Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: So lets talk about Warhammer...

Default So lets talk about Warhammer...

Since the mods have yet to dedicate a forum to this game I might as well post it here.
    The mods can feel free to move this the appropriate forum when it is finally made.

Now, as someone who has no clue about Warhammer and who's only experience with Warhammer is the terrific mod on M2TW. I have to say I am somewhat worried, yes we have known about this project even before Rome 2 was even released. its been about 2 or 3 years now since the first rumors of Warhammer. However if anyone has played that mod or knows about warhammer would know the epic scale of this project.
    There are so many factions and each one is distinctly different. Creative Assembly has always had humans in a historical setting where a lot of gear is shared. But in warhammer? They look so different all of them.
    I dont really see how CA can pull this off...

Besides the obvious massive amount of time needed to deal with the 3 human factions (which the empire divides into at least 8 other factions), chaos, High elves, dark elves, wood elves, ogres, orks, vampires, the undead, goblins and probably others I dont even know... there are dragons, mages, demons and frigging tanks... How the hell is CA going to make all this?
    I guess for the first time ever DLCs would actually be worth the money because unless CA hires triple the team members or has been secretly working on this for the past 8 years I don't see how they can do it.
    Also dont forget CA has a history of screwing up on their first time doing something ground breaking, they always do and this is certainly ground breaking project.
    Just a side note though, I am excited as hell to see this game but at the same time worried they might not make it.
    Well in time my legions of Phoenix Guard will kill all before them Human or Chaos. It matters not.
    Last edited by Toho; April 28, 2015 at 04:16 PM.

Default Re: So lets talk about Warhammer...

I think it will either be the best thing CA has released or the worst.

With this sort of project you can't go into it half heartedly and just go through the motions. They have to not be afraid to revolutionise and take time rather than rushing to complete it. I think we all would rather wait 3 or 4 years for an absurdly good game rather than 1 year and see it rushed.

Ca has to add new features that revolutionise the game as well as finding ways to overcome the limitations of newer games.

Though I am know nothing about Warhammer I assume that because there are dragons and other large creatures and tanks i think mass would have to be essential to properly represent these features.

We will probably know more by June's E3. I guess one way CA is going to manage this is scale down the scope of the map which will suck big time.
    edit: after reading that video thread...

So only 4 factions?! vampires, orks, humans and dwarves... no elves? *flips table*
    sigh... well here is hoping expansion pack but I just got really disappointed.

For those wondering about how the map will look. Here is a approximate location we will most likely see, it has access to all 4 factions.
    https://www.anony.ws/image/Droq
    The entire map could be included as all 4 factions are in there but the southern edge and the northern edge (Britannia & Kislev) will not be there, the elves from the seas not there either and no internal strife between the empire provinces (one single faction). Sigh...
    Last edited by Toho; April 28, 2015 at 05:21 PM.

i am not going to buy another building slots limited total war game!!! and the general/agents' skill tree kills me and the tech tree kills me too!
    would warhammer tw give me more joy than the warhammer mod in m2tw did? i dont think so, but warhammer tw will surely save me a lot of time from installing a mod to m2tw by just downloading one though steam, and i wont need to worry about my 0 lvl of greek style letter.

craziii's Avatar Protector Domesticus

to be honest, there is nothing to discuss as there is zero info about the game available for us to discuss. kinda hard having a serious discussion base on rumors and guesswork.
    fear is helluva drug
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    “The only rule that ever made sense to me I learned from a history, not an economics, professor at Wharton. "Fear," he used to say, "fear is the most valuable commodity in the universe." That blew me away. "Turn on the TV," he'd say. "What are you seeing? People selling their products? No. People selling the fear of you having to live without their products." freakin' A, was he right. Fear of aging, fear of loneliness, fear of poverty, fear of failure. Fear is the most basic emotion we have. Fear is primal. Fear sells.” WWZ

Have you had your daily dose of fear yet? craziii
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Considering CA has difficulty getting features right that have been in the games for a long time I expect that a whole bunch of new features they'll need for Warhammer will be severely broken on arrival. As for additional races, i'm sure they'll show up as payable DLC at some point.

They will have the benefit of using the Warscape Engine on a game is was designed for. It seems this engine is made to be played with more ranged units like Empire or TW. Yes, there will be plenty of melee units but I think more Ranged

I think the game will be bad. I think it will have too many bugs, way too few features, and just overall very bad. The company is entire the point of uncharted territory. It's not the same as a a historical game. I think they will try to bang out of the fact that the setting is no longer historical, rather than things like feature. That's just my personal opinion
    What we wish, we readily believe, and what we ourselves think, we imagine others think also
    Veni, Vidi, Vici
    Julius Caesar

Well lets hope history repeats itself.

Empire was trash (Rome 2), Napoleon fixed things (Attila) and then came Shogun, their best work yet.
    they had little time but smaller scope but now they have a lot of time but bigger scope.

I hope its a gem and they are doing it in small increments. 4 factions at a time and plan to expand it though I hope to Sigmar that its like how you would and MMO rather than each one being a separate campaign.

I'm not going to play it, just like Shogun II, as I was never interested in Warhammer universe and Medieval Japan, so I don't really care if it turns out to be awesome or horrible, but anyway I don't feel very optimist about it. It looks like a rather ambitious project, with all those dragons and fireball-throwing wizzards and CA's reputation about ambitious projects isn't very positive. It reminds me of Rome II, where CA spent hundreds of hours trying to make the combined battles feature work, so... Also, Warhammer is a guaranteed financial success, just like R2 was. People are so desperate to combine their favourite fantasy with TW, just more than they were with the successor of their mosted loved TW game, that it's going to sell like crazy, even if CA just fires the marketing team, tomorrow. That means that they'll be less motivated to deliver an enjoyable product, as a great number of people will pre-order the game anyway.

I will wait and see. I didn't really know a lot about japanese or napoleonic history either before the games came out, but was interested in them before release anyways.
    Not the case with Warhammer, from the research I've done I came to the conclusion that it is not the kind of fantasy I could get used to, me enjoying rather historical settings. However, I enjoy fantasy settings such as LOTR or Westeros.

This will give me the opportunity to lay back and take some distance from the release, I will keep an eye on the forums to see what kind of reviews the game gets. If it is outstanding mechanically wise I will gladly try.

Humble Warrior's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

A friend of mine, whom I`m building a pc for, is interested in the potential for Warhammer. He knows TW`s history (mainly from me) and he asked what Warhammer will be like if made by CA.

I told him it`ll be Steamed, and to expect lots of DLC, but as to the rest, there`s too little info to know more at the moment. He was almost completely put off by the selling mods fiasco of a few days ago.

Aeneas Veneratio's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Do Dwarves in Warhammer live in underground cities? If so, how is CA going to pull that off?

Personally, I think Thedas, Tamriel or Middle Earth would be more interesting settings for a TW game.
    R2TW stance: Ceterum autem censeo res publica delendam esse

They know how to pull this off:

mass marketing, then a few apologizing after terrible release, then several patches, with DLC to further milk out. Then use the "It's new territory" excuse to explain their product.

It will work because A) people love Total War, B) people love CA, C) people like Warhammer, and D) they are easily manipulated by recency effect.

and E) CA is just riding on the fame of Total War to sell their titles.

Quote Originally Posted by daelin4 View Post
    They know how to pull this off:

mass marketing, then a few apologizing after terrible release, then several patches, with DLC to further milk out. Then use the "It's new territory" excuse to explain their product.

It will work because A) people love Total War, B) people love CA, C) people like Warhammer, and D) they are easily manipulated by recency effect.

and E) CA is just riding on the fame of Total War to sell their titles.
    Don't forget

F) Lack of competition

CA has no real competitor in this genre so players really have no alternative
    What we wish, we readily believe, and what we ourselves think, we imagine others think also
    Veni, Vidi, Vici
    Julius Caesar

Col. Tartleton's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by Aeneas Veneratio View Post
    Do Dwarves in Warhammer live in underground cities? If so, how is CA going to pull that off?

Personally, I think Thedas, Tamriel or Middle Earth would be more interesting settings for a TW game.
    The impression I've gotten from places like Vala-Azril-Ungol is that the lower and middle classes (farmers, traders, craftsmen) live in the valleys and on the slopes and the nobles live high in the "castle" of the mountain holds. Then the mine works expand deep beneath them. It was essentially a surface city ringed by eight mountain fortresses and countless mine works beneath it. Karaz-A-Karak the imperial capital is (primarily?) in a single mountain and beneath it, but its by far the largest mountain in the old world and its very extensively fortified. As its essentially a massive fortress and the primary seat of the nobles I think there are less external structures. Other cities like the port of Barak Varr is a large hollow worn into very tall cliffs by the ocean that functions as a protected harbor. Dwarfs may be beneath the ground at Barak Varr, but the roof of the cave is at least 500 feet above sea level. Even spindly cathedral spires would not touch the top. Another city is Zhufbar which is basically the most industrialized city in Karaz Ankor (the Dwarf Empire) and it is built into walls of a cavern carved out by a water fall that plunges from an alpine lake into a subterranean chasm. The flows are harnessed to power the dwarfs extensive heavy industry. The deeps are full of steam engines (and presumably ventilation) which pumps out water so they can continue to mine rich seams of gromril (mithril) which their artisans are particularly skilled with. It's also the headquarters of their engineers and so forth.

So what will Dwarf cities look like? They're quite varied and built to suit their surroundings far more than human settlements. Most likely each one would have to be custom designed to a larger degree than we're used to if they're going to approximate the ones described.
    Last edited by Col. Tartleton; April 29, 2015 at 03:03 PM.
    The Earth is inhabited by billions of idiots.
    The search for intelligent life continues...

Quote Originally Posted by Aeneas Veneratio View Post

I have no idea what Thedas is but Tamriel and Middle Earth? Yea, maybe.
    Though I dont like Middle Earth in a TW setting.

It makes no sense to me, whenever I play third age and play any faction it totally breaks my immersion to having to deal with economy, buildings and then have the elves conquering random places where from the movies it seems everyone is satisfied in staying in their per-defined borders. Sure they send armies around buts its not like "we claim this Gondor city in the name of Rohan". So yea, I just cant stand middle-earth TW (Third Age).

Tamriel and Warhammer though, it seems there are wars everywhere so it fits the TW quite well imo.

Agreed. Middle Earth is very much "We've been satisfied with a gradual decline for thousands of years and now everything is completely going to hell. I guess we'll have to do almost nothing about it. Lets put all our faith in nine random strangers."

Orcs show up in Rohan and the Rohirrim retreat to their traditional refuges. Then in a fairly unprecedented move after weathering the storm they actually send a few thousand horsemen to Gondor if only because Minas Tirith is the only rock hard enough to withstand the raging sea set against it and only when every favor is called upon. Then a suicidal venture to pressure Mordor to mobilize its reserves so that two midgets and their pet serial killer can weasel their way through.

Interesting certainly, but not exactly the military fiction that inspires a war game. There are a few poorly executed siege assaults. (As if Mordor didn't have all the time in the world to wear its foes down.)
    Last edited by Col. Tartleton; April 29, 2015 at 03:29 PM.

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolaos View Post
    I will wait and see. I didn't really know a lot about japanese or napoleonic history either before the games came out, but was interested in them before release anyways.
    Not the case with Warhammer, from the research I've done I came to the conclusion that it is not the kind of fantasy I could get used to, me enjoying rather historical settings. However, I enjoy fantasy settings such as LOTR or Westeros.
    Warhammer is commercial fantasy™ and shouldn't be taken any more seriously than the Elder Scrolls despite what you may read on these forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Huberto View Post
    Warhammer is commercial fantasy™ and shouldn't be taken any more seriously than the Elder Scrolls despite what you may read on these forums.
    Why?
    'When people stop believing in God, they don’t believe in nothing — they believe in anything. '

-Emile Cammaerts' book The Laughing Prophets (1937)

Under the patronage of Nihil. So there.

Quote Originally Posted by Huberto View Post
    All fantasy is commercial. Stories of Warhammer I know and love tends to revolve around world weary mustached alcoholics named Dieter with the misfortune of serving in the sewer patrols because some poor bastard has to make sure there aren't covens of sexual deviants or deformed malcontents undermining the city foundations or poisoning the wells. But at least he's got his loyal terrier Heinrich. Rats always make Dieter so uneasy. It's almost like they're up to something...

People take Elder Scrolls seriously. Personally I've never really latched onto its characters or stories, but it's interesting (and the games have great music certainly) so I'd play a Total War set in it. Morrowind was a great game for its time. I passed on Oblivion, but I've heard nothing but good things from Skyrim players and even Elder Scrolls Online has its supporters. If it's still around after a few expansions I'll probably revisit Tamriel.
    Last edited by Tango12345; April 30, 2015 at 07:49 AM.

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast