Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anti-Trait+NoGoingBackLevel mechanic confirmed broken in Medieval 2 Kingdoms

KEA's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Anti-Trait mechanic confirmed broken in Medieval 2 Kingdoms

My IR mod too, some even with effects - but these kind of traits usually don't have antraits.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

No, they usually don't. Although a combined inheritance\family name script might throw up some interesting situations. Personally, I simply don't use anti traits - I rather write two triggers then take a gamble whether I remembered the basics correctly.

if trait a > 0
    then remove points from trait a

if trait a < 1
    then add points to trait b

KEA's Avatar Senator

It really becomes a problem when trying to code some kind of random character designation. For example, I use a lot of "Random Characters", that is characters I don't know more of than the name (sometimes not even that) and have them being assigned random traits on game start. Here Antraits would be handy when doing stuff like the humours:

Code:
    ;------------------------------------------
    Trait PhlegmHumour
        Characters family
        AntiTraits BloodHumour, BlackBileHumour, YellowBileHumour

Level Calm
            Description Calm_desc
            EffectsDescription Calm_effects_desc
            Threshold  1
            Effect Authority 1

Level Composed
            Description Composed_desc
            EffectsDescription Composed_effects_desc
            Threshold  2
            Effect Authority 2

Level Phlegmatic
            Description Phlegmatic_desc
            EffectsDescription Phlegmatic_effects_desc
            Threshold  3
            Effect Authority -1
    Here you could fire off a trigger like that:

Code:
    Trigger CharacterTurnStart_Humours
        WhenToTest CharacterTurnStart
        Condition Trait RandomCharacter = 1
              and Trait BloodHumour = 0
              and Trait BlackBileHumour= 0
              and Trait YellowBileHumour = 0
              and Trait PhlegmHumour = 0

Affects BloodHumour  1  Chance  50
        Affects BlackBileHumour 1  Chance  50
        Affects YellowBileHumour  1  Chance  50
        Affects PhlegmHumour  1  Chance  50
    the result would be that this character only has one of these traits (or none at all). But he might have gained the effects of two of them by the Antrait feature. A possible solution would be to give the first level no effect and add the second level with the effects after the first one was acquired

Code:
    Trigger CharacterTurnStart_BloodHumour 
               and Trait BloodHumour = 1

Affects BloodHumour  1  Chance  100
    Another situation where I run into it would be things like talents. You could have a trait MilitaryTalent with its antitrait NoMilitaryTalent, and fire both with Chance 50 on game start. Here again you might acquire the effects for both. In this case my solution would be to merge them:

Code:
    ;----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Trait   MilitaryTalent
        Characters  family

Level   MilitaryTalent1  ;;; Military interest, average
            Description MilitaryTalent1_desc
            EffectsDescription  MilitaryTalent1_effects_desc
            Threshold 1        

Level   MilitaryTalent2 ;;; Military Talent, good
            Description MilitaryTalent2_desc
            EffectsDescription  MilitaryTalent2_effects_desc
            Threshold 2

Effect  Command 1
            Effect  Violence    2

Level   MilitaryTalent3  ;;; Military Incompetence, bad
            Description MilitaryTalent3_desc
            EffectsDescription  MilitaryTalent3_effects_desc
            Threshold 3

Effect  Command -1
            Effect  Violence    -2

Trigger CharacterTurnStart_MilitaryTalent

and Trait MilitaryTalent = 0

Affects MilitaryTalent  1  Chance  100
        Affects MilitaryTalent  1  Chance  50
        Affects MilitaryTalent  1  Chance  25

Blog Entries

I was thinking of using multi level traits with bad at the top (level 1) and good at the bottom (level 8) - the entry level would be level 4 (if not trait level >4 and <4 then give level4). all other triggers will add or subtract from there.

KEA's Avatar Senator

I have made the experience that the neutral level would be best placed at the first position and the good on the next (or the bad, depending on what you wish to be more dominant).

This explains some of the weird things i've observed in SS
    lot of work to do :/

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    No, they usually don't. Although a combined inheritance\family name script might throw up some interesting situations. Personally, I simply don't use anti traits - I rather write two triggers then take a gamble whether I remembered the basics correctly.

if trait a > 0
    then remove points from trait a

if trait a < 1
    then add points to trait b
    There's a slight gotcha to this approach, that you can get hit with a double-whammy. If a=1, and you pass your remove point check in the first trigger, now you are eligible for a < 1 (because a=0) in the second check. If you pass that roll, you've just advanced two ticks in one event. For example, in this event from EB2 that caused me to notice this issue and be referred to this thread for the AntiTrait bug:

Code:
    Trigger pillage_bad_disciplinarian_disciplined
      WhenToTest SackSettlement

Condition Trait Disciplinarian > 1

Affects Disciplinarian -1  Chance  20

Trigger pillage_bad_disciplinarian_undisciplined

Condition Trait Disciplinarian < 1

Affects BadDisciplinarian  1  Chance  20
    Here, you have a 4% chance to go all the way from +1 on the A trait to +1 on the B trait (1/5 * 1/5 = 1/25)

Proof:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

For simplicity, assume the Chance is 100% and the change is 1 point at a time, and the thresholds are 1 point

Case 1: a=0, b=0
    Trigger 1: a > 0 becomes 0 > 0 which is FALSE
    Result: Nothing changed
    Trigger 2: a < 1 becomes 0 < 1 which is TRUE
    Result: Points added to B
    Interpretation: If the event in question is designed to grow B and reduce A, this is correct. No problems with this case.
    END RESULT: a=0, b=1

Case 2: a=0, b=1
    Trigger 1: a > 0, 0 > 0 FALSE
    Trigger 2: a < 1, 0 < 1 TRUE
    Interpretation: This trigger set continues to function correctly, growing B when it already has a starting value the same as if both sides were 0 as in case 1
    END RESULT: a=0, b=2

Case 3: a=1, b=0
    Trigger 1: a > 0 becomes 1>0 which is TRUE
    Result: Points subtracted from A (a=0, b=0 at this stage)
    Trigger 2: a < 1 becomes 0 < 1 (no longer 1 < 1 due to the change we just made!), which is TRUE
    Interpretation: This is the double whammy. The change wrought by the first trigger makes you qualify for the second trigger, resulting in a total shift of two levels for just one event
    END RESULT: a=0, b=1

Case 4: a=3, b=0
    Trigger 1: 3 > 0 TRUE
    Result: a=2, b=0
    Trigger 2: 2 < 1 FALSE
    Result: a=2, b=0
    Interpretation: The double whammy only happens when shifting from the last level of A down to zero then starting up one level into B. It doesn't cause a problem when you're dropping levels in A but not getting below the second trigger's check.
    END RESULT: a=2, b=0

It seems that the proper general formula for avoiding this issue is to assess whether you are raising A or B and adjust the trigger order accordingly:

For events that would raise A and lower B, your two-trigger pair would be as follows:

1. trait b < 1, then
    add points to A

2. trait b > 0, then
    subtract points from B

Proof:

Trigger 1: 0 < 1 TRUE
    Result: Points added to A
    Trigger 2: 0 > 0 FALSE
    Interpretation: With no trait set, the A trait correctly begins to grow without messing with B.

Trigger 1: 1 < 1 FALSE
    Trigger 2: 1 > 0 TRUE
    Result: Points subtracted from B
    Interpretation: You have to clear out the B trait before you can start growing in A. This trigger combination correctly cleans up the B value without also growing A, which is ineligible on this iteration
    Note: If instead of b=1 we tried b=4 as a sample case, the results are the same. B gets a chance to reduce this tick without also improperly ticking up A.

Result: Points added to A
    Interpretation: Value is already positive to start, and correctly continues to grow without messing with its counter-trait
    Note: Same as case 2, A could have started at 7 if you have that many levels and the result would still be correct

Case 4: a=1, b=1
    Result: Points subtracted from B
    Interpretation: This is an invalid starting state, since the point is to simulate anti-traits and you shouldn't have both at the same time. However, at least it will self-heal a bit and start erasing your anti-trait and get you back to an a=1,b=0 healthy state

And for events that would lower A and raise B, you need your two-trigger pair different, as follows (note how now 'a' is the condition that matters and, as before, the 'add points' trigger comes first, despite being for trait B:

1. trait a < 1, then
    add points to B

2. trait a > 0, then
    subtract points from A

Proof:

Interpretation: B correctly begins to grow in light of this negative event, while A remains unchanged

Interpretation: B continues to worsen in light of this event, without the non-present A trait being affected

Result: Points subtracted from A
    Interpretation: The A trait goes down to zero without double-whammying a tick up in B as well, as the original method would have caused

Case 4: a=1, b=1
    Result: Points subtracted from A
    Interpretation: Another invalid state like in the other pair of triggers, but it heals it back to the valid a=0, b=1

So then here is a fully fleshed out example for the case when your "A" trait is "Disciplinarian" and your "B" trait is "BadDisciplinarian", and the event of Occupying a Settlement (instead of Capture or Raze) grants better discipline and the event of sacking a settlement worsens discipline, both at 20%:

All that needed changing was the order of the SackSettlement triggers. Previously they were mirroring the order of the OccupySettlement triggers, but that allowed for the whammy. The general case is you have to make the trigger that affects the trait that is the condition for this pair the SECOND of the two or it will cause a double-fire in the cases where the first trigger brings it below 1.

Code:
    Trigger occupation_disciplinarian_disciplined
      WhenToTest OccupySettlement

Condition Trait BadDisciplinarian < 1

Affects Disciplinarian  1  Chance  20

Trigger occupation_disciplinarian_undisciplined

Condition Trait BadDisciplinarian > 0

Affects BadDisciplinarian -1  Chance  20

tl;dr You have to make the trigger that Affects the trait that is the Condition for the pair of triggers the SECOND of the two or it will cause a double-fire in the cases where the first trigger brings it below 1, firing both triggers in a row.
    Last edited by myarta; November 25, 2015 at 10:59 PM.

Blog Entries

The example actually makes sense: you go from a good disciplinarian to a bad one when you pillage a settlement. There is no 'neutral' disciplinarian trait - that can only be achieved by having a multiple level trait, eg
    level1 = good
    level2 = neutral\default - requires 'catch all' triggers, eg ComingOfAge, Adopted etc
    level3 =bad
    I am a big fan of that method Starting with neutral has it own trigger pitfalls.

Yes, but I'm not talking about a neutral trait. I'm saying that there is a corner case during which the correct behavior of going from Good to Bad when you pillage a settlement is accidentally doubled in magnitude.

Imagine starting with GoodDisciplinarian at 1. Then let's say you make that 20% roll. Now GoodDisciplinarian doesn't exist on your sheet, and neither does bad. But because you ran that check first, now your trigger that raises BadDisciplinarian also fires, so you get a SECOND 20% chance for the same single action.

If you have Good or Bad disciplinarian at any other value than Good=1 when you start, you properly only get a SINGLE 20% shot at a trait shift, but there's this case in which you get double, and the solution is as simple as adjusting the order of the triggers so you don't change the Condition trait before you've checked it both times. I may have been too verbose and confusing the first time through.

Blog Entries

I think we both made an error:

A. the first trigger is 'more then level one' (two or more)
    B. the second trigger is 'less then level one' (zero or less)

If you reduce A. by one then you still have more then zero, meaning only one of the triggers will fire at any given time.
    Obvious question: is there a trigger that will reduce 'Disciplinarian' back to level 1 so that eventually a 'Bad Disciplinarian' trait can be given?
    I would think the correct format for A. should have been 'equal or larger then 1' if there are no other triggers.

The double whammy only comes into play if the first trigger actually succeeds to reduce the level (20% chance). Then it's another 20% chance that the 'bad' trait gets given - all in all the 4% chance you mentioned for both to happen which in this case I think is acceptable, considering how often the same person pillages a settlement For higher, accumulative chances (trigger percentage\event frequency) this system is obviously not suitable.
    Last edited by Gigantus; November 26, 2015 at 11:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    I think we both made an error:

A. the first trigger is 'more then level one' (two or more)
    B. the second trigger is 'less then level one' (zero or less)

If you reduce A. by one then you still have more then zero, meaning only one of the triggers will fire at any given time.
    Obvious question: is there a trigger that will reduce 'Disciplinarian' back to level 1 so that eventually a 'Bad Disciplinarian' trait can be given?
    I would think the correct format for A. should have been 'equal or larger then 1' if there are no other triggers.

The double whammy only comes into play if the first trigger actually succeeds to reduce the level (20% chance). Then it's another 20% chance that the 'bad' trait gets given - all in all the 4% chance you mentioned for both to happen which in this case I think is acceptable, considering how often the same person pillages a settlement For higher, accumulative chances (trigger percentage\event frequency) this system is obviously not suitable.
    Oh yes, you're right. I missed that in assessing that paste. I think if you expand the last spoiler though, you'll see my suggested replacement Disciplinarian triggers. I think those will work perfectly without having to accept a chance at a double whammy at all. Which is useful for when people write 100% triggers using this formula. The reasoning for why was assessed in the proof spoilers of my two general cases.

EDIT: Here, just posted. Do you see any gotchas or mistakes in these? I don't, but I may be blind to them. And they solve the double whammy problem. I agree that it's not worth wasting Dev team time on EB to go rework all double whammies out of the code, especially since it's the right effect at least, but on this thread people may be using this knowledge to write new triggers and then it's no problem for them to put them in the correct order from the get-go.

Code:

Last edited by myarta; November 26, 2015 at 11:41 PM.

Blog Entries

The bottom set seems to have the gap again - if the trait = 1 then absolutely nothing happens when sacking, copy\paste error? Else it looks fine.

Ah, right. I was more tired than I realized when writing that.

I think I stated the general formula correctly then goofed around with EB example code:

For events that would raise A and lower B, your two-trigger pair would be as follows:

1. trait b < 1, then
    add points to A

2. trait b > 0, then
    subtract points from B

And for events that would lower A and raise B, you need your two-trigger pair different, as follows (note how now 'a' is the condition that matters and, as before, the 'add points' trigger comes first, despite being for trait B:

1. trait a < 1, then
    add points to B

2. trait a > 0, then
    subtract points from A
    Should yield:
    Code:

Condition Trait Disciplinarian > 0

The only change being that last check needed to be 0 as you say.
    Last edited by myarta; November 27, 2015 at 11:32 AM. Reason: excess space removal

Blog Entries

I made that 'being tired' mistake myself - see the 'faction besieging itself' issue in EBII.

b0Gia de Bodemloze's Avatar Europa Barbarorum Dev

Can we sticky this thread please?
    Under the Patronage of Veteraan.
    Proud member of Europa Barbarorum 2 team, developer of EBNOM, developer of EB 1.21, developer of Diadochi Total War, developer of Hegemonia City States and creator of one modpack for Megas Alexandros.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by KEA View Post
    No, it's not broken, it simply cannot be used in EDCT. Only use it in EDA.
    Is it really true? In the Stainless Steel it's used in EDCT in some cases, for instance to signify that somebody has a provincial title, and I think it works well...

KEA's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    Is it really true? In the Stainless Steel it's used in EDCT in some cases, for instance to signify that somebody has a provincial title, and I think it works well...
    I don't know the EDCT of SS, but it doesn't work. Maybe the same trigger is in EDA as well.

Has anyone ever released code of the anit-traits and nogoingback removed or replaced? I assume nogoingback can just be deleted right? Or will that mess things up?

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by alreadyded View Post
    Has anyone ever released code of the anit-traits and nogoingback removed or replaced? I assume nogoingback can just be deleted right? Or will that mess things up?
    I don't mess with EBII, but in SSHIP if I want to have NGB effect, I put a "jump" in the thresholds of the levels. For instance, if I want the NBG3, the thresholds would be 1,2,3,14,15, and additional trigger for 4 points would be introduced, adding 10 points more. It's an effective no-going back. Sometimes it may be ackward, but you need to cope somehow).
    Does anybody see a problem with such a solution?

Quote Originally Posted by KEA View Post
    I don't know the EDCT of SS, but it doesn't work. Maybe the same trigger is in EDA as well.
    I think I was not clear enough. According to the context, the question was about "HasAncType" condition. I think it works well in EDCT as well.

---
    Using the opportunity of this post, I would like to ask if the old AntiTrait bug (mentioned in the second part of this post) is still in the M2TW engine? If yes, then the result would indeed be to steer away from using AntiTraits...
    Mod leader of the SSHIP: traits, ancillaries, scripts, buildings, geography, economy.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    If you want to play a historical mod in the medieval setting the best are:
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project and Broken Crescent.
    Recently, Tsardoms and TGC look also very good. Read my opinions on the other mods here.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    Reviews of the mods (all made in 2018): SSHIP, Wrath of the Norsemen, Broken Crescent.
    Follow home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Hints for Medieval 2 moders: forts, merchants, AT-NGB bug, trade fleets.
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding. Shieldwall is promising!
    Dominant strategy in Rome2, Attila, ToB and Troy: “Sniping groups of armies”. Still there, alas!

KEA's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    I think I was not clear enough. According to the context, the question was about "HasAncType" condition. I think it works well in EDCT as well.
    No, it doesn't. Just try it out.
    Last edited by KEA; January 18, 2017 at 08:38 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast