Thread: Fans suggestion thread for future releases

Grimmy's Avatar Ordinarius

Default Re: Fans suggestion thread for future releases

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    The cultural conversion is a non-starter; buildings can only have one culture.
    There are no buildings that add to cultural conversion rate?

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmy View Post
    There are no buildings that add to cultural conversion rate?
    Yes, but they can only do it for one culture. As in you specify with the building what culture it converts to, and it will only do that one. Which is no use for buildings used by multiple factions with different cultures.

My bad.

I didn't explain my thoughts well.

What I meant was that when a culture builds the school system, it would be reasonable if that building line gave a small boost to cultural conversion and law for that culture that built it.

Yeah, this is what Quintus is saying doesn't work. In order for this to work, there would need to be a separate "Schools" building chain for each culture. That is because, if schools convert culture, then they can only be coded to convert toward a single culture. It is a quirk of the Medieval II mechanics, but from what I know, it is hardcoded, and cannot be got around in any fashion. Basically, anything to do with the religion mechanic (which EBII has co-opted to "culture") is locked to a specific religion (EBII "culture"), and cannot convert to anything but that one religion/culture. Moreover, I think any buildings locked to a religion/culture will be automatically destroyed when a faction of another religion/culture takes the settlement (not totally certain of that though).

Unfortunately, the long and short of all this is that your suggestion just isn't really implementable. At least not without copying out the "Schools" building tree a few times. And I think EBII is pretty close to the limit for building trees, so such a small but tree intensive change is unlikely to be implemented.
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by Kilo11 View Post
    I think any buildings locked to a religion/culture will be automatically destroyed when a faction of another religion/culture takes the settlement (not totally certain of that though).
    I have in my notes (that are in the SSHIP EDB, you can always access them):
    ; - "temple_" : building with "religion" line in the benefits will be automatically destroyed upon capturing the settlement by a faction of different religion.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    I have in my notes (that are in the SSHIP EDB, you can always access them):
    ; - "temple_" : building with "religion" line in the benefits will be automatically destroyed upon capturing the settlement by a faction of different religion.
    Halfway there: it also needs the city\castle definition. The temple prefix on it's own only prevents additional buildings with the same prefix from getting constructed.

Flaming pigs, Gladiators (probably a bit late for EB) and other limited use fun units could be implemented as mercenaries instead of faction units so they don't chew faction unit slots. They could then be made available only by script to certain factions or circumstances. Obviously a use of incendiary pigs would automatically increase your supply level. I would love to see peasants and stone throwing peasants in rebellious settlements as in EB1, maybe even added by script as mercenaries...
    I think the M2TW vanilla has some form of wagon (IIRC it held the cross) with combatant priests/guards. Perhaps it could be modded to be used as a similar inspiring holy symbol/group of sacrificing druids for certain armies or alternatively a baggage cart or sige device for the human player.
    After cataphract camels, camels disguised as elephants!

Yeah, this is what Quintus is saying doesn't work. In order for this to work, there would need to be a separate "Schools" building chain for each culture. That is because, if schools convert culture, then they can only be coded to convert toward a single culture. It is a quirk of the Medieval II mechanics, but from what I know, it is hardcoded, and cannot be got around in any fashion. Basically, anything to do with the religion mechanic (which EBII has co-opted to "culture") is locked to a specific religion (EBII "culture"), and cannot convert to anything but that one religion/culture. Moreover, I think any buildings locked to a religion/culture will be automatically destroyed when a faction of another religion/culture takes the settlement (not totally certain of that though).

Unfortunately, the long and short of all this is that your suggestion just isn't really implementable. At least not without copying out the "Schools" building tree a few times. And I think EBII is pretty close to the limit for building trees, so such a small but tree intensive change is unlikely to be implemented.
    Oh, ok. Makes total sense. I didn't realize the school line wasn't unique for each faction.

Thanks for the explaination.

Quote Originally Posted by Porphyrogenita View Post
    Flaming pigs, Gladiators (probably a bit late for EB) and other limited use fun units could be implemented as mercenaries instead of faction units so they don't chew faction unit slots. They could then be made available only by script to certain factions or circumstances. Obviously a use of incendiary pigs would automatically increase your supply level. I would love to see peasants and stone throwing peasants in rebellious settlements as in EB1, maybe even added by script as mercenaries...
    I think the M2TW vanilla has some form of wagon (IIRC it held the cross) with combatant priests/guards. Perhaps it could be modded to be used as a similar inspiring holy symbol/group of sacrificing druids for certain armies or alternatively a baggage cart or sige device for the human player.
    After cataphract camels, camels disguised as elephants!
    I'm afraid you have the wrong thread, you want this one.

Anyway, there are no "faction unit slots", only global cap, and EB, with all the planned but not yet implemented units is coming very close to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sar1n View Post
    Anyway, there are no "faction unit slots", only global cap, and EB, with all the planned but not yet implemented units is coming very close to it.
    This. There are 498 available slots for units, we have plans for all of them.

I did a few long (~1000 turns) campaigns since the release of 2.3.5 and here is my feedback about some balance issues I noticed. Maybe you are already aware of this or maybe it has already been fixed in the development version, but here it is anyway.

1. Romans usually struggle to expand in the early and mid game, but once they reach Marian reforms they steam roll everyone. Never played them so I don't know how they work, but they seem to have huge pools of Cohors Reformata because I see full stacks of these units everywhere. Maybe expand a little bit the recruitment options before Marian reforms and decrease the pools after would help.

2. Nomadic/pastoralist factions tend to be a bit weak. This is noticeable in the mid to late game where they usually get destroyed by an expanding Makedonia, Hayastan, Arche Seleukideia or post-marian SPQR. For example, Romans usually expand in Celtic, Germanic and Sarmatian lands before even setting foot on Asia Minor (or Africa, but that's another problem). Also, Pahlava rarely expand in Persia and Saka Rauka struggle to survive against Baktria. Maybe an economic boost for camps or increase of the recruitment pools would help.

3. Related to the previous point, Mediterranean factions not only have an easy time to expand in nomadic/pastoralist regions but they also keep them very easily. They garrison these regions with a single unit and almost never get a rebellion. Nomadic/pastoralist regions should be of low economic value for agrarian factions and very hard to control, maybe a big malus for happiness/law/income would help.

Is it possible to create an additional "custom army or group formation"? I mean a formation that the player can set up at the start of the game (with the possibility to modify) and then use it to deploy the armies throughout the game?

Army deployment usually takes a couple of minutes, but will be cool if most / if not all of the army can be deployed without picking units one at a time. My observation is that I generally use one main deployment formation and modify it only on rare occasions.

Quote Originally Posted by nickygg View Post
    Is it possible to create an additional "custom army or group formation"? I mean a formation that the player can set up at the start of the game (with the possibility to modify) and then use it to deploy the armies throughout the game?

Army deployment usually takes a couple of minutes, but will be cool if most / if not all of the army can be deployed without picking units one at a time. My observation is that I generally use one main deployment formation and modify it only on rare occasions.
    Not possible as far as I'm aware of. M2TW has different settings in regard to formations, but some modders have done some work to introduce different formations, which I actually want to try.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Existing preset formations can be changed in descr_formations_ai, it's not for the fainthearted.

First of all thank you for this great mod. I discovered it recently and just finish my first campaign with the Romans, a very enjoyable experience. I have some suggestions that mainly relate to this campaign (maybe also for other factions, but I have yet to play them). Firstly, I was thinking if it will be possible to create a building chain to improve sanitation (food imports) based on the regions owned. Lets say that as Rome you conquer Sicily (or Africa or Egypt will work for this), you could build something like a "grain export" that adds some food import public order to the core italian provinces (or reduce famine) and add some money where you build it. Maybe you could also need to build some grain import in those settlements you want the effect to take place. I know there is already buildings that add food import, but I mean if this could be linked to the ownership of some regions.
    Secondly, to avoid a very unrealistic expansion of any faction, is it possible to modify the base unrest each faction suffers in a given region? As an example, if the Britons conquer any province in Spain, the unrest will be so high that would hinder them for keeping the province. If this is possible, some "map" could be created for each faction that limits their historical or plausible borders.

If you donīt add a religion to the building it will convert to faction religion

Could a cultural conversion building be added for the Getai? I'm pretty sure every other faction has some building that converts to their cultures. The Getai are an exception, and suffer as a result. Their Urbanised Tribal States culture is barely existent outside of their immediate surroundings, and even though grooming their governors to become Living Gods can boost their influence, it's not enough. Maybe a religion level bonus can be added to their Protecterate-style buildings?

The Great Khan of Rome's Avatar Civis

Are EBI units coming? I know units like Cohors Imperatoria or Ala Imperatoria aren't in due to ahisotricy, but I think it might be possbile to make them upgrades (reforms) of Cohors Reformata (Cohors Imperatoria), First Cohors Reformata (Prima Cohors Imperatoria), and Equites Auxilium (Ala Imperatoria) units. I'm not sure if they are going to be recruitable in campagin, but custom battles and historical battes (if those are being worked one) would be good candidates for thier inclusion.
    Creator of UNREAL, balance mod series that promises changes to everything Total War, and it's offshoots, MEGA for other games. Basically, I'm reject Radious.

Quote Originally Posted by The Great Khan of Rome View Post
    Are EBI units coming? I know units like Cohors Imperatoria or Ala Imperatoria aren't in due to ahisotricy, but I think it might be possbile to make them upgrades (reforms) of Cohors Reformata (Cohors Imperatoria), First Cohors Reformata (Prima Cohors Imperatoria), and Equites Auxilium (Ala Imperatoria) units. I'm not sure if they are going to be recruitable in campagin, but custom battles and historical battes (if those are being worked one) would be good candidates for thier inclusion.
    Armour upgrades of those units are impossible, mechanically. They wouldn't be any more armoured, but if they had an upgrade, their armour stat would go up.

Hello, EB team.

I know you worked hard on your animations but I would ask if you could add the javelin throwing animation from Tsardoms TW.

It's the closest thing to the throwing animation in Rome tw in the Medieval 2 engine right now.

I think it's better because the units don't run forward to fire. That's because the javelineers in EB2 get bogged down when there is an enemy unit close.