Thread: Med2ModLauncher - A new launcher for Medieval II Total War

Default Med2ModLauncher - A new launcher for Medieval II Total War

If you have tried to install mods after the last Steam update in Medieval Total War II, you might have found it is not a piece of cake. You have to install the mod and, afterwards, there are two ways of launching the mod, renaming the mod folder for another supported in kingdoms (for example renaming Stainless_Steel for americas) and launching americas on Steam launcher, or use a desktop shortcut you have to manually craft.

With this Mod Launcher you will no longer need to do any manual work. If the mod you are playing right now works with the shortcut method, then it is compatible with this launcher. Here you can find a link to download the launcher file.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/bt...odLauncher.exe

You only have to execute this program, select the mod you want to play, and click on the launch button.

Known compatible mods: Third Age, Stainless Steel, Ancient Conquest, Battle Axe, Bellum Crucis and Retrofit (Grand Campaign).

Known uncompatible mods: Teutonic Mod (Unlocks Norway and Mongols).

PD: If you find any problem, please let me know about it, so I can try to fix it, unless it's something to do about the mod.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Re: Med2ModLauncher - A new launcher for Medieval II Total War

It's a nice alternative to the third method that has been around for a while: The ToolBox - The Universal Mod Launcher

I have noticed your tool lists all folders in the mods directory (I keep working folders with tools in there). Any chance to refine that?

Tip: use the download section here - it will enable you to use a permanent link to that page even if you update the file. And the file will not get lost...
    Last edited by Gigantus; May 02, 2015 at 11:44 PM.

Thanks for your review. I didn't know about that tool I will take a look at it too. I'm quite new in twcenter, I will try to take a look at the downloads section in order to introduce the program properly .

About what you said, it's true this launcher shows all the directories under mods. I don't think users should keep there other folders, could you tell me a legitimate use of this? I could add some logic to detect if the folder is a mod folder, but I didn't think before it was necessary.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

There are tools in there that I use for development of my mods: EDU checker and EDB checker, as well as Script checker and several other - I keep them there for ease of use and easy path assignment. You could search for folders with CFG files in them - every mod has (to have) one.

If you know your way around programming you might want to have a look if this tool can be updated (or incorporated). It is based on creating registry entries for the Steam launcher for each mod. Get in touch with the original author of the program before you work on it to obtain permission.

Personally I think the universal batch file is the most convenient method as you only have to apply it once and then use desktop shortcuts to start the mods. All the latest mods use the principle already. For a working set up you can have a look at my basic mod folder.
    Last edited by Gigantus; May 03, 2015 at 09:48 AM.