Thread: Fans suggestion thread for future releases

Default Re: Fans suggestion thread for future releases

At that point AS and Ptolemaioi more or less have to pay for their settler cities twice, which isn't great. Consolidating as I suggested leaves cheap reforms for AS and Ptol while costing the normal amount for NoMak regions.

Real talk, I don't understand what good it does limiting helcon_three construction to places that had Makedonians. It's definitely a lot of work to decipher the "not greek1 and not hellen2 and event_counter" mumbo jumbo, but differentiating helcon_three recruitment province by province is certainly doable, and mechanically would be the simplest and most elegant solution. Is the main reason y'all are stuck to the way colonies currently work because you are unwilling to rework the recruitment, or is there a thematic/historical reason for helcon_three to be limited to Makedonian-settled provinces?

The latter, helcol_three only represents the places that had large-scale Makedonian migration.

Helcol_ref is a "what if" for places that didn't historically expand as large as that, and a gameplay conceit to allow conversion to continue.

Coding new pools isn't that big a deal, the helcol_three used to have them before it was changed.

I was recently playing a Pergamon campaign, and my Galatian client ruler led his troops to a "Heroic Victory" over the Seleukids, killing their Basileos in the process...

Needless to say, I was very impressed, and when the "Man of the Hour" event kicked in after the battle, I immediately adopted him into my family.

Unfortunately, he still has the Client Ruler trait, so I can't bring him into any non-client city without triggering the Interloper penalty, and he's stuck with reduced movement.

Would there be a way to use the script to remove the client ruler trait (if it is present) upon adoption into the family tree? I think this would be a worthwhile addition to the script, despite the rarity of such an event firing for a client ruler.

This way, if the player wants to keep him as a client, all one has to do is decline the offer of adoption.

If the team doesn't want to include such a change in the mod... could someone help me figure out how to add something like this into the script for a submod?
    . .

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksander the Average View Post
    I was recently playing a Pergamon campaign, and my Galatian client ruler led his troops to a "Heroic Victory" over the Seleukids, killing their Basileos in the process...

Needless to say, I was very impressed, and when the "Man of the Hour" event kicked in after the battle, I immediately adopted him into my family.

Unfortunately, he still has the Client Ruler trait, so I can't bring him into any non-client city without triggering the Interloper penalty, and he's stuck with reduced movement.

Would there be a way to use the script to remove the client ruler trait (if it is present) upon adoption into the family tree? I think this would be a worthwhile addition to the script, despite the rarity of such an event firing for a client ruler.

This way, if the player wants to keep him as a client, all one has to do is decline the offer of adoption.

If the team doesn't want to include such a change in the mod... could someone help me figure out how to add something like this into the script for a submod?
    No scripting required, that's a fairly straightforward trigger in the EDCT.

I would suggest you guys doing the Scandinavian land immovable and not traversable unusable because Svuebic CAI constantly has to baby sit with a full stack from Denmark over the water to a rebel stack in Scandinavia and yes it happens in all campaigns, rebels spawn there and stand doing nothing confusing CAI to leave a full stack of troops just to sit and you know that CAI is not "intelligent" to bring a boat and fight rebels over a water gap. Also the same problem again and again is with Belearic Island where one part of it has a city and another a port and traversable land for a full stacks of rebels sitting there confusing CAI. It actually brakes factions who own it.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    No scripting required, that's a fairly straightforward trigger in the EDCT.
    Awesome. Hope to see it in the mod.
    Last edited by Aleksander the Average; April 28, 2021 at 11:55 PM.
    . .

Few suggestions regarding the KH:

- There's a good case to be made for there to be three Sympolitai (top government) available, rather than two. Gameplay-wise, it brings the KH into line with other Hellenistic factions (Epeiros for example) who get three Basilike Patris. Roleplay-wise, this government represents the founding cities of the KH, and the KH was started by three cities; Athens, Sparta and Rhodes.

- I made the suggestion waaaaaay back of enabling Spartan FM's to go into mercenary service, like barbarian FM's. Is this being considered for future updates?

- While we're on the subject of Spartans, in EB1 Spartan suiters/adoptees usually spawned with Agoge traits, is this possible in EB2?

- Will the Olympic traits make a return?

- Thorakitai recruitment as it stands is far too low to replace the classical hoplite for the KH. This leaves the KH in a weird limbo in the late game where neither of its main heavy infantry units are common enough to fill its battle lines properly (unlike the other Hellenes who get phalangites), leaving it to rely on lighter Hellenic troops and regionals (in my late 2.35 KH game I found myself shipping boatloads of Lakonike Hoplitai to warzones from Anatolia to Massalia). Is this by intent?

If not there should really be either another unit/armour-upgrade to plug the gap in the KH late-game roster(chainmail-bearing hoplites anyone?), or Thorakitai/hoplitai recruitment should be tweaked for KH governments.

- Small niggle, but maybe rename the "Navarch" (can't remember how its spelled in-game) ancillary to something more land-based?

As an aside, its 100 turns in to my current game and the Yellow Fever has besieged Lipke. Looks like fully blocking off Cyrene from North Africa is the only way to prevent this. Also happy to see that the lethality is being reduced in the next release. Apart from that, fantastic patch!
    Last edited by Aodh Mór Ó Néill; May 05, 2021 at 08:05 PM.

Antiokhos Euergetes's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I do try and bribe the odd KH family member to be a "mercenary general"

Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Antiokhos Euergetes View Post
    I do try and bribe the odd KH family member to be a "mercenary general"
    That's cool, how often does it work? I can't remember the last time I've been able to successfully bribe anyone, even with tens of thousands in my treasury. Playing on Hard campaign if that makes a difference. And maybe you're going after a single FM unit, no other units attached?

Antiokhos Euergetes's Avatar Protector Domesticus

It is very rare unfortunately I wish they could be recruited

More buildings, much more buildings. I normally stop when I reach the wondrous temple stage.

Historically, it was pretty rare for one nation to completely annihilate, conquer, and subjugate another nation completely. Instead, by winning a series of major battles or conquering an important region, the conquerer would force the defeated to sue for peace. It is then that during peace talks the losing nation is forced to pay huge indemnities, give up vast territories, or even pledge allegiance as a vassal. Examples include the Seleucids after Magnesia and Macedon after Cynoscephalae, both of whom had to cede sizable chunks of their empires. Exceptions would be Rome during the entire Second Punic War (ofc).

In EBII, although the AI does tend to sue for peace after you win a battle or besiege a settlement, that peace-seeking behavior goes out the window the moment you actually take a settlement. Then the AI goes and fights to the bitter end, suing for peace only when reduced to its last settlement. By then you'd want to put the AI out of its misery anyways. Even if you do accept the peace terms before you piss off the AI, you can't really squeeze much out of them. Maybe 5000 mnai would make the deal appear as "balanced". That's nowhere near enough value to buy a settlement, much less enough for you to demand a settlement directly in return for peace.

There's a way to address this through scripting. I do recall stumbling into a file that scripts AI campaign behavior. It already has the "war-seeking" and "diplomatic" systems in place - perhaps the EBII team can look into extending that to make the AI even more peace-seeking to the point of desperation after losing a full-stack battle or two? To the point where triggering this AI state would result in a freshly ceded settlement after negotiations.

can you guys add Megas Basileus trait for Seleucid, Ptolemy, Makedon etc diadochi factions if they conquer or summit all other diadochis. like parthians have

not just megas[the great] trait..

Is it permanent the "Interloper" trait? In my game as AS I conquered Akko and built there a Allied Government but I let my FL inside the settlement for 1 turn. In consequence he acquired the Interloper trait and he kept it for almost 5 years!

About the Satrapies I didn't see in EBII the ancillary "Satrapy of Baktra" which was present in EBI. It can be added?

There are certamen units which are truly expected as the Rhodian and Balearic Slingers (in both cases as faction/regional and as mercenaries), and Syrian Archers.

The trait about Olympic Games is also missed.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandros Megas View Post
    Is it permanent the "Interloper" trait? In my game as AS I conquered Akko and built there a Allied Government but I let my FL inside the settlement for 1 turn. In consequence he acquired the Interloper trait and he kept it for almost 5 years!

About the Satrapies I didn't see in EBII the ancillary "Satrapy of Baktra" which was present in EBI. It can be added?
    You need to spend a turn outside a settlement to clear the Interloper trait.

There are certamen units which are truly expected as the Rhodian and Balearic Slingers (in both cases as faction/regional and as mercenaries), and Syrian Archers.
    Rhodian Apabatoi aren't happening, Balearic Slingers are going to be reworked eventually, the Itureans are the "Syrian Archers".

The trait about Olympic Games is also missed.
    They're not "missing", they haven't been reworked for M2TW yet.

Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Shoebopp View Post
    Historically, it was pretty rare for one nation to completely annihilate, conquer, and subjugate another nation completely. Instead, by winning a series of major battles or conquering an important region, the conquerer would force the defeated to sue for peace.
    I'm all in favor of more decisive battles and wars in general, and if not through diplomacy scripting (or maybe in combination with), how about by making armies harder to come by? Maybe heavily limiting unit pool refresh rates so that it takes years to raise another full stack if you've already got one or two. Then major defeats leave a faction with next to nothing and more likely to accept peace hopefully. I'm getting kind of excited just thinking about it, might just have to figure out how to mod it and test for myself. Probably start with something like 20 turns (5 years) for the average unit to become available again, which just guessing is something like 4x longer than default or so? Could be good to go with some multiplier like 4x or 5x and apply across the board to all units to start off testing, but would also need to account for those special units which already have long refresh times and possibly adjust those.... Just thinking out loud now, this could be fun

Default for a 1-point pool is either 33 turns (if 0.03) or 25 turns (if 0.04). It's when more than one point is devoted to a unit that refresh rates get fast.

Campidoctor

Thanks. Does 1-point pool refer to a pool cap of 1, or nothing to do with pool cap? I'm looking at export_descr_unit, not seeing a reference to anything that seems relevant other than refresh rate and pool cap, not sure if what you're referring to is maybe in another file?

Edit: ok I'm pretty sure that's what it is based on what you said and how refresh rates look and are reflected in game. Now to figure out a way to automate the process of applying a multiplier so I don't have to manually do hundreds of entries then possibly redo many times over to test different values

Quote Originally Posted by Dooz View Post
    Thanks. Does 1-point pool refer to a pool cap of 1, or nothing to do with pool cap? I'm looking at export_descr_unit, not seeing a reference to anything that seems relevant other than refresh rate and pool cap, not sure if what you're referring to is maybe in another file?

Edit: ok I'm pretty sure that's what it is based on what you said and how refresh rates look and are reflected in game. Now to figure out a way to automate the process of applying a multiplier so I don't have to manually do hundreds of entries then possibly redo many times over to test different values
    It's a pool cap of 1 in the EDB (not the EDU), which is the smallest unit of "budget" in there.

Campidoctor

Oh no, just realized the line I was referring to in edu is just a comment line anyway. So the only way to mod all unit refresh rates is edb and that's not just a single unit edit solution, but many multiples over across every settlement... Do you guys on the team use some kind of automation tool to make sweeping changes to things like this when you test new stuff, or are you manually slaving away in the coding mines forever?