that colonies could be built after disbanding cohorts ...).

Cheers.

Default Fans suggestion thread for future releases

You might want to update the name for the unit ''Erin-mesh Uriki'', as it uses improper Sumerian grammar. ''mesh'' is only a plural marker for Sumerograms in Akkadian, and the plural of the inanimate nouns in Sumerian is unmarked, so it would just be ''Erin''. Also, the ''ki'' of ''Uriki'' is a determinative; it is not pronounced or written in normalizations of cuneiform texts, so you would end up with just ''Erin Uri'' for 'troops of Akkad'.

It might also be a valid suggestion to change the unit-name from Sumerian to Akkadian - both were purely written languages in the Hellenistic period, but even then the understanding of Akkadian was much more intact than that of Sumerian at this point. In Akkadian it would translate to ''ṣāb māt Akkadi'' for 'troops of the land of Akkad'. I cannot speak for the historical application of these terms, but they're grammatically correct, at least.

Note: Akkad is occasionally written ki-Uri in Sumerian, but this is not a form I have seen so frequently.
    Last edited by Abdülmecid I; September 28, 2020 at 03:18 AM. Reason: Merged.

Is it normal that some settlements systematically rebel no matter what ?

For example playing with Rome it was literally impossible to keep Akko for more than 4 turns without a rebellion, and playing with Epirus it was the same with Liguria....

It didn't seem to matter how good the governor was (they would always die in the rebellions anyways), or how many troop I had in the settlement (it could be a full stack it didn't seem to matter). It seemed impossible to even build the low level public order buildings before a rebellion occurred.

I understand that some regions were historically unruly, but by the 6th time you've exterminated the same place, you would expect some improvement, and yet nothing seems to work... What the hell am I doing wrong here ?

Cheers.

Try moving the capital closer to the rebellious settlement.

Quote Originally Posted by santakku View Post
    You might want to update the name for the unit ''Erin-mesh Uriki'', as it uses improper Sumerian grammar. ''mesh'' is only a plural marker for Sumerograms in Akkadian, and the plural of the inanimate nouns in Sumerian is unmarked, so it would just be ''Erin''. Also, the ''ki'' of ''Uriki'' is a determinative; it is not pronounced or written in normalizations of cuneiform texts, so you would end up with just ''Erin Uri'' for 'troops of Akkad'.

It might also be a valid suggestion to change the unit-name from Sumerian to Akkadian - both were purely written languages in the Hellenistic period, but even then the understanding of Akkadian was much more intact than that of Sumerian at this point. In Akkadian it would translate to ''ṣāb māt Akkadi'' for 'troops of the land of Akkad'. I cannot speak for the historical application of these terms, but they're grammatically correct, at least.

Note: Akkad is occasionally written ki-Uri in Sumerian, but this is not a form I have seen so frequently.
    Oops, looks like I forgot the 'u'. It would be ṣābū māt Akkadi (with a plural -ū).

Is it normal that some settlements systematically rebel no matter what ?

For example playing with Rome it was literally impossible to keep Akko for more than 4 turns without a rebellion, and playing with Epirus it was the same with Liguria....

It didn't seem to matter how good the governor was (they would always die in the rebellions anyways), or how many troop I had in the settlement (it could be a full stack it didn't seem to matter). It seemed impossible to even build the low level public order buildings before a rebellion occurred.

I understand that some regions were historically unruly, but by the 6th time you've exterminated the same place, you would expect some improvement, and yet nothing seems to work... What the hell am I doing wrong here ?

Cheers.
    There's a Troublesome Regions script for places that were historically unruly. Liguria is one of those on the list.

Your problem with Akko is more likely related to it's size and difference in culture to your own.