Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: So lets talk about Warhammer...

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

Default Re: So lets talk about Warhammer...

Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    what are you basing this off of?
    you do realize they have hundreds of employees working on different projects right? Alien Isolation was made by CA, do you think the same people that worked on that worked on Attila?
    No, probably not.
    This is a TW title, so it's going to be made by the TW team, not the console team. If you think they can make 2 PC strategy titles of quality for nearly simultaneous release, think again.
    Last edited by Huberto; April 30, 2015 at 08:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Huberto View Post
    This is a TW title, so it's going to be made by the TW team, not the console team. If you think they can make 2 PC strategy titles of quality for nearly simultaneous release, think again.

You do realize when Rome 2 was being released Attila was already being worked on? there are 2 Total War teams, so that they can keep the release schedule/rate of 1-2 year game releases.
    How do you not know this?
    The stupidity and child like thinking of this post is beyond imagination, CA has been gathering a WH team for years now, we have all seen their adds and increase in budget and team.
    Last edited by Toho; April 30, 2015 at 09:02 PM.

You do realize when Rome 2 was being released Attila was already being worked on? there are 2 Total War teams, so that they can keep the release schedule/rate of 1-2 year game releases.
    The stupidity and child like thinking of this post is beyond imagination, CA has been gathering a WH team for years now, we have all seen their adds and increase in budget and team.
    Hmm...well, stupid and child like posting right back atcha, since Attila was release 1.5 YEARS after TWR2. Sorry for the shouting! But please turn on the bulb inside your brain: games get developed in parallel but the allocation of staff is nothing like 50-50. Most folks work on what's coming out next.

WH: Chapter 1
    WH: Chapter 2
    WH: Chapter 3

Next TW historical release.

Please assign years to those releases.
    Last edited by Huberto; April 30, 2015 at 09:13 PM.

Hmm...well, stupid and child like posting right back atcha, since Attila was release 1.5 YEARS after TWR2. Sorry for the shouting! But please turn on the bulb inside your brain: games get developed in parallel but the allocation of staff is nothing like 50-50. Most folks work on what's coming out next.

Without actual knowledge of the talent and how it is spread out we can't really make any concrete judgements in any direction really. Why is it impossible to think a historical game comes out before chapter 3? I'd suspect most of the actual hardcoded, complex features in the WH trilogy are in the first one, and the rest are just content expansions etc. In terms of history being pushed to the side, I can easily see that occurring if the views on YT are any indication of the popularity potential of a Warhammer TW.

If I were to hope, I'd hope the best talent CA has to offer is combined with a passion for Warhammer that I felt was lacking in Rome 2. I don't really think this has to be the case however, and I'm just more or less hyped by the idea of Warhammer TW, but assume it's going to be janky on release at best and just be pleasantly surprised otherwise, if it isn't (and then actually buy).
    Last edited by DavidtheDuke; April 30, 2015 at 09:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidtheDuke View Post
    Without actual knowledge of the talent and how it is spread out we can't really make any concrete judgements in any direction really. Why is it impossible to think a historical game comes out before chapter 3? I'd suspect most of the actual hardcoded, complex features in the WH trilogy are in the first one, and the rest are just content expansions etc. In terms of history being pushed to the side, I can easily see that occurring if the views on YT are any indication of the popularity potential of a Warhammer TW.

If I were to hope, I'd hope the best talent CA has to offer is combined with a passion for Warhammer that I felt was lacking in Rome 2. I don't really think this has to be the case however, and I'm just more or less hyped by the idea of Warhammer TW, but assume it's going to be janky on release at best and just be pleasantly surprised otherwise, if it isn't (and then actually buy).
    OK since I started it I'll do it:

1.) WH Chapter 1 (fall 2015) - Warscape/TW3
    2.) TW historical (spring 2016) - Warscape/TW3
    3.) WH Chapter 2 (fall 2016) - Warscape/TW3
    4.) TW historical sequel (spring 2017) -Warscape/TW3
    5.) WH Chapter 3 (fall 2017) - Warscape/TW3

Assembly line Warscape incoming, folks.

Dear god, my IQ just dropped by just reading this.
    I am not going to imagine HOW CA is dividing this team and your presumption of knowing how they organize their employees is a pretty damn stupid exercise.
    CA employees have told us there is a separate team working on the game and as we have been told before multiple times before, now the team allocation, size, skills and so on is unknown but... Hell we even referred to them R2 team and Expansion tram in the R2 days. If you are still not satisfied I think the only thing I can tell you is.

Tough kid, they are making Warhammer Total War for at least the next 3 to 4 years.
    If you want to cry about it go ahead. No one really cares.

OK since I started it I'll do it:

1.) WH Chapter 1 (fall 2015) - Warscape/TW3
    2.) TW historical (spring 2016) - Warscape/TW3
    3.) WH Chapter 2 (fall 2016) - Warscape/TW3
    4.) TW historical sequel (spring 2017) -Warscape/TW3
    5.) WH Chapter 3 (fall 2017) - Warscape/TW3

Assembly line Warscape incoming, folks.
    Alright? The main thing I hate about Warscape is the moddability skill level required (and no moddable campaign map). Other than that, different iterationjs have had different problems. No TW, ever, has been very consistent

If you want to cry about it go ahead. No one really cares.
    Actually many people care, and feel strongly in the negative about TW: WH. The Attila survey found more than 18% hating the idea, and more than 30% decidedly uninterested or opposed to Warhammer as a TW game. That's a lot of folks, perhaps a majority of those who have an opinion one way or the other (excluding those who gave the idea a 4, 5, or 6). The issue is extremely divisive here, get used to it.

I think it's important to note that despite having 2 team, one team is getting a significantly bigger budget
    What we wish, we readily believe, and what we ourselves think, we imagine others think also
    Veni, Vidi, Vici
    Julius Caesar

Actually many people care, and feel strongly in the negative about TW: WH. The Attila survey found more than 18% hating the idea, and more than 30% decidedly uninterested or opposed to Warhammer as a TW game. That's a lot of folks, perhaps a majority of those who have an opinion one way or the other (excluding those who gave the idea a 4, 5, or 6). The issue is extremely divisive here, get used to it.
    You can keep hating on it, but I don't really see the use. I never really like the Empire era of TW, but I knew banging on the forums about how much it sucks really wouldn't have done anything, especially since they sold well, which appears to also be the case for Warhammer, considering the YT views and like/dislike ratio it's getting.

Quote Originally Posted by xjlxking View Post
    I think it's important to note that despite having 2 team, one team is getting a significantly bigger budget
    Agreed. I suspect Warhammer has got a larger budget than Rome 2, it almost necessarily has to anyway to get all it wants to get right (which it doesn't even, unfortunately,have to)

♘Top Hat Zebra's Avatar Praepositus
    That place you go to when the world becomes too much? I'm in the world. I'm why it's too much.

There were, what, 2000 people taking part in that survey?

2500 people gave it a thumbs down on Youtube. 23,000 gave it a thumbs up.

People who dislike the idea are definitely in the minority here.
    "Rajadharma! The Duty of Kings. Know you: Kingship is a Trust. The King is the most exalted and conscientious servant of the people."

Quote Originally Posted by ♘Top Hat Zebra View Post
    There were, what, 2000 people taking part in that survey?

2500 people gave it a thumbs down on Youtube. 23,000 gave it a thumbs up.

People who dislike the idea are definitely in the minority here.
    Not on the forums. Lots of new TW blood coming in I suspect, but the history-purists here are at least 1/3, maybe 1/2 for now. It's not really going to stop Warhammer, luckily, though.
    Last edited by DavidtheDuke; April 30, 2015 at 10:13 PM.

You can keep hating on it, but I don't really see the use. I never really like the Empire era of TW, but I knew banging on the forums about how much it sucks really wouldn't have done anything, especially since they sold well, which appears to also be the case for Warhammer, considering the YT views and like/dislike ratio it's getting.
    All's fair in love an war but again, what you guys don't seem to be grasping is the fundamental difference between designing a fantasy game and a game which purports to be "historically authentic." It's not about preferring Warhammer to the 18th Century while still loving the 5th Century. Fantasy and history aren't interchangable concepts, and yet, for $ome reason, they are all being lopped into one category called "Total War."

What that tells me is somehing's got to give.

♘Top Hat Zebra's Avatar Praepositus
    That place you go to when the world becomes too much? I'm in the world. I'm why it's too much.

This forum is pretty much irrelevant to the average Total War player. It's mostly modders and history buffs, neither of which are good examples of the common gamer.

Not that I am complaining, since I do enjoy the discussions (Most of the time) that those two groups have, but it's no evidence against Warhammer. 18% of a small section of an unofficial modding forum is not a good indicator of public opinion.

Fantasy and history are completely interchangeable in this context. Total War games are Total War because they are turn based strategy mixed with real time tactical battles. The setting is irrelevant to it being a Total War game, whether it be 18th century firearm warfare, Antiquity, or Warhammer.
    "Rajadharma! The Duty of Kings. Know you: Kingship is a Trust. The King is the most exalted and conscientious servant of the people."

All's fair in love an war but again, what you guys don't seem to be grasping is the fundamental difference between designing a fantasy game and a game which purports to be "historically authentic." It's not about preferring Warhammer to the 18th Century while still loving the 5th Century. Fantasy and history aren't interchangable concepts, and yet, for $ome reason, they are all being lopped into one category called "Total War."

It's getting made, and quality has "gave" many times with many TW titles, fantasy doesn't have to make it give any more than anything else. I don't care if fantasy and history are interchangable concepts. It doesn't have to be tied to your "historical" concept of TW whether you like or not. TW for me was turn-based strategy and squad based tactics, fantasy, tw, or whatever elsewise. The Warhammer world fits this perfectly (if it is executed very similarly to Call of Warhammer but more nuanced and customized faction gameplay, anyway) for me. I don't really give a damn if it is based on history or not, it's the idea of epic battles and the "Total War" that comes from that, history based or not.

Quote Originally Posted by ♘Top Hat Zebra View Post
    This forum is pretty much irrelevant to the average Total War player. It's mostly modders and history buffs, neither of which are good examples of the common gamer.

Not that I am complaining, since I do enjoy the discussions (Most of the time) that those two groups have, but it's no evidence against Warhammer. 18% of a small section of an unofficial modding forum is not a good indicator of public opinion.

Fantasy and history are completely interchangeable in this context. Total War games are Total War because they are turn based strategy mixed with real time tactical battles. The setting is irrelevant to it being a Total War game, whether it be 18th century firearm warfare, Antiquity, or Warhammer.
    No! It has to be based in history or the quality will suffer!

I don't care if fantasy and history are interchangable concepts.
    You should.

You should.
    Why? Because the quality will suffer? Oh yes, of course. As TW games are gems out the gate everytime or that fantasy games have never been excellent.

It takes more planning and skill to develop a fantastical war game than it does a historical one but they can be built on the same base. Take everything from Attila. All the infantry, cavalry, elephants, artillery, ships. All of that can exist in a fantastical war game. But now with Fantasy you have to add giants and monsters and dragons and flying things and how those interact with the infantry, cavalry, elephants, etc has to be accounted for. The art department has a lot more work to do when it comes to rigging and modeling and animations. But they can all be built on the same model that is total war.

Agreed. I suspect Warhammer has got a larger budget than Rome 2, it almost necessarily has to anyway to get all it wants to get right (which it doesn't even, unfortunately,have to)
    Quite honestly, I think the exact opposite. Rome 2 has huge marketing budget that no other TW ever had.
    What we wish, we readily believe, and what we ourselves think, we imagine others think also
    Veni, Vidi, Vici
    Julius Caesar