Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: So lets talk about Warhammer...

Default Re: So lets talk about Warhammer...

Don't skip leg day mate
    What we wish, we readily believe, and what we ourselves think, we imagine others think also
    Veni, Vidi, Vici
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by Huberto View Post
    Picture, if you will, a world in which buggy and rushed games become even more buggy and even more rushed.
    That would be a terrible world to live in. Picture, if you will, the Warhammer game not in anyway affecting the quality of historical tw games as they were produced separately. Isn't imagination boundless?

Also re-do your math on the survey.
    I did. My statement was in no way incorrect.

You're welcome.
    Thanks, but incorrect assertions like yours are rarely welcome to me any more than your repeated baseless claims based on nothing more than supposition.

And you criticize fantasy. A bit hypocritical.
    Last edited by Markas; May 02, 2015 at 03:09 PM.
    'When people stop believing in God, they don’t believe in nothing — they believe in anything. '

-Emile Cammaerts' book The Laughing Prophets (1937)

Under the patronage of Nihil. So there.

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Picture, if you will, the Warhammer game not in anyway affecting the quality of historical tw games as they were produced separately. Isn't imagination boundless?
    I guess...but given that there's been no announced expansion of staff, either all these games or going to be rushed or historical games go on the back burner for a few years.

It's WH's turn right now. Most of the staff is working on the next release. That's they way it's always been done. There are no major announcements of staff expansion, and the job announcements are about the same as they've always been. In Warscape era, there has always been more than one team, and more than one project underway at a time. But now there are, for the first time, apparently either a.) twice as many games under development as usual or b.) we'll need to wait a few extra years before we get another historical game.

What base do you have to stand on, exactly? The fact that TW's always come out all nice and shiny?

Quote Originally Posted by Huberto View Post
    I guess...but given that there's been no announced expansion of staff, either all these games or going to be rushed or historical games go on the back burner for a few years.
    Are these things always announced? I don't recall. According to this there's around 300 staff with 170 working on TW games. It also states there are five teams with the largest core team working on the Historical TW's.

Simpson: We have five teams. The original core team is working on the main game, Attila at the moment, and it’s still the same size as it was, or just slightly larger than on the previous project. So it’s not like we’re diluting the main team in order to do more projects. The main team will always be focused on single-player historical strategy games. All of these offshoots, though, we’ll try different things. Some will work well, some not so well, and we’ll just keep going.

Their wanted staff page is also pretty hefty, which leads me to suspect lack of bods on games will be less of an issue. CA is expanding, not contracting. It seems to be more a question of ambition and time rather than staff.

What base do you have to stand on, exactly? The fact that TW's always come out all nice and shiny?
    I'm not nor ever have suggested all TW games are great, but I do suggest their failures are not down to staff allocations. The evidence doesn't bear that out.
    Last edited by Markas; May 02, 2015 at 07:08 PM.
    'When people stop believing in God, they don’t believe in nothing — they believe in anything. '

Quote Originally Posted by VltimaRatio View Post
    2. They haven't, but it's not inconceivable that they could do better than they have before. I'm aware of the CK2 mod but this is about TW games with battles as well as campaign aspects.
    There really is no reason to do a ASOIAF TW game when you could just make Medieval 3, which would have much more unit variety.

Warhammer absolutely works as a TW game as the setting is constantly at total war, story is there but is secondary in a way that promotes constant total war and has hundreds of unit types already created with specific power levels/stats/equipment. Doing a TW in Westeros would pretty much crap all over the story/lore and would be extrapolating unit types out of thin air.

CA already admitted that they approached GW ten years ago to do a game in the setting. So obviously they feel like Warhammer would make a fantastic TW game and probably have a passion for the setting.
    Last edited by Lugo; May 02, 2015 at 09:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lugo View Post
    There really is no reason to do a ASOIAF TW game when you could just make Medieval 3, which would have much more unit variety.
    That depends on how far you go into the ASOIAF

you have
    Dothraki that are very similar to huns. They are nomadic with archers and light weight horseback fit for desert battles. They are a horde
    Northmen they are more like militia, the book goes into detail that they don't have Knights, only those that come from the south
    Major houses like Lanisters or Baratheon would be a lot like England and France in ME2
    Your wilding would be Viking, but they are described much more savage, practicing old gods, canabalism, wearing bones of armor..etc
    You got the sun spear who are known for guerrilla warfare, desert battles on foot
    iron island known for light army mobile infantry and best navy

then you have the grounded magic like COTF, Others, wights, dragons..etc
    you got religions
    diverse list of mercs

free cities that the book gives description of in terms of differences

The content is there
    What we wish, we readily believe, and what we ourselves think, we imagine others think also
    Veni, Vidi, Vici
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by xjlxking View Post
    That depends on how far you go into the ASOIAF

you have
    Dothraki that are very similar to huns. They are nomadic with archers and light weight horseback fit for desert battles. They are a horde
    Northmen they are more like militia, the book goes into detail that they don't have Knights, only those that come from the south
    Major houses like Lanisters or Baratheon would be a lot like England and France in ME2
    Your wilding would be Viking, but they are described much more savage, practicing old gods, canabalism, wearing bones of armor..etc
    You got the sun spear who are known for guerrilla warfare, desert battles on foot
    iron island known for light army mobile infantry and best navy
    Again, you would be extrapolating units based on tropes from the real world. Which in that case, just do M3 since you won't be bound to the story which is more about characters than it is scope.

then you have the grounded magic like COTF, Others, wights, dragons..etc
    you got religions
    diverse list of mercs

free cities that the book gives description of in terms of differences

The content is there
    Haha, grounded magic, hahaha. Because ice/fire zombies, warging, faceless men are so realistic-ish. Hahaha.

Now compare those to Warhammer fantasy Dwarfs/Empire. It's quite clear which would make the better total war game while being exponentially more fun.

edit: almost forgot about the shadow baby hahahahahahah
    Last edited by Lugo; May 02, 2015 at 09:23 PM.

Grounded magic as in... It's not happening everywhere. Fact is, as viewers or readers, we get to see all of the magic. The characters and normal people in that world think of magic much like we do. This goes similar for dragons, and white walkers..etc

for the record, yes, you will be extrapolating from the real world because it's exactly what you should do. You know, Knights, Kings and all.
    Veni, Vidi, Vici
    Julius Caesar

Grounded magic as in... It's not happening everywhere. Fact is, as viewers or readers, we get to see all of the magic. The characters and normal people in that world think of magic much like we do. This goes similar for dragons, and white walkers..etc

for the record, yes, you will be extrapolating from the real world because it's exactly what you should do. You know, Knights, Kings and all.
    Magic is semi-rare in Warhammer, especially powerful magic. Mages will probably (or should be) mostly rare in a Warhammer TW. Of course, I'm not counting magic items, which are also kind of rare, but not totally either. Basically everything in Warhammer is semi-rare, this way everything has its place instead of black gunpowder being so plentiful that the Empire only uses machine guns etc.

ASOIAF and Warhammer would both make fun games. Imagine if the Golden Company was an entire army you could hire. Fun times.

As for Warhammer magic, there's already a lot of magic type stuff in Attila/Rome 2 with all the buffs and power ups. The big difference is we would expect to see some kind of graphical change with a magical spell.

HigoChumbo's Avatar Definitely not Jom.
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jtfjtfjtf View Post
    As for Warhammer magic, there's already a lot of magic type stuff in Attila/Rome 2 with all the buffs and power ups. The big difference is we would expect to see some kind of graphical change with a magical spell.
    I would absolutelly hate if TW:Warhammer's magic was just a flashier version of current "buffs and power ups". The least they can do is to at least include ground-targeted abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by HigoChumbo View Post
    I would absolutelly hate if TW:Warhammer's magic was just a flashier version of current "buffs and power ups". The least they can do is to at least include ground-targeted abilities.
    I'd be pretty surprised if they didn't given the celestial wizard in the trailer + that they prominently mention it in their currents synopsis of the game.

I'm not saying they're going to stop at buffs and de-buffs. But for anyone who thinks that magic is going to be game breaking, there's already a form of magic in the current TW games.

Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jtfjtfjtf View Post
    I'm not saying they're going to stop at buffs and de-buffs. But for anyone who thinks that magic is going to be game breaking, there's already a form of magic in the current TW games.
    Why would magic be game-breaking? It's not like it's new to gaming. Games like Warcraft 3 or Starcraft 2 have "magic" and they are more balanced than any Total War would ever hope to be. I guess that's just a scapegoat argument by those who don't like the idea of TW trying fantasy, nothing more.

Why would magic be game-breaking? It's not like it's new to gaming. Games like Warcraft 3 or Starcraft 2 have "magic" and they are more balanced than any Total War would ever hope to be. I guess that's just a scapegoat argument by those who don't like the idea of TW trying fantasy, nothing more.
    Well it wouldn't be. But there are a small group of people on this forum trying to front any reason to whine about TW:WH.

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

I dont see how Magic is more game breaking than some artillery variants we've seen over the years. A mage makes more sense on a battlefield in the warhammer world than a 20m high giant balista with anti personnel rounds loaded does in R2, that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Påsan View Post
    I dont see how Magic is more game breaking than some artillery variants we've seen over the years. A mage makes more sense on a battlefield in the warhammer world than a 20m high giant balista with anti personnel rounds loaded does in R2, that's for sure.
    Well Tacitus does tell us Druids called down spells on the Romans at Anglesey that briefly paralyzed them...

Citizen

Blog Entries

Straight from Belloflostsouls.net, rumours about the so called "Warhammer 9th edition":

via Games Workshop Lille on Facebook

The sun goes down, teintant the sky of rubis and blood…

The elected will get together in the heart of the sanctuary, bringing with them the hopes of their people…

They will fight for the glory, for the honor, at the edge of the abyss…

Will the lowest in the abyss while the strongest will be brought to the naked…

Then they will fall in turn, victims of their pride until it is more than a glorified, glory, lying in the blood of his own nation, deaf to the supplications dying while he will recover this rightful Right, Sacred Eternal Champion in the heart of the Night, Supreme Lord in the land Devastated, King Nocturne acclaimed by the ghosts of his enemies… Until dawn…

That the forges revolve nights and days, that the prophets look through the future, that your armies are amassing around your banner. Prepare yourself mortals!

Because I am khorne! The Lord of the blood! The archi-commander! The forge-war!

You are my guests… Enter in my arena. The rules have changed, prepare yourself!!

Information directly in store!! You do not want to miss this, believe me on floor
    Given that the "our rules have changed" punchline in the trailer seems to be a shared pattern, could it hint that TW:Warhammer is tied in some way with the new Warhammer edition in the making meant to hit the shelves this summer and rumored to going to revamp the game from the ground up?

edit: One forum poster just replied:
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Setzer
    Someone did a better translation of the Facebook post. It's basically a "fluffy" way of announcing an End Times event at the store, nothing to do with 9th edition.

Also:

via Darkpignouf on Warseer

9th edition will be released on saturday the 13th of june .
    E3 starts just 3 days after that date (June 16-18). It's becoming more and more clear to me that Games Workshop and Creative Assembly are going for a shared release strategy to support each other's sales. So I guess that makes even more probable that CA releases the big news about the game at E3.
    Last edited by HigoChumbo; May 06, 2015 at 05:37 PM.

Straight from Belloflostsouls.net, rumours about the so called "Warhammer 9th edition":

Given that the "our rules have changed" punchline in the trailer seems to be a shared pattern, could it hint that TW:Warhammer is tied in some way with the new Warhammer edition in the making meant to hit the shelves this summer and rumored to going to revamp the game from the ground up?E3 starts just 3 days after that date (June 16-18). It's becoming more and more clear to me that Games Workshop and Creative Assembly are going for a shared release strategy to support each other's sales. So I guess that makes even more probable that CA releases the big news about the game at E3.
    SEGA said it's not going to be at E3

Maybe CA will be the exception or something, though. I do dearly hope for some friggin screenshots or *something* though, it's getting quite parched around these parts.

Also, if you're talking about the End Times, CA has specifically, and officially stated TW Warhammer is before the End Times. That might not be the same for the new ruleset mind you, but the new ruleset and army collections I'd presume is for the End Times, but I'm not sure CA is even using the stats of table top as the foundation for the stats in a TW game anyway. I hope they're more akin to using the lore and adapting that to a TW game.
    Last edited by DavidtheDuke; May 06, 2015 at 07:29 PM.

Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DavidtheDuke View Post
    Also, if you're talking about the End Times, CA has specifically, and officially stated TW Warhammer is before the End Times. That might not be the same for the new ruleset mind you, but the new ruleset and army collections I'd presume is for the End Times, but I'm not sure CA is even using the stats of table top as the foundation for the stats in a TW game anyway. I hope they're more akin to using the lore and adapting that to a TW game.
    For what I've read, End Times is just their "bridge of lore" to justify the jump from their more standard old editions to the completelly new thing they are making (aka "9th edition"), and to have an excuse to kill half of the characters (=current miniatures) in the game and get rid of their inconvenient map design, so that new edition, if I got it right, is not actually set in the End Times events but after it.

I would not rule out that "before End Times" ended up meaning "immediatly before End Times", and that they used its cataclysmic events as some kind of climatic Grand Finale for the campaigns, or even as its major story theme. Althought the fact (or rumour?) that the "campaign map" does not even exist anymore after End Times and that therefore it would not be possible to adapt it to TW (at least in the current form of Total War) and I have to admit could be an argument against all this.

As for the new army collections, well its rumored that there are only 6 armies in total with 3 subarmies each, and The Empire and Dwarves (which are different factions in TW:WH) would in theory be part of the same faction in the new edition. The rumours speak of the following unified factions:

1) Chaos : Demons + Beasts + Mortals
    2) Elves (Dark Elves, High Elves, Wood Elves)
    3) Empire (Humans, Dwarves & Ogres)
    4) Undead (Vampire counts & Tomb Kings)
    5) Orcs and Goblins (majorly unchanged)
    6) Skavens (majorly unchanged)

I honestly hope we get some decent (in-game) info at or before E3. It would be weird to have released the cinematic teaser and not say a word of the game for so long.