Thread: Fans suggestion thread for future releases

Plaut's Avatar Civis

Default Re: Fans suggestion thread for future releases

Make it less complicate to install is the only suggestion everything else is just fine.

a couple more ideas. as some of my viewers pointed out, AI cavalry isnt behaving great once the charge is complete and just gets bogged down in the melee. apparently the DEI (mod for Rome 2) solves this issues by labeling heavy shock cavalry, as regular, which allows for a better cycle of AI recharging. can this be applied to M2TW?
    also, Rome 2 cavalry in general is behaving aggressively when in close combat, with horses moving about more, kicking etc. is it possible to port this animation and its effects to M2TW?
    Last edited by Sarkiss; September 27, 2021 at 11:37 AM.

I don't know if anyone has ever suggested this or that it's planned to be added in one day but... Why does EBII not use the permanent forts as minor settlements the way 1648 and Tsardoms do it? Some areas in the game in particular like the Levant and Sicily are sorely lacking when it comes to this feature's absence. Areas are just way too easily and quickly conquered while in real life they were disputed for a long time and every war that was fought over them was a brutal slog. Adding permanent forts can help to greatly to rectify this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleitus the Pink View Post
    I don't know if anyone has ever suggested this or that it's planned to be added in one day but... Why does EBII not use the permanent forts as minor settlements the way 1648 and Tsardoms do it? Some areas in the game in particular like the Levant and Sicily are sorely lacking when it comes to this feature's absence. Areas are just way too easily and quickly conquered while in real life they were disputed for a long time and every war that was fought over them was a brutal slog. Adding permanent forts can help to greatly to rectify this problem.
    IIRC it was attempted earlier in development, but abandoned in favor of current use since AI had problems handling it, defending the minor settlement while leaving the actual city barely defended.

Antiokhos Euergetes's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I have often asked about psfs too. I must say playing both Tsardoms and 1648 on a regular basis I do not find any issues. On the contrary they are a emersion must I believe, just thinking about the tetrapolis of Seleukeia as one example

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by Cleitus the Pink View Post
    This entry provides some insights into potential pitfalls related to the PSFs irrespectively from the mod.

Quote Originally Posted by Sar1n View Post
    IIRC it was attempted earlier in development, but abandoned in favor of current use since AI had problems handling it, defending the minor settlement while leaving the actual city barely defended.
    yes but that had to do with the values attached to the forts. they were off in EB due to lack of know-how. Tsardoms cracked it and EB team is aware of how to prevent the AI from behaving the way it used to. in other words, it is doable but im not sure if anyone's actually working on it. hope forts will be in one day.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarkiss View Post
    yes but that had to do with the values attached to the forts. they were off in EB due to lack of know-how. Tsardoms cracked it and EB team is aware of how to prevent the AI from behaving the way it used to. in other words, it is doable but im not sure if anyone's actually working on it. hope forts will be in one day.
    This is fantastic news!!!

It would be such a missed chance not to apply it... Already dreaming about the combination of the newer/improved map plus permanent forts, finally being able to represent minor influential cities in a territory, but also slowing down conquest across the map for both the player (hopefully) and AI... Marvellous!

Even better when M2TW Engine Overhaul Project finally allows recruitment and economy simulation in these forts... Damn!

P.S: I wonder if the EBII team is also reflecting on the map the "natural historical paths" in order to conquer some regions or territories, in which mountains/relief was a crucial part in defending their homelands by the locals at that time.
    Last edited by jdofo; September 29, 2021 at 12:11 PM.

hope M2TW Engine Overhaul Project is still alive. what would also be great is to see a Remastered M2TW at some point, with bugs from Kingdom's fixed, a few new features hopefully implemented to both battles and campaign (imagine the ability to dismount for mounted units!), as well as limits on factions etc expanded and moddability unchanged or improved. now that would probably be the only TW game/base im ever going to require till the rest of my days

hope M2TW Engine Overhaul Project is still alive. what would also be great is to see a Remastered M2TW at some point, with bugs from Kingdom's fixed, a few new features hopefully implemented to both battles and campaign (imagine the ability to dismount for mounted units!), as well as limits on factions etc expanded and moddability unchanged or improved. now that would probably be the only TW game/base im ever going to require till the rest of my days
    Absolutely, fair enough

But what about knowing that M2TW Engine Overhaul Project (Discord --> the active one) is leading towards

Erken is already quite familiar there, nailing the allowance of choosing your heir in EBII (M2TW), for 's sake

I know they're cooking guuut staff...
    Last edited by jdofo; October 02, 2021 at 10:08 AM.

The Great Khan of Rome's Avatar Civis

Bringing back RTW features would be amazing. The pop mechanics along with shields working properly (they're more along the lines of front armor, giving 50/50 for both sides of the front), swimming for light units, sappers.
    Creator of UNREAL, balance mod series that promises changes to everything Total War, and it's offshoots, MEGA for other games. Basically, I'm reject Radious.

Quote Originally Posted by The Great Khan of Rome View Post
    Bringing back RTW features would be amazing. The pop mechanics along with shields working properly (they're more along the lines of front armor, giving 50/50 for both sides of the front), swimming for light units, sappers.
    battles worked better in RTW. aside from unit diversity, is there a single thing about Med2 battles that is superior to RTW? swimming can be enabled in Med2. In fact Bulat Steel i started a letsplay with has many 'swimming' units. with sappers, yeah, shame they got rid of it. mining was a major part of siege warfare, in the east and during the crusades. there should be 3 ways to deal with the walls (over, under and through) as was historically the case.

The Great Khan of Rome's Avatar Civis

Unit cohesion is a problem in particular. It's better in RTW, which is why I tend to like battles better there. In Med2 buggy lines are common. In RTW though pursuing and charges is glitchy. They don't do it half the time and units just don't listen to you and they do whatever, which is a thing I like in modern total war titles. They're also kind of dumb as result of that. They sit and die the middle of fights. There's a point in simulation where collides with gameplay and think that's it. Doubling the reaction time when orders are released would help.
    Creator of UNREAL, balance mod series that promises changes to everything Total War, and it's offshoots, MEGA for other games. Basically, I'm reject Radious.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

battles worked better in RTW. aside from unit diversity, is there a single thing about Med2 battles that is superior to RTW? swimming can be enabled in Med2. In fact Bulat Steel i started a letsplay with has many 'swimming' units. with sappers, yeah, shame they got rid of it. mining was a major part of siege warfare, in the east and during the crusades. there should be 3 ways to deal with the walls (over, under and through) as was historically the case.
    iirc, there're many aspects of the Med2 engine that were superior to those of the RTW. Pathfinding and AI behaviour to start. There're many discussions on this, even in the EBII thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    iirc, there're many aspects of the Med2 engine that were superior to those of the RTW. Pathfinding and AI behaviour to start. There're many discussions on this, even in the EBII thread.
    no one denies that, i was talking of battles specifically. i think there is still propensity for general suicidal charges in vanilla Med2 iirc? agree on CAI, but you seem to forget the dreadful AI wall-walking habits, where its almost impossible to get them to move sometimes. what about siege towers troops getting stuck and require multiple extra clicks? also positioning units within settlement is a pain, the gate defense is bugged out etc. i know RTW wasnt perfect, but Med2 battles are not much better, with unresponsive units and awful sieges.

Again. Please, downsize the graphic/area of the siege camp around the city. It's virtually impossible to move an army next to the besieged city to act as reinforcements without clicking the city itself.

Didn't play much but i will try to list a few things that might make the game better. First, archers and projectile units in general are largely uneffective against armored targets and only inflict heavy losses on unarmored ones. Armor piercing units like axemen and clubmen are not really worth it because the damage bonus given by the armor piercing attack is mitigated by the relatively low attack of said units and low armor value of units in general. Infantry units are too much packed up due to the small radius ( 0.4 was vanilla value for infantry, EB2 gives something like 0.2 for tightly packed hoplites and phalangites, but this way they are too easy to flank and encircle ).

Then i will say something about the unit cards, that sometimes do not match the in battle textures, so for example the kretikoi toxotai card shows an armored archer but then the unit info card shows an unarmored one. Another example, xystophoroi info card shows an horseman with linen cuirass but then in battle the soldiers are unarmored and so on with many units.

Quote Originally Posted by randy_cat View Post
    Didn't play much but i will try to list a few things that might make the game better. First, archers and projectile units in general are largely uneffective against armored targets and only inflict heavy losses on unarmored ones. Armor piercing units like axemen and clubmen are not really worth it because the damage bonus given by the armor piercing attack is mitigated by the relatively low attack of said units and low armor value of units in general. Infantry units are too much packed up due to the small radius ( 0.4 was vanilla value for infantry, EB2 gives something like 0.2 for tightly packed hoplites and phalangites, but this way they are too easy to flank and encircle ).

Then i will say something about the unit cards, that sometimes do not match the in battle textures, so for example the kretikoi toxotai card shows an armored archer but then the unit info card shows an unarmored one. Another example, xystophoroi info card shows an horseman with linen cuirass but then in battle the soldiers are unarmored and so on with many units.

• The ineffectiveness of projectile units against armored units is very much intentional, you are supposed to hit them in the UNSHIELDED flanks and rear to deal any meaningful damage. If missiles are inffectie against armored units, then those units are doing their jobs
    • I do agree that a small buff to clubs could be in order although I am more hesitant to advocate for a widespread buff to axes (Massagetae Riders already have an axe attack of 8 which borders the attack of some sword units and the Zabatat already has a base AP Axe attack of 9 which is already quite high). As far as I can see, axes in general are in a good place.
    • As for packed formation, this is fine as these units need that packed formation to maintain ground (Formationas in Medieval Europe were for the most part less rigid than the ones used by Professionals in antiquity such as the Romans). They are not standalone units and will need support from other infantry and cavalry to avoid being encircles as the ancients did . Alternatively you could deploy them in thinner lines...but that carries its own dangers.
    To fight and conquer in all our battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.
    - Sun Tzu

Quote Originally Posted by realm56 View Post
    • The ineffectiveness of projectile units against armored units is very much intentional, you are supposed to hit them in the UNSHIELDED flanks and rear to deal any meaningful damage. If missiles are inffectie against armored units, then those units are doing their jobs
    • I do agree that a small buff to clubs could be in order although I am more hesitant to advocate for a widespread buff to axes (Massagetae Riders already have an axe attack of 8 which borders the attack of some sword units and the Zabatat already has a base AP Axe attack of 9 which is already quite high). As far as I can see, axes in general are in a good place.
    • As for packed formation, this is fine as these units need that packed formation to maintain ground (Formationas in Medieval Europe were for the most part less rigid than the ones used by Professionals in antiquity such as the Romans). They are not standalone units and will need support from other infantry and cavalry to avoid being encircles as the ancients did . Alternatively you could deploy them in thinner lines...but that carries its own dangers.
    Well, yeah you are kind of right, yet i don't fully agree with EB2 battle mechanics. I know hoplites and phalanxes are supposed to be packed up but in the game they don't perform very well, it's easy to flank and envelop them with more loose formations, but they are excellent at defending cities or bridges for example.

The armor piercing weapons like axes, maces, machaia, romphaia etc... are supposed to hack the enemy to pieces at the cost of less defense as far as i see it, expecially when hitting from the flanks or rear, but in the game it's not quite so, it's for the most part a sluggish contest of slow grinding, and usually units with higher armor and defense come out as the victors.

As for projectile units, i agree that arrows and javelins are not supposed to win a battle alone yet i have seen for example volleys of javelins doing no damage at all against armoured and shielded foes, but this at least reminds me of old MTW1 where projectile units were overall weak unless hitting unshielded soldiers.

Are you planning to add more sound effect and music in future releases? I think the more the merrier.
    Since there is a limit of music’s recordings in that era, may I suggest that you just read out loud texts, books, chants, bibles,….. in ancient languages, and use them as music. It’s likely to hurt your ears, but also feel fun and authentic
    And general’s speeches, if you are shy at saying filthy thing, mabe just record real quote like in loading scene in that ancient language.
    Can the game make different sound while clicking different cities? Click Roma the game say “Roma in Provincia Lativm in Italia in magna Europa” or click Capua then “ Capua in provincia Campania in Italia in magna Europa”. Those recordings would be fun.
    Is there any hardcoded limit regarding the number of music file? If there is, merging audio file can a solution.