Page 19 of 127 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819202122232425262728294469119 ... LastLast

Thread: Fans suggestion thread for future releases

Default Re: Fans suggestion thread for future releases

I'm not sure about the Mauryan War Elephants. I've found some old screenshots from 2 years back of Mauryan-styled armoured elephants (that is, not Hellenistic), but they're not in the game. At this point, I'm not sure what the plans for them are, or whether the files for the Mauryan armoured elephants are still around. The person who was working on them isn't around any more. I'll have to ask some of the older members about this.

Taksashila has a heavy chariot bodyguard planned for them, though I'm not sure what the status on that is right now. There was a discussion about whether the Indian FMs should use chariots or elephants that never really got resolved. Depictions of royalty riding into battle on chariots are more common compared to royalty riding on elephants in this time period, apparently.

Either way, Taksashila will eventually get a royal chariot unit. The current chariots are listed as 'light chariots', for comparison.

There are no plans for a heavy swordsmen unit at the moment.

Biarchus

It's a shame people just drop off the face of the world like that. Unless something tragic happened you would hope that if a team member didn't want to participate anymore they would update the other team members and send all the items they were working on before quitting the team. It seems like I have heard of this happening several times now.

What we clearly need is the re-introduction of Berserkers. Or possibly to give the Spartans launching ability on their attacks. Just something to make the incredible distances enemies were flung in real life by weapons more apparent.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylon View Post
    Taksashila has a heavy chariot bodyguard planned for them, though I'm not sure what the status on that is right now. There was a discussion about whether the Indian FMs should use chariots or elephants that never really got resolved. Depictions of royalty riding into battle on chariots are more common compared to royalty riding on elephants in this time period, apparently.
    It's more about preferences and tactical decision whether royalties in India used chariots or elephants. I'd say for elephants for Taksashila, but chariots if the whole of Mauryan empire is represented. The terrains in central India would suite chariots more than the diverse north-west where Taksashila viceroyalty is located. The preferences are wide across India. The Kings of the southern tamil kingdom's have depictions stating the use of horses, elephant's and chariots alike and preferences across the Mauryan empire must have been equally diverse. So it's tough to decide on surely, but elephant bodyguards would mean they're not left without important component of the four-armed army of infantry, cavalry, elephants and chariots.

Either way, Taksashila will eventually get a royal chariot unit. The current chariots are listed as 'light chariots', for comparison.
    Not sure about 2 tiers of chariots since charioteering itself was considered royal
    There are no plans for a heavy swordsmen unit at the moment.
    A heavier infantry, either spear and sword or a javelin and sword can be researched on, not every higher tier of the Ksatriya would decide to fight using mace some would prefer sword or spear (swords most likely) + there's always a difference between the higher-tired Ksatriyas who see military service as duty and the men from other castes who come to earn a fortune and Mauryan empire recruited men across all castes into the standing army.

EB is known for extensive researching so in the end you guys are better at coming into right conclusions.
    Last edited by svramj; November 21, 2015 at 03:43 AM.

Good news! The Mauryan Indian Armoured Elephants were saved on the team's storage network. They just hadn't been integrated into the development build. They've undergone a little bit of fixing up and are now in the mod. Screenshots of these new elephants will be uploaded onto the team twitter once I clarify with the historians as to what type of riders they should have.

Good news! The Mauryan Indian Armoured Elephants were saved on the team's storage network. They just hadn't been integrated into the development build. They've undergone a little bit of fixing up and are now in the mod. Screenshots of these new elephants will be uploaded onto the team twitter once I clarify with the historians as to what type of riders they should have.
    Wow, this is a pleasant surprise, good work everyone! I'm seriously getting excited about the Autumn Release I'll definitely be trying out an Indian campaign.

Cheers Sylon

Also It'd be nice if Taksashila had missions and rewards from the Mauryan empire. Just reducing a standard 3000 credits every winter seems a bit unrealistic coz they're not a tributary but part of the Mauryan empire itself trying to rebel under a new leader, even that can be regulated based on number of settlements under Taksashila or greater percentage of income (>60% or so) from their income every season. Missions like "capture a Mauryan traitors settlement in the name of the emperor" will make them intriguing in the early stages of the game.
    Last edited by svramj; November 26, 2015 at 08:23 AM.

So we would also get armoured elephants soon?! That's awesome news Sylon my thanks to you and the rest of the EBII Team

While we're on the topic of elephants I would like to mention that I am surprised to found that Seleukid elephants weren't decorated Indian-style like in the unit card but actually has aspis shields on the tower and banners with the symbol of the vergilian sun.
    But one thing that bugs me is that most of the shields on the tower has the letter "A" on them is this intentional by the team?
    I thought it was out of place that ancient greeks would decorate their shields with modern latin letters
    And while were at it why the vergilian sun? Shouldn't the Seleukids be represented better with their dynastic insignia, the anchor? I remember that Epeiros also has elephants as their starting unit and does they share the same model?

One more thing why place indian archer on the top? I understand that since the elephants are imported changing the mahout is proabably impossible but archers can be filled by anyone right? If anything changing the archers from Indian to Greek would make the unit feel more distinct than the Indian ones, like two different units using the same unit slot.
    Especially since I found out today that a captain model could also be placed on the tower

Would it be possible to add an optional file for download where spearmen wield underhand. I like to imagine them changing it than always seeing the overhand animation like when being charged by cavalry and such. maybe u can make two versions one that changes all spearmen including hoplites and the other maybe leave hoplite as they are now. it was a pretty popular mod a guy made for EB1 so i guess lots wil like it.

then i hear u still make some changes to map. i think it's always nice that ports are kinda close to their province capital for gameplay reasons. especially for coastal cities, places like byzantion and halikarnassos kinda stood out there as being to far away maybe change them some closer. and ibiza is kinda weird also, maybe it was better as palma with the port on mallorca also.

then city spacing also, this has come up i think but i rly like that u removed chalkis and jeruzalem and some others 'cauze it was such a dense area in EB1. so i notice that ephesus kinda stands out now as overcrowded also the parthian area and maybe gaul also like lugdonun. i agree it shouldn't be a chessboard also with pęrfectly spaced settlements, but for gameplay maybe little too much.

Quote Originally Posted by alfaomegazzz View Post
    Would it be possible to add an optional file for download where spearmen wield underhand. I like to imagine them changing it than always seeing the overhand animation like when being charged by cavalry and such. maybe u can make two versions one that changes all spearmen including hoplites and the other maybe leave hoplite as they are now. it was a pretty popular mod a guy made for EB1 so i guess lots wil like it.
    I'm afraid not on this one, it'll have to be a fan-led submod if someone really wants it. While it might be a relatively small change to a model, to do that for the 20+ models that do wield overhand is a non-trivial task for very little reward. That's without considering the need to change animations for those units (in the EDU) and the impact on things like clipping into shields, the man behind and so on. It's a big job for purely cosmetic reasons.

It also doesn't take into account that the overhand grip generally denotes a professional/trained unit and they have different stats as a result.

then i hear u still make some changes to map. i think it's always nice that ports are kinda close to their province capital for gameplay reasons. especially for coastal cities, places like byzantion and halikarnassos kinda stood out there as being to far away maybe change them some closer. and ibiza is kinda weird also, maybe it was better as palma with the port on mallorca also.

then city spacing also, this has come up i think but i rly like that u removed chalkis and jeruzalem and some others 'cauze it was such a dense area in EB1. so i notice that ephesus kinda stands out now as overcrowded also the parthian area and maybe gaul also like lugdonun. i agree it shouldn't be a chessboard also with pęrfectly spaced settlements, but for gameplay maybe little too much.
    Ports are generally located where significant coastal settlements were, they're not randomly dotted around at the closest bit of beach. I don't think the gameplay justification stands up, nor the fact that it might look "neater".

There's been some rebalancing of settlement distribution in the autumn release, but more changes after that are unlikely.

Yeah, i tried it and it only works for the units in loose formations. Hoplites and such look a bit cramped up and clipping. And making small changes to the map isn't so hard if u take some time for it either.

Yeah, i tried it and it only works for the units in loose formations. Hoplites and such look a bit cramped up and clipping. And making small changes to the map isn't so hard if u take some time for it either.
    The issue is not the implementing of changes to the map, it's getting agreement within the team to make them. It's one of the most contentious topics where everyone has a different viewpoint.

I doubt any further changes to the map will be taking place. Hierosolyma isn't coming back, Akko was a more important settlement to the factions we have, in 272BC.

tomySVK's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Imperial Pudding Head View Post
    So we would also get armoured elephants soon?! That's awesome news Sylon my thanks to you and the rest of the EBII Team

While we're on the topic of elephants I would like to mention that I am surprised to found that Seleukid elephants weren't decorated Indian-style like in the unit card but actually has aspis shields on the tower and banners with the symbol of the vergilian sun.
    But one thing that bugs me is that most of the shields on the tower has the letter "A" on them is this intentional by the team?
    I thought it was out of place that ancient greeks would decorate their shields with modern latin letters
    And while were at it why the vergilian sun? Shouldn't the Seleukids be represented better with their dynastic insignia, the anchor? I remember that Epeiros also has elephants as their starting unit and does they share the same model?

One more thing why place indian archer on the top? I understand that since the elephants are imported changing the mahout is proabably impossible but archers can be filled by anyone right? If anything changing the archers from Indian to Greek would make the unit feel more distinct than the Indian ones, like two different units using the same unit slot.
    Especially since I found out today that a captain model could also be placed on the tower
    I´m also curious about this topic. I hope we will get answer soon

Ἀπολλόδοτος Α΄ ὁ Σωτήρ's Avatar Yeah science!
    Civitate

Alpha is usually written in that way, you are probably probably thinking about lop-sided alpha (the one that looks like lambda which has lop-sided dash between the sides) which is archaic.
    Last edited by Ἀπολλόδοτος Α΄ ὁ Σω November 28, 2015 at 11:34 AM.
    "First get your facts straight, then distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain

οὐκ ἦν μὲν ἐγώ, νῦν δ' εἰμί· τότε δ' ούκ ἔσομαι, ούδέ μοι μελήσει

Just wanted to briefly discuss client ruler design in its current form.

- Is it correct and WAI that client rulers, once they died (in battle or via assassination), cannot be replaced?
    - Currently, you can build a client ruler, and then just "normally" build up your government types as you wish. I don't think I fully understand the role of the client ruler in its current state. Wouldn't it make sense that you can only have client rulers in a city if you went with allied city states/allied clans etc.?

A suggestion from my side: Perhaps it would be possible to let a client ruler go rogue once you install other government types in that settlement. By go rogue, I mean that said client ruler leaves the city with a spawned stack and potentially threatens your control over the region.
    Chronicles of Cimmeria - A Kimmerios Bosporos AAR (EB2)
    The Age of Peace - A TW: Warhammer Empire AAR
    Blood Red Eagle - The Sons of Lodbrok Invasion of Northumbrialand [complete]
    Machines - A Sci-Fi Short Story [complete]

Quote Originally Posted by Zeion View Post
    Just wanted to briefly discuss client ruler design in its current form.

- Is it correct and WAI that client rulers, once they died (in battle or via assassination), cannot be replaced?
    - Currently, you can build a client ruler, and then just "normally" build up your government types as you wish. I don't think I fully understand the role of the client ruler in its current state. Wouldn't it make sense that you can only have client rulers in a city if you went with allied city states/allied clans etc.?

A suggestion from my side: Perhaps it would be possible to let a client ruler go rogue once you install other government types in that settlement. By go rogue, I mean that said client ruler leaves the city with a spawned stack and potentially threatens your control over the region.
    They can be replaced - you have to "re-install" a new one by destroying the existing Allied Government and building a new one. That will refresh the Client Ruler pool, but entail cost and disruption.

If a Client is in a factional government settlement, the pick up an escalating negative trait, Imposter.

Willhelm123's Avatar Decanus

Does the team know about the lithic stone helmets from ptolemaic memphis? If not i could provide several images of them. They are very elaborated and some of them appear to be very unique
    AE Dev, mainly units

tomySVK's Avatar Campidoctor

I was thinking about this section, my bad Apollodotos. My question is if the Hellenistic factions will get their own crew on elephants?

Quote Originally Posted by z3n View Post
    The aggressive CAI for EBII is already complete. In fact it's the only CAI out of any mod to have the slave faction attack you.
    This is just awesome!!!

Willhelm123's Avatar Decanus

If you want to see how cool the Kushites/Meroe can be, check out the preview for Ancient Empires.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...IEW&p=14785042
    AE Dev, mainly units